PDA

View Full Version : Cannon mtn to kinsman ridge

sethd513
02-12-2019, 19:45
Anyone know how this is in the winter? Do people use it. I can’t find anything other then something old that says it’s difficult to follow in winter due to trees down and not many blazes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
02-12-2019, 21:30
I'd believe the reports. Doesn't look like there are any easy ways to get up there.

If you ever wanted to get into ice climbing, this would be the winter to do it. I bet the routes up Cannon are in great shape.

peakbagger
02-12-2019, 21:32
It doesn't get a lot of use from Cannonball south as its a lot harder and longer then folks estimate. Given the woods in this area I would guess that it blows in and the trail would be difficult to follow. A darn good GPS track might help.

Decibel
02-13-2019, 01:59
Years ago I did this hike in the winter from Kinsman Ridge to Cannon Mt. It was challenging for not impossible. You could generally figure out which way the trail when through the trees. I found it interesting and doable along with a great way to improve your trail finding skills.

sethd513
02-13-2019, 10:42
Maybe I’ll wait for warmer clearer weather without a solid gps. Rain and being lost doesn’t sound the best right now. I think I might try rattle river instead.

T.S.Kobzol
02-13-2019, 13:17
A few years ago I did a winter Cannon and over the Cannonballs to kinsmans and back via FishinJimmy trail. Down from Cannon is steep and borderline dangerous when icy...and, yeah, bring a flashlight as it seems to take longer than book time.

But it wasn't hard to follow the trail at all.