PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mountain Shelter (GA)

Former Admin
09-10-2002, 05:07
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Blue Mountain Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Hammock Hanger
09-10-2002, 06:20
The sunrise from this area is beautiful!! I'll try and post a pic. HH

hacksaw
09-13-2002, 00:27
During wet/cold weather this shelter is BRUTAL! I heard rumors that GATC has re oriented the opening of the shelter to provide more protection from the prevailing winds, but I haven't been that way since they are alleged to have done it. Blue skin shelter would not be an inappropriate name for this place...not one of my favorites...EXCEPT for the views, which can be spectacular.

Hacksaw

Squirrel
01-20-2003, 19:37
This shelter is mouse hell. I have heard mice in most of the shelters, but they make a great effort to hit you as many times with their trash during the night. I swept the floor before I threw my bag down one night and swept it the next morning. I had a large pile of their trash by the time I was done. They will run through the tarp too and chew holes through it. They leave their trash in the tarp too. I have stayed there twice and both times I had mouse problems.

-Squirrel

SGT Rock
01-20-2003, 20:14
I agree with squirrel. That was the worst place I've ever been for active mice.

PushingDaisies
01-20-2003, 20:41
There is a campsite (site of a former shelter) that is about a mile or so before this shelter if you are heading north. A great spot to stop at night as an alternative to this shelter.

Jumpstart
01-21-2003, 16:35
We stopped here for a snack and noticed the abundance of WIND..and the registers onfirmend that people who had slept there had rigged up tents and tarps over the entrance to help shield the wind... nice views, though

chris
01-21-2003, 16:42
When I was there in May, some kind person had rigged up a semi-permanent wind break out of a large blue plastic tarp, complete with system to pull it up and out of the way during windless periods. Very well done.

bjackw
03-03-2003, 13:39
I spent about 30 minutes at this shelter yesterday (March 2nd). Water is nearby and flowing nicely. But the wind was horrible! I froze my tail off. There was some tarp-like material stuff under the floor so I guess you can create a make-shift windbreak.

Footslogger
03-03-2003, 20:32
The water supply for Blue Mountain shelter is on the uphill trail towards the shelter. So, if it's been a long day and you're not looking forward to hiking back down hill and then back up again be sure to grab your water on your way to the shelter.

Moose2001
03-04-2003, 08:01
Has anyone EVER been at Blue Mountain when the wind wasn't blowing??

Squirrel
03-05-2003, 00:30
I have been there three times when the wind was not blowing. But the mice were always active.

Youngblood
06-22-2003, 11:14
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=620&papass=&sort=1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1278

Coosa
07-28-2003, 21:56
:) If you want the Blue Mountain Shelter in Georgia re-oriented away from the wind, write emails or letters to the GATC with copies to the ATC. The more complaints by Thrus and Section Hikers, the better the odds are that something will be done.

For some reason, the GATC doesn't take action on requests until the ATC gets many many letters about certain situations.

Cases in point:

1- The GATC still has not put a double blaze on the rocks at Blood Mountain where the Trail takes a sharp LEFT. The only blaze points straight and MANY hikers end up at the bottom of a rock cliff before realizing they just might possibly be going in the wrong direction. MANY have complained, nothing's been done.

2- Coming off Cowrock, assuming the hiker stops and looks sharp left for the blaze that is TOO high, the trail zigs and zags (don't try this in the dark) but there are NO double blazes on the trees where it zigs or zags. HOWEVER, the GATC did cut some trees and bushes near the base of the hill as it enters Tesnatee Gap (or Testatee Gap as you will) so that the hiker can see the nice blaze to their left on the other side of the parking area, only after many people wrote about not seeing the white blaze but looking straight ahead from the Trail, seeing the dip in the berm and thinking that the AT traveled in that direction.

3- At Hog Pen Gap, the GATC did place a SECOND post with a white blaze to the left of the Trail Head (going NoBo) along the side of the road headed up to Hog Pen Gap and a double blaze on the post with the "hikers" metal sign for SoBos. But this occured only after a number of early season hikers hiked to the right looking for the AT instead of hiking to the left.

In that last case, I was able to rescue a hiker a couple of years ago who had hiked 45 minutes to the right (wrong direction) in 25* weather with a wind chill of 5* -- she was hypothermic and I insisted she come home with me. She hadn't eaten since breakfast, either. Her mother was most appreciative and was one of the people who wrote the GATC and the ATC. She nearly lost her daughter to hypothermia because the GATC had not acted on my earlier request to consider a second post and white blaze at that spot.

In ANY State you live in, be sure you send a copy of any correspondence to the Maintaining Club to the ATC.

(Yeah, I'm the Mouth of the South in North Georgia)
Coosa:banana

Youngblood
07-28-2003, 22:10
When I was by there in December, I noticed that they had made some significant changes to the shelter. First, they extended the roof over the front of the shelter to make a covered area. The roof extends downward so it should block some of the wind. Second, they extended the side walls, which should also provide significant improvement to the wind. Third, they had a tarp tucked under the sleeping platform.

Coosa
07-28-2003, 22:20
I've heard from some Thrus who have used that shelter that the wind and rain STILL blast into the shelter, even with the extensions. The GATC had stated a year or so ago that they were going to re-orient the shelter so that the back would be to the wind. I have no clue, other than the "view" and "lovely sunrise" (when it's not freezing or raining) is the reason they left it as is.

I've been hiking on Blue Mountain when a thunderstorm would bounce between Rocky/Tray Mountains and Blue Mountains and it would not be raining less than a half mile in either direction driving down the Highway at Unicoi Gap.

Coosa
:Dbanana

Youngblood
07-28-2003, 22:32
Originally posted by Coosa
:) If you want the Blue Mountain Shelter in Georgia re-oriented away from the wind, write emails or letters to the GATC with copies to the ATC. The more complaints by Thrus and Section Hikers, the better the odds are that something will be done.

For some reason, the GATC doesn't take action on requests until the ATC gets many many letters about certain situations.

Cases in point:

1- The GATC still has not put a double blaze on the rocks at Blood Mountain where the Trail takes a sharp LEFT. The only blaze points straight and MANY hikers end up at the bottom of a rock cliff before realizing they just might possibly be going in the wrong direction. MANY have complained, nothing's been done.

2- Coming off Cowrock, assuming the hiker stops and looks sharp left for the blaze that is TOO high, the trail zigs and zags (don't try this in the dark) but there are NO double blazes on the trees where it zigs or zags. HOWEVER, the GATC did cut some trees and bushes near the base of the hill as it enters Tesnatee Gap (or Testatee Gap as you will) so that the hiker can see the nice blaze to their left on the other side of the parking area, only after many people wrote about not seeing the white blaze but looking straight ahead from the Trail, seeing the dip in the berm and thinking that the AT traveled in that direction.

3- At Hog Pen Gap, the GATC did place a SECOND post with a white blaze to the left of the Trail Head (going NoBo) along the side of the road headed up to Hog Pen Gap and a double blaze on the post with the "hikers" metal sign for SoBos. But this occured only after a number of early season hikers hiked to the right looking for the AT instead of hiking to the left.

In that last case, I was able to rescue a hiker a couple of years ago who had hiked 45 minutes to the right (wrong direction) in 25* weather with a wind chill of 5* -- she was hypothermic and I insisted she come home with me. She hadn't eaten since breakfast, either. Her mother was most appreciative and was one of the people who wrote the GATC and the ATC. She nearly lost her daughter to hypothermia because the GATC had not acted on my earlier request to consider a second post and white blaze at that spot.

In ANY State you live in, be sure you send a copy of any correspondence to the Maintaining Club to the ATC.

(Yeah, I'm the Mouth of the South in North Georgia)
Coosa:banana

Coosa,

I have always thought the GATC did a great job maintaining and marking the trail. I don't feel that way about all the trail clubs along the AT. It is unfortunate that the hiker missed the turn. There are times that the visibility drops drastically at Hog Pen Gap and when that happens it can be difficult to see 10 feet in front of you. When it is cold and wet, it is a struggle out there. I too had to stop a couple of thru-hikers on my AT thru-hike that were becoming hypothermal. This was at noon in Maine in August and trail blazes had nothing to do with it (their waterproof jackets weren't and they didn't have anything for their legs or hands). I had to make them stop at the first shelter, get them quickly into their bags and then start a fire with wet wood (yes, it can USUALLY be done if you know how) for them to warm up/dry out by. Hot drinks/food works wonders too. The problem is that when a person gets hypothermal, they sometimes don't make rational decisions and if they are alone they can get in serious trouble.

Youngblood

Coosa
07-28-2003, 22:49
Well, Youngblood, if it were ONLY one or two hikers, I can understand that maybe it's the Hikers who need the education.

But when it's dozens and dozens of hikers when the weather is "perfect" for hiking or when it's just plain so cold a hiker keeps her head down and watches those white blazes, trusting in those who placed them on rocks and trees or when it's nearly impossible to see blazes on rocks and the blazes on trees are covered with rime-ice or when a hiker has to hike in the dark early in the Thru Season when the days end early in the evening, I kind of think there might be a problem. At least a "small" one.

The GATC does a fair job of keeping the trail maintained. Right now, well a couple weeks ago, there were quite a few miles that were overgrown. With the rain we've had here, no one can keep up with the growth and I recognize that. So no fault on the GATC for not keeping all of the Georgia Trail clear all year round.

They do have good crews of members who seem to enjoy the Saturday Work Trips and they have done much more work on drainage in the past couple of years than the 8 years I was a member. Or was it 7? Who's counting??

I was told (Trail Days 2002) by someone who works at the ATC that no one should hike the AT unless they are expert in Map and Compass. AND that it was EXPECTED that hikers would get lost while hiking the AT.

Benton MacKay is probably turning over in his grave.

Coosa
:banana

Youngblood
07-29-2003, 11:12

But when it's dozens and dozens of hikers when the weather is "perfect" for hiking or when it's just plain so cold a hiker keeps her head down and watches those white blazes, trusting in those who placed them on rocks and trees or when it's nearly impossible to see blazes on rocks and the blazes on trees are covered with rime-ice or when a hiker has to hike in the dark early in the Thru Season when the days end early in the evening, I kind of think there might be a problem. At least a "small" one.

Coosa,

I think we need to stay focused on one type of weather condition, otherwise we will get off on all sorts of tangents. Let's pick "perfect" hiking weather, okay? I think we are both 'well seasoned' and 'well meaning' hikers. I miss turns sometimes because of lack of attention, sometimes because of poor/nonexsisting/hidden markings and sometimes because the terrain is confusing. I think the trail conditions and markings on the Georgia section of the AT are in great shape. I don't think a solid white line painted down the middle of the trail will keep everyone from missing a turn every now and then. When you are heading northbound off the summit of Blood Mountain you are naturally looking off to your right where the vistas are, and it is easy to miss the gradual turn to the left. So what, you will figure it out before you have gone very far, laugh about it, turn around and then find the trail. At road crossings if you don't immediately see a blaze, you pick a direction and walk a few minutes looking for the trail. If you don't find it, you turn around and look in the other direction until you do. If you miss a turn at a switchback or trail re-route it is a little tougher because sometimes you don't know how long it has been since you saw a blaze, but you do the same thing, you back track until you pick up the trail again. I hike the GA section quite often, in both directions, and I still say the GATC does a great job. It is a big area with other intersecting trails and such -- it does however, require some trail savvy... as it should. IF it was 'totally tame', would you enjoy it as much? Some of the excitement in hiking/backpacking is the fact that it is not totally safe, you don't know for sure what you will run into and what you will have to do to handle the situation. To me, that is part of the appeal of hiking/backpacking the AT. "If my grandmother is going to hike the trail, she is going to have to be a tough ole gal".

For what it is worth, I thought the AT in the White Mountains of NH were downright dangerous... but I would/will hike them again, I think.

Youngblood

zydecajun
07-29-2003, 15:54
I passed this shelter in Feb 2003 and didn't spend the night because of the freezing wind and the absolutely amazing amount of mice debris on the shelter floor. Other than the viewa, no reason to stop here.

Coosa
07-31-2003, 13:08
Youngblood, you sound like a GATC member.

As long as the 'excitement' on the Trail is provided by the Trail and not by a Hiker (or a non-hiker who happens to be on the Trail) I can live with that.

And I can avoid Blue Mountain Shelter since I live here in the North Georgia Mountains.

Coosa

Youngblood
07-31-2003, 19:49
Youngblood, you sound like a GATC member.

Coosa

Nope. I just think the AT in Georgia is one of the best marked and maintained trails that I have been on. I can't think of any section that has anything more than a 'moderate danger factor' to it. Certainly nothing like Albert Mountain (NC), Dragon's Tooth (VA), etc. And I don't recall having any problems staying on the trail, like I did in parts of PA and NH. I just made my statements because I very much disagreed with your assessment of the AT in Georgia, respectfully disagreed.

Now, in bad weather it can be bad news in the outdoors... that's when it is time to consider 'setting it out' in a shelter or better yet, in town. If the lady you rescued at Hog Pen Gap got a 'do over', I wonder if she would opt for the 1.2 mile sidetrail to Whitley Gap Shelter to get out of the wind and warm up. I can think of a least one incident I had that I would opt for the safe-but-slow choice if I had a 'do over'.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
07-31-2003, 21:04

Hikerhead
10-22-2003, 20:25
Originally posted by Youngblood

I have always thought the GATC did a great job maintaining and marking the trail. I don't feel that way about all the trail clubs along the AT. It is unfortunate that the hiker missed the turn. There are times that the visibility drops drastically at Hog Pen Gap and when that happens it can be difficult to see 10 feet in front of you. When it is cold and wet, it is a struggle out there. I too had to stop a couple of thru-hikers on my AT thru-hike that were becoming hypothermal. This was at noon in Maine in August and trail blazes had nothing to do with it (their waterproof jackets weren't and they didn't have anything for their legs or hands). I had to make them stop at the first shelter, get them quickly into their bags and then start a fire with wet wood (yes, it can USUALLY be done if you know how) for them to warm up/dry out by. Hot drinks/food works wonders too. The problem is that when a person gets hypothermal, they sometimes don't makerational decisions and if they are alone they can get in serious trouble.

Youngblood [/B] [U]start a fire with wet wood (yes, it can USUALLY be done if you know how)

Tell us, what's your secret.

smokymtnsteve
10-22-2003, 21:10
back in feb 2000 I found a guy in the 2nd part of hyothermia.....he was cold and wet and sitting down and not shivering any more..

I had been hiking the GA section sobo and it had been nasty weather cold rain and ice...

so things were pretty wet....Now I needed a fire and I needed for the guy then fast ....I found a old drink bottle that some one had left at the shelter and filled it about quarter of the way up with stove fuel ...around this I piled just lots and lots of really small twiggy branches...stuff no bigger than a pencil...and I had lots of it ready to add...well I lite the end of the coke bottle and the stove fuel vapor burnt like a Torch you could see the coleman fuel a boiling in that coke bottle and it a burning on the top....well the coke bottle started to melt but kinda slow and I keep adding really small stuff to the fire and just kept putting small stuff on ...you really need a lot of smaller wood more than you need big logs...the smaller stuff is drier esp if it hadn't been laying directly on the ground...and lightered pine knot is good too..if you can find some
Thar ain't as much lightered pine around as they use to be...

well i got the fire to going and we dried that guy and his sleeping bag and clothes out and got some hot food in to him...and he got alright...hot tea and honey is good ..gives quick sugar

Youngblood
10-22-2003, 21:35
Yeah, what SmokyMtnSteve said about getting a fire started- alcohol and TP is what I usually use for a fire starter. The other tricks in emergencies is to use the lower dead limbs/branches on pine trees and some wet sticks are dry enough if you shave off the bark with a knife. You have to look around and see what/if you have anything to work with. The point is, it is not always hopeless if it is wet and you really need to start a fire. And of course, there will always be situations where you can't. In those situations you have to figure out something else.

Youngblood

Hikerhead
10-22-2003, 21:37
Good thinking Smokeymtnsteve,

Had you done that or seen it done before? Would just pouring some fuel on the wet wood get it going?

I bet that guy was glad you were around.

radar
10-22-2003, 21:40
No doubt that blazes, and double blazes can help keep hikers on the trail.

Maps can also help. It is quite obvious on the official AT map that the trail takes a jog to the left at the road crossing at Hogpen Gap before re-entering the woods. My guess is that only 5-10% of thru-hikers carry maps.

But even a flashing light every ten feet isn't going to help a hiker who doesn't take note of and act accordingly when weather conditions and/or their own body is screaming HYPOTHERMIA.

Hikers, especially solo hikers, are responsible for their own safety on the trail (any trail), regardless of trail conditions or markings (or lack thereof). It isn't right to suggest that the GATC is responsible when a hiker become hypothermic.

smokymtnsteve
10-22-2003, 22:42
just pouring the fuel on the wood and lighting it would just flash out quick...the fuel in the bottle burns like a little torch for a while with the bottle and the plastics melts and burns ..kinda like how you can boil water in paper cup..
you shouldn't burn plastics in a fire pit on the trail...but this guy was really freezing to death..so I did it ....wouldn't burn palstic just for a friendly campfire....but this guy had gotten wet the night before and didn't have the proper equipment to be out there and the weather was horrible...a ice storm came in that night that shut the city of atlanta down for three days,,,,
and this guy was in the second stage of hypothermia ..in hypothermia the first thing that happens is you start to shake ..and not just small shivers...sooner or later if you don't get warma and dry your body runs out of energy and you sit down and stop shaking,,,you act stupid( very easy for some of us) and as this guy put it.."I had just given into the cold"...after a while your skin starts to freeze and you take your clothes off and throw your gear away cause you feel like your skin is burning but it's not it's freezzing ...at this stage you probably won't make it...even if someone comes along and starts a fire..

I also use TP and olive oil as fire starter ..two things I always have with me in my pack ....just make a wad of TP and lightly soak it with oilive oil and you have something that will burn like a wick and burn hot.

Hikerhead
10-23-2003, 20:26
Thanks for the tip on the Olive Oil, I've never tried it or would have thought of it. I'm going to try it out now to see how that works.

Blue Jay
10-24-2003, 10:28
Another trick to be used only in an emergency is White Birch Bark. This stuff will burn even after being under water. Strip it of a live tree and you kill the tree so only use it to keep something else alive.

bretb
01-16-2004, 12:11
I spent the night there this week and the shelter was pretty clean. The winds were very bad so we set up our bivys in the shelter. During the night I could see the mice clawling over my bivy. One even got face to face with me through the mesh. This didn't keep us from sleeping however. My hiking partner's food bag was assaulted while bear bagged on the supplied cables during the night.

Bret

Chip
05-14-2004, 21:05
WOW !!!! Mice everywhere at this shelter. The darn things even come out before sundown. BEWARE !!! We slept in our tent away from this place ! ;)

Kerosene
05-15-2004, 12:08
I used this shelter in mid-April 2004. Fortunately, the wind wasn't very strong, but what little there was (from behind the shelter) seemed to come up through the floorboards. At least one mouse was out at dusk, but they didn't bother me.

BlackCloud
10-21-2004, 09:16
Has anyone EVER been at Blue Mountain when the wind wasn't blowing??
I stopped in for lunch on a cloudy October day (2004) & had a fine time. With a reported mouse kill in excess of twenty on the wall, I was delighted to be moving on....:bse

Dances with Mice
10-21-2004, 10:54
I tarped behind Blue Mtn a few years ago one rainy Spring (that's redundant, I know) and the next morning work up to find a big patch of funny looking mushrooms had sprung up right at the edge of my tarp. They were distinctive enough that I remembered and looked them up later.

They were morels! A huge patch. Wish I'd taken a picture.

Tabasco
06-01-2005, 08:41
I camped with 6 or 8 GATC members on Memorial Day weekend in the Cumberland Gap. They said that they will be building a privy at Blue Mtn Shelter soon, said the materials were flown in a couple of weeks ago.

TurboDog
01-02-2006, 12:57
I'm planning a quick hike from Deep Gap,NC to Hogpen Gap,GA in the next couple of weeks with one night being at Blue Mtn shelter. After reading many of the comments in this thread, I'm wondering if I should possibly seek an alternative site. Has any work been done on the shelter? Privy constructed, shelter orientation changed, mice eradicated?
I gather that this is a cold shelter to begin with, so I can only imagine what it would be like in the winter. Brrrrr
Any suggestions or recommendations would certainly be welcome.
TurboDog

max patch
01-02-2006, 13:26
1 mile south of Blue Mtn Shelter is where the old shelter was at Rocky Knob before it was dismanted when Blue was built. Its flat w/water close by so you can easily camp there if you don't like Blue. Much better views from Blue, though.

Dances with Mice
01-02-2006, 13:36
I'm planning a quick hike from Deep Gap,NC to Hogpen Gap,GA in the next couple of weeks with one night being at Blue Mtn shelter. After reading many of the comments in this thread, I'm wondering if I should possibly seek an alternative site. Has any work been done on the shelter? Privy constructed, shelter orientation changed, mice eradicated?
I gather that this is a cold shelter to begin with, so I can only imagine what it would be like in the winter. Brrrrr
Any suggestions or recommendations would certainly be welcome.
TurboDogThere are always alternatives to shelters. Continue south, downhill, past Blue Mtn Shelter and in about 1/2 mile, maybe less, you'll arrive at a beautiful camping area in a sheltered cove. Can't miss it, the Trail makes a big turn right through it. Campsites are clearly visible on either side of the trail and water is from a stream nearby in the Trail West direction.

It's an old shelter site, it's out of the wind, and has better campsites and water supply than the mountaintop location.

Edited to add: Max says it's a mile from Blue, I didn't think it was that far. But we're thinking of the same place.

Frosty
01-02-2006, 14:14
When I was there last year, someone has strung a tarp over the front near the table/counter thing, blocking off a lot of the wind, but also the view. Wind still blew up through the floorboards, though.

Smile
01-02-2006, 19:13
So heading NoBo this area is about a mile before this shelter?

Frosty
01-02-2006, 21:21
So heading NoBo this area is about a mile before this shelter?My recollection is that it was much closer than a mile. I hate to jinx you by saying this, but "you can't miss it." It is after all the stupid rocks where you slab across the hill and just around when you begin climbing again. Clearing on both sides of the trail. Water was just up the trail, or there may even be water at the campsite. I didn't investigate but continued on to the shelter.

Dances with Mice
01-02-2006, 22:10
So heading NoBo this area is about a mile before this shelter?Now that I'm back home and can check my Trail Guide:

It is half a mile before Blue Mtn Shelter, and you really can't miss it. NoBo, it'll be a big flat open area a couple miles past Chattahoochee Gap (10.1 miles from Tesnatee), after Chatt Gap you'll leave the ridge and sidehill across some loose rocks just like Frosty said (10.7 mi.) then drop down into a cove with the campsite, listed at 11.8 miles. Blue Mtn Shelter is listed at 12.3 miles, then Unicoi Gap at 14.5.

SoBo, you'd just walk past the water source at Blue and continue downhill until the trail flattens out at a big campsite.

Mongoose2
01-02-2006, 22:42
I was there in the spring and the tarp was still in place, however, it was so brutal I elected to hike off the mountain. It was so cold and windy my teeth are still clacking together. I have no idea how the mice survive!!

Mongoose

Youngblood
01-03-2006, 10:02
.... I have no idea how the mice survive!!
They make little mouse sleeping bags filled with TP.

Frosty
01-03-2006, 13:09
They make little mouse sleeping bags filled with TP.Fortunately for the mice, there is a lot of tp available, scattered for yards around the shelter.

Smile
01-03-2006, 17:07
The GATC still has not put a double blaze on the rocks at Blood Mountain where the Trail takes a sharp LEFT. The only blaze points straight and MANY hikers end up at the bottom of a rock cliff before realizing they just might possibly be going in the wrong direction. MANY have complained, nothing's been done.

I see in the 05 TH's handbook that there is Blood Mtn Shelter listed, but not "Blood Mtn" itself. Anybody have the mileage NOBO on this Mtn? Or is the shelter at the top?

Skidsteer
01-03-2006, 17:58
I see in the 05 TH's handbook that there is Blood Mtn Shelter listed, but not "Blood Mtn" itself. Anybody have the mileage NOBO on this Mtn? Or is the shelter at the top?

The shelter is at the top; the trail goes by so close you can reach out and touch it.

I would plan on staying at Wood's hole shelter, however, or just push on to Neel's gap. The Blood mtn. shelter is a rodent condominium and there is no water.

minnesotasmith
01-03-2006, 18:19
I was sectioning from Neels Gap to (as it turned out) Dick's Creek Gap. I was alone that night on a relatively cool (for July) night. I actually didn't have much problem with mice at all, but then, I put absolutely everything up on bear cables (pack, toiletries, cooking stuff, clothes not part of my clothing bag pillow, etc) that I did not feel I needed to have immediately available to me during the night. Too, I swept out the shelter immediately upon arrival, and did not eat up on the wooden area (did so on the too-narrow benches at the front edge of the shelter area). I did not put out mousetraps or sleep with a light on.

The register contained more notes about close-call bear sightings than any other shelter register I've read (and I've stayed in virtually every shelter on the AT in GA).

BTW, judging from my experience last summer, there is a lot of Trail in GA that needed pruning, once you get North of the first shelter past Neels. I had a couple of miles where the brush practically touched and was 2 feet above my head.

justusryans
03-20-2006, 14:27
Blue mountain shelter now has a privy!!

Smile
03-27-2006, 14:37
Coosa: Well, Youngblood, if it were ONLY one or two hikers, I can understand that maybe it's the Hikers who need the education.

Yes, this was a bad area.....I pulled into Neels Gap around 4 pm, and well into dark, folks were coming into the shelter, most had missed the turn, it was a really nice day up until dark, then the next two days turned very ugly. Perhaps they need someone to buy them some paint - I'm surprised that a local hiker has not taken it upon themselves to put up a little arrow/blaze on the rocks to help out other hikers.....

I am thankful that I wrote this in my guidebook before leaving, thanks to WhiteBlaze I have several notes like this throughout the book - it really helped me that day, and I can't imagine what it must be like up there in the pea soup fog that happens regularly in the spring.

Today, I was checking through trailjournals, and this section was mentioned several times by folks on there recently, several who went on down the steep hill, in bad weather this is just plain dangerous. There is also not a blaze at the TOP of the moutain either, one right next to the shelter would be nice ;-) to say...uhh....go this way....

What is the hold up with the GATC to get this done, anybody know?

River Runner
04-27-2006, 03:05
Tried sleeping beside this shelter in my hammock Easter Sunday evening, but the wind came up so strongly during the night it tore a stake loose twice, and the fly was flapping so much I just gave up, took the hammock down and crawled into the shelter. The shelter provided a lot of protection from the wind that night at least.
One mouse spotted earlier that evening didn't show again and no noticeable mouse activity during the night.
The new privy is nice. Getting water on the way if you are northbound is a smart idea - it's a good little jaunt back to the water otherwise.
By the way, it didn't seem water was very close to the campsite others have described a mile or so south of the shelter. Maybe because I passed through in a dry spell?

UnkaJesse
05-21-2006, 11:51
Hey guys, I'm a newbie and you all get to read my first post!

I can't beleive that after reading all this good info on the Blue Mountain Shelter that no one mentions bees. I stayed @ this shelter last August ('05). No problems with the wind, and great privy. I did not find that the mice were any worse here than at Tray Mtn.

The problems started when the sun came up. (Great sunrise, btw!) That woke up about a billion bees that seemed to live under the shelter. It was terrible, but at least it got us on the trail quickly. I got stung on the butt in the melee and one of my hiking partners had to pull the stinger out for me. I still live in fear that a photo of that will surface on the web.

To sum up, I think it is a great shelter to us if:
1)

UnkaJesse
05-21-2006, 11:52
[quote=UnkaJesse]Hey guys, I'm a newbie and you all get to read my first post!

I can't beleive that after reading all this good info on the Blue Mountain Shelter that no one mentions bees. I stayed @ this shelter last August ('05). No problems with the wind, and great privy. I did not find that the mice were any worse here than at Tray Mtn.

The problems started when the sun came up. (Great sunrise, btw!) That woke up about a billion bees that seemed to live under the shelter. It was terrible, but at least it got us on the trail quickly. I got stung on the butt in the melee and one of my hiking partners had to pull the stinger out for me. I still live in fear that a photo of that will surface on the web.

To sum up, I think it is a great shelter to us if:
1) You mis the weekend crowds.
2) You get up before sunrise.

scope
07-17-2006, 15:09
I can't beleive that after reading all this good info on the Blue Mountain Shelter that no one mentions bees.

Just stayed at the BMS this past weekend, and I can verify that bees are a problem. It appeared that bees were prevalent in the area, not just at the shelter, but at the shelter there was a constant buzzing of bees on the pebble pad that fronts the shelter. They never bothered me, but there were so many that it would seem inevitable that someone would get stung at some point (I was the only one there).

p.s. no mice, no TP, and no wind other than a pleasant breeze. Shelter was very clean, complete with a ladder and old tarp stored underneath. Recent journal entries did not mention mice, but their were bear sightings from the trail. After passing all the blackberries bushes on the trail I can see why! Also, newer privy and no picnic table.

scope
07-17-2006, 15:20
By the way, it didn't seem water was very close to the campsite others have described a mile or so south of the shelter. Maybe because I passed through in a dry spell?

There were two blue-blazed markers SOBO of the shelter, one is supposed to be .3 mile - water was not flowing well here but there was a small pool/puddle to pull from which didn't seem apetizing to me. Another .3 mile or so further is a blue blaze for water requiring a short jaunt down the hillside and I found this to be a better source, although still not flowing well. I did not see a water source at the campsite either. Keep in mind this is July and we've had a drought, although mother nature didn't get the memo - I got a nice little bath from her!

Dances with Mice
07-17-2006, 15:25
no TP, I assume you meant there were no TP blossoms sprouting just outside the camping area and that's a good thing.

scope
07-17-2006, 15:52
I assume you meant there were no TP blossoms sprouting just outside the camping area and that's a good thing.

No, just weeds, lots of that. Got scratches on my leg on the way to the privy.

bulldog49
11-02-2006, 14:47
I stopped here for a lunch break last week.

Has the shelter been turned away from the wind? It appeared to be facing in an easterly direction and all week the wind was blowing into shelters facing the west. Not much of a breeze while I was there but it was clean.

Monkeyboy
07-10-2007, 22:04
Had lunch there on 7-4-07.

Water source is .5 mile down trail, but acceptable quality.

Otherwise clean and bug free. Privy was okay.

Sailor (The other one)
11-03-2008, 20:32
Stayed there two weeks ago. Brutal wind, straight into the shelter, blowing rain under the overhang. Kept up all night. We put a tarp and poncho over the opening, covered all the cracks between the floorboards we could. No mice :confused:. Probably smart enough to stay out of there on a night like that.

River Runner
11-03-2008, 23:24
Stayed there two weeks ago. Brutal wind, straight into the shelter, blowing rain under the overhang. Kept up all night. We put a tarp and poncho over the opening, covered all the cracks between the floorboards we could. No mice :confused:. Probably smart enough to stay out of there on a night like that.

Seeing the register tube on the side wall reminded me of the trail magic we got there Easter morning 2006 - someone was kind enough to leave some plastic easter eggs filled with jelly beans in a little velour pouch. It was pretty cool.

We had a lot of wind that night too, but no blowing rain. I was hammocking and after my tarp blew free of a stake the second time I got up and crashed in the shelter for the rest of the night.

Good times. A miserable night on the trail is still better than a day at the office. :D

Lone Wolf
11-04-2008, 04:35

real dumb spot for a shelter

Tinker
11-04-2008, 07:46
real dumb spot for a shelter

Built for the view alone, is my guess.

Hung my hammock there at lunchtime in March of '06 when it was unseasonably warm. Something bit the bottom of my big toe and gave me quite a welt. Later I noticed a small critter that looked like a blackfly. They aren't supposed to be down there in Georgia, are they?

Lone Wolf
11-04-2008, 07:49
Built for the view alone, is my guess.

most likely. the old shelter site a mile south of blue mtn. was fine. no reason to tear it down

hperry
11-06-2008, 08:41
Had lunch there on 7-4-07.

Water source is .5 mile down trail, but acceptable quality.

Otherwise clean and bug free. Privy was okay.
you can always hit the water source on the AT about a quarter mile before the shelter.

its a nice spring on your left, about 10 yards downhill on your way up ole blue.

Dances with Mice
11-06-2008, 09:57
most likely. the old shelter site a mile south of blue mtn. was fine. no reason to tear it down

you can always hit the water source on the AT about a quarter mile before the shelter. its a nice spring on your left, about 10 yards downhill on your way up ole blue. I think y'all are both talking about the same place. The old shelter site, downhill just south of Blue, is today a great campsite with water. I've stayed there several times. It's out of the wind and is a lot more comfortable place to tent than the area around the shelter. The shelter was moved, not torn down, years ago to give the area a chance to recover since it was getting bombed. And that worked, it's really nice now.

There is a small spring near the shelter site but it's probably dry now.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2008, 10:05
The shelter was moved, not torn down, years ago to give the area a chance to recover since it was getting bombed. And that worked, it's really nice now.

moved to where?

Dances with Mice
11-06-2008, 11:21
moved to where?Blue Mtn. I heard it was the same shelter but I don't really know. I wasn't there.

Lone Wolf
11-06-2008, 11:30
Blue Mtn. I heard it was the same shelter but I don't really know. I wasn't there.

nope. not the same one at all.

max patch
11-06-2008, 14:01
Blue Mtn. I heard it was the same shelter but I don't really know. I wasn't there.

The old Rocky Knob Shelter was built in 1960. Like LW said; not the same.

Ekul
02-18-2009, 11:23
Stayed at the tents sites just south of Blue Mt shelter then stopped in for bfast the next morning. The tent site is very nice and flat with lots of grass and leaves for cushioning if you are on the ground The wind was blowing 20mph and right into the shelter. No table to cook at and as if you could bc of the wind. Pretty view but shelters are too noisy with the snoring and mice. Nice place to take a break.

ssforcey
04-14-2009, 11:32
Wanting to see if a stop into Helen is feasible. Anyone know how far Helen is from Blue Mountain Shelter?

Thanks,
Sharon

Lone Wolf
04-14-2009, 11:34
2.2 miles to the road then 9 miles to town on the road

B.B.
07-21-2010, 20:16
Stayed there 7-14-2010. Shelter was nice...Pretty clean. Privy in bad shape though...do not go there!!!! It is full to the TOP and flies are really bad... Water was pretty low, but we managed to get water.

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2010, 20:21
Privy in bad shape though...do not go there!!!! It is full to the TOP and flies are really bad...
I don't use privies anymore, so that's funny:D

royalusa
05-01-2011, 21:45
Was at Blue Mountain Shelter today and it was generally clean, except for a large tarp that used to hang in the shelter opening that is now torn to pieces. Which got me to wondering, who brings these huge tarps to the shelter? There are 2 at this one. Surely the local trail club, with their LNT practices, is not adding tarps to shelters, are they?

map man
07-08-2017, 21:12
This shelter does have several flat places to tent near it for those who prefer to tent closer to the shelter than the good tenting site that's a half mile south of the shelter.