PDA

View Full Version : 1.85 oz. folding knife: Benchmade Bugout.

The_John_Muir_Way
02-02-2019, 19:23
I just wanted to share my thoughts on my new knife. I've been using it as my every day carry and plan on using backpacking when the weather gets a bit better.

Key thing for me is the weight, it weights under 2 ounces... can you believe that? 1.85 ounces
Thin blade stock and good slicing geometry
CPM S30V is a great all around steel, no negatives about it really and has good edge retention and corrosion resistance
Axis lock is easy and convenient
the scales are somewhat bendable when you try to bend them, but you don't notice it when you're using it

I made a quick and concise video, just pointing out the specs for anyone who's curious about this knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTgcpAtFbnQ

MuddyWaters
02-02-2019, 19:37
What specific things will you need to use this knife for while hiking?

No "in case......" please.

fastfoxengineering
02-02-2019, 20:32
My backpacking knife weighs 0.6oz

Can you believe that?

It also has 4 other features.

And it cost less than $20.

With my remaining $120 I got new water bottles, a new ground sheet, aquamira, a warm hat, gloves, relfecive guyline, packliners for life, an ul headlamp, a fancy ti spoon. Hell even carbon fiber tent stakes.

Benchmades are great too. I have 2 of them. Most expensive knives I own and I never use them. Ironic isnt it?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

SWODaddy
02-02-2019, 20:32
Looks interesting, thanks.

MuddyWaters
02-02-2019, 20:55
My backpacking knife weighs 0.6oz

Can you believe that?

It also has 4 other features.

And it cost less than $20.

With my remaining $120 I got new water bottles, a new ground sheet, aquamira, a warm hat, gloves, relfecive guyline, packliners for life, an ul headlamp, a fancy ti spoon. Hell even carbon fiber tent stakes.

Benchmades are great too. I have 2 of them. Most expensive knives I own and I never use them. Ironic isnt it?

Mine weighs 0.26 oz and in a couple thousand miles, ive used it exactly once.
To open a defective mountainhouse package without a tear notch.
And i really tried to get that open first...dang near impossible.

Point is, bringing " in-case " items is a mentality.
Its a symptom.
Its rarely just one "in case" item.

fastfoxengineering
02-02-2019, 21:20
Mine weighs 0.26 oz and in a couple thousand miles, ive used it exactly once.
To open a defective mountainhouse package without a tear notch.
And i really tried to get that open first...dang near impossible.

Point is, bringing " in-case " items is a mentality.
Its a symptom.
Its rarely just one "in case" item.A MH without a tear notch hmm...

Tent stake, rock, nail in shelter wall, trowel, carbide tip of trekking pole, idk...

You gave up and went for the knice too quickly.

Dermasafe?

I do like carrying a pocket knife... in my pocket.. i lost my gerber lst. Might get another

JC13
02-02-2019, 21:57
I almost bought this same knife but in blue when I was at Smoky Mountain Knife Works last fall. Decided I didn't want to spend $114 to drop 0.5 oz. Still a nice knife.

Slo-go'en
02-02-2019, 22:05
I've learned to only carry cheap knives. I'll never loose a cheap knife, but will always loose an expensive one. Although, I've probably have found almost as many knives as I've lost, so it all balances out in the end.

I use my knife a lot. It is the most versatile tool there is.

fastfoxengineering
02-02-2019, 22:12
I've learned to only carry cheap knives. I'll never loose a cheap knife, but will always loose an expensive one. Although, I've probably have found almost as many knives as I've lost, so it all balances out in the end.

I use my knife a lot. It is the most versatile tool there is.Whats your backpacking knife of choice?

RangerZ
02-02-2019, 22:28
Whats your backpacking knife of choice?

My 1973 Camillus demo knife. It’s seen me thru my military engineering career and now my hiking career. I still have the original nylon sheaf and the same dummy cord for 46 years now.

Slo-go'en
02-02-2019, 23:09
Whats your backpacking knife of choice?
Lately I've been carrying a 3" BUCK with carbon fiber handle. 2.8 oz, but it's a real sturdy knife. I keep it handy to trim back branches which stick out into the trail and try to poke my eye out. That really annoys me. Sort of breaks my rule of only a cheap knife, but it wasn't all that expensive.

If I want to go UL, I'll take it's baby brother with a 2" blade which weighs in at 0.7 oz. They came as a set.

JC13
02-03-2019, 00:13
I've been a Spyderco fan for many years. I use one of their low-end production models, in the Byrd line.
Byrd Meadowlark. ~$17 when I bought it, running $25 now.

6.8-inch open length and four-inch closed length; 2.875-inch 8Cr13MoV steel blade with 2.375-inch cutting edge, 0.47-inch hole, and 0.09-inch thickness; 2.4-ounce weight; FRN handle material

fastfoxengineering
02-03-2019, 01:26
Lately I've been carrying a 3" BUCK with carbon fiber handle. 2.8 oz, but it's a real sturdy knife. I keep it handy to trim back branches which stick out into the trail and try to poke my eye out. That really annoys me. Sort of breaks my rule of only a cheap knife, but it wasn't all that expensive.

If I want to go UL, I'll take it's baby brother with a 2" blade which weighs in at 0.7 oz. They came as a set.Ive always liked buck knives. Have a cheap folder thats seen some abuse.

After using and abusing $20 pocket folders. A buck, kabar, and chinese made schrade.

I dont see the point in a benchmade folder. I know it is special and the quality is outstanding....

But when my cheaper folders work so well its hard to justify that much for a pocket knife.

Sticks trying to poke your eye out? My sunglasses kept me from becoming blind once or twice. Kinda scary to think about.

OwenM
02-03-2019, 02:54
Sweet. Haven't watched the video, but that's a good-looking knife. Benchmade does a good job on S30V, and the Axis is a great lock. Shoot, BM does good on everything-also have the best customer service in the industry. At least they did; I'm about a decade behind the times.
I had a couple of customs and Sebenzas for a while, but found I liked my favorite Benchmades and Spydercos just as well.
FFG Delica actually floats my boat as well as anything out there, regardless of price, so that's what I carry.

The_John_Muir_Way
02-03-2019, 05:03
What specific things will you need to use this knife for while hiking?

No "in case......" please.

I said backpacking, but I take it on day hikes too. I like to eat, never skip a chance to enjoy a meal or a hot cup of coffee/tea in the outdoors. I use it for cutting fruit, food prep, and I like using wood stoves. I enjoy bushcraft so I like to start fires with with feathersticks and break down wood for my Vargo wood stove.

I know you said not to use "in case" but I think most people carry a knife just in case. I know a lot of people here don't carry knives, I'm not going to try to change anyone's mind. For me, I read plenty of stories of knives coming in handy, just in case.

rickb
02-03-2019, 12:09
Spyderco Delica here — for sentimental reasons.

That said, slicing up a piece of hard cheese or summer sausage with a spoon or cutting a carrot with the same Leatherman Micra which weused to use trim our toenails that morning is probably a better approach. :eek:

Traillium
02-03-2019, 12:18
Victorinox smallest Swiss Army Knife + soap … to clean off cheese fragments before I cut my toenails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
02-03-2019, 12:56
I said backpacking, but I take it on day hikes too.
Semantics. Confusing, for which, there is no "correct" standard.

Most long distance Backpackers (hikers) refer to long-distance backpacking as " hiking".

While shorter trip backpacking that is more camping focused may be referred to as backpacking. Why? Because that's what the general population thinks backpacking is. Short trips.

We don't call thru- hikers thru-backpackers....

Day hiking should specifically be called day hiking in this arena so it's not confused with long distance hiking. But the general public will use hiking as a term for any kind of recreational short walk in the woods. When 99% of the population say they like going hiking they mean day hiking. Long-distance hikers mean something totally different.

The_John_Muir_Way
02-04-2019, 06:57

Most long distance Backpackers (hikers) refer to long-distance backpacking as " hiking".

While shorter trip backpacking that is more camping focused may be referred to as backpacking. Why? Because that's what the general population thinks backpacking is. Short trips.

Day hiking should specifically be called day hiking in this arena so it's not confused with long distance hiking. But the general public will use hiking as a term for any kind of recreational short walk in the woods. When 99% of the population say they like going hiking they mean day hiking. Long-distance hikers mean something totally different.

Ok, thanks.

SWODaddy
02-04-2019, 10:44

I don't think anyone (including you) was confused by what he said.

MuddyWaters
02-04-2019, 15:17
I don't think anyone (including you) was confused by what he said.

When asked what he would use it for while hiking, he explicitly countered that he had said he intended use it while backpacking, but would also bring it on dayhikes.

Indicating that to him, hiking and backpacking were not the same. For people here, they are.

Maineiac64
02-05-2019, 13:28
I have 3 benchmades, mini griptillian, regular griptillion, and a neck knife. All are really awesome instruments.

Old Grouse
02-05-2019, 15:39
I've learned to only carry cheap knives. I'll never loose a cheap knife, but will always loose an expensive one.

The same rule applies to pens. A Murphy's corollary?

MtDoraDave
02-10-2019, 09:08
I carry a Gerber Paraframe daily, and use it for all sorts of things. I have two. One for work that is rarely sharp and the tip is squared off from scraping paint out of a corner of a concrete building. It still cuts the tip off caulking tubes, it unscrews switch plates, it opens cans of paint, it helps get half dried paint off the paint brushes when cleaning them out... it really is a multi-tool with only one blade. The one I wear when not at work I keep sharp and don't abuse it, but it cuts shoe laces, opens plastic packaging, cuts tags off clothing, cleans fingernails... uses for it pop up all the time. For the same reason, I carry a knife while hiking.

Due to the higher likelihood of losing it, and the relatively heavy weight of the Gerber, while hiking I carry a walmart (not sure if it's Coleman or Ozark Trail) folding/locking pocket knife made out of stainless steel and plastic. Cost, about $3. I don't have a kitchen scale, but it's super light - probably under two ounces. It comes sharpened on only one side, but it has a sharp enough edge and tip. Sharp enough to pick out a splinter. Sharp enough to cut cordage. Sharp enough to whittle a stick into a spoon-like device after you lose your spoon. It's not very strong laterally, due to it's plastic handle, so care should be taken if whittling, but it's sufficient for most any knife need that comes along.
Cheap enough to never worry about sharpening it, just buy another one when it gets dull. However, the other day, I grabbed my old (dull) one when I had my Lansky sharpening system going, and managed to sharpen it enough to shave the hair on the back of my hand (my "is it sharp enough" test). If I was charging myself labor, it would have been cheaper to buy a new knife than to sharpen the old one - but I wasn't, so now my old one is sharp again.