PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Springer?

MyFeetHurt
02-24-2006, 13:45
I'm starting my Thru next Friday and I have some buddies who want to start out with me for the first day. They plan on hiking in with me then hiking back out the same way Saturday. Is there parking on top of Springer. I know there is at Ammacalola for the spur trail but I've done that trail a bunch and some of my friends may not be prepared for how rugged it is, so I was just wanting to start at Springer. Thanks for any knowledge.....

khaynie
02-24-2006, 14:18
Parking area .9 miles N of Springer Summit on USFS 42. That would be a good place for your friends to hop on the trail w/ you.

generoll
02-24-2006, 17:21
it's an easy two days to Woody Gap. if you can arrange a shuttle they could leave their car at Woody and hike with you for two days.

Burn
02-25-2006, 08:23
for yer day hike idea for yer buddies i'd get the directions to springer USFR42 and have em park there, go to springer and back, then possibly to stover creek shelter for a small jag, then they can back track or loop via the benton mckey trail...they would want to get a printout for the return trip if they do the loop out via BM trail so they don't go the wrong way...it would be more or less a 6 or 7 mile day for them if they go down to stover creek.

bigmac_in
02-25-2006, 10:59
The .9 mile hike from the USFS parking lot to Springer Mt. summit is an easy hike - perfect for what you want I would say. They could pick up day packs as you come back past the parking lot. Both suggestions listed previously would work out fine for what you are trying to work out for your buddies. Call Profile and Almanac at the Hiker Hostel - they can probably give them a shuttle.

The parking lot at USFS42 on Springer - http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9158&c=500&userid=6665

Almost There
02-25-2006, 23:11
If they wanted to hike the BMT on the way back, you don't need any maps it is clearly marked in that area with signs at the trail intersections. I have hiked it a bunch of times. Personally I like the BMT better than the AT in this area, there is also some better vistas in this area!!!