PDA

View Full Version : Age Of Shelters

Frog
02-24-2006, 21:31
Where could you find the history of the shelters. Year each one was built. Oldest one still standing. What group built each one.

Ridge
02-24-2006, 21:39
Lot of this info can be gotten from the Trail Maintenance Clubs who are responsible for the shelters in their area. Look at the AT Maps for the areas of coverage and names of the clubs. There are a lot of Clubs. Check out http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/atclubs.html

Of course, you can contact the ATC for info.

freefall
02-24-2006, 21:46
Where could you find the history of the shelters. Year each one was built. Oldest one still standing. What group built each one.

Thru-hiker's Companion lists years shelters were built/remodeled, if they have privy or not, etc...

TJ aka Teej
02-24-2006, 21:47
Oldest one still standing. Might be the CCC one at Horns Pond in Maine. Just a day-use shelter now, with a cut out floor.

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2006, 20:09
Cold Spring Shelter, just north of Burningtown Gap, NC, also dates back to the early thirties.....and looks it!

Jack Tarlin
02-25-2006, 20:14
Come to think of it, William Brien Shelter in New York, a real mouse dungeon, dates from the early thirties too, and West Mountain Shelter, just off the A.T., dates from the late twenties, as does Fingerboard Shelter.

Lugnut
02-26-2006, 01:45
Cold Spring Shelter, just north of Burningtown Gap, NC, also dates back to the early thirties.....and looks it!

If I remember correctly it even has Geo. Washington's name carved in one of the logs. If it is authenic that would probably make it the oldest. :banana

Ridge
02-26-2006, 13:24
If I remember correctly it even has Geo. Washington's name carved in one of the logs. If it is authenic that would probably make it the oldest. :banana

I think the one I saw the name "Jesus" carved in would be a little older!!!

neo
02-26-2006, 13:52
Lot of this info can be gotten from the Trail Maintenance Clubs who are responsible for the shelters in their area. Look at the AT Maps for the areas of coverage and names of the clubs. There are a lot of Clubs. Check out http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/atclubs.html

Of course, you can contact the ATC for info.

the atc thru hiker companion list shelters age:cool: neo

TACKLE
02-27-2006, 20:39
I thought McQueen shelter in Virginia was the oldest still standing and in use?

Askus3
03-03-2006, 04:05
William Brien Shelter was once at Island Pond and it was too close to Arden Valley Road and accessible and was a hangout so it was removed. they still wanted to honor Mr William Brien so the Letter Rock Shelter became the William Brien Memorial Shelter. Then a major brush fire took out the roof of WB Memorial Shelter, so the original walls are in place as the stone walls did not burn, but the roof was redone - so with a relatively new roof in place does it count as an original CCC shelter. I would go with Fingerboard or West Mountian Shelters for old age shelters. Does any portion of Madison Spring Hut date back to the 19th Century?