PDA

View Full Version : whats everybodys favorite town or towns

neo
02-24-2006, 12:51
my favorite trail town south of the mason dixon line is waynesboro va.
my favorite town north on the mason dixon line is palmerton pa.:cool: neo

Heater
02-24-2006, 13:15
my favorite trail town south of the mason dixon line is waynesboro va.
my favorite town north on the mason dixon line is palmerton pa.:cool: neo

Austin is the best Southern town.

I have very limited exposure to towns up North. Mostly in Conn. but I would think somewhere in VT. or NH might be the best up there.

neo
02-24-2006, 13:19
Austin is the best Southern town.

I have very limited exposure to towns up North. Mostly in Conn. but I would think somewhere in VT. or NH might be the best up there.

how is austin tx an appalachian trail town:cool: neo

neo
02-24-2006, 16:04
palmerton pa,so many nice people in that wonderful town,nicest town i ever been in on my hike:cool: neo

neo
02-24-2006, 16:08
palmerton pa,so many nice people in that wonderful town,nicest town i ever been in on my hike:cool: neo

waynesboro va love that town to:cool: neo

mdionne
02-24-2006, 16:16
geez, not another yuenling thread:rolleyes:

Catsgoing
02-24-2006, 18:37
All areas Brattle­boro in Vermont.... Hope to make it to Maine this year via Van...

Health isn't well enough to hike long distances this year.... :(

Burn
02-25-2006, 07:36
hot springs, erwin, hampton, damascus..those 4 towns so early and so close, what a nice area of the country...personally i loved port clinton more than palmerton

MOWGLI
02-25-2006, 08:28
Hot Springs. Small, quaint, and everything a hiker needs.

MOWGLI
02-25-2006, 08:30
In the north I'd have to vote for Monson based on my experience in 2000. Of course, much has changed since then, and none for the better. :(

Heater
02-25-2006, 09:45
how is austin tx an appalachian trail town:cool: neo

That's not what you asked:cool:

MOWGLI
02-25-2006, 09:48
If I took Austex's tact, Asheville, NC would be my #1 favorite city in the SE - hands down. If there had been gainful employment there in '03, I'd probably be living in NC instead of Chattanooga.

Favorite trail town overall? Hmmmm... Leadville, CO rates pretty high.

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2006, 16:33
In order, from the South upwards, Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus, Pearisburg,
Duncannon, and Hanover.

jackiebolen
02-25-2006, 19:35
Duncannon, who doesn't like the Doyle? Erwin, Damascus.

The Desperado
02-25-2006, 20:41
Hot Springs, Damascus for down south. And Monson and Rangeley up north....followed closely by good ole Hanover--believe it or not. Lots of nice memories their over the years.

saimyoji
02-25-2006, 21:14
Neo: funny you despise Port Clinton, but your favorite town is a polluted, corrupt hole like Palmerton. Those of us who live in PA think of Palmerton as the A-hole of the state....while we're still trying to clean up the water there, they want to build a race track (Nasacar style) just over the ridge). Real nice folks. 'Course they love pinatas, I mean hammocks. (pokin fun at ya...be cool)

Moxie00
02-26-2006, 00:22
If you hike the C. D. T. in Montana when you get to The Highway to The Sun hitch a ride east for about 6 or 8 miles to Saint Mary's. When you pass the entranse of glacier Park head north about 500 yards to The Park Cafe. They have the best trail food I have ever found in my years of hiking including the entire AT. They feature a killer vegeterian menu but also have good meat dishes, Because of the great food at the Park Cafe, Saint Mary, Montana is my favorite trail town. Oh yes, you can shower and do your laundry at either the park campground or several private campgrounds in the area. Beer is available at the supermarket and there are a couple of bars in this small town. Most of the townspeople are Blackfeet Indians but no hiker has been scalped in the last year or so.

Nokia
02-26-2006, 06:11
I'm partial to North Woodstock, but I grew up there. I really enjoy Waynesboro and Harpers Ferry too.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2006, 10:00
I love Gatlinburg.

Moxie00
02-26-2006, 11:18
They love you in Duncannon, old people even come out of their houses when I walked past with a pack to ask where Lone Wolf was.

irritable_badger
02-26-2006, 13:04
I love Gatlinburg.
It's funny how people from different areas will enjoy towns that the locals consider to be the "a-hole" of the state (as stated above) We consider Gatlinburg the a-hole of TN tourism and someone above considers Palmerton, PA to be their favorite but the locals don't like it. I think it's probably a lot like the rest of the Trail experience. Each person is going to have radically different opinions on the best town.

Actually, most people's opinions of a town come from their experiences there; good party, meeting a pretty girl, having a fight with your significant other, getting arrested, etc.. The experiences generally define a good town, not the town itself.

irritable_badger
02-26-2006, 13:06
... good party, meeting a pretty girl, having a fight with your significant other, getting arrested...
That actually sounds like a plausible sequence of events but those are just examples, not personal experiences (in that order anyway :D)

Catsgoing
02-26-2006, 21:17
If I took Austex's tact, Asheville, NC would be my #1 favorite city in the SE - hands down. If there had been gainful employment there in '03, I'd probably be living in NC instead of Chattanooga.

Favorite trail town overall? Hmmmm... Leadville, CO rates pretty high.

I have been there I liked that area of CO. also. I took 3 months one summer and camped all over the Rockies. Of course that was before I knew there was better places to camp other than KOA's.... LOL stupid was I.....

lobster
02-27-2006, 12:37
Lots of fat people walking around Gatlinburg.

It seems to be the Obesity Gathering spot of America.

carolinahiker
02-28-2006, 11:49
Hot Springs