PDA

View Full Version : Bees in the john?

Tricord
02-24-2006, 11:05
I've had a very extreme phobia of bees (apiphobia) since I was about 7 or 8 years old, although I've learned to control it somewhat now, the idea of bees setting up shop in the hole of a privy I'm using always freaks me out, for me it's almost like the equivalent of playing russian roulette. My imagination can be quite a painful thing when I'm sitting there waiting for an army of flying aliens to attack my "missile base". I have seen bees and wasps set up nests in the rafters and overhangs of outhouses of course but, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of them building nests under the seat of a privy hole? I apologize if I'm creating new phobias for other people now.

middle to middle
02-24-2006, 11:24
Bees use the sun to navigate as they fly. If it is night time or in a black hole you are safe.

timhines
02-24-2006, 11:30
dont' use a privy. Carry a trowel

Fiddler
02-24-2006, 11:46
I don't think you have to worry about bees down in the "business" part of a privy. But you should be aware that the doo-doo bird builds it's nest down there.

Seriously, the only concerns you might have would be with the ground-dwelling hornets and yellow jackets that build their nest underground. You don't want to step into one of those. If you have an allergy to stings, and not just a phobia, be sure you have your epipen (or whatever your doc prescribes) available at all times.

Lilred
02-25-2006, 16:18
Yes, I have had seen bees in the privy hole. I remember a couple of times having to wait till they all flew out before I'd sit down.

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2006, 17:08
Not to overly alarm folks, but I know of several folks who got spider bites while using privies. (Where there's flies, there'll be spiders). The location of these bites was so indescribably awful that it'd be better to discuss this matter using medical Latin. But you can use your imagination.

On both occasions we avoided privies for weeks afterwards.

Tricord
02-26-2006, 00:18
--don't use a privy. Carry a trowel

A trowel...isn't that the same weight as a random rock or stick?

greentick
02-26-2006, 00:53
catholes, no spiders, bees. Just cameras of your fellow hikers...

peter_pan
02-26-2006, 09:20
Not to overly alarm folks, but I know of several folks who got spider bites while using privies. (Where there's flies, there'll be spiders). The location of these bites was so indescribably awful that it'd be better to discuss this matter using medical Latin. But you can use your imagination.

On both occasions we avoided privies for weeks afterwards.

Jack makes a good point here.... the spider threat is much higher than the bee threat IMHO.... Best to always slam the seat a time or two , then check to make sure that no nasty critters are still hanging on the underside...sounds gross but sure it removes the worry factor and contributes to a nice "peaceful" start to a great day of hiking...

Pan

dje97001
02-26-2006, 09:37
Fan-tastic. Here's one 2006er that just got the willies. As a kid I was always worried that a snake or something from the movie Tremors would come up while I was on it. I managed to get over that one, but now... bees and spiders have just replaced snakes and worms. Fan-tastic. Where's my orange shovel...

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2006, 11:39
Speakin' of the willies, there are worse things than spiders......

http://webarchive.unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=56979

Moxie00
02-26-2006, 12:29
Read Jack's link about the bad man in the privy. The guy used to manage a farm store near my house and seemed perfectly normal. Two years later I found out he was wearing waders and hanging out in the ladies privy in a New Hampshire park peaking at the peeing and pooping ladies. Yes Jack, there are much worse things than spiders or bees in privys and the real problem with this guy is that if you met him and talked to him you would never begin to understand how warped he was. He seemed to be just like the nice guy that lived next door. Now I know this about him I'll take bees, spiders and even snakes anytime.

dje97001
02-26-2006, 20:08
:eek::eek::eek::eek: