PDA

View Full Version : whats everybodys least favorite trail town

neo
02-24-2006, 12:46
what is everybodys least favorite trail town,i thought port clinton pa was the worst for me:cool: neo

Trail Yeti
02-24-2006, 12:53
Duncannon, PA.....although Port Clinton is a close second....I am obviously not too partial to PA.....

neo
02-24-2006, 12:56
Duncannon, PA.....although Port Clinton is a close second....I am obviously not too partial to PA.....

port clinton sucks,i liked duncannon,i stayed at the doyle,the pizza place across the street was great:cool: neo

lobster
02-24-2006, 13:01
Hey Nean,

That avatar(is that the right word) of yours would be a nice hiking shirt if it isn't already!

lobster
02-24-2006, 13:02
I meant Neo.

Blue Jay
02-24-2006, 13:07
port clinton sucks,i liked duncannon,i stayed at the doyle,the pizza place across the street was great:cool: neo

Port Clinton is crawling with Trail Angels, they let you camp out next to a beautiful stream in town and there is a brewery close by. Neo sucks.

the goat
02-24-2006, 13:12
i love port clinton & duncannon; they're two of my favorites, in fact.

i dislike hiawassee.....no beer on sundays!:mad:

neo
02-24-2006, 13:14
Port Clinton is crawling with Trail Angels, they let you camp out next to a beautiful stream in town and there is a brewery close by. Neo sucks.

i passed thru there on halloween 2003,i did not see anyone but a few trick or treeters:cool: neo

neo
02-24-2006, 13:15

bluejay sucks:cool: neo

camich
02-24-2006, 13:21
i love port clinton & duncannon; they're two of my favorites, in fact.

i dislike hiawassee.....no beer on sundays!:mad:

I know what you mean about no beer on Sundays! You definately have to plan for that one. Other than that I really enjoyed Hiawassee. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and ate at Daniels Steak House (I think that was the name of it) I heard it burned last year. Anyway, they had a REALLY good AYCE buffet.

Alligator
02-24-2006, 13:29
What brewery is close to Port Clinton?

Footslogger
02-24-2006, 13:29
===============================
Jeungling (sp??)

'Slogger

Heater
02-24-2006, 13:47
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Blue Jay
Neo sucks.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

bluejay sucks:cool: neo

I would suggest you two getting a room at the brokeback inn. ;)

Chef2000
02-24-2006, 14:04
All the towns were fine by me.

mdionne
02-24-2006, 14:10
waynesboro. my friends and i went for AYCE pizza at the hut. spent an hour getting stared at by 9 good ole' boys at the tabel next to us. when we left they even got out of their chairs to watch us walk down the street! oh yeah, then the guy at the bar who, when he learned i was from maine, said, "S***... Well, at least you ain't from boston!" i didn't know quite what to say. thanks?:eek:

totempole99
02-24-2006, 14:11
===============================
Jeungling (sp??)

'Slogger

Close enough, as long as you can say it you are fine. It is Yuengling, though, oldest brewery in America.

Footslogger
02-24-2006, 14:14
Close enough, as long as you can say it you are fine. It is Yuengling, though, oldest brewery in America.
==================================
I had never tasted a Yuengling (thanks for the correct spelling) prior to my thru in 2003. I remember more than once hiking a long day just to get into a town where I could get my hands on one (or two ...or three). Can't get any out here in Wyoming <sigh>

'Slogger

Jester2000
02-24-2006, 14:20
I have always felt welcome in Duncannon and Port Clinton, which is the measure by which I judge a town. I find, though, that many hikers who make it to Pennsylvania from either direction have acquired a bit of a 'tude. Not most, just many. I don't know how I would respond if large numbers of strangers were passing through my town for months on end, but the folks in trail towns in PA handle it a lot better than I would.

khaynie
02-24-2006, 14:29
==================================
I had never tasted a Yuengling (thanks for the correct spelling) prior to my thru in 2003. I remember more than once hiking a long day just to get into a town where I could get my hands on one (or two ...or three). Can't get any out here in Wyoming <SIGH>

'Slogger

I also had never tasted a Yuengling until my thru last year. They're pretty dang tasty and cheap, too. The only place that I've been able to find themt in GA was in Savannah. Does anybody know how I can get in touch with Yuengling's distribution? It would be sweet if they sold their nectar of the Gods here in the Atlanta/Northern GA part of the state. I would definitely bring a few (along with some Bud heavies) to the GA trailheads for some trail magic if I could get my hands on some...

Oh, and I didn't have a least favorite town; however, my favorite town was Damascus. We had a hard time leaving that place - in particular the Baja Cafe'...

c.coyle
02-24-2006, 14:35

America's Oldest:

Yuengling Brewery, Pottsville, PA. (http://www.yuengling.com/)

All their brews may be enjoyed at the Port Clinton Hotel.

neo
02-24-2006, 14:46
America's Oldest:

thats if ya get waited on:cool: neo

Alligator
02-24-2006, 14:48
America's Oldest:

That I did! Well not all, just two pints. That hill out of town southbound had me concerned. If it wasn't late afternoon with I think 9 miles to go...

Yuengling-great beer for the price, like 'em all.

To date, can't think of any towns I didn't like. I didn't like not knowing the dry counties in NC.

MOWGLI
02-24-2006, 15:11
Just to be contrary, Harpers Ferry. It's picturesque, historic, and home to the ATC, but it is not a very good trail town from a hiker perspective. Lodging and resupply is very limited.

I hear they have a great outfitter though. Never been in the place though. I did enjoy my time at the KOA. It has a nice swimming pool.

neo
02-24-2006, 15:14
Just to be contrary, Harpers Ferry. It's picturesque, historic, and home to the ATC, but it is not a very good trail town from a hiker perspective. Lodging and resupply is very limited.

I hear they have a great outfitter though. Never been in the place though. I did enjoy my time at the KOA. It has a nice swimming pool.

the outfitter there is awesome,trail angel also took me to charlestown nearby,i resupplied at walmart:cool: neo

khaynie
02-24-2006, 15:24

We saw the sign on the door at the PC Hotel that asked for you be clean before you come in. So, we went to the pavilion and changed into our cleanest dirty shirt and took a whore bath. Then we proceeded back to the hotel for a few Yuengling's. We were served without getting the first wierd eye. There were some hikers who had complained about the "Clean up policy" in the PC Hotel's register. Why?

In my opinion, if a business owner chooses to ask dirty hikers to "wash off" before being served, well that's his business. Truthfully, if I owned a business near the trail, and I had other non-hiker types (which 99% of the people in the bar that night were) that provided me with a source of income, I would ask the same thing. Seems pretty simple to me...:-?

neo
02-24-2006, 15:28
We saw the sign on the door at the PC Hotel that asked for you be clean before you come in. So, we went to the pavilion and changed into our cleanest dirty shirt and took a whore bath. Then we proceeded back to the hotel for a few Yuengling's. We were served without getting the first wierd eye. There were some hikers who had complained about the "Clean up policy" in the PC Hotel's register. Why?

In my opinion, if a business owner chooses to ask dirty hikers to "wash off" before being served, well that's his business. Truthfully, if I owned a business near the trail, and I had other non-hiker types (which 99% of the people in the bar that night were) that provided me with a source of income, I would ask the same thing. Seems pretty simple to me...:-?
i was not that dirty,i was a little tired and hungry,i hiked from 501 almost 25
miles,at least the B&B served me:cool: neo

khaynie
02-24-2006, 15:32
They just didn't wait on you - hmmm, maybe it was under different management the night we passed thru... They didn't give us any trouble. Well, the plate of fries they served us did. Holy crow, they must have used 6 potatos...

Your welcome.

Almost There
02-24-2006, 15:35
The problem is the way Georgia handles liquor imports/any alcoholic beverages flowing into the state. I knew a guy who owned a distributorship for wine...and what a pain in the butt it is for anyone to break into the industry in Georgia based upon how the law is written. If you notice there are distributors in NC, SC, Ala, and Fla, but none in Georgia. Best bet is to find a store in one of these states and go there or see if they will ship.

Thank the bibble thumpers of Georgia for the wonderful restrictions!!! And yes I meant to say "bibble"!!!

c.coyle
02-24-2006, 15:43

I gotta be a little careful here, since I have been known to bend an elbow at the PCH on occasion. There is one particular bartender there who is notoriously slow - for hikers, bikers, locals, and everyone else. It wasn't because you reeked or bored him with endless hammock stories. ;)

khaynie
02-24-2006, 15:46
The problem is the way Georgia handles liquor imports/any alcoholic beverages flowing into the state. I knew a guy who owned a distributorship for wine...and what a pain in the butt it is for anyone to break into the industry in Georgia based upon how the law is written. If you notice there are distributors in NC, SC, Ala, and Fla, but none in Georgia. Best bet is to find a store in one of these states and go there or see if they will ship.

Thank the bibble thumpers of Georgia for the wonderful restrictions!!! And yes I meant to say "bibble"!!!

I think I'll write my congressman, John Lewis. He seems to have a good handle on things.

neo
02-24-2006, 15:49
every one jumped on this post,very few responded to the favorite trail town post:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13220

totempole99
02-24-2006, 15:54
The only place that I've been able to find themt in GA was in Savannah. Does anybody know how I can get in touch with Yuengling's distribution? It would be sweet if they sold their nectar of the Gods here in the Atlanta/Northern GA part of the state.

I'm still a year away from legally buying them, so I don't know too many places that sell it. So umm, don't ask how I know this, but I know you can get it in Athens.

totempole99
02-24-2006, 15:57
every one jumped on this post,very few responded to the favorite trail town post:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13220

My bad Neo, somehow the knockout punch has a stange effect on people.

c.coyle
02-24-2006, 16:17

Neo - I was just funnin' you about the hammock stories. Although, I once overheard that same barman grumbling about "some guy asking me why I sleep on the ground." :D

98% of my AT experience is in Pa., so I'm not qualified to name a favorite trail town. The PCH and the 3C's Restaurant are really friendly places. The outfitter is great. But, it seems to me that some hikers have unrealistic expectations about Port Clinton as a "trail town". It's hardly a town at all. Just a few residential streets. It was literally cut in half in the 50's when they built Route 61 right through the middle of it.

Damascus is at the top of my list of trail towns to see. I'll get there one of these days.

Curt
02-24-2006, 17:57
I live near Hiawassee ( 6 miles from town, in NC) and I try to help as many hikers as I can when I see them in town. The Daniel's House burned down last year but it is back in business. I think Hiawassee is one of the best trail towns and that is one of the reasons I moved here 4 years ago.

Corsican

Cheesewhiz
02-24-2006, 18:04

Whats wrong? Was PA to rocky and difficult for ya, and then the small towns didn't have what you wanted? I have been born and raised on the PA rocks I laugh at the rocks!

Just joking I better not bad mouth the PA trail before my hike, Karma is a sonamab!t(h

Moxie00
02-24-2006, 22:52
The worst trail towns were the ones five miles off the trail when no one picked you up. Even then they were wonderful when you got there. I did not experience a bad trail town. They are all different but they all had good things to offer. If you are good to people you meet in town they will be good to you. I have a wicked Maine accent but I got along with town folks in the south and the middle atlantic states.

Pedaling Fool
02-24-2006, 23:11
I am considering a maildrop in either Roan Mountain, Tn. or Elk Park, NC.

How would you'll rate these two towns.

Burn
02-25-2006, 08:18
roan Mt has a sufficient grocery store to resupply at and a hostel named Buck's Place...was free is 05...they make their moeny on the burgers and beer and Buck loves the hiker stories....i've been using his place since my 1st over Mt attempt in 98 or 99....he's Aok in my book and they will shuttle you to the store for groceries....i'd drop em gas money and work with thrie schedule....a poor hitch town, yet i have always gotten a hitch there, even one way back to Miss janet's cause the guy just got outta jail and wanted to run the roads....whatta trip.

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2006, 16:40
I've also heard good things about Buck's place. Another alternative to re-supplying in Elk Park or Roan Mtn. is to pack a little extra food, and re-supply at Kincora Hostel, about 24 miles down the line from Rt. 19E. Kincora accepts mail drops and also provides a daily shuttle for guests to a large supermarket.

swift
02-25-2006, 18:23
favorite town: Rangeley/Monson, in fact every town in Maine I was in is right up there. The least favorite: Kent, Ct.

mingo
02-26-2006, 18:10
hanover -- everybody you passed on the street looked the other way. the frat houses wouldn't let us in, and prices were high in the restaurants and bars

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2006, 18:16
Mingo:

Why should the frat houses "let you in?"

Are you a member or former member of any of them?

The prices are high in MOST of the restaurants and bars in Hanover; it's a typical New England college town. But some places in town are quite reasonable: Five-Olde has all sorts of $3.00 beers; the Canoe Club has PBR for $2.50. Ramunto's Pizza has cheap pitchers. And there are all sorts of affordable places to eat, including a few AYCE options.

I guess you just went to the wrong places.

Pacific Tortuga
02-26-2006, 18:33
[quote= in Hanover; it's a typical New England college town.

I guess if you live out east it's a typical New England (ivy league) college town which usually equates to big bucks. Maybe living out west makes your schools look more impressive.

astrogirl
02-26-2006, 22:51
I was dreading Kent, but I really liked it. I was so desperate for a shower by the time I got there that I was ready to get out the credit card for a hotel room, whatever it cost. I was thrilled to find a shower at the outfitter for $2!

I had beer and a giant salad, my two standard town things at that time, and did laundry. It was all good.

I have to agree that ultimately, Harper's Ferry wasn't good for me. If I were to do that part of the trail again, I would not overnight there, just visit the ATC. That section also contains Bear's Den Hostel and the Blackburn AT Center, so there are good alternatives.

I loved Duncannon and did stay at the Doyle.

TACKLE
02-27-2006, 20:33
I never met a trailtown I did'nt like! That Yuengling beer youst to cost $5.00 ,for a case of 16oz. returnable bottles back in 1980 when I lived in Philly.I was shocked when I saw how popular it is now.Every town had it from Ga. to Pa..It still tastes great even though the price went up a little.

MOWGLI
02-27-2006, 20:35
I was dreading Kent, but I really liked it.

Kent has one of the best bakeries on the trail. Or it did anyway in 2000. It was a great Sunday morning pit stop.

the goat
02-27-2006, 22:21
hanover -- everybody you passed on the street looked the other way. the frat houses wouldn't let us in, and prices were high in the restaurants and bars

yeah, i'll pretty much second what jack has to say on the subject. but i'd also like to add that there's a reason that some of the frats don't take in hikers anymore. on my '03 hike, there was a nobo staying @ panarchy (a frat that used to let hikers stay there for free). he got wasted, tried to start a fight, was warned several times to lay off, he didn't, no hikers (of which, there were many others present) did anything to diffuse the situation, this nobo got his ass kicked, and i had the displeasure of staying there right after this incident & was the last thruhiker to stay there. that's right, after a long tradition of taking in hikers, that's when they ceased.
unfortunately when one acts like like an *******, it reflects poorly on all of us. don't misunderstand, i drink w/ the best of 'em and enjoy alcoholic beverages often, but if you can't handle your sauce, lay off it!

Skidsteer
02-27-2006, 22:43
unfortunately when one acts like like an *******, it reflects poorly on all of us. don't misunderstand, i drink w/ the best of 'em and enjoy alcoholic beverages often, but if you can't handle your sauce, lay off it!

Well-spoken regardless of your recreational preferences.

He must have been really wasted for a fraternity to toss him out!

Jack Tarlin
02-28-2006, 18:31
Goat's 100% right on this one; I passed thru Hanover days right after this happened. The guys at the frat didn't feel great about it, but they had no choice. The hiker in question was a jerk.

Five years ago there were four or five Dartmouth College residences that took in hikers. They did so for years. Now there are none, and it's all because of hiker idiots.

Here's the news: Just because you're thru-hiking doesn't give you the right to be a jerk. It doesn't mean you're entitled to low-cost or free stuff, or free lodging.

All it means is that you're lucky enough, for whatever reason, to be on the Trail for six months. It doesn't mean you're God.

For anyone to complain that a place sucks because they didn't take you in for free and give you a free night's lodging is the epitome of "I'm special, I'm a thru-hiker!" Some hikers need to get over themselves. If someone wants to take care of you, feed you, put you up for the night, etc., that's great, but don't expect it, don't take it for granted, and most of all, don't get all pissy when this kindness ISN'T extended.

Trail magic is just that.....it's magic. Don'y expect it, don't take it for granted, and for heaven's sake, don't get to thinking you're entitled to it.

Blue Jay
02-28-2006, 21:26
I take offence at people bad mouthing any trail town on the AT. At one time or another I've stayed in all of them. I've been treated with respect in every last one. The trail towns along the AT have taken all of us in, including the Neos, for many years. They deserve the respect they have earned. You don't like one of them, please go someplace else.

neo
02-28-2006, 21:36
I take offence at people bad mouthing any trail town on the AT. At one time or another I've stayed in all of them. I've been treated with respect in every last one. The trail towns along the AT have taken all of us in, including the Neos, for many years. They deserve the respect they have earned. You don't like one of them, please go someplace else.

i have never done any thing bad in any trail town to get treated bad:cool: neo

KirkMcquest
02-28-2006, 21:44
, this nobo got his ass kicked

They got in a FEW lucky punches, but I still feel that I one the fight.;)

fiddlehead
03-01-2006, 22:21
Yuengling Brewery is located about 15 miles north of Port Clinto near route 61 between Pottsville and St. Clair. They also have a brewery in Florida which makes their great beers available in the southeast US.
Anyway, to get back to the original question, my least favorite town on the AT was Millinocket, ME because it meant the hike was over.
If you don't like a town, go back out on the trail.
Many townpeople REALLY don't like the way hikers smell and may be the reason you have had bad experiences.
I used to resent that statement but after some long discussions in the Port clinton hotel with my cousin (who used to work there) and then 2 hikers came in and i saw ( i meant smelled) what he meant.

The Desperado
03-01-2006, 23:13
I didnt like Erwin,Tn. in 1969, but like it and all of them now.....some more than others, but they're all pretty good I think.

Ender
03-02-2006, 10:13
Many townpeople REALLY don't like the way hikers smell and may be the reason you have had bad experiences.

Funny story from Gatlinburg, TN... on the shuttle bus when a local turns to a fellow hiker and says "Man, take a damn shower.", to which he replies... "But I just did!"

Blue Jay
03-02-2006, 13:15
i have never done any thing bad in any trail town to get treated bad:cool: neo

Maybe I missed something. Exactly how were you treated badly in Port Clinton?

skeeterfeeder
03-05-2006, 13:17
One of my favorite trail towns was Great Barrington, mostly because a Trail Angel by the name of Blue Jay picked me and Geronimo up, took us to resupply and then took us back to the trail head. He then gave me his phone number and said if I needed help anywhere in New England, he would drive from NY to help out. Thanks, Blue Jay....

ATSeamstress
03-05-2006, 13:40
I passed through Port Clinton on a section hike, so I had not planned to stay or resupply there, just to walk through. However, when we got to town, there was a wonderful chicken dinner and bake sale going on to benefit the fire station. Unfortunately we had just had lunch but I bet a really hungry longer distance hiker would have loved it. We did, however, partake of some brownies and Rice Krispie treats at the bake sale. We sat and rested and talked to the locals. They allowed us to fill up our water bottles and take a bird bath in the restroom. Really nice folks. An unexpected but enjoyable break from our day.

A few days later, we needed to end our hike a bit early. We found a pay phone and made a few phone calls to try to get a shuttle back to our car. We were able to get a hold of the guy who owns the outfitters in Port Clinton, who came and got us. He was very courteous and an interesting guy to talk to.

So . . . overall I have good memories of Port Clinton.

neo
03-05-2006, 14:00

i love hanover:cool: neo

neo
03-05-2006, 14:03
Maybe I missed something. Exactly how were you treated badly in Port Clinton?

i sat in the resturant and waited,and waited and waited,did not get waited on so after 45 minutes i left,i enjoyed sleeping at the pavillion though:cool: neo

lobster
03-05-2006, 14:21
Maybe it's self-serve???

bfitz
03-06-2006, 01:54
After being in the woods for a week every town looks great, but Duncannon and port clinton are two of the best towns on the trail. And Erwin! Today I am in Duncannon, and I've had more trail magic in PA than any other state...that's why I keep comin back. If I had to criticize a town, it would be salisbury because everything is super-expensive, but the ice-cream shop rules (I love ice cream, so...). It boggles the mind that anyone could dislike duncannon.............

Blue Jay
03-06-2006, 08:21
i sat in the resturant and waited,and waited and waited,did not get waited on so after 45 minutes i left,:cool: neo

Oh, the horror.

Krewzer
03-06-2006, 11:56
Sorry, this got a bit long.

All the towns were good. But to me, it's all about attitude and chance. If my attitude was good, the town was good. Chance...well that's just trail magic by another name.

I don't want to pick a one favorite trail town. But since it gets mentioned a lot, I'll say I had a great time in Port Clinton, but it could have gone either way.

I didn't know much about the place, because it was just a mail drop spot on the map to me. I came into town hot, stinky, thirsty, tired, alone and dreading a heavy mail drop at the P.O. It was low day and my attitude was not good.

Chance intervened, a sign at the P.O. said closed for lunch, 11am until 2pm. You've got to be kidding me, a 3 hour lunch, don't they know I've got miles to go before I sleep. I'm pissed a bit, so this is not a good trail town, right?

More chance, a kid on a bike directed me to the Port Clinton Hotel for something to eat. There I got what I considered a cool reception and one of those "we only have a couple rooms left and I don't care if you stay here or not" attitudes. But it doesn't matter, I ain't stayin' and more so I don't think I like this town anyway. The air conditioning, cold beer, burger and that huge pile of fries helps a little bit, but not enough. Chance intervenes more. I'm finishing my burger and brew, and wondering what the heck I'm going to do in this jerk-water town for another hour and a half, when I hear thunder. Oh great, I'm cursed, it's going rain more, my boots will never be dry.

The beer taps are lined up in front of me, so I wave at the old boy running the bar, who has kept a wary eye on me every second I've been in there, and picked tap number one.

The storm breaks and it's a doozey. My attitude changes a bit more, I'm so glad that PO was closed and I'm not dodging lightning on the ridge. Might as well order another from tap number two. This time the bar keep comes over and asked me what I do for a living? Huh??? Conversation??? You talkin' to me!? Where you from, where you going, how long you been out, how long to get there, all the regular hiker questions. He and the waitresses had guessed I was in the medical field, a doctor maybe. Sorry, correct answer, just recently retired hairy legged lineman. We had a big laugh about that.

It's just amazing what a little communication can do for your attitude and mine got a whole lot better. The storm went on for the longest, I discovered Yuenglueng (sp?), found out three of my friends had gotten there butts thrown out the night before (rightly so, and explained earlier attitudes), got one of those two rooms left, recieved the first of several free popsicles from the lady that didn't care if I stayed or not, and an offer to tour the oldest brewery in the United States. Went on to a hot bath, clean bed, laundry done and had one of my best days and nights off the AT. All because chance intervened and I had a major attitude adjustment.

Trail towns are as much a part of the AT as the mountains and streams. Some days a diamond, some days a stone. It's all about the magic and the attitude.

c.coyle
03-06-2006, 14:02
i sat in the resturant and waited,and waited and waited,did not get waited on so after 45 minutes i left ...

Did you tip the Maitre D' when he seated you?

neo
03-06-2006, 15:08
Sorry, this got a bit long.

All the towns were good. But to me, it's all about attitude and chance. If my attitude was good, the town was good. Chance...well that's just trail magic by another name.

I don't want to pick a one favorite trail town. But since it gets mentioned a lot, I'll say I had a great time in Port Clinton, but it could have gone either way.

I didn't know much about the place, because it was just a mail drop spot on the map to me. I came into town hot, stinky, thirsty, tired, alone and dreading a heavy mail drop at the P.O. It was low day and my attitude was not good.

Chance intervened, a sign at the P.O. said closed for lunch, 11am until 2pm. You've got to be kidding me, a 3 hour lunch, don't they know I've got miles to go before I sleep. I'm pissed a bit, so this is not a good trail town, right?

More chance, a kid on a bike directed me to the Port Clinton Hotel for something to eat. There I got what I considered a cool reception and one of those "we only have a couple rooms left and I don't care if you stay here or not" attitudes. But it doesn't matter, I ain't stayin' and more so I don't think I like this town anyway. The air conditioning, cold beer, burger and that huge pile of fries helps a little bit, but not enough. Chance intervenes more. I'm finishing my burger and brew, and wondering what the heck I'm going to do in this jerk-water town for another hour and a half, when I hear thunder. Oh great, I'm cursed, it's going rain more, my boots will never be dry.

The beer taps are lined up in front of me, so I wave at the old boy running the bar, who has kept a wary eye on me every second I've been in there, and picked tap number one.

The storm breaks and it's a doozey. My attitude changes a bit more, I'm so glad that PO was closed and I'm not dodging lightning on the ridge. Might as well order another from tap number two. This time the bar keep comes over and asked me what I do for a living? Huh??? Conversation??? You talkin' to me!? Where you from, where you going, how long you been out, how long to get there, all the regular hiker questions. He and the waitresses had guessed I was in the medical field, a doctor maybe. Sorry, correct answer, just recently retired hairy legged lineman. We had a big laugh about that.

It's just amazing what a little communication can do for your attitude and mine got a whole lot better. The storm went on for the longest, I discovered Yuenglueng (sp?), found out three of my friends had gotten there butts thrown out the night before (rightly so, and explained earlier attitudes), got one of those two rooms left, recieved the first of several free popsicles from the lady that didn't care if I stayed or not, and an offer to tour the oldest brewery in the United States. Went on to a hot bath, clean bed, laundry done and had one of my best days and nights off the AT. All because chance intervened and I had a major attitude adjustment.

Trail towns are as much a part of the AT as the mountains and streams. Some days a diamond, some days a stone. It's all about the magic and the attitude.

not my attitude,i dont raise hell in towns,i dont drink or do anything to draw negative attention:cool: neo

saimyoji
03-06-2006, 18:04
Krewzer: It occurs to me that God threw you a bone: the PO being closed right when you got there, the thunderstorm, and...BEER.

I've been a regular at a few pubs, and I think its universal that, in a small town, when a total stranger shows up there are assumptions (medical field?), stereotypes (hiker) and the subsequent walls and attitudes. After your third beer they warmed up to you.

The answer is clear: drink three beers for good service at the Doyle. Oh, and don't just sit there for 45 min and not speak up for service. No offence intended neo, just common sense IMO.

saimyoji
03-06-2006, 18:06
Oh, yeah...great story Krewzer. :cool:

Krewzer
03-06-2006, 18:34
My apologies Neo, I didn't mean to infer it was your fault you didn't like Port Clinton. I have no idea what was going on in your mind that day or what you were expecting. My point is, I found that attitude changes everything. For me and many others, trail and town experiences are directly related to attitude. Obviously, that wasn't a good day for you. I don't have any idea why, but I would give 'em another shot. You never know what might happen.

Santa Claus never brought me everything I wanted, but I never thought Christmas sucked.

Ridge
03-07-2006, 00:02
I've never met a trail town I didn't like. I guess one could have a bad experience, I didn't. I did have a few good times in Hiawassee, Hot Springs, Damascus, Hanover, and Monson. Pretty much in that order too.