PDA

View Full Version : Zpacks arc management

steady123
02-19-2019, 18:17
Just received a Zpacks arc haul backpack. During a hike do you release the arc tension straps at night or during a zero or only during long term storage? How long do you keep tension on the arc?

Steady

steady123
02-19-2019, 18:22
Did a little post research on WhiteBlaze. Release tension every eventing?

soumodeler
02-19-2019, 20:37
It really depends for me. Sometimes I will leave it arced the entire trip, sometimes I will release it each night. Sometimes it is all about making it easier to unpack and repack, as the arc tends to interfere with getting my sleeping bag out of the bottom of the pack. I have heard that some people set the arc and tie off the cords so it can't release without any negative effects.

MuddyWaters
02-19-2019, 21:07
Never.

Thats actually not true
I remove stays when using pack as carryon on way home from a trip

But aside from that there's no reason to remove tension intentionally

bigcranky
02-19-2019, 21:29
I release the tension in storage at home.

DuneElliot
02-20-2019, 03:20
I personally tension it before my first trip of the year and leave it until the last trip of the year. No ill effects yet...it's carbon fiber, not metal.

JPritch
02-20-2019, 11:23
I have an Arc Blast, but I assume the tensioning system is identical to the Haul. Does anybody have a hard time arcing their packs? Maybe I just need to hit the gym more.

Vince G
02-20-2019, 12:55
I have an Arc Blast, but I assume the tensioning system is identical to the Haul. Does anybody have a hard time arcing their packs? Maybe I just need to hit the gym more.

First I load the pack then press my knee against the back panel, arc the pack then set. As long as the pack is not overloaded, this works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DuneElliot
02-20-2019, 13:54
I Arc it first...I think it puts more stress overall on the pack and the stays to do it when it's loaded. Not to mention I can't physically do it so that tells me more about how much extra forces there are on the stays and the pack itself to arc it when it's full.

steady123
02-20-2019, 16:29
Thanks guys. You have answered the question. I'll un arc at the end of the trip.

MisterQ
02-21-2019, 14:04
I use the empty pack as a base for my pillow, so I loosen it every night. Re-arc in the morning before loading the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk