PDA

View Full Version : Changes in CCF composition?

Time Zone
02-05-2019, 17:25
Just curious if anyone has noticed a change in the feel of CCF pads over the years, and if so, is it relevant in any way.

I first noticed this with the cheap blue CCF pads you'd find at walmart. Years back, the foam was fairly smooth on the surface and it was pretty squishy if you pinched it. Now, it feels more rigid, with a pebble-y (pebbly?) surface and frankly feels like the kind of thing that would harden as it ages, and then split with use. That's just a gut feeling based on other foam experiences; I don't know that it would do that, though.

Recently I picked up a Ridgerest Classic in regular size; I have a large RR Classic from as many as 18 years ago. These two feel different in the same way as above - the older one feels smoother and squishier than the new. I called Thermarest to inquire about changes in composition, but the person on the line didn't have anything to compare that far back. The SOLite and Solar feel more like the squishy stuff of old, albeit with a reflective side. But the Classic has changed.

Looking at the labels and marketing stuff, the sleeve on the old Classic lists it as being 100% polyolefin copolymer. The SOLite and Solar are listed on the TAR website as Fill Material: cross-lined polyethylene. I know almost zero chemistry, but a google search led me to info that suggests these are closely related, and if they differ, it may be in the % of vinyl acetate used. So that may be all there is to it. Those all feel very similar

For the new Classic, however, it is interesting that they leave out the "fill material" line under "Tech Specs". So I suspect it's not the same, but I don't know what it is, or if it's any good.
Wondering if any of his has bearing on performance, durability, longevity, etc. If it's not clear, I prefer the older stuff. It has lasted well, feels good, retains flexibility, etc etc.

Dogwood
02-05-2019, 19:13
I don't know all the particulars but reformulations and processing of CCF is changing as some chemicals and reagents in older formulas are being legally phased out because of environmental concerns. I'd surmise production concerns also have an economically more viable component i.e; greater corporate fiduciary responsibilities i.e; greater company and foam materials engineering industry financial profit.

Deadeye
02-05-2019, 20:06
Yeah, I've noticed. My old Ridgerest is softer and has no "memory". The new one is harder and stiffer. I presume it's a different formulation. I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to reduction in phthalates.

Time Zone
02-05-2019, 21:09
Upon an email inquiry, a TAR representative got back to me and said that their website is supposed to show the Classic as also being made of cross-linked polyethylene, like the Solar, SOLite, and Z-lite. However, to my hand, the one I received via online order is not the same foam. I have the Solar, and have felt Z-lites and SOLites at REI. What I got today does not have the same texture and rebound as those others.

So while it may be the case that they have had to change chemical recipes for a number of things, I don't think they had to for the Classic if they didn't have to for those others. I suppose it's possible that there are different types (or grades) of cross-linked polyethylene, but that's conjecture.

I just hope I received a genuine TAR product ... unfortunately no local comparisons available [save for, as mentioned, my 18-yr old TAR RR Classic in large].

Time Zone
02-05-2019, 21:11
Yeah, I've noticed. My old Ridgerest is softer and has no "memory". The new one is harder and stiffer.

Glad I'm not alone! Misery loves company.

As I think Tipi Walter advised, if find something you really like, consider buying multiples, for they may be discontinued or changed for the worse when you need a replacement!