PDA

View Full Version : How is hiking after a thru hike????

DLANOIE
02-25-2006, 00:29
I love the outdoors. It is my life, just ask anyone who knows me. I hike as much as possible(which is not nearly enogh). This will be my first long distance hike. And I know I can complete the hike(barring ofcourse the acts of God), will I still love to hike after this journey? Or will I have had enough and never have an intrest ever again? Any experiences with this?:confused:

Burn
02-25-2006, 07:24
i have hiked thru several states and still enjoy the long distance hiking as well as strolls in the park or near a stream....ya gotta understand i was never a long distance hiker before so anything near several hundred footsteps along a stream or thru a park was my fortey....today to say i am going hiking, my wife isn't sure when i will be back or for how many miles i will be shooting for....did 800+ miles of AT in 04, sevearl hundred in 03 to train, did 120 in 05....if you like it now, wait till you really do a long distance and imagine that lifestyle its hard to kick the dream....sorry i am not a thruhiker a nor try to imply i am....but i consider myself a long distance hiker now.... folks used to be amazed in PA when i would say something bone headed about how i am really not a back packer...how else did i get to the middle of nowhere PA....imagine that...lol

MOWGLI
02-25-2006, 08:55
I love the outdoors. It is my life, just ask anyone who knows me. I hike as much as possible(which is not nearly enogh). This will be my first long distance hike. And I know I can complete the hike(barring ofcourse the acts of God), will I still love to hike after this journey? Or will I have had enough and never have an intrest ever again? Any experiences with this?:confused:

I think an AT thru-hike or long section hike will probably only serve to solidify your committment to being an outdoorsman.

Allow me a story. I hiked in 2000. In spring '01 I was having a bout with Springer fever - BAD. I arranged with a couple of my best buddies to do a week long hike in the SE. Here I was trying to pick the best section of the AT to go back and rekindle some of magic from 2000.

Well my buddy John said, "You've already hiked the AT. Lets do something different." At first I was somewhat taken aback, crestfallen actually, but I reluctantly agreed. We ended up spending 4 days hiking around Pisgah NF in the Shining Rock Wilderness and then another 3 days in the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness. It was awesome! I've been exploring new trails ever since.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, the AT is great. It's beautiful and unique. Go and hike it and then explore some of the thousands of miles of other trails that you've never set foot on. You very likely won't be disappointed.

Spirit Walker
02-25-2006, 10:41
For me, doing my first long hike only solidified my love of the outdoors lifestyle. I discovered how important it was to me to be out hiking. After that first long hike, I continued to hike every weekend, and went on to explore other long trails and wilderness areas around the country - JMT, PCT, CDT, Alaska, Canada, Montana, etc. The AT was a first step, not a final step.

Ridge
02-25-2006, 20:26
My goal after the AT was to hike at least 1500 miles per year, some years since my thru I have done this, I missed it a couple times. It's hard to get in 30 miles avg. per week, every week. I go thru a pair and a half of boot soles per year. I keep 4 pairs of identical boots, which I send to Seattle to let Dave Page do his magic re-sole work when I wear them out.

SalParadise
02-25-2006, 23:16
I can't imagine a person could have burn-out if you already like to hike. I still plan to hike some this summer. Plus I feel that thru-hiking is so much different than doing short hikes and I'd bet the difference between the two would keep things feeling fresh.

heck, I'd put money that you'll get back from your thru and want to go hiking again the next weekend.

Rendezvous01
02-25-2006, 23:54
I had done very little backpacking prior to my 1100 mile AT hike, although lots of day hikes. I am definitely not burned out on hiking (maybe in part because I haven't completed the Trail), but now I hike lots more than I used to, from frequent dayhikes to shorter backpacking trips with my teenaged son. Your desire to hike will not be diminished by achieving one of your dreams. You may actually get addicted to the long-distance hiking. Many AT hikers move on to the PCT, then the CDT afterwards. (Just don't mention this to your wife.)

Mags
02-27-2006, 12:33
Those white blazes on the AT lead not only to Katahdin (or Springer) for many people, but also to a new life.

I can honestly say if i did not hike the AT, would not have moved to Colorado and have the life that I now enjoy.

The AT sometimes satisfies the wanderlust urge. Other times it merely increases it. That was the case for me.

Sly
02-27-2006, 13:47
The AT sometimes satisfies the wanderlust urge

There was a guy who hiked the AT in '97 who I met again in '99 at the 180 mile mark on the PCT heading out as I was heading back in. I asked what he was up to and he said "enough, I remember how hard it was the 1st time, I'm done."

Footslogger
02-27-2006, 14:30
A long distance hike affects people in different ways. I know personally of hikers who completed the AT and then seemed to walk away from hiking all together.

For most of us though, once you complete a distance hike it's "in your blood". You may return to your life before the trail but sooner or later the bug will bite again and you'll be out there. Maybe not for a long distance hike but the "force" will pull you back to the trail.

'Slogger

jackiebolen
02-27-2006, 15:59
When I finished 1500 miles on the AT, I was sick of backpacking and would only go on dayhikes, with friends, if they organized it! However, after about a year, I was back in form and ready to hit the trails again. I think I am far more confident in my capabilities, have better gear, more experience, etc, etc, so hiking is actually a lot more of an enjoyable experience now. Plus I have the luxury of choosing not to go if it rains.

The Solemates
02-27-2006, 17:28
have always loved to hike, and it didnt start with a thru-hike of the AT. ever since I could walk, my dad took me to the woods for hikes. long distance hikes just help fuel the fire.