PDA

View Full Version : Doing laundry

Blissful
02-23-2006, 21:52
Hi all.

Hope this isn't too dumb - but I'd like your feedback on laundry experiences while thru hiking, etc. I'm concerned too as I have several techie items that say on them "line dry" and if I am at a laundromat, where do I hang my stuff to dry? Like unmentionables :rolleyes: and I have these Moving Comfort tights that I love to hike in when it's cold but are line dry, etc. Do hostels have clothes lines? How do you protect your stuff?

Also, I assume laundry detergent goes in a maildrop? Do you use powder or liquid? How do you package it so it doesn't go all over (maybe powder in double ziplocs?)

Many thanks

astrogirl
02-23-2006, 22:34
I have quite a few things I hike in that are "line dry", including Moving Comfort tights.

I just ignore that and don't use a super-hot dryer.

JojoSmiley
02-23-2006, 22:36
At some laundries they have a setting on the driers for air dry. that would work as well as line dry in my opinion.
Yes, you could put laundry detergent in a maildrop but again, laundromats do stock it in machines. Another good place to look is hiker boxes as some folks pack too much and leave it behind.

jackiebolen
02-23-2006, 22:51
You can buy single package laundry detergent at laundromats or hostels will have detergent. Don't bother putting it in maildrops.

Also, everyone just dried their gear and didn't stress. If you're really worried, just dry until they're damp and then put them on and they'll dry in no time.

Protect your stuff? Don't worry. It's rare that a hiker will steal from another hiker. Of course...don't leave your money laying around. But no one wants your stinky shirt or underwear.

Mouse
02-24-2006, 12:03
I usually went to laundromats or did it at hostels with whatever detergent was available and dried it at a low setting.

A few times I did it on the trail, putting laundry into a ziplock bag with water and a few drops of Dr Bronner's soap, then swishing it about until clean.

khaynie
02-24-2006, 14:44
If hostels don't have a clothes line, use the rope you're carrying as one... You shouldn't have a problem finding clothes detergent.

WalkinHome
02-24-2006, 15:26
Be careful with the dryers on the trail. They are quite hot. For the first cycle (was 8 minutes for 10 cents I think) you are usually OK but any more and you had better watch your synthetics and anything plastic.

Spirit Walker
02-24-2006, 18:15
DON"T put soap in your mail drop. Even triple wrapped, the smell permeates everything! Either buy single serving soap at the laundromat, or use liquid soap (Camp Suds) that you have with you.

Frankly, if your clothes are that fragile, you might consider just washing them by hand and hanging them over a chair/bed etc. You'll be carrying rope to hang your food anyway - just string it between two trees outside. I've had polypro shrink in hot dryers - and it was washable/dryable. It was just that the dryer was very hot.

Happy Feet
03-06-2006, 20:17
Ditto on the smell. Little Debbies don't go very well with laundry soap!