PDA

View Full Version : Second Chance Hiker Takes on the PCT: 200 lbs Overweight

Pages : [1] 2

Gambit McCrae
02-19-2019, 15:50
I came across this guy on the tube and at first thought it was crazy. The more videos of his I watch, the more....."Good for him!" Good for him for getting out there on the trail, and good for him for wanting and working so hard to try and lose the weight. However far he makes it, it will be an accomplishment and hopefully an inspiration to others to get out there, find their goals and work as hard as they can until they accomplish them!

https://youtu.be/X_S6fvUBAYE

https://youtu.be/Pah-XiOT0cc

https://youtu.be/GOPyrXZREQ8

https://youtu.be/YTogdMXEZWk

https://youtu.be/XfnneEdvQfk

https://youtu.be/4W3U3N0KHsc

Gambit McCrae
02-19-2019, 15:51
https://youtu.be/vT8xtzrMmbM

https://youtu.be/y42-pCH6-hE

https://youtu.be/Xbd8_MpsOlI

fastfoxengineering
02-19-2019, 15:54
This dudes going to Canada. And im excited for him. You can tell he's got grit.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Venchka
02-19-2019, 17:31
Have I got this right ?
He started January 31, 2019?
That’s a bit early.
All the best to him! If he can do it, anybody can.
Get busy Wayne.

Gambit McCrae
02-19-2019, 17:36
Have I got this right ?
He started January 31, 2019?
That’s a bit early.
All the best to him! If he can do it, anybody can.
Get busy Wayne.

I think he started at the correct time for himself. He went 7 miles in the first 3 days so until he drops that first stage of weight he will eb very slow going. Once the easy weight falls off which I would say could be substantial, I think he will be able to pickup his MPD to a bit more.

What is it, 700 miles to the sierras?

Gambit McCrae
02-19-2019, 17:37
This dudes going to Canada. And im excited for him. You can tell he's got grit.

I agree! I hope he makes it, he has great spirit

Venchka
02-19-2019, 18:13
I think he started at the correct time for himself. He went 7 miles in the first 3 days so until he drops that first stage of weight he will eb very slow going. Once the easy weight falls off which I would say could be substantial, I think he will be able to pickup his MPD to a bit more.

Smacks his head hard!
Duh! Wayne. I should watch the videos first. That’s one way to get a permit without any hassle.
I believe it is 700 miles, in round numbers, to Kennedy Meadows. That’s about where the Sierras start.
Wayne

fastfoxengineering
02-19-2019, 18:26
As long as he gets in better shape and progressively ramps up his mileage, hell be fine. I know a couple of miles per day wont cut it... but i think hell be fine once he hits the sierras.

He gave himself a 2 month break in period. He will know if he can go the distance by then.

I hope he lightens up his pack a bit though. He looks all out of wack.

Someone gets this man some ul gear!

Time Zone
02-19-2019, 18:59
I hope he lightens up his pack a bit though. He looks all out of wack.
Someone gets this man some ul gear!

Can't watch 'em all but it looks like he has a z-packs tent and klymit inflatable pad. I'm sure his gear has to be big (not just clothes, but pad - perhaps a static v luxe insulated, which is going to be heavy), and he is toting a fair bit of electronics to vlog. Plus he clearly needs more water and food than most, for now.

Think I spotted a z-lite too

The top of his pack is angled strangely backward. The straps are clearly on his shoulders, so he may not be able to get it around his waist to elevate it off his shoulders. Not yet ... he seems to have a great attitude and that's going to serve him very well. He's as affable as if someone were right there with him. I'm amazed at how well he keeps up his spirits.

Venchka
02-19-2019, 23:07
I watched most of what is online.
He was in a plain cabin. Full of take out food. I’m guessing the burger place in Morena. He won’t be loosing weight.
Day 10. Mile 26.
Day 10-11-12: Visit to REI and more restaurants.
He’s well funded. Or he won’t be on the trail much longer.
Recommend:
Seeking Lost. The Metalbackpacker. 2018 CDT THRU.
Cheers!
Wayne

Malto
02-20-2019, 09:07
He was in a plain cabin. Full of take out food. I’m guessing the burger place in Morena. He won’t be loosing weight.
Day 10. Mile 26.
Recommend:
Cheers!
Wayne

I also came to same conclusion that he isn’t losing any weight yet. Why? At the end of day 12 he has almost hit the point that I hit on day 1. I had eaten less than 5000 calories to get to that point and he has either 3-4 zeros and all those helpful people bringing him extra food that will more than offset the increased burn rate from being 2x my weight. But you can’t help but root for the guy. I probably haven’t seen a better natured hiker. I hope that he can get water and fueling squared away because he is putting himself in more danger that he thinks. Others can hike their way out of a lot of situations, he is not capable of doing that at this time. Running out of water, not properly eating, almost losing your shelter to the wind, individually, none of these are a big deal but the cascade effect could have a far different outcome. Fingers crossed.

chknfngrs
02-20-2019, 10:27
I haven’t seen all the videos, yet. I’ve never seen a guy so excited about rain!

Venchka
02-20-2019, 10:39
For him, rain means Zeros and collecting water. He can’t count on rain forever.
I’ve never seen anyone brag about their first “water crossing”. It looked like an ankle deep puddle maybe one pace wide.
I can’t criticize. He’s on a trail and I’m not.
A Trail name yet?
Wayne

chknfngrs
02-20-2019, 11:38
Second Chance seems appropriate

JPritch
02-20-2019, 14:36
He certainly has made his fair share of newbie mistakes. I could almost feel the weight myself when he stated that he wasn't using a waist belt because it wouldn't fit or that he wasn't using his load lifters properly. Looks like a lot of folks are giving him good advice though. I hope he can get it all dialed in shortly.

Dogwood
02-20-2019, 16:36
That over wt and having the health and medical consequences that go with it choosing a PCT thru hiking environment to address it can include possible life threatening scenarios. Problematic is that some, I'd say most, LD Newbs and quite a few experienced LD hikers have is transitioning not only from off trail life to on trail life, and then LD on trail life, but re-transitioning back to off trail life after some lengthy time on trail. It's often hard enough making these transitions without the severe wt issue AND the related medical and health consequences. It's in evidence by how many threads and posts on WB occur relating the difficulties LD thrus have post thru hike readjusting. This includes post thru hike body wt management, fitness management, time management, mental outlook after a thru, and readjusting to new lifestyle changes. If the hike helps great but IMHO it may not be the best place to lose all that wt while possibly addressing required immediate medical needs. Admittedly, I didn't watch all the linked vids but I wonder if this person is concisely being medically advised, monitored, or professionally health care counseled as he's thru hiking? LD backpacking isn't exercising or going to the gym for 1-2 hrs daily as part of one's life or fitness goals. It is one's life. LD backpacking is more an endurance lifestyle event.

Dogwood
02-20-2019, 16:57

The man can do what he wants but I'd suggest losing the wt safely be prioritized within the framework of a hike...which does not have to be a thru hike. MPD or completing a PCT thru should not be the utmost priority. IMHO if completing a PCT thru is prioritized that can easily take away from safely losing wt gaining some health aspects. A wide range of health and medical stats should be monitored rather than simply noting wt fall off or how far up the trail he gets. I agree with Malto that he's placing himself in greater danger than he thinks. This can be analogous to those who go out unprepared, getting into serious trouble, more trouble than they realized could occur, and need S&R or some other assistance to survive. Doing such without supervision is dangerous possibly likened to some degree of good natured recklessness.

Gambit McCrae
02-20-2019, 17:58
The man can do what he wants but I'd suggest losing the wt safely be prioritized within the framework of a hike...which does not have to be a thru hike. MPD or completing a PCT thru should not be the utmost priority. IMHO if completing a PCT thru is prioritized that can easily take away from safely losing wt gaining some health aspects. A wide range of health and medical stats should be monitored rather than simply noting wt fall off or how far up the trail he gets. I agree with Malto that he's placing himself in greater danger than he thinks. This can be analogous to those who go out unprepared, getting into serious trouble, more trouble than they realized could occur, and need S&R or some other assistance to survive. Doing such without supervision is dangerous possibly likened to some degree of good natured recklessness.

I duly note the recklessness of the action. I think that the man sees Canada as the solution to losing the weight. As in when he gets tot he Canadian border he will have lost all the weight and life will be where he wants it. however, I feel that if his concentration is just sticking to the trail for as long as he can for the year that a lot of weight loss will occur. And that if thru hiking is a secondary priority that he could get in good enough shape to have a more realistic THRU hike next year. I think we could all probably agree that time spent on the trail is a safer weight loss option then time on the couch, however I would be weary of his lack of physical ability on a trail such as the PCT. Although as many would say more physically difficult, I would dare to say the AT would be better for weight loss FROM A LOGISTICAL STANDPOINT of water availability, and accessibility, and fellow hiker foot traffic- terrain would be a different story

Venchka
02-20-2019, 18:21
He’s going on eating binges every chance he gets. Then loads his pack with junk food for the trail.
You don’t get to weigh 400 pounds by accident. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if he had gained weight by the time of his latest night hike.
He’s programmed to eat.
Wayne

imscotty
02-20-2019, 18:31
I wish Second Chance the best, he is certainly a likable fellow. But unless he can pick up the pace in some of the long, dry stretches, I do not see this ending well.

1) At a pace of 3 miles/ day, it is not possible for him to carry the water he needs between resupplies.
2) He does not know how lucky he has been with that rain and the clouds. Frankly, I am a little bit jealous (I went through there last May in a baking sun). A couple of hot, dry, sunny days would change the situation for the worst.
3) He has not mentioned electrolytes. I would not be worried about going a few days without food, but an electrolyte imbalance could go south quick.
4) If he gets in trouble in an area without cell coverage, in February it may be a while before another hiker comes along.

Now that I have been a negative Nancy, on the bright side...
1) He's out there hiking.
2) Great attitude.
3) He is gaining a following, so hopefully some of these folks are local and can keep an eye out for him.
4) When he sticks to the trail, I bet he is losing some pounds. He needs to cut back on the in-town days.

Feral Bill
02-20-2019, 19:55
I'm trying to imagine hiking with a 200+ pound pack. I am failing to do so. I hope he has a positive experience, regardless of how many miles he makes.

JPritch
02-21-2019, 14:58
He’s going on eating binges every chance he gets. Then loads his pack with junk food for the trail.
You don’t get to weigh 400 pounds by accident. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if he had gained weight by the time of his latest night hike.
He’s programmed to eat.
Wayne
This is the main problem I see with LD hikers who lose weight on the trail. They actually reinforce terrible eating habits for 6 months on trail, worse than they were eating pre-trail. They are only losing weight because they are out-exercising their poor diets. When they return to life it's hard to undo those bad dietary habits, which is why it seems like nearly everyone eventually returns to their pre-trail weight.

RuthN
02-21-2019, 15:24
I'm trying to imagine hiking with a 200+ pound pack. I am failing to do so. I hope he has a positive experience, regardless of how many miles he makes.

I've had ups and downs with my weight over the last 20 years and I can attest to the misery of carrying a backpack while overweight. I found the physical discomfort got in the way of enjoying almost anything else I was on the trail to experience. The best moments were when laying in my tent at night listening to the coyotes, frogs, crickets, birds, rain, etc. The hiking felt like just a way to get from the comfort of my tent to the comfort of my car at the trailhead.

Slo-go'en
02-21-2019, 15:31
This is the main problem I see with LD hikers who lose weight on the trail. They actually reinforce terrible eating habits for 6 months on trail, worse than they were eating pre-trail. They are only losing weight because they are out-exercising their poor diets. When they return to life it's hard to undo those bad dietary habits, which is why it seems like nearly everyone eventually returns to their pre-trail weight.

When you end a LD hike and have lost a lot of weight your always hungry. Most thru hikers who get to Maine are little more then skin and bones. It's not so much a poor diet as it is you simply can't carry enough food. Then when you have unlimited access to food again, you eat a lot to make up for those months of deficiency. Then before you know it, you've gained 100 pounds.

The main problem I see with this big guy is if he does loose a lot of weight and looses it fairly quickly, he'll have a lot of loose skin which will have to be surgically removed. But apparently so far that doesn't seem like it will be an issue. It will be interesting to see how long he lasts.

perrymk
02-21-2019, 15:35
This is the main problem I see with LD hikers who lose weight on the trail. They actually reinforce terrible eating habits for 6 months on trail, worse than they were eating pre-trail. They are only losing weight because they are out-exercising their poor diets. When they return to life it's hard to undo those bad dietary habits,
This has long been a concern of mine for when I finally get to thru hike. I am what I like to call a recovering glutton. I more or less have had my eating under control since 2008 and have maintained a healthy body weight since then, but how much and what I eat is something I am conscious of every day.

JPritch
02-21-2019, 21:18
This has long been a concern of mine for when I finally get to thru hike. I am what I like to call a recovering glutton. I more or less have had my eating under control since 2008 and have maintained a healthy body weight since then, but how much and what I eat is something I am conscious of every day.

You can still eat healthy out there, you just have to make the effort. Practice on your shakeout hikes.

I swear that bad food is an addiction. I'd be on a roll at home, then go out for a week or the weekend, eat like crap, then continue after I got back home.

I've found it best to just avoid the stuff altogether.

chknfngrs
02-22-2019, 08:35
Hasn’t posted go YouTube in a bit, maybe hunkered down somewhere? Gotta make more miles right?

tdoczi
02-22-2019, 09:14
He’s programmed to eat.
Wayne
as someone who was once approaching 300lbs my mind truly boggles at the idea of being 400 (or more). its work to eat that much. it really is. the sheer effort almost seems harder to me than loosing weight.

the other thing i can never relate to about people like what this guy seems to be is that when you weigh 280lbs any sort of change in the right direction (ya know, like eating only 5 candy bars a day instead of 10) causes relatively rapid and noticeable weight less.

like i said, its an effort to gain and maintain all that weight.

havent watched the videos (and probably wont) but based on the comments from those who have it seems like hes spending more time eating than hiking.

chknfngrs
02-22-2019, 10:23
Ok, he is walking and talking in his most recent videos. His first video was of him laying down on the trail so maybe just a skowch of progress?

RuthN
02-22-2019, 16:08
Ok, he is walking and talking in his most recent videos. His first video was of him laying down on the trail so maybe just a skowch of progress?

A kind gentleman sought him out on the trail (presumably after seeing his videos) and helped him get rid of unnecessary gear and lighten his pack. I assume that would make walking easier than it was in the beginning. That's not to say it's impossible that he increased his endurance just by hiking.

Dogwood
02-22-2019, 17:07
He’s programmed to eat.
Wayne

You've hit on it Wayne. One correction though. More precisely we're programmed to eat junk food often en masse on hikes as if that's ok. What often follows is precisely what JPritch has observed.

Exactly, we're led to believe it is AOK to reinforce problematic eating and drinking habits within the context of 6 months on trail. When this is noted many become defensive of their eating and drinking habits eschewing nutritional understanding as junk food eating and binging on food has no consequences. Making matters more problematic is that we assume we can make up long term on trail caloric AND WIDER NUTRITIONAL deficits by engaging in short term - in town - huge buffet eating even if it's non junk food. Long term even being defined as week long deficits. I used to have these mistaken beliefs too because that was what being promoted most often. I bought into many of these fallacies. I've been able to put away many of these mistakes by making resupply and nutrition - beyond narrowed calories or cal/oz ratios - a significant aspect in planning a hike. The more I've practiced the easier it became. Now, I don't require as much time in providing for this aspect. It's similar to picking out my kit. I can get it done, getting spot on or 90% acceptable, without belaboring it. But sharing how it's done requires personally belaboring the awareness of details. Few will stay focused that long. BTW, not incidentally, we can increase our focus by avoiding certain foods or food additives, and mindless food consumption approaches.

A benefit I brought to hiking is having a good awareness of controlling eating and drinking habits. For me, it's still something I need to be highly aware and open to further understanding. It really is a skill to maintain body wt, a fitness baseline standard, appropriately energy levels and nutritional requirements not only on or off trail but in transitioning between those lifestyles. It's the same when off trail lifestyles change. We have to be aware of adapting as necessary. I've written it before and again I'm surprised more hikers don't have significant body wt fluctuations. It's similar to going on a diet in a temporary approach. When dieters don't change their eating and drinking habits for good when they go off their diets or their lifestyles radically change stats demonstrate many gain more wt than before they went on a diet.

Dogwood
02-22-2019, 17:25
What do we often do when we say we're on vacation? Does it not often involve food and drink indulgences? Although I agree with some of the reasons why one might say a hike is a vacation I never perceive a hike as being on a vacation. When I'm on vacation it tends to me being catered. I'm not doing a hike to utterly be catered, alienated inside a bubble. It's all about me, I, mine. I'm not forgoing or ignoring consequences to myself or others. There are impacts that need to be considered if we're to walk conscientiously and with contemplation. Engaging in food and drink is but one consequence.

This is one of the most often noted awareness of those that do a long hike or spend time outside of US societal norms or travel extensively abroad perhaps especially so when we it's experienced in a very thrifty manner. We become more aware - sobered up - from ignoring rampant consumption and Materialism. Whether you spend yrs living off grid in a makeshift teepee or 6 months living out of backpack walking daily this awareness can become evident. This carries over to food consumption and food needs being able to more acutely differentiate between needs verse wants.

imscotty
02-22-2019, 20:04
Second Chance had a six-mile day in his most recent video, so I think he is getting stronger. Once again he used up all his water before he got to the next water source, which is a very worrying trend. One missed water cache and he could be screwed. Looks like he is now around 5 miles from Mount Laguna, so he should be back in town in another day. Hope he lays off the junk food.

I wonder what his daily water requirements have been? Probably pretty substantial.

Venchka
02-22-2019, 21:52
Water: Requirements? Or poor management? Or bad habits?
Early on he said he was going through a liter in a mile or less. That sounds like a lack of exercising, etc.
The problem seems to be a complete lack of experience and preparation.
I wish him luck. Luck will only get him so far.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
02-22-2019, 22:21
He wont be first fat guy to either succeed or fail.

At least hes outside hiking .

Its about the journey......not the destination.

Venchka
02-26-2019, 00:59
The latest video is titled Laguna.
Wayne

Gambit McCrae
02-26-2019, 09:26
The latest video is titled Laguna.
Wayne

https://youtu.be/qNrORRubFzI

Feral Bill
02-26-2019, 12:03
Looks like he's safe and having a good time, which is all that matters.

beefsmack
02-26-2019, 15:46
Best of luck Second Chance. You seem to be enjoying yourself. Those of typing should be so fortunate. I'll be following along!

T.S.Kobzol
02-27-2019, 19:12
So far, he is experiencing nature and loving it. I wish I was there. I will keep on watching for a while...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollo117
02-27-2019, 19:17
Why does my start date have to be in May? I'd love to meet this guy.

Venchka
02-27-2019, 19:24
You shouldn’t have any trouble catching up to him.
If he’s still hiking.
Wayne

futureatwalker
02-28-2019, 17:21
I'm really rooting for this guy. Say what you will, but he's on trail and we're not...

tdoczi
02-28-2019, 17:22
I'm really rooting for this guy. Say what you will, but he's on trail and we're not...
i wouldn trade with him. i'll take 200lbs and have to go to work tomorrow over 400lbs and out hiking.

trailmercury
02-28-2019, 17:26
i wouldn trade with him. i'll take 200lbs and have to go to work tomorrow over 400lbs and out hiking.

^^^+1 (I do hope he completes the trail though)

Venchka
02-28-2019, 18:54
February, 2019: 52 miles.
One of y’all math whizzes want to project his progress before snow hits next Fall?
Keep in mind: He zeros for rain. We don’t know what he will do in snow. Idyllwild to Big Bear should be interesting for him.
All the best to him! 👍
Wayne

fastfoxengineering
02-28-2019, 19:20
Dudes put in more miles than most hikers this year.

DuneElliot
03-01-2019, 03:25
For him, rain means Zeros and collecting water. He can’t count on rain forever.
I’ve never seen anyone brag about their first “water crossing”. It looked like an ankle deep puddle maybe one pace wide.
I can’t criticize. He’s on a trail and I’m not.
A Trail name yet?
Wayne

A crossing like that is tough for a big guy, stepping over branches is tough for a big guys...the things we all take for granted and are easy for us are tough for a big guy.

While I think he needs to avoid junk food like the plague he's gotten up to doing 10 miles per day (last video)...that says something

Venchka
03-01-2019, 11:16
I’m going back under my rock.
Wayne

Dogwood
03-01-2019, 16:02
February, 2019: 52 miles.
One of y’all math whizzes want to project his progress before snow hits next Fall?
Wayne

Texas Instruments, maker of some fine calculators, is located in Dallas. Dont you east TX rowdies get a home state discount? :p

Venchka
03-01-2019, 19:18
Dude,
I was using a TI calculator before Gutenberg invented the printing press. 👍😄
Alas, I really don’t care. I’m reasonably positive that the mountains between Idyllwild and Big Bear will be impassible for Second Chance. Or should be if he actually pays attention to the conditions later this month.
The March starters will be passing him soon. They might also be hindered in the mountains.
I can’t find the permit calendar as usual. Didn’t March fill up? Theoretically, 50 hikers started today.
Meanwhile, the first 21 episodes of the 2018 CDT hike are up on YouTube. seekinglost.
Wayne

Time Zone
03-01-2019, 20:00
Texas Instruments, maker of some fine calculators, is located in Dallas. Dont you east TX rowdies get a home state discount? :p
Discount on TI calculators? Ha! As much as locked-in students do, probably.

:)

Venchka
03-02-2019, 02:21
#13 is up and running. Spirits high despite the weather.
I might have to re-evaluate.
Wayne

fastfoxengineering
03-02-2019, 02:43
#13 is up and running. Spirits high despite the weather.
I might have to re-evaluate.
WayneWhen the dude sleeps in a pit toilet. You know his hearts in it.

Venchka
03-02-2019, 11:36
When the dude sleeps in a pit toilet. You know his hearts in it.
Perhaps. That did look like the cleanest pit toilet ever.
I still have to wonder how his gear got wet? Is he learning how to correct these mistakes? I don’t know what tent he has. In an earlier video I noticed a lot of daylight at ground level around the perimeter of the tent. Something definitely didn’t look right. We need more videos of what’s happening when things go wrong.
Wayne

imscotty
03-02-2019, 12:36
I believe that toilet is at the Sunrise Trailhead near mile 59 which is an area popular with mountain bikers. It was a pretty luxurious toilet, I sat in its shadow at noon for about an hour because it was the only spot of shade around. Managed to Yogi two cold beers off the bikers there. Oh., memories.

Second Chance is definitely looking stronger. Venchka, I agree, something is not right with the tent. When he had his stuff laid out to dry all I saw was a cuban fiber tarp. I wonder if he is using the word tent when he is really just using a tarp?

Malto
03-02-2019, 12:50
I believe that toilet is at the Sunrise Trailhead near mile 59 which is an area popular with mountain bikers. It was a pretty luxurious toilet, I sat in its shadow at noon for about an hour because it was the only spot of shade around. Managed to Yogi two cold beers off the bikers there. Oh., memories.

Second Chance is definitely looking stronger. Venchka, I agree, something is not right with the tent. When he had his stuff laid out to dry all I saw was a cuban fiber tarp. I wonder if he is using the word tent when he is really just using a tarp?
He is definitely getting stronger. At 8 and 10 mile days he is starting to get in shape.

Furlough
03-02-2019, 12:54
In episode 13 he does say Zpacks Tent and when he pans to show the snow, there is bug netting around minutes 7:55 to 8:00. Part of the bag wetness could be due him causing his own condensation, and watching the video his bag seems to be in contact quite a bit with the cuben fiber and bug netting.

Feral Bill
03-02-2019, 13:10
He's getting stronger, learning, and maintaining a positive attitude. All's well.

fastfoxengineering
03-02-2019, 13:14
Perhaps. That did look like the cleanest pit toilet ever.
I still have to wonder how his gear got wet? Is he learning how to correct these mistakes? I don’t know what tent he has. In an earlier video I noticed a lot of daylight at ground level around the perimeter of the tent. Something definitely didn’t look right. We need more videos of what’s happening when things go wrong.
WayneIm pretty sure hes a Zpacks Duplex. And i think he sucks at pitching it. Im pretty sure he just is getting horrible condensation and is touching the walls. Dude that size in a duplex? Is probably steamy and tight in there.

Dogwood
03-02-2019, 15:05

Good chance you might catch up or meet him if he's still on the PCT?

Recalc
03-02-2019, 17:56
Second Chance's videos are a refreshing change from the norm. Find myself pulling for him.

randy.shopher
03-02-2019, 19:06
He doesn't seem to have enough outdoors savvy to make it. When he reapplied with junk food I thought he was sticking with eating habits that got him to 387. He had ramen and said he had no way of heating it up. Hot mug of chow on a cold wet night could be pretty good. Water, both too much and too little, is gonna be his downfall. But I am pulling for him.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

fastfoxengineering
03-02-2019, 19:34
He doesn't seem to have enough outdoors savvy to make it. When he reapplied with junk food I thought he was sticking with eating habits that got him to 387. He had ramen and said he had no way of heating it up. Hot mug of chow on a cold wet night could be pretty good. Water, both too much and too little, is gonna be his downfall. But I am pulling for him.

Sent from my VS995 using TapatalkHe's got the same experience as alot of PCT hikers nowadays. Many start the trail and its their first backpacking trip.

And you can cold soak ramen. Hot food isnt necessary for survival.

Venchka
03-02-2019, 21:39
You and I and most of the world know you can cold soak ramen and any other food.
He apparently doesn’t know.
My thought: He’s never been outside for this long. If ever.
Indoors. Junk food. Is how he got to 400 pounds.
He watched a few videos. He mentioned Darwin on the trail. Then decided that hiking the PCT would rid him of the excess weight.
That’s all folks.
10 mile and 8 mile days since leaving Mt. Laguna. Downhill.
Downhill to mile 75. Then a climb.
It’s interesting.
Wayne

imscotty
03-02-2019, 22:07
Second Chance is Learning.
He has friends.
He's not going to starve our there.
His water management skills are going to be a huge concern once things warm up.
What happens when he has to go up Mount San Jacinto and down Fuller Ridge is going to be interesting.
He has a willingness to retreat, which is a life-saving quality.
I hope that a more experienced hiker teams up with him for San Jacinto, I do not think he should be alone up there this time of year.
This story may end before Canada, but I would argue that for him his hike is already a great success.
Cheering him on.

Feral Bill
03-02-2019, 22:13
Second Chance is Learning.
He has friends.
He's not going to starve our there.
His water management skills are going to be a huge concern once things warm up.
What happens when he has to go up Mount San Jacinto and down Fuller Ridge is going to be interesting.
He has a willingness to retreat, which is a life-saving quality.
I hope that a more experienced hiker teams up with him for San Jacinto, I do not think he should be alone up there this time of year.
This story may end before Canada, but I would argue that for him his hike is already a great success.
Cheering him on.
Exactly. He has already exceeded any reasonable person's expectations. Good for him.

Venchka
03-02-2019, 22:50
Two thumbs up for Second Chance!
Another Hiker started about the same time as Second Chance. The recent snow at elevation got the best of him. He bailed temporarily.
Details on YouTube.
Wayne

Dogwood
03-03-2019, 02:07
ahh, there are some of us that need to get out ourselves. :datz

Traffic Jam
03-03-2019, 17:22
I love this hiker! He’s doin’ it all wrong and he’s doin’ it with a smile.

Malto
03-03-2019, 20:34
I love this hiker! He’s doin’ it all wrong and he’s doin’ it with a smile.

I agree. It’s just Crazy. :)

T.S.Kobzol
03-04-2019, 16:20
it feels genuine (so far) ... I sort of wish people would leave him to his own devices and not check on him or wait for him at trailheads

Venchka
03-04-2019, 17:38
it feels genuine (so far) ... I sort of wish people would leave him to his own devices and not check on him or wait for him at trailheads
That kind of adoptive, trail angel behavior seems to be common along these lone trails. Especially in the more inhospitable envious of the PCT & CDT.
Wayne

T.S.Kobzol
03-04-2019, 17:50
Yeah, I know, I know. :-)

That kind of adoptive, trail angel behavior seems to be common along these lone trails. Especially in the more inhospitable envious of the PCT & CDT.
Wayne

Venchka
03-04-2019, 17:59
Yeah, I know, I know. :-)

Sarcasm:
Start a Twitter Storm. "#LeaveSecondChanceAlone!" :banana

It's all good. He seems to be thriving on the attention he is getting from his videos.
My only comment: Point the camera at the scenery.
Wayne

SWODaddy
03-04-2019, 18:42
I'm rooting for him.

Remember that water is expelled as perspiration to cool the body. Guys that big make a lot of heat which means they use lots of water. If he can make it under 300lbs without injury, he has a good chance IMO. Very positive to see him getting double digit days.

Venchka
03-04-2019, 21:33
New episode up on YouTube.
No spoilers from me.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
03-04-2019, 22:25

You dont post vids of yourself on youtube unless you crave attention.

I don't watch that crap, but I watched a couple of minutes of this guy. So far he has a good attitude and that counts for a lot. Whatever he's doing, he's enjoying himself, so good for him.

Newt0556
03-05-2019, 01:13
Day 10. Mile 26.
Recommend:
Cheers!
Wayne

The latest video he is taking another zero day or 2. If it rains zero day, if it snows/sleets zero day, no water zero day, if it is windy zero day, what happens when it gets hot and stays hot? He no longer shows his food because he knows he is getting hammered online for it, but did show a couple diners. So he lost no weight in the last video either. Then he rejects help from the cop then complains about being cold and not knowing how to get off the mountain. Seems he likes manufacturing drama for himself or for social media attention. I dont think it is about money because no normal hiker could afford what he is doing. He is entertaining to watch but I fear this is leading to him getting badly hurt.

fastfoxengineering
03-05-2019, 01:26
The latest video he is taking another zero day or 2. If it rains zero day, if it snows/sleets zero day, no water zero day, if it is windy zero day, what happens when it gets hot and stays hot? He no longer shows his food because he knows he is getting hammered online for it, but did show a couple diners. So he lost no weight in the last video either. Then he rejects help from the cop then complains about being cold and not knowing how to get off the mountain. Seems he likes manufacturing drama for himself or for social media attention. I dont think it is about money because no normal hiker could afford what he is doing. He is entertaining to watch but I fear this is leading to him getting badly hurt.Plenty of hikers afford what hes doing.

And then run out of money 500 miles in.

Define "normal".

Maybe hes got 20k stacked for this journey. All the power to him. I doubt its about money or fame.

A few people caught onto his story and it exploded. If you look at his instagram.. he has thousands of followers already with a bleak instagram.

His youtube? Dixie brought him up. So thousands of her viewers subscribed to him.

I think he is genuine. Went out there and was like wth.. if im gonna do this weight loss journey then i might as well document it.

And within a week he had thousands of followers.

He needs to take zeros. Its not even PCT Nobo season yet. He reiterates he doesnt want to injure himself.

The weight loss will come. Its a good thing its not melting off of him. Some will be converted to muscle. He should try to eat well though and avoid soda. He should be eating lean meats and vegetables to keep from getting sick. And hyrdrating like a camel.

Gambit McCrae
03-05-2019, 09:22
Plenty of hikers afford what hes doing.

And then run out of money 500 miles in.

Define "normal".

Maybe hes got 20k stacked for this journey. All the power to him. I doubt its about money or fame.

A few people caught onto his story and it exploded. If you look at his instagram.. he has thousands of followers already with a bleak instagram.

His youtube? Dixie brought him up. So thousands of her viewers subscribed to him.

I think he is genuine. Went out there and was like wth.. if im gonna do this weight loss journey then i might as well document it.

And within a week he had thousands of followers.

He needs to take zeros. Its not even PCT Nobo season yet. He reiterates he doesnt want to injure himself.

The weight loss will come. Its a good thing its not melting off of him. Some will be converted to muscle. He should try to eat well though and avoid soda. He should be eating lean meats and vegetables to keep from getting sick. And hyrdrating like a camel.

Agreed - I think the weight will and probably already has started losing a good bit of weight. When you got 200 to lose the first lots of weight is hard to see the progress. I believe in him

Venchka
03-05-2019, 11:24
After his trip from Mt. Laguna to Julian and his time in Julian, my money is on weight ++ since Campo.
I hope I’m wrong.
Wayne

tdoczi
03-05-2019, 11:56
When you got 200 to lose the first lots of weight is hard to see the progress. I believe in him
i dont know about being 400 lbs and wanting to lose 200, but what i do know, which is probably relevant, is this-

when you're 280lbs getting down to 230-240 is quick and very noticeable immediately. getting from 230 down to 190, not so much. i went from 280 to about 185 in 11 months. the first 3 months were 280-220, 220 to 185 was the subsequent 8 months.

based on my experience if hes walking 10 miles a day and staying at a constant weight its because he is eating the same he always did. if he was eating less and exercising that much a day weight would fall off fast, thered be no need to give it time.

Coffee
03-05-2019, 12:10
I think his big issue is going to be water given his pace. He will be in Southern California for a long time, probably into May at his pace. I don't see how he can possibly do the longer water carries without assistance. However, his following on YouTube might cause enough attention so that people want to help him out by caching water for him.

I think he's genuine as well and hope he gets what he's looking for from the PCT.

Gambit McCrae
03-05-2019, 12:53
https://youtu.be/er6zVQUs6VM

imscotty
03-05-2019, 14:11
He is losing weight people. Compare his 'before' and 'after' photos from his FB page.

randy.shopher
03-05-2019, 15:59
Good for him. Also, he might not make it to Canada because that isn't his goal.

Newt0556
03-05-2019, 19:44
Seems he would change his eating habits if he wants to loss weight. I dont think any good is going to come of this. I think attention is what he truely wants and it may get him hurt or worse. All those utube followers are like people yelling jump to a suicide jumper. Whats sad is most of those utubers wouldnt give this guy the time of day in real life.

randy.shopher
03-05-2019, 21:19
I hope you underestimate the hiking family. However, I fear he is in for failure.

Gambit McCrae
03-05-2019, 21:20
Seems he would change his eating habits if he wants to loss weight. I dont think any good is going to come of this. I think attention is what he truely wants and it may get him hurt or worse. All those utube followers are like people yelling jump to a suicide jumper. Whats sad is most of those utubers wouldnt give this guy the time of day in real life.
An old timer once told me...its just walkin. Right?

Venchka
03-05-2019, 21:45
Second Chance passed Eagle Rock today on his way to Warner Springs. No details.
Wayne

FreeGoldRush
03-05-2019, 22:10
A need to do what is hard is in our DNA. He's living instead of on the couch watching Netflix. I'm cheering him on. He's probably never done anything this hard before.

bighammer
03-05-2019, 22:18
Second Chance passed Eagle Rock today on his way to Warner Springs. No details.
Wayne

If he's just past Eagle Rock and day 20 was in Julian, he's gone about 150 miles in about 15 days. Hope he reaches whatever goals he has set for himself. I admire a person that doesn't just say "I wish" or "I can't" but actually goes out and tries.

Venchka
03-05-2019, 22:55
If he's just past Eagle Rock and day 20 was in Julian, he's gone about 150 miles in about 15 days. Hope he reaches whatever goals he has set for himself. I admire a person that doesn't just say "I wish" or "I can't" but actually goes out and tries.
He is in Warner Springs. Isn’t that Mile 108 ish?
Throw in a few hitches. There’s little documentation of actual miles hiked.
He’s outdoors. He’s having fun. Thru hiking? Maybe. Maybe not. “It just doesn’t matter!”
Wayne

bighammer
03-06-2019, 01:08
I went thru Julian on my motorcycle last year, but hadn't heard of Eagle Rock. Google Maps gave me distance to the town of Eagle Rock CA, not the Eagle Rock on the trail.

Venchka
03-06-2019, 01:38
I went thru Julian on my motorcycle last year, but hadn't heard of Eagle Rock. Google Maps gave me distance to the town of Eagle Rock CA, not the Eagle Rock on the trail.
Cory posted a selfie on Instagram with Eagle Rock looming over him.
He was there.
Wayne

Newt0556
03-06-2019, 02:12
I have a found a google earth overlay with actually mileage(every mile) marked on it for the PCT. Go to the PCT assoc. Website look at maps it is the second overlay for goggle earth. Now looking at utube vids and Instagram this is what we worked out at hooters tonight over beer. so I maybe off a little someone can fact check.

He got off it looks like at mile 58 for julian instead of mile 77. He got off feb 19 got back on feb 21 Instagram post sunrise hwy blocked that confirms he got off around mile 58. SO the first half he did 58 miles in 20 days counting the zero day. That comes to 2.9 miles per day. But that is total days we dont know exactly how many 0 days he took. The second half from feb 21 mile 58 to today via his last Instagram post warner springs mile 109 that is 51 miles in 13 days. Making it 3.9 miles a day. Again we dont know how many 0 days he is taking. Its alot though.

Next thing utube is posting vids with a delay. On Instagram it looks like he is handling that and it seems to be up to date real time.
Just look at all his Instagram posts and the dates it looks right with the mileage.

But looking ahead on the over lay it looks like there is less water in the up coming sections. The dr that was with us tonight said a 400 pound would drop alot of water weight fast and I suspect that is what has happen. As far as real weight i just dont think he is moving fast enough and eating properly to loss much. Loss of that water weight doesnt bold well for him in the upcoming sections. I suspect he has no idea how to properly hydrate for desert conditions. If it is getting warmer he maybe in for some real trouble soon.

Jayne
03-06-2019, 12:24
As someone who has hiked at 340lbs I assure you that being a plus sized hiker who is out of shape is vastly more difficult than most people can imagine. He is burning far more calories than you think just by virtue of his size and lack of efficiency due to his level of fitness. It looks to me like he's got a good attitude and is being careful about not hurting himself and I wish him nothing but the best!

My real concern is water for him. He says he's drinking about 2L per mile (at my own larger size I was going through about 1L per mile but I had a higher level of fitness than he did at the start of his hike.) I saw him twice relying on rain water to replenish his supply and that just really scares me. What on earth would he have done if it didn't rain? I doubt that he could hike 3-4 miles without water. I hope he is smart and bypasses long stretches of trail that would require big water carries for normal hikers.

Miner
03-06-2019, 12:36

Eagle Rock is a few trail miles south of Warner Springs, not Julian. No sign on the road for it that I know of; at least there didn't use to be.

randy.shopher
03-06-2019, 13:10
I think his goal is to lose 200 pounds not complete a thru hike. Is so he would be better off to skip the long dry stretches. But that is just the opinion of an old man with heart problems that couldn't walk 100 yards without resting at least once along the way.

Tipi Walter
03-06-2019, 13:36
https://youtu.be/er6zVQUs6VM

I knew when I read the vid title that he'd be bailing into a town due to what to me looked like perfect weather conditions---blowing snow and cold wind and maybe even more snow if he's lucky. Perfect place to squat and set up camp and pull a Hunker Station to enjoy Miss Nature's best. Oops, next thing I see are cars and roads and a town. Sob.

He is in Warner Springs. Isn’t that Mile 108 ish?
Throw in a few hitches. There’s little documentation of actual miles hiked.
He’s outdoors. He’s having fun. Thru hiking? Maybe. Maybe not. “It just doesn’t matter!”
Wayne

I wish people really believed this!! Meaning---I wish people could forego the "thuhiker mentality" and be proponents of It Just Doesn't Matter. He's outdoors . . . he's having fun. End of story.

And when I first heard of him pulling 7 miles in the first 5 days at the beginning I was totally in synch and supportive. Tain't nothing wrong with that. I applaud him. Maybe he's going for the Slowest Known Time record---and so he's a Hero in my book.

Coffee
03-06-2019, 13:39
My real concern is water for him.
Same here. I had a nearly 30 mile water carry ending at Walker Pass which involved carrying six liters and dry camping. There's no way he can do that kind of stretch unsupported at his pace. I hope he doesn't get himself into trouble but he's hiking into peak thru hiker season and there will be many people on the trail.

Lnj
03-06-2019, 13:52
Coming from a lady here that was 60 pounds heavier just about 10 months ago, I know how hard it is to "just walk" when you are so heavy, without consideration for the mountain ups and downs and rocky landscape and what all have you. This is hard on him. I am proud of him. I am sure it was scar just setting out to actually do it. He's gone a long way in bad conditions and he's still going. That's awesome!! Slow is truly his only option at this point and certainly the safest for him. I hope he keeps plodding along nice and slow. I do hope he gets a little education on the water situation as well though. I'd hate to see him mess this up by hurting himself. If he can keep it up, this could be a life changer for him. He certainly seems to be enjoying himself, which is more than I can say for a whole lot of other hikers in much better shape and way more experienced and educated (trail-wise I mean) than he is. Big man with a bigger heart can do amazing things. Just watch.

MuddyWaters
03-06-2019, 13:52
Yall act like every big fat person is retarded too. Worrying about him doing something stupid .

He keeps showing .....hes not.

Hes staying safe, having fun. Good for him.
Yeah, it might end soon, so what.

Berserker
03-06-2019, 14:20
I've been following this thread and watched a few of the videos. I'm pulling for this guy. Whatever he ends up doing as far as a hike goes I really hope that his weight loss journey ends successfully.

fastfoxengineering
03-06-2019, 15:25
Yall act like every big fat person is retarded too. Worrying about him doing something stupid .

He keeps showing .....hes not.

Hes staying safe, having fun. Good for him.
Yeah, it might end soon, so what.This.

Nowadays... How many PCT nobos would be smart enough to collect water with their rain coat? Take refuge in a pit toilet? And bail out when necessary? Not many.

And at this point. Hes put in more miles on the PCT than most on this board.

Miner
03-06-2019, 16:00
Is so he would be better off to skip the long dry stretches.

The problem is, the long dry stretches are the main portion of the trail not covered in snow. The storms keep coming and dumping more snow, even in the mountains of SoCal.

TexasBob
03-06-2019, 20:08
His hike is the epitome of "hike your own hike". Most thru hiker videos are just plain boring but he has a sense of humor and like the Engerzier bunny just keeps going. It is the adventure of a life time for him. I wish him well and how ever far he gets and how ever long it takes him it really doesn't matter because he is having a great time. The enjoyment of journey is what matters not how many miles you do in a day or far how you travel.

Gambit McCrae
03-07-2019, 09:31
https://youtu.be/TAmiOOCcHuc

"Eating advocates tomatoes and meat in town"

"Im having the time of my life"

"I am proud of myself"

"If it was easy, 400 pounders would be out here!"

KnightErrant
03-07-2019, 22:53
^ Just watched that one and the Part 2 posted today, the first time I've actually taken the time to watch them. They're a bit slow-paced, but he's delightful! He had an unexpected 3 mile road walk to get back to the trail and he took his first fall, and took both hiccups in stride. As he's taking in the sunset at his campsite at the end of Part 2, you can feel how much he's relishing the experience. As the one year anniversary of my thru-hike start date approaches, I'm feeling some serious trail nostalgia, and that bit nearly made me cry. He hiked over 10 miles in a day, so it sounds like he's starting to adapt.

imscotty
03-07-2019, 23:20
My goodness, just watched the part about the 'fall.' A few inches of snow and he called that postholing! He really is a 'tenderfoot'. I think his innoscence is genuine. Watching these videos and hearing his contagious nervous laughter is like being able to see the world again through the eyes of a child. I do not mean that in a negative way, but in a joyous way. It is pretty great, but he also brings out my protective concerns. I wish him the best, hope there are some hikers out there keeping an eye on him.

DuneElliot
03-08-2019, 03:20
My goodness, just watched the part about the 'fall.' A few inches of snow and he called that postholing! He really is a 'tenderfoot'. I think his innoscence is genuine. Watching these videos and hearing his contagious nervous laughter is like being able to see the world again through the eyes of a child. I do not mean that in a negative way, but in a joyous way. It is pretty great, but he also brings out my protective concerns. I wish him the best, hope there are some hikers out there keeping an eye on him.

The hole he fell into wasn't really postholing...the snow covered a hole which he called postholing, and it was a hidden hole covered by snow that he fell into which was quite deep for anyone randomly step into...my dad broke an ankle in a similar incident.

Newt0556
03-08-2019, 03:26
Well it isnt all peaches and cream in the real world. I was in REI today and there was a small group actually talking about this. In fairness the group was the young, chest beating type. I asked a rei rep. about it after the group left seems this isnt getting very positive feed back. He said the PCT is now being called the "weight watchers trail". This is slowly turning into a real ***** show. Someone up in the comments said they hoped that hikers are watching him. I agree he needs to be watched for his own safety but not helped at all. The quicker he is off this the better for everyone especially the PCTA. I bet the PCTA donations shrink over this social media stunt. I wonder if the PCTA even knows this is going on.

Another thing I would take his mile's claim with a grain of salt. He says one thing but the map, laying down on the trail comments and his zero days tell another story. I suspect these long mile days is more about him getting to a zero day. I sure hope he doesnt get hurt. But the longer this drags out the more likely he does.

fastfoxengineering
03-08-2019, 03:35
Well it isnt all peaches and cream in the real world. I was in REI today and there was a small group actually talking about this. In fairness the group was the young, chest beating type. I asked a rei rep. about it after the group left seems this isnt getting very positive feed back. He said the PCT is now being called the "weight watchers trail". This is slowly turning into a real ***** show. Someone up in the comments said they hoped that hikers are watching him. I agree he needs to be watched for his own safety but not helped at all. The quicker he is off this the better for everyone especially the PCTA. I bet the PCTA donations shrink over this social media stunt. I wonder if the PCTA even knows this is going on.

Another thing I would take his mile's claim with a grain of salt. He says one thing but the map, laying down on the trail comments and his zero days tell another story. I suspect these long mile days is more about him getting to a zero day. I sure hope he doesnt get hurt. But the longer this drags out the more likely he does.This isn't the first person to do this.

He's never asked for anyone to watch over him. He's a grown adult. The only life he's putting in jeopardy is his own.

Is the PCTA suppose to kick him off the trail?

He's done nothing stupid. Or made anything a stunt. He's made pretty sound decisons so far.

In a month or two their will be a few people rescued from the desert. Cause they have no idea.

Once again.. social media stunt? He really didn't promote his channel or even seemed like the social media type when he started.

He doesn't even announce anything till he was on the trail...the INTERNET made him famous.

Noone needs to watch out for him or look after him.

What about Pappy on the AT last year? 87 years old.... Several hikers including myself found him severely dehydrated. All we talked about is how Pappy didnt care if he died out there.

I don't understand your frustration. What has this man done wrong?

fastfoxengineering
03-08-2019, 03:40
Who cares what a bunch of kids in an REI say? Calling it the weight watchers trail and now everything is out ofnl control? Thats ridiculous.

Any real hiker would motivate this guy to keep going. He wants it.

Every successful thru hiker has pushed past limits they shouldnt have.

Otherwise.. you wont finish.

People on the AT and PCT do way stupier stunts every year... ever hear of the 24/24/24 challenge? Maybe the PCTA should do something about that...

MuddyWaters
03-08-2019, 05:43
Makin videos is a bigger priority than walking it seems

Gambit McCrae
03-08-2019, 09:28
Makin videos is a bigger priority than walking it seems

I don't know that I could spend 25 days by myself on the trail, possibly making videos and the internet is a way to keep him occupied. He is obviously new to hiking and hasn't trained his brain to be patient during an all day walk.

Post#113 is just flat out ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that #113 was a waste of my time to read.

T.S.Kobzol
03-08-2019, 09:40
I'll watch this guy's stunt thousand times over the family that hiked the AT last year.

This guy's seems to genuinely giggle over things we take for granted...like watching a baby take first steps...

Gambit McCrae
03-08-2019, 10:12
I'll watch this guy's stunt thousand times over the family that hiked the AT last year.

This guy's seems to genuinely giggle over things we take for granted...like watching a baby take first steps...

it is refreshing.

Storyguy
03-08-2019, 10:55
He is out there enjoying life and hiking his own hike. Good for him and I wish him every success.

RuthN
03-08-2019, 11:23
Who cares what a bunch of kids in an REI say? Calling it the weight watchers trail and now everything is out ofnl control? Thats ridiculous.

Any real hiker would motivate this guy to keep going. He wants it.

Every successful thru hiker has pushed past limits they shouldnt have.

Otherwise.. you wont finish.

People on the AT and PCT do way stupier stunts every year... ever hear of the 24/24/24 challenge? Maybe the PCTA should do something about that...

What is the 24/24/24 challenge?

TexasBob
03-08-2019, 11:27
........ I agree he needs to be watched for his own safety but not helped at all. The quicker he is off this the better for everyone especially the PCTA. ..........

Cut the guy some slack. The trail is there for everyone who wants to give it try. He is obese but not stupid. He knows his limits.

chknfngrs
03-08-2019, 11:36
Pretty sure it’s 24 beers, in 24 hours, while hiking 24 miles

CalebJ
03-08-2019, 11:41

Another thing I would take his mile's claim with a grain of salt. He says one thing but the map, laying down on the trail comments and his zero days tell another story. I suspect these long mile days is more about him getting to a zero day. I sure hope he doesnt get hurt. But the longer this drags out the more likely he does.

This took an express trip to the top 5 strangest and most ridiculous posts I've ever read here.

RuthN
03-08-2019, 12:03
Grandma Gatewood thru-hiked the AT without shelter, stove, water filter, sleeping bag, map, or many other pieces of gear we - and those kids at REI - wouldn't dream of going on a long hike without. On her first attempt she went SOBO, got lost and stood a good chance of dying if rangers hadn't found her. But today she is lauded as a hero and an inspiration. Which she is - but she also hiked in a way many of us would consider reckless.

My only concern with questionably prepared, youtube-famous hikers like Second Chance is that their popularity and visibility may encourage others to think they don't need to know some basics before impulsively setting off on a solo hike. I similarly worry about the youtube icons who say they never camped overnight in their lives until their first night on the trail. But that's just me being a worry wart. I'm not in charge of the trail or the people hiking it.

randy.shopher
03-08-2019, 12:13
With YouTube and the likes of Dixie, Darwin,Bigfoot et al hikers should be knowledgeable before they set out. There is a bounty of information out there.

DuneElliot
03-08-2019, 13:49
With YouTube and the likes of Dixie, Darwin,Bigfoot et al hikers should be knowledgeable before they set out. There is a bounty of information out there.

And he's a big fan of Darwin so it's not like he's gone in blind. I'm pretty sure he did enough research and watched enough videos to get a pretty realistic idea of what to do and expect. Starting January 31st was him already being prepared and planning for the future. The guy has put his foot where his mouth is and is actually doing it rather than being an internet hiker and wishing he could "do what that other guy is doing". I think he's being very safe and always prepared to retreat and backtrack if he needs to...probably more than any of us would and then we'd be putting ourselves more at risk than he is doing.

Time Zone
03-08-2019, 15:06
The guy has put his foot where his mouth is and is actually doing it rather than being an internet hiker and wishing he could "do what that other guy is doing". I think he's being very safe and always prepared to retreat and backtrack if he needs to...probably more than any of us would and then we'd be putting ourselves more at risk than he is doing.
LOL ... when I've done that, it's never been followed with praise for doing a good thing! :D

Venchka
03-08-2019, 17:09
The videos are put together by an off trail editor. Similar to the way Dixie works during her hikes.
At least he has a thru hike quality backpack and tent. And I think I saw a JetBoil in an earlier video.
I’m just gobsmacked by his unfamiliarity with the outdoors and being by himself.
Meanwhile, The Metalbackpacker, Trail name Famous, has posted videos through Idaho of his 2018 thru hike. For a different experience.
Wayne

DuneElliot
03-09-2019, 04:13
LOL ... when I've done that, it's never been followed with praise for doing a good thing! :D

Ha ha...I couldn't think of the correct phrase we usually use....but I guess it's "money where his mouth is"

kestral
03-09-2019, 14:44
I enjoy second chance videos and wish him the best. Agreed very concerned about his ability to carry enough water for hydration. I think he is bright and in tune enough to do a flip flop of some type if terrain and weather / water conditions are too hostile. He appears to have very good gear and an exceptionally good attitude. He doesn’t have to do an end to end thru hike to have a successful journey. In fact, he’s already a success in my book. Would I do it differently? Of course! As would each of you. But...

HE’S OUT THERE!

One Half
03-11-2019, 00:46
he hasn't posted in 3 days. I binge watched all his videos so I don't really know how frequently he posts.

bighammer
03-11-2019, 06:51
I have to say, his videos are more fun to watch than many others. I have a lot of respect for him just in the fact that he's out there hiking and I'm still at home plowing snow and reading WhiteBlaze.

madgoat
03-11-2019, 07:55
Some of you seem to have read pmag's classic article on the subject, and thought he was being serious....

https://pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi

One Half
03-11-2019, 12:48
I have to say, his videos are more fun to watch than many others. I have a lot of respect for him just in the fact that he's out there hiking and I'm still at home plowing snow and reading WhiteBlaze.
he seems to really appreciate the solitude and the beauty he is experiencing. I wish him well. But having been around people with "weight issues" all of my professional career, his weight problems will not end if/when he loses the weight on the trail. His issues will likely reignite even more after he stops hiking. But who knows, maybe while hiking he will redirect his life to create lifelong healthy habits including better, healthy food choices.

Venchka
03-11-2019, 18:14
he hasn't posted in 3 days. I binge watched all his videos so I don't really know how frequently he posts.

6 days ago he posted a still photo on Instagram from Warner Springs. The last video had him camped south of Warner Springs, in other words, before he arrived in Warner Springs.
It's difficult to follow his timeline.
I was just watching live video from an eagle's nest at Big Bear Lake, California. Frozen precipitation and violent winds. I guess that weather is headed toward the desert.
Wayne

Venchka
03-11-2019, 18:35
He just posted a video from Idyllwild on YouTube.
Wayne

Venchka
03-11-2019, 18:44
YouTube interview RE: Snow conditions above Idyllwild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMhFfPPxReM

Wayne

RuthN
03-11-2019, 19:55

Wayne

A really interesting journalist-y twist. And it indirectly addresses the criticism that he is unprepared and lacks knowledge. Savvy.

One Half
03-11-2019, 20:59

Wayne
Thank you Wayne.

Venchka
03-11-2019, 21:06
Y’all are welcome!
A fortunate accident. I just happened to be at the computer when the notification came through.
Wayne

imscotty
03-11-2019, 22:38
Yes, a very informative video.

I suspect that he has hiked to HWY 74 near the Paradise Cafe and hitched into Idyllwild. Waiting for conditions to improve before tackling that ridge? The fire detour forced hikers down off the ridge by Spitler Peak last year, but now all the sections of the trail has been opened back up to hike through. It will be interesting to see how he approaches it.

He has made a great connection there with the guy who writes the San Jacinto report, I would say no worries for second chance here, he will be well advised. He may be in Idyllwild for sometime waiting for some snow melt, hope he stays in shape in the meantime.

lonehiker
03-12-2019, 10:38

Why? Too many on here want to be spoon-fed their hike. Nothing wrong with learning on the fly. As has been mentioned a couple of times, he has shown himself to be quite resourceful.

lonehiker
03-12-2019, 10:42
Ha ha...I couldn't think of the correct phrase we usually use....but I guess it's "money where his mouth is"

Well, being a Brit...

stephanD
03-12-2019, 11:12
Why is his trail name "Second chance"? Did he try thru hike and failed? I thought it is his first attempt.

imscotty
03-12-2019, 11:46
Why is his trail name "Second chance"? Did he try thru hike and failed? I thought it is his first attempt.
I think it is a reference to his morbid obesity and having a second chance at life.

stephanD
03-12-2019, 16:19
I think it is a reference to his morbid obesity and having a second chance at life.
Makes sense. I hope he does not gain the weight back. This is going to be the hard part once he's back home.

T.S.Kobzol
03-12-2019, 16:50
Let him first lose the weight...

Venchka
03-12-2019, 17:38
Let him first lose the weight...

Correct.
I’m on my own Quest. It’s not easy.
Wayne

futureatwalker
03-12-2019, 18:32
Wonder what Second Chance is going to do next...

Jon (the interviewee) seemed to basically say the trail was impassable at present without winter mountaineering gear and experience - and he looked like he knew what he was talking about.

Is it possible to skip ahead of the San Jacintos, and then double back for them later? (Excuse my ignorance, I live 4,000 miles away..)

imscotty
03-12-2019, 20:00
He could certainly skip this for now and come back and fill in. Or he could wait, a week or two could make a big difference. I don't think he has said what type of hike he hopes to have.

Colter
03-12-2019, 22:27
I thu-hiked the PCT in a big snow year. I went over Fuller Ridge on May 6. There was still so much snow the PCTA was recommending that people hitch around Fuller.

imscotty
03-16-2019, 10:47
There is a new video... from Scissors Crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo8gFNh8yVA

Furlough
03-16-2019, 13:31
Good to see he is still in good spirits and enjoying being out on the trail.

ADK Walker
03-16-2019, 16:44

His last name is Chance.

Venchka
03-16-2019, 19:05
There is a new video... from Scissors Crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo8gFNh8yVA

The videos are totally disjointed.The latest video has him starting out from Julian after a snow storm. The previous video had him at a highway crossing over an intermittent small river he called Scissors Crossing. The video before that he was in Idyllwild interviewing a local mountaineer about the conditions on the mountain above Idyllwild. Bizarre!
Oh. He is 33.
Wayne

One Half
03-16-2019, 19:18
The videos are totally disjointed.The latest video has him starting out from Julian after a snow storm. The previous video had him at a highway crossing over an intermittent small river he called Scissors Crossing. The video before that he was in Idyllwild interviewing a local mountaineer about the conditions on the mountain above Idyllwild. Bizarre!
Oh. He is 33.
Wayne

Regardless of all that, it's nice to see someone take childlike joy in things like encountering "new to them" cacti.

imscotty
03-16-2019, 22:27
Oh. He is 33.
Wayne
I think the answer is that he is now some distance and probably many days ahead of the point the videos we are seeing. The Idyllwild interview was not one of the numbered hiking videos, and seems to have been taken out of order. The hill he climbed in the current video is the hill after Scissors Crossing, so his travel seems to be continuous. It makes sense for him to take a break in Julian from Scissors Crossing

OzzieChick
03-16-2019, 22:32
Oh. He is 33.
Wayne
I believe he threw in the Idyllwild video early (ans out of sync) as the interview included information he thought was important to other hikers - it was more an information vlog, rather than a trail vlog.
He took refuge in Julian at the end of the previous vlog.

Venchka
03-16-2019, 22:51
It still doesn’t explain the apparent departure from Julian on the closed snow covered road up to the PCT and a return to a snow covered Julian when he stayed at a different accommodations. Complete with a fireplace and afternoon tea.
And no video evidence of his visit to Warner Springs.
I know I’m old, but I still have a few of my marbles.
Wayne

Venchka
03-16-2019, 23:12
I suppose that the video editing might have something to do with the confusion.
Sooner or later SC will reappear in Idyllwild. Or Palm Springs.
👍😄
Wayne

imscotty
03-17-2019, 00:13
It still doesn’t explain the apparent departure from Julian on the closed snow covered road up to the PCT and a return to a snow covered Julian when he stayed at a different accommodations. Complete with a fireplace and afternoon tea.
And no video evidence of his visit to Warner Springs.
I know I’m old, but I still have a few of my marbles.
Wayne
I believe his first visit to Julian was from the Sunrise Highway. The second trip to Julian was from Scissors Crossing.
Warner Springs still lies ahead on his videos, but I believe he actually reached there over a week ago based on a picture I saw on FB of hm standing in front of eagle rock. This is all time delayed.

Kookork
03-18-2019, 01:31
I am not worried about him until the warm weather hits the Southern California. When the heat hits the SoCal his hike is over.
I am not sure he is in enough good shape to climb a peak like San Jacinto regardless of the snow level. It is around 9000 feet high on PCT and he is from Florida and overweight and inexperienced.
the notion that he has a great spirit and almost child like reaction does not make any difference when the reality of the harsh trail shows its face,does it? 100 degrees Fahrenheit is 100 degrees regardless of the amount of joy a hiker may get from the trail.
I am enjoying following him like anybody else but I am also concerned about him for now and worried when the warm weather begins.

sketcher709
03-18-2019, 08:23
It's sad that people can not be more positive. This guy seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, he knows he's overweight and out of shape. He has a great attitude. He's willing to take advice and get off the trail when he needs to do it to be safe. If he stayed on the trail when it is cold or rainy then people would say he is behaving dangerously because he is inexperienced, if he gets off the trail then some deride him because he gets off the trail when the conditions get a little tough. His condition and stamina are improving. He does not carry the negativity and cynicism that some of you display here. He will learn how to deal with weather if he does not get injured and he is doing it just the right way, in little bits. The last time I saw it mentioned, he had lost 35 pounds and that was relatively quickly. Yep, he loaded up on junk food. He might figure that out as he goes but show me that 9 out of 10 hikers don't eat crap and show me where the resupply points are with the healthy hiker food in abundance- light calories are often contained in that crap so people justify it that way. Don't even get me going on the insinuation that because some can't figure out his video timelines that he is not doing the trail as he says he is. Disgusting. There certainly people out there doing the vlogging for attention, creating drama and yellow blazing and lying about it but there is not one scrap of suggesting that this is what this fellow is all about. I love these videos because this guy is not guarded, he seems impervious to the people who judge him for everything and set him up for failure right off the bat ,as can be seen right here in this thread. Why not look for the positive instead of the negative? This guy has already done more than many.

randy.shopher
03-18-2019, 09:39
I don't think his goal is to be a thru hiker. He first said his goal is to lose 200 pounds.

greensleep
03-18-2019, 09:52
It's sad that people can not be more positive. This guy seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, he knows he's overweight and out of shape. He has a great attitude. He's willing to take advice and get off the trail when he needs to do it to be safe. If he stayed on the trail when it is cold or rainy then people would say he is behaving dangerously because he is inexperienced, if he gets off the trail then some deride him because he gets off the trail when the conditions get a little tough. His condition and stamina are improving. He does not carry the negativity and cynicism that some of you display here. He will learn how to deal with weather if he does not get injured and he is doing it just the right way, in little bits. The last time I saw it mentioned, he had lost 35 pounds and that was relatively quickly. Yep, he loaded up on junk food. He might figure that out as he goes but show me that 9 out of 10 hikers don't eat crap and show me where the resupply points are with the healthy hiker food in abundance- light calories are often contained in that crap so people justify it that way. Don't even get me going on the insinuation that because some can't figure out his video timelines that he is not doing the trail as he says he is. Disgusting. There certainly people out there doing the vlogging for attention, creating drama and yellow blazing and lying about it but there is not one scrap of suggesting that this is what this fellow is all about. I love these videos because this guy is not guarded, he seems impervious to the people who judge him for everything and set him up for failure right off the bat ,as can be seen right here in this thread. Why not look for the positive instead of the negative? This guy has already done more than many.

Two thumbs up on the quoted post!

TexasBob
03-18-2019, 10:55
........... His condition and stamina are improving. ........... The last time I saw it mentioned, he had lost 35 pounds and that was relatively quickly. ...........

You can tell from his videos that he is getting in better shape as he goes along. At first he couldn't walk and talk at the same time or he was out of breath but now he can do both. I believe it took him 3 days to go 7.5 miles at the beginning and in the last video he covered 11 miles in one day. I bet he feels better than he has in a long time both physically and about himself as a person and he is enjoying the heck out of doing it. He is accomplishing a goal he set for himself and that may go a long way toward giving him the confidence that he can control his weight when he is off the trail. I wish him well.

T.S.Kobzol
03-18-2019, 12:00
One does not have to hike a mountain in one take. He can hike until he feels he's done and then try to find a place to pitch his tent or cowboy camp if the weather forecast is good.

I am not worried about him until the warm weather hits the Southern California. When the heat hits the SoCal his hike is over.
I am not sure he is in enough good shape to climb a peak like San Jacinto regardless of the snow level. It is around 9000 feet high on PCT and he is from Florida and overweight and inexperienced.
the notion that he has a great spirit and almost child like reaction does not make any difference when the reality of the harsh trail shows its face,does it? 100 degrees Fahrenheit is 100 degrees regardless of the amount of joy a hiker may get from the trail.
I am enjoying following him like anybody else but I am also concerned about him for now and worried when the warm weather begins.

TwigBoy
03-18-2019, 12:36
I initially was concerned for him but then I saw he had some pretty darn good gear, from what I learned watching Dixie & Darwin’s, among others, vids & he seems to be put safety paramount my only concern was him getting enough water but seeing he is in the desert in winter there seems to be more water than there is it other times of the year. There was actually a Good sized, running stream on one of his videos. His videos are easy to watch because they all seem to be under 10 minutes So I’m up-to-date and watch them as they are released

DuneElliot
03-18-2019, 13:59

You, sir, are the man. Great comment

Feral Bill
03-18-2019, 15:20
Absolutely! '

Slumgum
03-18-2019, 17:32
It's sad that people can not be more positive.

Amen to that.

Obesity is rampant in the US and spreading to other parts of the world. This guy is taking a novel approach to getting a handle on the problem. He scored points in my book early on when he was out of water and happened to encounter a couple of day hikers. He did not ask for water. He "owns" his journey and learns from his mistakes. This won't be the final answer, but a move in the right direction. More power to him.

Venchka
03-18-2019, 20:01
Episode 19 is on YouTube.
The movie mentioned in the video:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremors_(film)
Wayne

madgoat
03-19-2019, 08:58
Ahhh, just checking in to see what condescending judgements have been handed down from the HMHDI (https://pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi) crowd this week.

C4web88
03-19-2019, 11:40
Ahhh, just checking in to see what condescending judgements have been handed down from the HMHDI (https://pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi) crowd this week.

Damn, that was a quality post by mr. mags, never seen it before, thanks for sharing, gave me my smiles for the day.

LittleRock
03-19-2019, 15:25
The way I see it, he's out on the trail, I'm here in my cubicle. Who am I to judge?

I sincerely hope he makes it to Canada.

Dogwood
03-20-2019, 00:55
I don't think his goal is to be a thru hiker. He first said his goal is to lose 200 pounds.

If this guy drops 200 on trail I'll buy him a new backpack and a beer of his choosing and salute him among a crowd! Test me.

stephanD
03-20-2019, 09:43
If this guy drops 200 on trail I'll buy him a new backpack and a beer of his choosing and salute him among a crowd! Test me.
He'll more likely need a new set of cloths....

Dogwood
03-20-2019, 10:45
Backpacks and beer are more to my liking.

Venchka
03-20-2019, 13:17
A few band-aids would be in order. He had another postholing episode on San Jacinto. He’s okay. A few minor scrapes on some rocks.
Wayne

Venchka
03-20-2019, 20:20
EPISODE 20: Mile 100.
Is up at YouTube.
Well done!
Wayne

TX Aggie
03-20-2019, 21:19
I’ve been having a hard time finding many VLOGgers that I like this year. Second Chance is really the only genuine guy out there that I’ve found and I like. Yeah he laughs at himself a little, and he’s not an expert on everything about being on the trail. But...he’s genuine. He’s out there enjoying his hike. And I mean ACTUALLY ENJOYING being out on the trail.

It is interesting how he seems to be overly cautious in some situations and almost cavalier in others where I would be the opposite. But he chuckles thru it and keeps driving on.

To me, he’s already been a success. Everything from here on out is icing on the cake.

As for the negative comments on his channel: that’s why I don’t read the comments on channels.

Venchka
03-20-2019, 21:31
One of a kind for sure.
Wayne

imscotty
03-20-2019, 23:12
That was nice to watch, good for Cory.

What I remember about that spot was celebrating the 100 mile mark, and then there was another 100 miles written in stones, and then another, and another. There must have been about six of them spread over half a mile. I did a little dance at each one figuring one of them must be correct.

Dogwood
03-20-2019, 23:31
EPISODE 8100: Mile 0

stephanD
03-21-2019, 15:35
I agree with everything you say, but let keep in mind that the grand majority of the comments are positive and encouraging.

stephanD
03-21-2019, 15:36
EPISODE 20: Mile 100.
Is up at YouTube.
Well done!
Wayne
Episode 20 is the best, and the PCT is so beautiful. I wish to be there one day.

One Half
03-21-2019, 16:11
26 days, 100 miles

Slo-go'en
03-21-2019, 16:36
26 days, 100 miles

Well, it's progress. Maddingly slow progress, but still progress.

SoaknWet
03-21-2019, 16:47
I don't care how long it takes him I cried and laughed with him today.

Feral Bill
03-21-2019, 16:55
26 days, 100 miles
So? He's out there having a positive experience. That's what the trail is for.

TX Aggie
03-21-2019, 22:36
It’s 26 days and 100 miles more than I’ve done on the PCT.

Coffee
03-21-2019, 23:14
He has a great attitude, he's out on the trail while I'm sitting here in my apartment typing on my computer, he put out a useful video about snow conditions that could help a lot of hikers, and he seems to be getting in better shape. Of course I'm rooting for him. At the same time, I think he's in for some difficulties with water as the temperatures rise and his mileage will necessitate very long water carries unless he's supported. And I think anyone who is so public in their hike understands that the peanut gallery will be offering advice, solicited or not, especially those of us who have hiked the PCT in Southern California. Seems to me that he's smart enough to know his limits and understand the water situation and he should be fine. I'm more concerned that he'll have to end his hike in disappointment rather than be in physical danger. He's too smart to embark on some long waterless section without adequate water and get himself in big trouble. Bottom line: he's on trail and I can't be even though I'd love to be out there right now! So, best of luck to him!

greenpete
03-22-2019, 08:51
He's a real likeable guy. Smiles and laughs a lot. I'd like to see him reach a stage where he does less videotaping and more quiet observing of that beautiful country.

My shuttle driver in Georgia told me of a man he once shuttled who was so heavy, he only managed a mile or so per day, at the start. But he made it all the way to Katahdin. He sent a photo of himself holding the pants he had when he started, and "You could have fit three of him inside."

JPritch
03-22-2019, 09:34
He's a real likeable guy. Smiles and laughs a lot. I'd like to see him reach a stage where he does less videotaping and more quiet observing of that beautiful country.

My shuttle driver in Georgia told me of a man he once shuttled who was so heavy, he only managed a mile or so per day, at the start. But he made it all the way to Katahdin. He sent a photo of himself holding the pants he had when he started, and "You could have fit three of him inside."
That's a great story. On my section last year, I encountered a girl in the Smokies who was really inspiring. She would be the last one into the shelter, often near dark when everybody was beginning to settle down. And she'd be one of the first gone in the morning to do it all over again. I'd pass her along the way and she was really struggling, sometimes to the point of tears. But she kept at it. I kept tabs on her hike via her Instagram and she made it nearly half way. I thought that showed a lot of strength on her part.

Venchka
03-22-2019, 21:54
Episode 21 released a couple minutes ago.
Wayne

Scrum
03-23-2019, 12:38
Episode 21 released a couple minutes ago.
Wayne

Got to love it when he starts doing the monologue from Braveheart about 7 min. in.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTC95b3A8zmg3B7DfEJ7MYM_1Uezv0mO bKtB_SSJDb-Rl8LMjHa

futureatwalker
03-24-2019, 05:29
Two comments;

1) I think that Second Chance is demonstrating that what matter most on trail is a positive attitude. This hike is an obvious physical challenge for him - likely more than for most - yet he is still out there, logging miles, enjoying it, and letting us arm-chair backpackers experience the trail vicariously.

2) On my reckoning, Second Chance is losing just over a pound a day. At this rate, he may disappear before he reaches Canada!

DuneElliot
03-24-2019, 06:34
Two comments;

1) I think that Second Chance is demonstrating that what matter most on trail is a positive attitude. This hike is an obvious physical challenge for him - likely more than for most - yet he is still out there, logging miles, enjoying it, and letting us arm-chair backpackers experience the trail vicariously.

2) On my reckoning, Second Chance is losing just over a pound a day. At this rate, he may disappear before he reaches Canada!

35lbs in 28 days and 100+ miles. He's doing what he set out to achieve...let's hope he's changing his pre-trail attitude towards food for when he gets off the trail

Feral Bill
03-24-2019, 12:35
What I like most about this man is his almost childlike enjoyment of the small things he is seeing and doing along the way. Whether it's a rock, a small stream, or a herd of cows in the distance, he gets excited. That's the way to hike.

T.S.Kobzol
03-24-2019, 13:02
Just like the Native Americans in Dancing With Wolves [emoji846]

[
QUOTE=futureatwalker;2241694]Two comments;

2) On my reckoning, Second Chance is losing just over a pound a day. At this rate, he may disappear before he reaches Canada![/QUOTE]

One Half
03-24-2019, 13:30
What I like most about this man is his almost childlike enjoyment of the small things he is seeing and doing along the way. Whether it's a rock, a small stream, or a herd of cows in the distance, he gets excited. That's the way to hike.
AGREED

I have all my doubts for his long term success in achieving and maintaining weight loss but I wish him well.

Venchka
03-24-2019, 15:03
Two comments;

According to photos and dates posted on Instagram: Jan. 30: Border Monument to March 5: Warner Springs = 35 pounds in 35 days.
Warner Springs to Idyllwild is unaccounted for at this time.
Keep on truckin!
Wayne

Time Zone
03-24-2019, 17:18
AGREED

I have all my doubts for his long term success in achieving and maintaining weight loss but I wish him well.
As do I ...

but it is worth pointing out that one should have doubts about ANYONE having long-term success in achieving and maintaining weight loss.

For weight loss through an endeavour like this one, the problem is, most people eventually have to come home, off the trail. You can't maintain such an intense calorie burn indefinitely. You have to go back home, back to work, etc, and you won't be limited to the food you can carry. Plus your body may give out. Bottom line: eventually the extreme exercise ends.

For weight lost through diet, the problem is that diets are inherently limited in duration. As soon as you go off of them (and many/most people do, upon reaching their weight loss goal), the weight creeps back. Only a permanent lifestyle change is going to keep the weight off. You might be able to add a few calories back to maintain your lower weight (rather than continue to be in a deficit position), but that becomes a slippery slope to returning to old habits.

It's hard to do. I hope his body holds up so he can keep hiking. Upon return home, he'll have to have another strategy, most likely involving controlling caloric intake, because he's not likely to be able to hike much of the day, as he has been.

Dogwood
03-24-2019, 17:47
As do I ...

but it is worth pointing out that one should have doubts about ANYONE having long-term success in achieving and maintaining weight loss.

For weight loss through an endeavour like this one, the problem is, most people eventually have to come home, off the trail. You can't maintain such an intense calorie burn indefinitely. You have to go back home, back to work, etc, and you won't be limited to the food you can carry. Plus your body may give out. Bottom line: eventually the extreme exercise ends.

For weight lost through diet, the problem is that diets are inherently limited in duration. As soon as you go off of them (and many/most people do, upon reaching their weight loss goal), the weight creeps back. Only a permanent lifestyle change is going to keep the weight off. You might be able to add a few calories back to maintain your lower weight (rather than continue to be in a deficit position), but that becomes a slippery slope to returning to old habits.

It's hard to do. I hope his body holds up so he can keep hiking. Upon return home, he'll have to have another strategy, most likely involving controlling caloric intake, because he's not likely to be able to hike much of the day, as he has been.

Saved me from typing it.

Dogwood
03-24-2019, 17:52
I think that Second Chance is demonstrating... positive attitude This hike is an obvious physical challenge for him - likely more than for most - yet he is still out there, logging miles, enjoying it, and letting us arm-chair backpackers experience the trail vicariously.

Agreed. He's in the moment, curious like a child.

Traffic Jam
03-24-2019, 22:31
I’m so far behind on watching his videos, need to catch up.

Pringles
03-25-2019, 08:30
I don’t care how much he weighs, or if he can keep his weight off—well, I wish him luck. I just enjoy watching his excitement and curiosity and joy. When it comes to HYOH, I want to hike with him. To look, to see, to see what you see. To bubble about it and laugh.

JPritch
03-25-2019, 14:48
Will you all still love him as much when he's skinny and sporting a jawline that could cut steel? Being round and bubbly is disarming to a lot of folks. Ruben Studdard, Jonah Hill, Fat Luther V>Skinny Luther V.

Feral Bill
03-25-2019, 16:38
Will you all still love him as much when he's skinny and sporting a jawline that could cut steel? Being round and bubbly is disarming to a lot of folks. Ruben Studdard, Jonah Hill, Fat Luther V>Skinny Luther V. It'd not his looks that grab people. It is his attitude.

Venchka
03-25-2019, 20:01
A quote from the latest video posted a few minutes ago:
"It's 3 pm. 3 miles."
All the best to you!
Wayne

imscotty
03-25-2019, 21:55
I have to admit that Cory has shamed me with this video. I walked by that hiker-trashed building last summer, cursed the animals who dumped their trash there, then kept on walking. Despite all the weight Second Chance has to carry, he took it upon himself to pack some of the crap out with him. He is of course is right. If every PCT hiker that passes by that ****-hole this summer does the same thing, the place would be cleaned by June.

I have been schooled by a better man.

SoaknWet
03-26-2019, 17:44
Ditto! He is an example that there are good people among us.

FreeGoldRush
03-26-2019, 23:51
I have to admit that Cory has shamed me with this video. ... I have been schooled by a better man.

Really? Have you never picked up a piece of garbage on the trail? Have you never moved a fallen branch off the trail? Second Chance selected two pieces weighing a total of less than one ounce.

It's not shame worhy behavior. It's just good trail behavior practiced by many.

imscotty
03-27-2019, 08:09
Sure, I've trucked out random pieces of garbage. But the amount of trash at the particular location was so overwhelming, I just hiked on. Rather than give up, Second Chance immediately saw that a little bit of effort from many hikers could rectify the situation. I am impressed by that, and wished I had done the same. It was meant as a compliment.

Anyway, that spot is close to the road going SOBO and would be more easily cleaned up by hikers heading in that direction or someone who is local.

Venchka
03-27-2019, 09:59
He’s back.....Episode 23.
Wayne

SoaknWet
03-27-2019, 16:11
Remember when you say Someone should do something, YOU ARE SOMEONE!

imscotty
03-27-2019, 18:06
Some nice self reflection at the end of the most recent video. The trail has a way of doing that to you. Looking forward to the next installment.

Venchka
03-27-2019, 18:10
He confirmed what I have been thinking for awhile.
Good that he is OUT! And About!
Very glad that he is crossing sketchy streams with his boots on!
Wayne

OwenM
03-28-2019, 17:09
I watched the first 4 minutes just now, which is about all I can do-I make videos for my parents all the time, try to keep it under a minute at a time, and can hardly watch my own stuff if it gets close to 3.
I got really tickled at what he considers "fast-moving and dangerous" water, though. Reminded me of what great lengths I went to to keep my feet dry when I first started backpacking. No telling how much time I wasted looking for other ways across, rather than just walking through.

Venchka
03-28-2019, 17:18
Instagram Update:
Self arrest training in the snow.
OwenM:
I find it difficult to watch inexperienced videographers who constantly talk into the camera while ignoring the scenery.
Worse yet: Talking into the camera while eating.
Wayne

OwenM
03-28-2019, 17:53
Yeah, mine are all OF the scenery, waterfalls, memorable campsite, etc. never facing me.

Oh, and I hauled 7 or 8lbs of stuff left on the edge of the trail near a campsite about 5 miles with a side hike to a TH that I knew had garbage cans(rather than carry it another 4 miles!) on my way out of the woods this morning. It's sad anyone finds picking up a little trash remarkable, but I'm glad he thinks in terms of doing *something* rather than nothing. You can be sure he's not leaving trash if he's picking up other people's, too!
He's got a great attitude and is very likeable, regardless.

Venchka
03-28-2019, 21:37
I hear you.
Some people’s kids, the messy type, should not be allowed to leave home.
Wayne

shelb
03-28-2019, 22:10
I am sorry for his struggles; however, I wish him well...

Another Kevin
03-28-2019, 22:14
I'm a late arrival to the thread.

I run on the heavy side, at times in my life I've gotten to 50 lbs or so above ideal weight.

My personal experience: If I have time to hike (not guaranteed, I have lots of other responsibilities, and I don't shirk them), and I have health to hike (not guaranteed, two foot operations and two eye operations in the last three years, and two more eye operations next month), then I've no weight problem. When I picked up hiking regularly after a long absence, ten years ago or so, I dropped forty pounds in two years without trying. Without deprivation, without active calorie management, without substitution, without a carefully planned exercise regimen. Just having fun in the woods and eating whatever I darned please.

Some folks here get pretty sanctimonious about weight, about fitness, about diet, whatever. Y'know what? I'm never going to be the kind of physical specimen that some of the WB'ers are. Doesn't matter. I get out there and have fun. Or I hope to again, once the docs have me patched back together.

And don't harangue me that with healthier living I wouldn't have had the problems. I've gotten kind of old. Nobody's figured out how to fix old, or even postpone it very much.

Hmm, for that matter, some folks on this thread are getting sanctimonious about trash. For what it's worth, on many hikes, I've come out with a kitchen garbage bag of other people's refuse. Some of the hauls have been pretty strange. The worst spots are a couple of secluded corners in a local nature preserve where it appears that high school kids go to mess around. I bring a pair of disposable nitrile-rubber gloves in case I'm trashing out condoms. I will confess to sniggering when I came upon a pair of boxer shorts and a condom where the guy hadn't, uhm, finished the job. I bet he was dressing in considerable haste!

I don't do video on the trail. Most of the folks here have seen my still photographs. I'd probably commit all the video sins you all are bitching about, too.

I'll chalk it all up to cabin fever, and envy that you're sitting in front of a keyboard while he's hiking, however short the distances and however slow the pace.

MuddyWaters
03-28-2019, 22:53
Instagram Update:
Self arrest training in the snow.
OwenM:
I find it difficult to watch inexperienced videographers who constantly talk into the camera while ignoring the scenery.
Worse yet: Talking into the camera while eating.
Wayne

Funny, what kills most people's videos for me is..... When they open their mouth. They should stick to scenery. They have nothing to say that's not obvious and they can't string a coherent sentence together. Most YouTube videos are almost unwatchable Imo. So, when you find somebody that can it's like wow this guy's videos are good. At least by comparison...

fastfoxengineering
03-28-2019, 23:35
Funny, what kills most people's videos for me is..... When they open their mouth. They should stick to scenery. They have nothing to say that's not obvious and they can't string a coherent sentence together. Most YouTube videos are almost unwatchable Imo. So, when you find somebody that can it's like wow this guy's videos are good. At least by comparison...You'd probably appreciate John Zahorians videos. Very well put together

Feral Bill
03-29-2019, 01:11
I hear you.
Some people’s kids, the messy type, should not be allowed to leave home.
Wayne But those are the very ones parents want out of the house.

Venchka
03-29-2019, 02:01
But those are the very ones parents want out of the house.
Smacks his head hard!
DUH!
Yes. Of course.
Wayne

OwenM
03-29-2019, 02:23
Parents are usually the problem, IMO. Who do you think fails to instill values in those kids?
Stuff I packed out today included a pair of men's ExOfficio boxers, ti spork, big Paktowl, about 3 sets of children's clothing(performance clothing like Nike Therma-Wear/Dri-Fit), Ruffwear Palisades dog pack and the stuff sack from a Hennessy hammock. None of it ruined, just wadded up and discarded, along with Smartwater bottles and Mountain House packages.
I looked up that dog pack, and kinda wish I'd kept it for a friend. $150 retail-had no idea. That might have been several hundred bucks worth of stuff I threw away.
But no matter the $ value involved, the mentality is the same.

Sorry for dragging this further OT. I'm used to packing out things like wrappers and bottles, and guess this struck me for being so unusual. I laid it all out and just looked at it for a couple minutes, wondering.
Jerk could've left me a hammock, too, instead of just teasing me with the stuff sack:mad:

Venchka
03-29-2019, 18:56
Just looking at the pile and conjuring up the NCIS theme.
Or Criminal Minds.
Aliens got the family and dog?
Creepy if you want to think that way.
Wayne

Venchka
03-29-2019, 21:19
New episode at YouTube.
Wayne

OwenM
03-30-2019, 00:33
Just looking at the pile and conjuring up the NCIS theme.
I laid it out like that to look at.

New video? Maybe I'll make it past the first few minutes. I did actually watch one in its entirety today. Watching someone laying in their bag talking about not wanting to move isn't very exciting, but it's something I can certainly relate to!
I have to deflate my pad to make myself get up when it's cold...

Venchka
03-30-2019, 14:25

New video? Maybe I'll make it past the first few minutes. I did actually watch one in its entirety today. Watching someone laying in their bag talking about not wanting to move isn't very exciting, but it's something I can certainly relate to!
Yes indeed. The old hips hit the dirt wake up call. Those instructions should be printed next to the air valve.
Thru Hike Video Plug:
SeekingLost.com. 2018 CDT hike. The Wyoming videos.
Wayne

T.S.Kobzol
03-30-2019, 14:45
Yes indeed. The old hips hit the dirt wake up call. Those instructions should be printed next to the air valve.
Thru Hike Video Plug:
SeekingLost.com. 2018 CDT hike. The Wyoming videos.
Wayne

Even though it defies logic I do not find watching past years thru hikes attractive. Like watching old news.

Malto
03-30-2019, 15:43

I watched a couple of the early videos but I can’t make it through an entire one since. I love his curious attitude but Game of Thrones they aren’t.

Venchka
03-30-2019, 16:01
Even though it defies logic I do not find watching past years thru hikes attractive. Like watching old news.

I guess it’s a Wyoming thing.
I’m not twisting your arm.
Wayne

Venchka
03-30-2019, 16:07
Since this thread was founded on a weight loss theme...
One data point about Thru Hiking Weight Loss:
2018. CDT NOBO. Fit male hiker.
Weight loss at Pie Town, New Mexico: 17 pounds.
That 17 pounds remained steady to the Canadian border.
Good luck Cory!
Wayne

T.S.Kobzol
03-30-2019, 16:23
Wayne

Duly noted [emoji51][emoji106]

FreeGoldRush
03-30-2019, 17:47
I watched a couple of the early videos but I can’t make it through an entire one since. I love his curious attitude but Game of Thrones they aren’t.
Prefer videos packed with data. Mileage? What time did he hit the trail this morning? Elevation change? Weather? Last resupply town? Days till next resupply? How much water on this section? Plans for next zero? Food choices and how they are working out? Difficulty getting laundry and resupply done? Using drop boxes? Sleeping well? Gear changes? Strategy for first big section without water?

Wish he had more of this in his videos.

lonehiker
03-30-2019, 18:36
Prefer videos packed with data. Mileage? What time did he hit the trail this morning? Elevation change? Weather? Last resupply town? Days till next resupply? How much water on this section? Plans for next zero? Food choices and how they are working out? Difficulty getting laundry and resupply done? Using drop boxes? Sleeping well? Gear changes? Strategy for first big section without water?

Wish he had more of this in his videos.

I've yet to watch any that included anything close to the data you request...

Pringles
03-30-2019, 21:29
What’s it got to do with Wyoming?

Wayne

Venchka
03-30-2019, 21:50
What’s it got to do with Wyoming?

Start at Episode 19, or Episode 18 for the beginning of Wyoming. Watch through to Mack's Inn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Phqq2il5c

Wayne

Venchka
04-01-2019, 20:54
Second Chance Progress:
Cory apparently hitched out of Idyllwild back to where he stopped hiking in order to go to Idyllwild and make the video about the conditions on Mt. San Jacinto.
Today he posted a video of his Hiking Day 32, stopping at Mile 132.
At his current pace, Cory will reach Kennedy Meadows in 142 days. With no Zeros.
Wayne

imscotty
04-01-2019, 22:10
The conditions he has been in are just a dream for the desert. Cory is still smiling and still having fun. I wish he had shown some video of Mike's Place, I cannot imagine that there are too many hikers there yet.

Venchka
04-02-2019, 00:19
The conditions he has been in are just a dream for the desert. Cory is still smiling and still having fun. I wish he had shown some video of Mike's Place, I cannot imagine that there are too many hikers there yet.
A video went up over the weekend of a group beyond Palace Cafe and closing in on Idyllwild.
Cory doesn’t like the cold and especially the rain. What will he think about the heat?
Wayne

SoaknWet
04-02-2019, 07:28
Bottom line, he's out there, where are we?

imscotty
04-02-2019, 08:35
Cory doesn’t like the cold and especially the rain. What will he think about the heat?
Wayne

He will be wishing for the cold and the rain :)

Venchka
04-02-2019, 13:12
Bottom line, he's out there, where are we?
Agreed. We’re nowhere.
On the other hand,
Oh never mind. I’ll behave.
Wayne

T.S.Kobzol
04-02-2019, 16:16
I don't really want to complain because I don't contribute one iota to his videos but the last video is pretty half assed. He could just hold on until he has enough footage and curate what goes in...would be better than releasing something just for the sake of having a new video