PDA

View Full Version : Milk

gonegonzo
02-10-2019, 09:44
Can anyone recomend a good quality dehyrated milk powder that is easily found in grocery stores ?

peakbagger
02-10-2019, 10:04
Nido seems to be the preferred option if available. I dont find it up north and have to order it.

Tipi Walter
02-10-2019, 10:06
I've used both the Nido option and the dried goat milk option.

Hikes in Rain
02-10-2019, 10:47
There's also a powdered buttermilk, which I use at home. Kinda special purpose, though.

rmitchell
02-10-2019, 11:01
I've used both the Nido option and the dried goat milk option.

Where do you find dried goat milk?

I'm lactose intolerant , so this is interesting.

Tipi Walter
02-10-2019, 11:10
It's common in the dried milk section---

zelph
02-10-2019, 12:10
baby powdered milk is high in protien, available in most stores where other powdered milk can't be found.

Zalman
02-10-2019, 12:59
I prefer whole milk (which is why I assume most people like Nido), but I also prefer to avoid soy in my milk. It used to be that some boxes of Nido had no soy, but it seems they all do now.

My new favorite milk powder is Hoosier Hill Farm Whole Milk Powder. It tastes about as good as the Nido, mixes easily, and has only one ingredient: Whole Milk. I don't know if it's in the grocery stores, but it's definitely available at Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099XI58S).

Tipi Walter
02-10-2019, 13:06
I wish and pray to the Sinus Gods that I could continue to use powdered milk during my backpacking trips. Nothing better than peppermint or nettle tea with honey and powdered goat milk. Or Mt Hagen organic coffee (decaf or not) with a couple tablespoons of goat milk powder!) It all starts out harmlessly enough but after several months of use---Nido, goat milk---doesn't matter---my head blows up and I'm spewing chunks from a nasty sinus infection. Solution? Avoid all dairy and most esp dried milk.

Btw, goat milk powder in morning coffee looks stupendous!!---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Test-Gallery-For-Trip-150/i-98JwWNH/0/427875af/XL/TRIP%20150%20330-XL.jpg

Siestita
02-10-2019, 17:25
I'm a fan of Nido, which is the Spanish word for 'nest'. Here in Kentucky that is sometimes found in the 'Latin American' section of supermarkets. rather than being placed with other powdered milk products. Nestle marketed Nido internationally for decades before bringing it to U.S. supermarkets to sell to immigrants.

I choose to drink Nido brand "Leche Entera en Polvo...Powdered Whole Milk with Added Vitamins and Minerals". I avoid buying Nestle's powdered infant formula-like product, which is also branded as "Nido". So, I read the labels. The canisters that I avoid buying are the ones that have a picture of a small child.

zelph
02-10-2019, 17:37
I was in a good size town down in Mississippi this past year and not one store could be found with powdered milk. I purchased liquid coffee creamers in the small single dose to survive ;)

Venchka
02-10-2019, 19:07
baby powdered milk is high in protien, available in most stores where other powdered milk can't be found.
I was getting ready to say that adults should buy the yellow label Nido WHOLE milk. Found in the Hispanic food section of any decent supermarket.
The BABY formula Nido is packed with tropical oils and other crud. Avoid.
Wayne

Venchka
02-10-2019, 19:11
I was getting ready to say that adults should buy the yellow label Nido WHOLE milk. Found in the Hispanic food section of any decent supermarket.
The BABY formula Nido is packed with tropical oils and other crud. Avoid.
Several preceding cautions about powdered baby milk. The youngsters don’t stand a chance.
Wayne

Sarcasm the elf
02-10-2019, 19:38

Depends on the store. Sometimes it’s with the other dried milks, sometimes it’s in the healthfoos aisle, and sometimes it’s near the babyfood. (It’s a common milk replacement for children with mild dairy allergies/intolerances.)

double d
02-10-2019, 21:37
Milk is for babies-drink beer on the trail!!!

zelph
02-10-2019, 23:18
The BABY formula Nido is packed with tropical oils and other crud. Avoid

Keeps your skin looking young and vibrant. You'll be wrinkle free within a week.....:D

scrabbler
02-10-2019, 23:31
Can anyone recomend a good quality dehyrated milk powder that is easily found in grocery stores ?

I think the problem in this post is the original question. "Quality" is the term debated here. Me, I like Nido, and consider the quality of the "taste" to be about the best I have tasted. "Nutritionally" is a subject I'm not qualified to answer. For a few days I like Nido, and havent grown a third eye YET.

zelph
02-11-2019, 10:16
For a few days I like Nido, and havent grown a third eye YET.

Too much nido is bad for your health :D

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/b7cAAOxyIYhSXSLN/s-l1600.jpg

kestral
02-11-2019, 15:50
I find Nido dehydrated whole cows milk in Hispanic section of wallyworld, when tummy and or sinuses acting up I use the powdered goat milk found in baking section. I like goat cheeses, if you don’t then you probably won’t like powdered goat milk. It’s an acquired taste. I like it with earl grey tea, not so much with coffee.

Ive seen some folks use carnation instant breakfast powder in their morning coffee, they swear by it! Creamer and sugar, flavor and a little extra protein. The French vanilla and chocolate would be good, strawberry might be a little weird, but then weird food combos is one of the joys of hiking!

always fun to try new stuff. I put my no go food errors in the hiker box or local food pantry. Betty Crocker spuds on sale were evil to my spoiled taste buds. Enjoy trying new stuff! Diet rules go away on trail.

Mountain Soldier
02-11-2019, 17:32
NIDO is the way to go!

bighammer
02-11-2019, 21:13
Carnation?

peakbagger
02-12-2019, 07:31
Carnation is easy to find and okay to cook with but inferior to Nido. I do know some folks who mix coffee creamer in with it to improve the taste somewhat.

gonegonzo
02-12-2019, 15:48
I bought a few to experiment with . Thx for the input

SC_Forester
02-12-2019, 19:33

Nido does make a Low Lactose version. Its works OK if your intolerance is only mild. I have found it on Amazon and at Walmart

THEDON
02-14-2019, 17:33
check the hispanic food aisle at wally world (or other grocers that have nationality designations) for nido.

kestral
05-27-2019, 21:03
Dried coconut milk is available in most wallyworlds in Hispanic and Asian sections. The different brands are each a little different. You can make a pretty good cocoa mix with it, or add to tea, coffee. No lactose issues there

nsherry61
05-27-2019, 21:38
I haven't seen Milkman brand powdered milk listed here. It was a great staple readily available in grocery stores years ago and still available on amazon, and quite good. AND, as mentioned by Peakbagger above, but not with the merit my experience suggests it deserves - regular Carnation powdered skim milk with some powdered coffee cream added is shockingly good compared to the powdered milk alone. Currently, I generally use Nido or Carnation with creamer because I like shopping locally.

Dogwood
05-27-2019, 22:50
Dutch brand PEAK powdered cow's milk is the creamiest, better quality than NIDO. Check out Meyenberg's powdered goat milk. They used to sell it in 4 oz packages but I've only seen the cans of powder lately. Native Forest brand powdered coconut milk is a good taste change. I was only finding it at Wfoods buy have seen it on rare occasions at WallyWorld.

Lynnette
05-28-2019, 10:37

Carnation makes 1 qt envelopes- sometimes found. Nido can sometimes be found. Powdered muscle milk(nasty) is usually found in quantities to big to haul around. Found powdered vanilla coffee creamer near the coffee and used as milk powder for 6 days. Transfer to baggy. Or keep in the small plastic container to keep ants out. Cheap, light. Goes with everything.

4eyedbuzzard
05-28-2019, 18:09
Powdered whole milk and even heavy cream are available. They take more work (especially the heavy cream) stirring and shaking to dissolve than powdered skim milk due to the greater fat content. Hoosier Hill and Anthonys are two brands. Available on Amazon. I've never seen them in B&M stores.

Shae
05-28-2019, 20:20
"Peak" brand. A product of the Netherlands but I found it in an Asian-African market. I think it's a bit tastier than Nido - which I like also.

Game Warden
05-29-2019, 20:49
I pre-mix Nido with muesli for breakfast, and then just add water. I was surprised how good it was.

fastfoxengineering
07-29-2019, 19:16
Bringing back this thread to ask people about putting dried milk in resupply boxes. If I were to buy a can of dried milk and seperate into a few bags for 5 resupply boxes would it be okay? I'd be using the milk within 30 days of shipping it

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

peakbagger
07-29-2019, 20:20
If its kept dry it lasts for years. I have the same can of Nido on my shelf I opened 4 years ago. Still tastes fine.

colorado_rob
07-29-2019, 20:27
Yep, my pre-packaged cereal/Nido baggies seem to last a long time, never had any weird tastes or tummy aches from using stuff from maybe a year old.

Nido is hard to find in a lot of stores, especially out east. It's all over the place in the west. It's a Mexican product, and the Hispanic community uses a lot of it apparently, because it is found in the Hispanic food section of our grocery stores (in Colorado). Maybe it has become more popular these days in more places. Great product... protein rich whole milk, tastes great, great nutrition, etc.

fastfoxengineering
07-29-2019, 21:02
Yep, my pre-packaged cereal/Nido baggies seem to last a long time, never had any weird tastes or tummy aches from using stuff from maybe a year old.

Nido is hard to find in a lot of stores, especially out east. It's all over the place in the west. It's a Mexican product, and the Hispanic community uses a lot of it apparently, because it is found in the Hispanic food section of our grocery stores (in Colorado). Maybe it has become more popular these days in more places. Great product... protein rich whole milk, tastes great, great nutrition, etc.Thanks. Pretty much every Walmart I've been too here in New England has it. I was planning on doing prepackaged granola and milk bags and sending them ahead. Will be eaten within 30 days

Traillium
07-29-2019, 22:40
Here in Ontario, Canada, Nido is most easily found in stores catering to Hindus and Muslims from all across the Middle East. Nido and so much other wonderful food!

fastfoxengineering
07-29-2019, 22:48
Here in Ontario, Canada, Nido is most easily found in stores catering to Hindus and Muslims from all across the Middle East. Nido and so much other wonderful food!Here in New Hampshire. The general population survives out of Walmart. I just wanted to make sure if I bagged up some powdered milk I wouldn't open it in three weeks to it being spoiled in a resupply box. Ideally I'd have a vacuum sealer. But i don't, and purchasing one is out of the question. Won't fit in my new home on wheels

peakbagger
07-30-2019, 11:34
BTW, long before I heard about Nido, the trick was to add powdered dairy creamer to Carnation powdered milk. Coffee creamer is basically spray dried encapsulated fat with some flavoring and does improve the taste of carnation which is fat free. Nido is just carnation with some spray dried fat added to it. My old go to evening sugar buzz when section hiking was a premixed half a pouch of jello instant pudding with carnation and couple of spoons of coffee creamer, just add water, knead it and in a few minutes bite off a corner of the ziplock and squeeze it into my mouth. I do not drink coffee and still have the original container of coffee creamer. I bought around the year 2001, I keep it dry and its still tastes fine.

I remember encountering a pack of thru hikers in Maine one year that took great joy in buying captain crunch or other kids cereal in town and having a big bowl of cereal with Nido every morning. They started it in VT and were doing it to just change things up as 3 or 4 months of the same menu was getting old. The cereal takes up a lot of room but by then their packs were pretty empty.

Kittyslayer
07-30-2019, 11:49
So a milk in recipe question...

When cooking at home some of the Knorr packets I use call for milk. Do I just mix up some powdered milk with water and add to the packet? Can I just put the powdered milk straight into the packet and add water to the whole mixture? Do I just skip the milk and simply reconstitute with water only?

Don't need milk/cream for my coffee as I drink it black.

Hikes in Rain
07-30-2019, 15:23
Actually, the answer to all three questions is yes. Works either way. Without the milk, you'd lose some calories and fats; the nutritional data on the package includes milk. But it still works. Easiest is to put the milk and packet into the pot and add water, then add heat. Be sure to stir from time to time.

fastfoxengineering
07-30-2019, 16:52
BTW, long before I heard about Nido, the trick was to add powdered dairy creamer to Carnation powdered milk. Coffee creamer is basically spray dried encapsulated fat with some flavoring and does improve the taste of carnation which is fat free. Nido is just carnation with some spray dried fat added to it. My old go to evening sugar buzz when section hiking was a premixed half a pouch of jello instant pudding with carnation and couple of spoons of coffee creamer, just add water, knead it and in a few minutes bite off a corner of the ziplock and squeeze it into my mouth. I do not drink coffee and still have the original container of coffee creamer. I bought around the year 2001, I keep it dry and its still tastes fine.

I remember encountering a pack of thru hikers in Maine one year that took great joy in buying captain crunch or other kids cereal in town and having a big bowl of cereal with Nido every morning. They started it in VT and were doing it to just change things up as 3 or 4 months of the same menu was getting old. The cereal takes up a lot of room but by then their packs were pretty empty.I saw a bunch of people enjoying cereal on trail lol. My go to trail breakfast now is granola with some variety in it and milk. Allthough for weekend trips I started packing cereals too. Excellent on trail. Ive got freeze dried fruit that ill add to my granola. Some shredded coconut. Etc

Traillium
07-30-2019, 20:58
Nido is just carnation with some spray dried fat added to it.

Perhaps, but I believe Nido is whole milk that is dehydrated, instead of dehydrated skim milk. I understand Nido is ‘the real thing’, not a concoction.

BTW, I’ve got a ziplock of Nido that’s three year’s old that found in an old resupply food bag. I tested it and it still tastes fine. (I did throw the full contents of that bag out, but the takeaway for me is that Nido seems remarkably stable.

I combine Nido into my DIY granola, and then add several sleeves of instant coffee and water for my trail breakfast.

I carry a small nalgene bottle of Nido for adding to soups, tea, coffee, etc.

RangerZ
07-30-2019, 21:46
I prepackaged NIDO with oatmeal, mashed potatoes or instant pudding in ziplocks and haven’t had any problems with freshness.

I just cannot mix NIDO with cereal ( typically Cheerios, they were good enough for the Lone Ranger, they’re good enough for me ) and pour water over it. I have to rehydrate the NIDO and then pour it over the cereal.

SoaknWet
07-31-2019, 08:19
Cheerios, it's a Pittsburgh thing. Plus I still have one of my silver bullets.

colorado_rob
07-31-2019, 08:28
I can see how pre-mixing Nido with soft cereals like Cheerios would be a problem.... it would be a mush before you could eat it. We pre-mix all the time with a heartier, coarser granola type cereal and that works great.

Good to see Nido is in stores back east! I certainly could not find it in the southeast, I guess I didn't look hard enough.

CalebJ
07-31-2019, 09:19
It's easy to find in the Roanoke area. Not sure how far south you have to go before it becomes a problem.

greensleep
07-31-2019, 09:42
[QUOTE=CalebJ;2252376]It's easy to find in the Roanoke area. Not suTre how far south you have to go before it becomes a problem

It is available in Florida at Walmarts

peakbagger
07-31-2019, 10:15
Walmart changes their local inventory to meet the demand. if there is local central American population I expect they will stock it. Our local Walmart stocks up on Mexican staples when there are large transient immigrant workforces in the area. I have never seen Nido on the shelf at the local Walmart but then again my #10 tin can (from Amazon) has lasted me a few years so I don't look for it.

Tuxhiker
07-31-2019, 12:40
Nido and other brands of powdered milk are available in south Mississippi Walmarts. They have been available for years possibly because they are a important component of hurricane preparedness. Sometimes Walmart puts things in odd locations so you may have to search to find them or ask if you can find an employee. Hike on!

BillyGr
07-31-2019, 14:22
So a milk in recipe question...

When cooking at home some of the Knorr packets I use call for milk. Do I just mix up some powdered milk with water and add to the packet? Can I just put the powdered milk straight into the packet and add water to the whole mixture? Do I just skip the milk and simply reconstitute with water only?

Don't need milk/cream for my coffee as I drink it black.

One thing to think about is that you may need to add a bit extra water (since the original is expecting both the water and milk to be liquids). You might still go a bit less than the total of water and milk, though, as the majority of those done at home seem to wind up with the "sauce" being on the thin side.

cmoulder
07-31-2019, 16:00
My go-to breakfast: 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Swiss Muesli, about 1/2 handful of Craisins, 2 heaping tablespoons of Nido, dash of cinnamon, 3/4 cup boiling water