PDA

View Full Version : NJ / NY Bear Canister in September Yes / No ?

Mouser999
02-28-2019, 15:19
Is a bear canister needed in NJ / NY in September?

Feral Bill
02-28-2019, 17:44
You might be the first person ever if you bring one.

Sarcasm the elf
02-28-2019, 18:10
You might be the first person ever if you bring one.

Second at the very least.

Sarcasm the elf
02-28-2019, 18:15
Is a bear canister needed in NJ / NY in September?

Needed is a relative term. In NJ every camping area has an installed bear box except for the southermost few miles that are in DWG which allows dispersed camping.

Many, but not all of the campsites in NY have bear boxes as well. The only real issue is Harriman park where they have had habituated bear issues the last couple of years. Fingerboard Shelter in particular had a bear frequently visiting that would steal poorly hung bags and unattended food. I’m not sure if this is still an issue this year.

Mouser999
03-02-2019, 10:49
I saw a not from the NJ/NY Trail Conference that they are recommended. I have access to canisters from friends but now think unnecessary.
Thanks for the assists

Another Kevin
03-08-2019, 15:47
New York State recommends bear canisters pretty much everywhere, but few hikers bother with them. The only place in NY where they're legally required is the part of High Peaks Wilderness Area lying east of the ridge line of Nye, Street, MacNaughton, Panther and Santanoni Mountains. (That now include the Boreas Ponds tract and the former Dix Mountain Wilderness.)

Harriman has problem bears, and sooner or later canisters are likely to be required there legally, but it hasn't happened yet.