PDA

View Full Version : Let’s talk ear 👂 plugs

GolfHiker
02-23-2019, 13:15
I’m always looking for the best ear plugs available ( otc), for those nights in shelters &/or near a loud tent or hammock. I know you can go cheap, and I’m assuming there are ample choices to be had, both cheap and not so cheap. I’d be interested in knowing what works for you all, noting both type and specific brand.

You know what they say about a good nights sleep.....

cmoulder
02-23-2019, 13:40
Mack's ear plugs
(https://www.target.com/p/mack-s-pillow-soft-silicone-putty-earplugs-8-pair/-/A-15022917)
For me, the squishy foam ones are okay for a few days but start irritating my ear canals after that. These soft, moldable ones don't do that. They can pick up debris easily, so take care to keep them in a little case of some sort. My wife gave me a little plastic pill box that is perfect for them.

Puddlefish
02-23-2019, 14:21
Hardware store, 3M disposable. I bought a box with 80 pairs, for about $10. Very soft, good if you happen to sleep on the side. No concern if you lose them in the bottom of your sleeping bag, or get them dirty, just grab another pair.

TexasBob
02-23-2019, 16:10
Mack's ear plugs
(https://www.target.com/p/mack-s-pillow-soft-silicone-putty-earplugs-8-pair/-/A-15022917)
For me, the squishy foam ones are okay for a few days but start irritating my ear canals after that. These soft, moldable ones don't do that. They can pick up debris easily, so take care to keep them in a little case of some sort. My wife gave me a little plastic pill box that is perfect for them.

Mack's work best for me too. Foam ear plugs don't work well in my ears.

4eyedbuzzard
02-23-2019, 16:31
Quiet, made by Howard Leight / Sperian / Honeywell. NRR 26 rating. They are smooth surfaced so they are easily cleaned and hold up well for disposables. Very light and comfortable - I hate those plugs you have to roll up and let expand in the ear canal - these don't bother me like those types. I would venture with good care you could get at least month out of a pair. https://www.earplugstore.com/qureearpln26.html?cmp=googlebase&kw=qureearpln26&ppce=ZT1Gcm9vZ2xlJm49RnJvb2dsZStGZWVk&campaign=adwords&kw=&creative=268534011986&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-8PjBRCWARIsADc18TKQn-PS2traBI-qsW6W-C6CE3CsKpWyH-oYRrcqDTwwAxzr7jW-dbwaAgWOEALw_wcB
But... I don't wear earplugs when hiking (or sleeping). Only at work.

jefals
02-23-2019, 18:18
I can't believe the Wayne-man hasn't weighed in on this one yet! He knows ear-plugs inside out!

MuddyWaters
02-23-2019, 18:24
3M yellow earsoft plugs
Narrow enough to fit ear canals easier

Hold shape long enough when rolled to insert in ear
Repeatedly

Some types only do 1st time or 2. then get impossible to reinsert they expand so quick. A finish that let them expand slow gets destroyed by ear oils making difficult to impossible to reuse . Probably not coincidence.

Can keep reusing the 3M yellow a long time

zelph
02-23-2019, 19:39
EAR DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Custom Molded Earplug Kit with Cord
https://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Custom-Molded-Earplug-Cord/dp/B01HSHVR90

peakbagger
02-23-2019, 20:23
I use the 3m foam ear plugs. The trick with them is how you put them on and you need to realize that any earplug is going to get dirty from ear wax in a few days. If you dont keep them clean an wash them every few days they will irritate you ears. Having worked in industry I had to sit through annual training to use foam ear plugs. The trick is take one hand reach over the head grab the top of the ear lobe and lift up. Now using clean rolled foam plus insert it in the ear canal and wait until it expands. Let go of the ear lobe and do the other ear.The will not roll and re expand as well as they get dirty. The nice thing is with the 3M foam plugs is just throw them in the washer when you do a wash and they are good as new. I personally like the corded variety as they are lot easier to keep track of. BTW there is no one size fits all ear plug. I have big ear canals and the only thing that work well are the foam ones.

Time Zone
02-23-2019, 21:01
I’m always looking for the best ear plugs available ( otc), for those nights in shelters &/or near a loud tent or hammock. I know you can go cheap, and I’m assuming there are ample choices to be had, both cheap and not so cheap. I’d be interested in knowing what works for you all, noting both type and specific brand.

I've tried 3M soft "bullet", AOSafety yellow cylinder, and right now, Western Safety soft bullet (cheap, bought at Harbor Freight).

Hard to generalize. For me, the balancing act is this: the soft bullets are more comfortable in the ear, but the yellow cylinders block noise better. The yellow cylinders can be a bit painful in the ear (too forceful agains ear canal walls), but the soft bullets can often seal out air so thoroughly that it can nearly pop your eardrum upon removing them (you have to try to break the seal SLOWLY and only THEN pull them out).

All have worked much of the time; all have failed some of the time. Of the three, I just wouldn't buy the last one again, but they work well enough that I am going to use up the box first. I think the others are a bit better. Not sure I have a clear favorite among the latter. It depends on the day ... er, on the night. I think the NRR is higher on the yellow cylinders, and that's what I counted on when I rode motorcycles. The others are a bit harder to get a good seal in one of my ears.

Venchka
02-23-2019, 21:44
Mack's ear plugs
I’ve been using Mack’s since forever. We first used them in the 70s when my daughter was swimming and I had a motorcycle.
I’m still using them today around the house with leaf blowers, chainsaw, etc.
AND! In a tent during overnight rainfall. Required to retain my sanity!
Best hearing protection ever! They last forever until you drop and loose them. Carry spares.
Wayne

Slumgum
02-23-2019, 22:50
My preference is for the soft silicone plugs with three baffles. They look a little bit like a three tiered Christmas tree. My ear canals drive me crazy with the foam or moldable types. The silicone ones are much more comfortable for me and super easy to clean. They are a bit more expensive than other types, but money well spent in my opinion. I will add that no ear plugs work for stopping noise coming from obnoxious campers who choose to set up tents right next to yours and talk/cackle into the wee hours. It happens.

blw2
02-23-2019, 23:53
I've not used them so much for sleeping, but have a handful of times....
My experience with earplugs is over many years of daily wear at work. I have always preferred the old classic EAR foam plugs.... the yellow tubular ones. I've never had a pair of the conical bullet shaped ones that felt right to me, and I'm just not able to get a good seal either....have probably tried them all over the years. I know lots of other folks though with different opinions. I figure all people are made a bit different and what works for me may not be the best for you.
I'm curious though about these mack plugs. I have no experience with them. If they are moldable, then it seems like it would not be a good seal with any movement, but on the other hand they may not put any outward pressure on the ear which seems like it may be better for sleeping.

mclaught
02-24-2019, 00:21
I know you ultralighters wouldn't consider this, but I bring my Remington shooting ear muffs. They weigh 10 ounces, but for me, they block out everything much better than any inserts I've ever used.

SC_Forester
02-24-2019, 01:26
If your a side sleeper the soft foam bullet shaped ones are the only way to go.

cmoulder
02-24-2019, 09:14
But... I don't wear earplugs when hiking (or sleeping). Only at work.

I try not to, but with coyotes, owls, whipporwills, mating frogs, roaring wind and rain on my snare-drum Cuben, and — and on occasional hikes with other people — chainsaw snoring and gas-blasting, I will gladly use them. :)

cmoulder
02-24-2019, 09:19
And I forgot loons. One time in Algonquin I was ready to go out and kill every last one of them, or myself... something had to give. IIRC, I ended up stuffing toilet paper in my ears.

Venchka
02-24-2019, 10:38
Snare-Drum TarpTent as well.
Yes. Silnylon can be drum tight during several hours of rain.
Maddening!
Wayne

Kerosene
02-24-2019, 13:12
I go with the blue foam Hear-Os from Walgreen's, with an NRR of 35 (I notice a big difference between 35 and 32). These don't handle washing with water very well, so I typically bring a pair that will last for 1-2 weeks.

MuddyWaters
02-24-2019, 22:34
I know you ultralighters wouldn't consider this, but I bring my Remington shooting ear muffs. They weigh 10 ounces, but for me, they block out everything much better than any inserts I've ever used.

In college i would study with earplugs , and shooting muffs together.

You can hear yourself blink.

greensleep
02-25-2019, 09:52
you can get foam ear plugs that are attached by a tiny plastic cord so that if one falls out, or both, you don't lose them. I get mine at a local tool and machine rental store.

Zalman
02-25-2019, 18:36
3M disposable orange foam here. I don't use them while backpacking because I'm keen on situational awareness, but I do make extensive use of them for motorcycling. A couple of things to note about using these:

1. if they're still too warm from having been recently removed, they won't hold their shape long enough to roll into your ear again. If you're in a situation where you'll need to take them out and put them back in a few times, you might need two pairs to alternate between so that one is always cold enough.

2. you can easily adjust the amount of sound blockage by adjusting the depth of insertion into the ear canal. Leave them halfway out for a more comfortable fit when you don't need quite as much sound blockage.

RamblenOn
02-25-2019, 21:05
I use the cheap and dirty pinkish color ones you can get at CVS (CVS Brand). Pack of 50 was pretty cheap and they are comfortable compared to some of the others I have used.

They block the sound really good (32dB). I do alot of RVing and this will block out everything from noisy neighbors to the cave bear snoring next to me at night . She has allergies so can suck the paint off the ceiling when she gets going lmao

One Half
02-25-2019, 23:05
I use custom molded ones I had made for shooting. I wouldn't hear a bear until too late!

TexasBob
02-26-2019, 11:50
I use custom molded ones I had made for shooting. I wouldn't hear a bear until too late!

Were did you get your ear plugs?

zelph
02-26-2019, 18:22

Did you have to send in a do it yourself mold impression of each ear like what's available online?

EAR DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Custom Molded Earplug Kit with Cordhttps://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Cust.../dp/B01HSHVR90

One Half
02-26-2019, 21:57
Were did you get your ear plugs?

I went to a Cowboy Action Shooting event in NH a number of years ago and had them made. I think I paid $75 for the pair. I use them for shooting as well. My ears are really weird shaped and I have never been able to use anything else well. The foamies hurt my ears, well, my left ear in particular after a little while. I even have problems with ear buds for listening to my podcasts and need ones that hold around the ear so I can keep them out of my ear,

One Half
02-26-2019, 21:58
you can also sometimes find someone making them at gun shows

wordstew
02-27-2019, 01:27
Did you have to send in a do it yourself mold impression of each ear like what's available online?

EAR DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Custom Molded Earplug Kit with Cordhttps://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Cust.../dp/B01HSHVR90

Hey buddy
I went to an audiologist, had custom fitted earplugs made for like 40 bucks one of the best investments. 10x more comfortable than the pink foam ones.

If you want to go one step further take those custom ear plugs and have a pair of Livewires made.
http://www.mylivewires.com/

GolfHiker
02-28-2019, 12:12
Hey all, we’ve covered a lot of ground here. Foam bullets, silicone, DIY, special made by audiologists, shooting plugs &/or ear muffs. I’ve used Mack’s for years with decent results, never really tried the foam, don’t want the expense of special made. I may check Walgreens or CVS for their otc, NRR 32 +/-, hoping for some gains in my personal quest for sleeping solitude on the trail.

Thanks to to all for this input.

BradMT
03-02-2019, 15:06
I've used these for 29 years... there's really no point overthinking this.

https://www.earplugstore.com/holemaxuffop.html

ocourse
03-02-2019, 21:39
You know what they say about a good nights sleep.....

I hope I don't end the thread with my comments. A little off topic..
I haven't been able to adapt to plugs. All I've tried have made noises in my ears. Also, they seem to amplify my heartbeat. But most importantly, I am very much situationally aware. I'm on alert for my safety, plus I like the critter noise.

BradMT
03-02-2019, 21:48
I hope I don't end the thread with my comments... I'm on alert for my safety, plus I like the critter noise.

Commendable, but a good nights sleep is more important to me. I call my earplugs “bear plugs.” All my backpacking is in grizzly country and I’ prefer not hearing them. Ignorance is, indeed, bliss...

TexasBob
03-03-2019, 14:20
..........I haven't been able to adapt to plugs. All I've tried have made noises in my ears. Also, they seem to amplify my heartbeat.........

It took me a little while to get used to them too. The sounds of your own breathing, swallowing etc. are louder than usual and kind of distracting.

ocourse
03-03-2019, 14:47
If I could learn how to sleep on my back, it'd probably be OK. But I always sleep on my right side and my ear is down where it makes noises rubbing on pillow/sleeping bag. I snore and I just can't fall asleep on my back.

Time Zone
03-03-2019, 16:09
you can get foam ear plugs that are attached by a tiny plastic cord so that if one falls out, or both, you don't lose them. I get mine at a local tool and machine rental store.
Reminded me - I've tried the corded silicone ones that are sort of "tiered" mushroom type. Bought them at tool store too. They were very painful for me, but YMMV.