PDA

View Full Version : Uber/Lyft from San Diego to southern terminus?

Razorback
02-23-2019, 16:35
Hello everyone,
Planning a section from the southern terminus to Idyllwild
Has anyone had luck with an Uber or Lyft directly from the San Diego airport to the Campo trailhead?
I'm sure this would be expensive but looking to get on the trail as soon as possible after landing to maximize time in California. I'm aware that the San Diego MTS has 4 buses daily on weekdays running to Campo but ideally would like to be hiking within two or three hours of landing in San Diego.
Thanks

fastfoxengineering
02-23-2019, 16:49
Hello everyone,
Planning a section from the southern terminus to Idyllwild
Has anyone had luck with an Uber or Lyft directly from the San Diego airport to the Campo trailhead?
I'm sure this would be expensive but looking to get on the trail as soon as possible after landing to maximize time in California. I'm aware that the San Diego MTS has 4 buses daily on weekdays running to Campo but ideally would like to be hiking within two or three hours of landing in San Diego.
ThanksWhy not just look it up on the Uber app? People have done it.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Razorback
02-23-2019, 17:41
Thanks, but Uber App was "unable to calculate this trip."
Just hoping I could get somebody to drive that far realizing they would be very unlikely to find a fare on the return trip.

jefals
02-23-2019, 18:16
I did last year. (feb, 18). from San ysidro. Uber picked me up at my motel, 5 minutes after I ordered it. cost about $65.
note that there is a bus from S.D. that would be a whole lot cheape.r

jefals
02-23-2019, 18:42
if you do take that bus, it let's you off at the store, a mile or so from the terminus. That's also where I had the uber guy let me out. I'm sure he would have taken me to the terminus if I wanted him to.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-23-2019, 19:24
if you do take that bus, it let's you off at the store, a mile or so from the terminus. That's also where I had the uber guy let me out. I'm sure he would have taken me to the terminus if I wanted him to.
The store's a great little place to pick up some last minute snacks. The guys are cool there.

jefals
02-23-2019, 19:47
yes they are. I stocked up on water there -but wasn't paying attention. got a few miles up the trail, took a swig - and I had gotten seltzer water! :) oh well. I liked it.

Venchka
02-23-2019, 21:54
When are you going?
When do Scout and Frodo start hosting and shuttle service to Campo?
You might have to adjust your plane schedule.
Good luck!
Wayne

fastfoxengineering
02-23-2019, 22:31
When are you going?
When do Scout and Frodo start hosting and shuttle service to Campo?
You might have to adjust your plane schedule.
Good luck!
WayneMarch 22

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Venchka
02-23-2019, 22:53
Okay.
So fly in on the 21st (my birthday), spend the night with Frodo and Scout. Be at the monument on March 22 before you would arrive at the airport.
Piece of cake!
Wayne

Venchka
02-24-2019, 00:11
A recommendation from a WhiteBlaze member.

Scout and Frodo were wonderful hosts. One nice thing about staying with them is that they get you to the terminus around 7:00 AM - giving you plenty of time to make it to Lake Morena on Day 1.
Hopefully you can make it work for you.
Wayne

jefals
02-24-2019, 00:21
Yes, that's definitely an option. I hear they are very gracious, and they will NOT let you pay them. A lot of folks use them. For me, it bothered me too much; I did feel too much like I'd be using them! That's probably silly, tho. They say they love it!

Venchka
02-25-2019, 00:03
While Scout & Frodo abstain from accepting cash, rumor has it that a bottle of wine is a nice thank you gift.
Wayne