PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Shuttle Drivers

adam12
02-15-2019, 07:51
Is it appropriate to tip shuttle drivers?? How many of you do?

Maineiac64
02-15-2019, 07:55
I always do, appreciate the service, shuttling is tough on vehicles, not always easy with logistics, etc. dont be cheap, just do it.

chknfngrs
02-15-2019, 07:56
I’ve never used shuttles but if I did I would have no hesitation rounding up and providing a tip

MtDoraDave
02-15-2019, 08:16
I usually do, also, especially if I ask them to stop somewhere for breakfast or supplies or whatnot. I have a set of standards for tipping, and self employed people who set their own prices usually aren't on the "tip list" - but as the others have stated, they are doing me a great service, on my time table, so I usually round up.

Gambit McCrae
02-15-2019, 09:04
If they own the business I do not, I know that they charge what they want and therefore should make what they need to make.
If I ask them to stop anywhere along the way I add $10 a stop.

If I have chosen a shuttle company where an employee is doing the driving I tip them between 0 and $20 depending on the experience.

Hikingjim
02-15-2019, 11:19
If they own the business I do not, I know that they charge what they want and therefore should make what they need to make.
If I ask them to stop anywhere along the way I add $10 a stop.

If I have chosen a shuttle company where an employee is doing the driving I tip them between 0 and $20 depending on the experience.

Agree with this. If they're the owner, they control the original price and that's fair. I will still tip in that circumstance if they had a ridiculously low price or went a bit above and beyond

TNhiker
02-15-2019, 11:39
i will also base my tip on how friendly driver is and if we had a good conversation or something like that...

along with if driver gives me good information on trail or anything else.....

iceaxe56
02-15-2019, 19:53
Like Uber tip is figured in the price,but hell if you feel like giving.

Hikes in Rain
02-15-2019, 20:01
Tipped all three times I used a shuttle. Especially the second, who turned out to be the third as well. Got really sick hiking. When I called,he dropped everything he was doing to come rescue me. Had everything lined up to make me comfortable. Of course, I tipped him!

Maineiac64
02-15-2019, 20:12

Uber doesn’t figure a tip into the fare, you get presented a few recommended options but can enter a custom amount.

The quoted fare for a shuttle or uber is all you are obligated to pay but these people don’t make a lot and the little extra you can help with is surely appreciated.

Huntmog
02-15-2019, 20:45
I always tip shuttle drivers, sometimes more and sometimes just a little. Prices are set to be competitive and win "the bid", service level dictates the value to me.

Pringles
02-15-2019, 20:54
The onl time I *didn’t* tip was when the guy picked me up and stopped to get gas, but didn’t have any money to pay for the gas. After he had gotten me to the drop off, he hinted that “some ladies last week gave him a great time.” I reminded him that I had pad for a tank full of gas. “Oh yeah... .” Other than that, absolutely.

adam12
02-16-2019, 06:05
Thanks all

MuddyWaters
02-16-2019, 09:09
If they not dumb enough to set price thats divisible by $20, they will probably get a tip.

Ethesis
02-16-2019, 20:17
Unless I’ve prepaid I generally tip, and even then I try to tip

Thanks all

iceaxe56
02-16-2019, 21:02
Uber doesn’t figure a tip into the fare, you get presented a few recommended options but can enter a custom amount.

The quoted fare for a shuttle or uber is all you are obligated to pay but these people don’t make a lot and the little extra you can help with is surely appreciated.

Not going to argue,,but it is figured in that’s why you pay before .But feel free dude

Maineiac64
02-16-2019, 23:04
Not going to argue,,but it is figured in that’s why you pay before .But feel free dude

I use uber at least 10x per month so I’m pretty familiar. Check this out dude.

https://www.uber.com/en-SE/ride/how-it-works/tips/

Christoph
02-17-2019, 00:50
"It’s completely optional, but always appreciated" Yea, no kidding. If he goes out of his way, say to stop at a convenience store at my request or something, then yea, I'll tip. If not, well...

Lone Wolf
02-18-2019, 08:46
i drive shuttles for an outfitter. my pay, gas, etc. is figured into the price. i don't expect or need a tip

elray
02-18-2019, 12:49
I've sectioned for many years and have used countless shuttles to connect the dots. Some are business like and indifferent but most are very talkative and entertaining and full of information to boot. One that stands out in particular was in Bennington Vermont when he went far and beyond our expectations. We had failed to pack a camera so he ran us all over town on a Sunday until we found a cheap film model in a grocery store. We were looking for a point near Peru Peak to pick up our section which wasn't easy to find back in the pre GPS days and he was up and down several dusty back roads even going as far as to knock on the doors of the locals for directions. Needless to say we tipped him generously at the drop off and still appreciate his efforts to this day. Thank goodness for shuttle drivers!

theoilman
02-18-2019, 18:23
Shuttle over 2 hours late to pick up - NO!

Jim Adams
02-22-2019, 23:26
I always tip a shuttle. If you don't tip, don't expect a ride!

Dogwood
02-23-2019, 00:11
I like to tip, often modestly but out of showing added appreciation not out of obligation though. Most times my shuttle costs are nominal not choosing expensive shuttles. It creates added goodwill. I see it as a way to pay it forward for other hikers that come after me as many previous hikers have done which has impacted my shuttle experiences. I'm not hiking alone alienated as no one on the AT truly is. I'm part of a community and how I behave has an impact on others. Is it required? No. But that's my take.

windlion
02-24-2019, 21:03
If life has been generous enough to leave you with some extra green in your wallet and the driver has helped ease your journey, pay it forward. Tip generously, and not just because you think it is earned or expected.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

fiddlehead
02-24-2019, 22:24
Of course I appreciate when I get a tip for anything.
But really, this whole tipping thing has gotten ridiculous.
It's expected now-a-days in so many fields and that sucks.
Having lived out of the USA and traveled extensively (55 countries and counting), I have to say it's a pleasure not to play the tipping game.
Prices are marked, that's what you pay.
And tax is often (usually) included.
So if something says it costs 4 Euros or Baht, or Rupiah, well, that's what it costs.
Life is complicated enough.
OF course it's part of the American culture
But who or why do you tip? It's not written down anywhere.
It's confusing as all hell for tourists and those not familiar with the guessing game. (Mailman? cook? newstand? bus driver? hotel employees? (Which ones)

OK, rant over.

stephanD
02-25-2019, 11:21
Having lived out of the USA and traveled extensively (55 countries and counting), I have to say it's a pleasure not to play the tipping game.
So if something says it costs 4 Euros or Baht, or Rupiah, well, that's what it costs.
It's confusing as all hell for tourists and those not familiar with the guessing game. (Mailman? cook? newstand? bus driver? hotel employees? (Which ones)

OK, rant over.
I completely get what you are saying. Now days, one is expected to tip the hot dog vendor. I was told that in japan, tipping is actually considered to be offensive. "Vive la petite difference".

John B
02-25-2019, 12:26

OK, rant over.
Absolutely agree. Having traveled quite a bit in Japan and China, it was a welcome surprise to find that in other places so many do not have their hand stuck out for extra. You pay the price that's marked.
I'm a bit tired of tipping postal carriers, barbers, Uber drivers, etc.
For independent shuttle drivers, set the fee to cover your costs and whatever profit you expect, then tell me how much you charge up front so I can decide whether I want your service or not, and don't get pissy when I pay the stated price rather than 15-30% extra for doing what you said you would do.

Dogwood
02-25-2019, 16:27
I completely get what you are saying. Now days, one is expected to tip the hot dog vendor. I was told that in japan, tipping is actually considered to be offensive. "Vive la petite difference".
ROTFL. he he he.

Last wk received a great $35 shampoo, hair cut, and shoulder massage. Stylists/therapist did a great job. Added $5 tip, about 15%. As I was happily walking out I heard the woman in their high priced designer apparel murmur to each other "cheap arse SOB" What happens if I go back? Should I expect some saliva or other body fluid in the shampoo? A keyed side door? What do people expect?

Zumo
02-26-2019, 14:13
I remember back in my college days when four of us had dinner at a pub/restaurant. Our service was just so-so and the waitress seemed to be constantly distracted and not very friendly. When our check came, we put down our money with about a 5% tip and left. This waitress actually followed us to the parking lot screaming that the reasonable and customary tip was at least 15%. I told her that she was lucky she got a tip at all and stressed that tips are earned not deserved. I guess she'd been stiffed a bunch of times. Wonder if she ever got the message?

OzzieChick
03-01-2019, 22:32
It's confusing as all hell for tourists and those not familiar with the guessing game.

Totally agree. I don't understand American tipping at all.
In Australia we only tip if service has been exceptional. And it is normally only in restaurants with full table service.

I have no idea when it is appropriate and when it is not. And tipping below average service? Where is the incentive to provide good service if it is mandatory?

shelb
03-02-2019, 15:32

My dad drives for Uber and Llyft. He says the tip is not included in the price... and that the tips are what makes it worthwhile for him after Uber/Llyft take their cut...

shelb
03-02-2019, 15:36
Totally agree. I don't understand American tipping at all.
In Australia we only tip if service has been exceptional. And it is normally only in restaurants with full table service.
I have no idea when it is appropriate and when it is not. And tipping below average service? Where is the incentive to provide good service if it is mandatory?

You are so correct that it is confusing about tipping in other countries! I never know what to do when somewhere else, so I usually research it. In the U.S., restaurant workers who serve food are paid under minimum wage as it is assumed they are making tips. PLUS, their employers are required to tax them for EIGHT PERCENT of their SALES as assumed tip money. So, if someone doesn't at least leave 8%, the waiter/waitress actually loses money on that customer.... just fyi...

MuddyWaters
03-02-2019, 17:22
TIPS

Is acronym

To
Insure
Prompt
Service

I laugh at places that automatically add tip to bill, wont eat there.

Some add 18% automatically if party is X or more

Learned travelling with kids sports teams that
Large parties get slow food, substandard service compared to same people eating at separate tables. Yet they charge you for it.

We would sit separately, get food in 30 min instead of 90, with wrong orders and forgotten items.

Some people work hard for tips, often your cruise ship servers, cabin steward, etc do. They make your experience, that deserves it. But plenty dont tip them because it adds hundreds up to $1000 for a week long cruise.

If they made your experience great...tip them well.