PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad Upgrade

beefsmack
03-02-2019, 17:26
Was gonna pull the trigger on a new Uberlite when REI distributes dividends and issues the 20% coupon. Was curious on anyone's thoughts who has one? I've watched a few reviews but the more opinions the better. Thanks!

Dogwood
03-02-2019, 18:36
Still trying to wrap my mind around a marketed to alpinist inflatable with a R-value of 2.

With the 20% coup, desiring an inflatable full length pad with a comparatively lower volume, and low wt for what it offers, could be a winner.

Don't have one and not likely to try to get one. Go different routes. That's me. I'm not you.

Emerson Bigills
03-02-2019, 21:20
I would probably be wary of spending that much money on a R-2 value pad. The weight is impressive, but at that price, I would go ahead and get the X-therm. It weighs twice as much, but will provide some of the highest level warmth out there, R-5.7 is strong. I dragged mine around without any issues and after about 200 nights of trail use it seems to be losing some air. I sure got my money's worth, so I am a big fan. Only you know how much those ounces matter.

HooKooDooKu
03-03-2019, 00:05
The lighter (than xTherm) Xlite still has an R rating of 3.8, which I've found to be fine for 3 season travel (with temps as low as around freezing).

Hikingjim
03-03-2019, 10:45
Was gonna pull the trigger on a new Uberlite when REI distributes dividends and issues the 20% coupon. Was curious on anyone's thoughts who has one? I've watched a few reviews but the more opinions the better. Thanks!
If you want a specialized warm weather pad, then yes? Looks same as xlite... just thinner nylon
If you don't already have an xlite and want a pad that you can use 3 season, then no.

The upgrade to an xlite from a larger/cheaper pad is typically a huge space savings and probably a good weigh savings. From xlite to uber is a much smaller bulk/weight saving, and reduces versatility

OwenM
03-03-2019, 10:53
Don't have one, but would consider it IF I were starting over gear-wise and doing lots of longer trips in warm weather with a small pack, so needed to minimize packed size of everything. I do have a "fair weather fastpacking" daydream list...
Really, having light enough gear that weight just isn't an issue to me any more, I'm not a prime candidate. On the other hand, I live in Alabama, and could probably use it with my 50F quilt for half of the year.

beefsmack
03-03-2019, 13:35
Thanks for the input everyone. Some valid points to consider.