PDA

View Full Version : National Geographic Topo maps - copyright date 2015

saranee
02-27-2019, 17:54
Hi,

I came across the National Geographic Topo maps which I thought looked helpful. But in the specs it says the copyright is 2015. Are these too out of date?

https://www.natgeomaps.com/ti-1503-appalachian-trail-damascus-to-bailey-gap-virginia

Lone Wolf
02-27-2019, 17:57
no. not at all

tdoczi
02-27-2019, 18:35
they're not, but at the same time, keep in the back of your head that some of it might not be totally accurate and you might save yourself some head scratching.

for instance i recently had the "pleasure" of trying to descend NOBO into Pearisburg, VA using maps just a few years out of date. It was confusing to say the least. All the more so because the relo isnt very far (basically theres a road crossing that isnt there anymore) I finally decided there must have been a relo, but after much time spent trying to come up with another explanation.

LazyLightning
02-27-2019, 18:54
I was very happy with them on my thru, any difference will be minimal but just keep it in mind like mentioned above.

If you want maps make sure you don't pay attention to anybody telling you how you don't need them, cause there's sure to be some. There good to have for emergency reasons but I liked them to look at every night and even during some days to get a better perspective on where I'm going/went and just a better overall picture of what I'm looking at and the whole trip in general. The AT is centered on the maps giving you many miles in every direction and most side trails are on those maps... especially in the Smokies and the Whites.