PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol chemistry

chris
02-12-2003, 14:56
Okay, I have a mostly full bottle of generic gasline antifreeze which, despite the warning that it contains methyl alcohol, seems to contains a significant percentage of isopropyl alcohol. Different burn characteristics that HEET and it leaves sooty resin on my pot. It doesn't list the contents by the way. I also have quarter full bottle of HEET. Can I safely mix (and then use) the two? It seems like this wouldn't be a problem, but I spent my highschool afternoons hanging out in parks rather than attending chemistry class, so I thought I'd ask.

SGT Rock
02-12-2003, 15:15
Yes, you can combine alcohols safely. Denatured alcohol is a mixture of alcohol types.

What brand of fuel line additive and what is the wording. I've gotten pretty good at chasing down their contents.

Redbeard
02-12-2003, 23:08
What's really funny is that a lot of these "Alcohol additives" especially ethanol, will eat away any rubber parts in your car, say, rubber Orings on your fuel injectors, carb floats... :eek:

chris
02-13-2003, 09:48
The brand is Uni-fide and it is called "Gas-Line Antifreeze". A subadvertisement for it adds, "Drys out your gasline" or something like that. It has the standard poison symbol with the usual warnings and says it contains methyl alcohol. It was about 30 cents cheaper than HEET.