PDA

View Full Version : Quilts with non-continuous baffles

ncwild
02-17-2019, 08:35
Really interested in perhaps getting a down quilt for Spring AT hiking. Seems like all of the manufacturers are using "continuous baffles", either vertical or horizontal that allows the down to shift. I realize that the down still stays on the top and does not shift to the bottom, however, some of the down could still shift in areas on the top and sides, allowing cold spots. Does anyone know of a company that makes quilts with non-continuous baffles? Thanks.

Time Zone
02-17-2019, 10:12
Other than sewn-through? I'd be surprised. Seems like that would be really slow to make. Non-continuous baffles - how big are the down sections? I mean if a continuous baffle is say 5" wide and runs the length (or width) of a quilt, you're talking essentially 3-D boxes of down in the quilt. How big are they? I can't imagine how difficult and long it would take to fill each one well, sew baffle walls, and then go on to the next row of such boxes.

I think there are ways of doing it that are almost like that, such as karo step, which makes the migration of down a bit slower or more difficult, but ultimately they are continuous too. They're like incomplete boxes, where the corners of each box are missing.

In my limited experience, you'd be smart to avoid treated (hydrophobic) down, which appears to have a reputation for clumping (even when fully dry). Top end companies like Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends don't use treated down, and IIRC Underground Quilts has moved away from treated down. Others may follow suit, but right now, it seems the vast majority of mainstream brands in down sleeping bags use some form of treated down.

ncwild
02-17-2019, 10:25
I did find one company, "Loco Libre" that does appear to limit the shifting utilizing what they call a "Chevron" style baffle. Anyone have any experience with this company? Their "Ghost Pepper" quilt looks pretty impressive.

Traillium
02-17-2019, 10:43
I DIY’d a quilt that has sewing only along the edges of the quilt. No shifting of the insulation at all. Fully even insulation. Simple construction.
Dependable warmth.
Sheets of Climashield. Synthetic.
In ‘edge’ conditions, i.e., cold and/or wet, dependability counts more than a few units of weight or volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
02-17-2019, 16:57
I did find one company, "Loco Libre" that does appear to limit the shifting utilizing what they call a "Chevron" style baffle. Anyone have any experience with this company? Their "Ghost Pepper" quilt looks pretty impressive.

I had one...LOVED it. The down really doesn't move at all. Very high quality gear too, and George takes good care of his customers. I only sold it (and the rest of my hammock set-up) because I was moving internationally and had to seriously cut down on everything I owned. But I would highly recommend LLG.

greensleep
02-17-2019, 17:21
I've got a 0' Ghost Pepper that I love.

Vince G
02-18-2019, 09:19
Warbonnet has their new Diamondback quilt that has a constrictor that limits down shift. You can also overstuff a quilt with continuous baffles which will also help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rain Man
02-18-2019, 12:11
Does anyone know of a company that makes quilts with non-continuous baffles? Thanks.

Are you thinking of what's called "KARO" baffles? I made a couple of DIY UQs using a modified KARO baffle design of my own doing.

At one time, I believe I recall seeing an online cottage industry selling down quilts with KARO baffles. Will leave it to you to google, but also have you checked www.hammockforums.net? That's THE online source for all things hammock-backpacking related, including for sure quilts.