PDA

View Full Version : Lets Do a Fun Run Through Southern PA

Gambit McCrae
02-07-2019, 15:32
In May I have a conference for work that is in Williamsport, PA...About 71 miles north of Duncannon, PA. The conference starts on May 14th(A Tuesday). So that means I have Monday off for travel time....However I will be doing it a bit different. Here's the plan.

Fly out of Chattanooga, TN on May 10th and arrive at PenMar Park, MD Via Shuttle driver. Let the shuttle driver hold on to my "business luggage" and start walking north. I can knock out about 8 miles that night and get to Tumbling Run sometime around midnight. From Saturday morning to Monday evening I have to walk as far as I can get and I'm gunna shoot for Duncannon. That's (3) 24.8 mile days to get me into Duncannon but I would like to pull a 30 out and I have always said that if I was going to be able to do that it would most likely have to be in southern PA. Surprisingly I was able to do many 20's in VT and a 27 in VT but have only done (4) 27 mile days out of all of the AT that I have done.

Where ever I end up on Monday afternoon I will be happy, and same shuttle will pick me up and drive me on to Williamsport, PA for the conference the next day, allowing me to pickup my "business luggage", check into my hotel and kick back :)

I have always said that PenMar Park to Duncannon was one of my favorite stretches. Long stretches of pine forest, tenting, AT history, walking in fields and a pizzeria and pub right on trail...how could it get any better
This trip will be for enjoyment with zero stress of getting to point B or not, just thought it would be entertaining to try. I would say its safe to say cabin fever has officially set in LOL

tdoczi
02-07-2019, 15:54
24.8 miles into duncannon, but you'd like to try for a 30.

your 30 is going to include over 2 miles of roadwalk, for one. thats something of a big asterisks on the accomplishment, if you make it.

for another, down into and then back out of duncannon arent exactly the sort of thing that say "this is the place to try and go really fast"

tdoczi
02-07-2019, 15:55

your 30 is going to include over 2 miles of roadwalk, for one. thats something of a big asterisks on the accomplishment, if you make it.

for another, down into and then back out of duncannon arent exactly the sort of thing that say "this is the place to try and go really fast"
oh wait, re read your post, trying for 30 somewhere before duncannon. thats a different story

Gambit McCrae
02-07-2019, 15:56

The 30 doesn't necessarily have to be at the end of the trip. It could be done on day 1 or 2....as well I wont be walking out of Duncannon, it would be the end of the trip.

LittleRock
02-07-2019, 16:45
Trying for 30 as a slackpack sounds fun but with pack it just sounds painful. Good luck!

tdoczi
02-07-2019, 16:58
Trying for 30 as a slackpack sounds fun but with pack it just sounds painful. Good luck!

theres definitely been days ive done 24 or so and could have gone 6 more. other factors, mainly time of day, prevented me.

amount of daylight would be my biggest stumbling block. i'd need to start at 6 am on the summer solstice and hope it turns out to be a perfect day where i'm just feeling like i have it. the terrain, within reason, i dont think matters much (doesnt have to be MD, but cant be the whites). probably won't ever happen.

JNI64
02-07-2019, 18:41
I pulled a 30 or 32 mile day in there somewhere on one of my section hikes. I remember a shelter to close to stop and the next one was a good distance away. started raining really hard I mean pouring down at the end of the day was a big climb to the shelter I came in about 10 that evening of course it was packed and of course they made room for me.thats my record with a full pack and probably always will be. Nothing like pushing yourself to your limits, good stuff.

chknfngrs
02-08-2019, 08:36
Decide what to be and go be it!

tdoczi
02-08-2019, 10:15
were I the OP i think US30 to PA 94 would be my spot to go for it. works out to almost exactly 30 miles and aside from a long (but not steep and well maintained trail) climb to start i recall it being beyond easy.

Malto
02-08-2019, 21:34
The trail south of Duncannon is very runnable. I did a quick 20 mile out and back a month ago. I live near Harrisburg and usually do some long trips such as the 4 state challenge around that time of year. depending on my race schedule in May I may be very interested in a quick little jaunt.

Malto
02-08-2019, 21:38
One more thought. If you are in Williamsport I would head an hour north and do the loop through Pine Creek Gorge and the West Rim trail (Grand Canyon of PA) or even the Black Forest Loop. IMHO those trips are better than any AT section in PA.

Gambit McCrae
03-27-2019, 09:03
Plane ticket purchased, gunna go for it. At the least Ill have fun in SoPa for 3 days :)

CalebJ
03-27-2019, 09:25
Sounds like a great trip! Wish I could figure out a way to get out for more than a couple of days at a time this year. Maybe in the fall...

chknfngrs
03-27-2019, 09:57
Total sweetness!

Plane ticket purchased, gunna go for it. At the least Ill have fun in SoPa for 3 days :)

Gambit McCrae
05-07-2019, 11:08
This Friday is blast off on this fun little trip. I am not sure I will make it to Duncannon but I am going to make a conscious effort to be walking for as much of my 3 days as I can and see how far I make it. I know I will certainly make it to Boiling Springs and that is where my shuttle driver lives so no matter how far I go it will be fun!

CalebJ
05-07-2019, 11:35
Have fun and good luck!

RiverbirchHiker
05-07-2019, 17:19
This Friday is blast off on this fun little trip. I am not sure I will make it to Duncannon but I am going to make a conscious effort to be walking for as much of my 3 days as I can and see how far I make it. I know I will certainly make it to Boiling Springs and that is where my shuttle driver lives so no matter how far I go it will be fun!

Go for it!! And, let it happen. Its always easy to second-guess ambitious plans.
Let us know how you make out....

Gambit McCrae
05-12-2019, 19:17
Whelp- My fun is over. I got my 30 yesterday with little issue and had a great day. The weather man was correct and woke up to heavy rain and 43*. I stayed warm last night during the rain in my duplex but found out the hard way my rain jacket is worn out and by 2 miles in I was soaking wet. Did the 10 miles to pine grove furnace and was soak thru and thru. Decided with the weather being the same for tomorrow as it was today i would go ahead and call it quits. Weather this year has not cooperated at all. Ended up with 40 miles for the trip and im off to my plastics seminar tomorrow.