PDA

View Full Version : The March first crowd

Slo-go'en
03-03-2019, 12:15
Wonder how many started March First?

Looks like thier getting really wet today.
I bet it's going to be a rough first couple of weeks.
Like usual.

Puddlefish
03-03-2019, 16:59
https://atcamp.org/atthruhikerreports.cfm

Looks like 60 hikers registered to leave on the first. It's going to be a bit crowded in Georgia.

globetruck
03-03-2019, 18:03
Anyone know if Frozen (Outdoor Adventures YouTube channel) started hiking yet? Last update I saw was him upsizing his pack to carry some more cold weather gear, but I don’t think he’s hiking yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JC13
03-03-2019, 18:46
Wonder how many started March First?

Looks like thier getting really wet today.
I bet it's going to be a rough first couple of weeks.
Like usual.We watched a fair amount head out, it was mainly just drizzle until the bottom dropped out for a solid hour or two. We watched people start out on the Approach all the way until midnight when I finally went to sleep.

Anyone know if Frozen (Outdoor Adventures YouTube channel) started hiking yet? Last update I saw was him upsizing his pack to carry some more cold weather gear, but I don’t think he’s hiking yet.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkFrozen was supposed to have started last week I think.

jgillam
03-03-2019, 23:02
For best updates, follow him on Instagram. He's been posting updates regularly. I believe he's over 100 miles in.

kevperro
03-04-2019, 10:04
For best updates, follow him on Instagram. He's been posting updates regularly. I believe he's over 100 miles in.

There is something disturbing to me about tracking someone on a thru-hike like they are an incoming missile.

Gambit McCrae
03-04-2019, 10:17
There is something disturbing to me about tracking someone on a thru-hike like they are an incoming missile.

People live vicariously through others. I follow hikers every year along their journey. It allows me to relive my journey while sitting in my office or at home during the weeks between a trip.
Others who can not every get out on adventures need some sort of exposure to what they dream about doing....Watching others is a good way to do that. If they didn't want to be followed, they wouldn't put themselves out there.

I follow 2-3 hikers a year walk north. Have only ever watched 1 sobo and that was john Z as he made a mad dash down the AT after his CDT thru.

This year I am watching Frozen, underdog(second year), Craig mains(3rd thru on a yoyo), and the second chance hiker on the PCT.
There is another PCT hiker ill follow this year when he starts as well as there is Artemis on the AT but she is quite annoying and don't watch all her videos. Just curious how far she will make it.

Crushed Grapes
03-04-2019, 17:17

Most people I've spoken to the last few years that post to IG back-date their info. I'm leaving Springer in a week, that's what I plan on doing.

Also, last I checked, #500 left today to head North. Not sure how that ranks with previous years?

Slo-go'en
03-04-2019, 18:23
Most people I've spoken to the last few years that post to IG back-date their info. I'm leaving Springer in a week, that's what I plan on doing.

Also, last I checked, #500 left today to head North. Not sure how that ranks with previous years?

That's a lot for March 4th. Finding a tent spot in GA right now must be a challenge.

But if a Trail Journals entry I read yesterday is any indication, many of the February starters have already bailed.

4eyedbuzzard
03-04-2019, 20:04
That's a lot for March 4th. Finding a tent spot in GA right now must be a challenge.

But if a Trail Journals entry I read yesterday is any indication, many of the February starters have already bailed.Read a few journal entries. Seems that quite a few hikers that started in mid-Feb have been taking multiple zeros due to weather this year with many not even near GSMNP yet. On that note, GSMNP will get single digit / low teens overnight with 20-30mph winds at higher elevations Tues night thru Thurs morning. C-c-c-COLD - but clear. So if their gear is dry and they have proper winter bag and clothing, there is good hiking conditions to be had. Better 0° and dry than 30°'s and wet.

Slo-go'en
03-04-2019, 20:15
Yeah, I pity anyone in the Smokies about now. Wind chills of -13 for a few days, more coming snow late in the week. Probably be real icy too with the recent rain/snow/whatever coming out of the sky.

But it was a real nice day to snowshoe around here today as the storm wound down. 4-6" of new snow and 3-5 feet on the ground. Gonna be a tad chilly in these parts the next few days too.

LazyLightning
03-04-2019, 21:33

last year on March 9th at about 11am I was #812 to leave Amicalola heading north.... but remember, there could be just as many people starting at Springer that the number doesn't count. That said, finding a tent spot was never difficult for me but a shelter sure would have been if that's what I wanted. I also set up early so tent spots by a shelter would be harder to come by the later it got but plenty of stealth spots down south.

Emerson Bigills
03-04-2019, 22:37
The year before I set out on my NOBO thru, I did a "Cyber Hike". It sounds very geeky, but I think it actually helped me understand the trail and what I might experience. I kept a spreadsheet and entered my starting point, ending point, weather, temp high and low, and mileage each day. I took the forecast from the website that gives weather for each shelter on the AT. I would go over the section of trail for the day in AWOL's guide and combine the elevation and weather to determine how far I might hike that day.

I got pretty familiar with the shelters and the overall layout of the trail. Each night I would come in and make my entries for the day. Clearly, I did not follow the "Cyber" plan on my actual hike, but I reached Harper's Ferry only one day before my spreadsheet had me there. It was amazing how many shelters I actually stayed at that were on my Cyber plan. I gave up the cyber planning effort when I got into VT, as I figured by then way too many other factors would come into play.

I really enjoyed doing this for over 3 months as I was pretty excited about preparing for the hike. The chart helped me understand what types of temps I might deal with and also the patterns that weather could take. Even though I was leaving in late Feb, the coldest temps I tracked actually occurred in SW VA, long after I would have expected. It was an eye opener for me. it helped me understand my sleeping system and clothing needs.

Newt0556
03-05-2019, 01:25

+1 I never let anyone know where im at but I dont do the social media crap either. Now if we had some hotties waiting at trail heads like rock star bands do ummm might be a different story.

globetruck
03-07-2019, 09:01
The year before I set out on my NOBO thru, I did a "Cyber Hike". It sounds very geeky, but I think it actually helped me understand the trail and what I might experience. I kept a spreadsheet and entered my starting point, ending point, weather, temp high and low, and mileage each day. I took the forecast from the website that gives weather for each shelter on the AT. I would go over the section of trail for the day in AWOL's guide and combine the elevation and weather to determine how far I might hike that day.

I got pretty familiar with the shelters and the overall layout of the trail. Each night I would come in and make my entries for the day. Clearly, I did not follow the "Cyber" plan on my actual hike, but I reached Harper's Ferry only one day before my spreadsheet had me there. It was amazing how many shelters I actually stayed at that were on my Cyber plan. I gave up the cyber planning effort when I got into VT, as I figured by then way too many other factors would come into play.

I really enjoyed doing this for over 3 months as I was pretty excited about preparing for the hike. The chart helped me understand what types of temps I might deal with and also the patterns that weather could take. Even though I was leaving in late Feb, the coldest temps I tracked actually occurred in SW VA, long after I would have expected. It was an eye opener for me. it helped me understand my sleeping system and clothing needs.

Pretty cool idea - I love planning my hikes almost as much as I like hiking them. There’s something about gear, maps, and weather forecasts. I enjoy watching various hiker videos of trails I’m planning on hiking, and like you I also learn some valuable information in the process.

FreeGoldRush
04-15-2019, 00:16
...as well as there is Artemis on the AT but she is quite annoying and don't watch all her videos. Just curious how far she will make it.
"ScoutMaster OnTheAT" just put up a video extremely critical of Artemis. His harsh comments of a fellow hiker are really unusual among the widely viewed YouTube hiking vlogs. He does raise some valid points. I'm only bringing this up because both of these hikers have a good sized fan base.

D2maine
04-15-2019, 05:48
"ScoutMaster OnTheAT" just put up a video extremely critical of Artemis. His harsh comments of a fellow hiker are really unusual among the widely viewed YouTube hiking vlogs. He does raise some valid points. I'm only bringing this up because both of these hikers have a good sized fan base.

just an fyi she was on wb and acted the same way ended up changing her user name and deleting some posts

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/130804-2019-Thru-Hike-Registry?p=2228135&viewfull=1#post2228135

cep
04-15-2019, 10:01
Well, just an FYI, I’ve actually met her and talked to her and she struck me as a really nice and level-headed person. It is depressing, but predictably InterWebs, to hear the crap people have put out about her without knowing her at all and she’s doing a grand job of not letting it get her down.

ldsailor
04-15-2019, 12:27
Woah! He really laid into her didn't he?! I guess he didn't like being called a troll, but he makes some valid points just the same. If she is yellow blazing it, she should be honest with her followers expecially in light of what appears to be endorsement deals she has (based upon what ScoutMaster OnTheAT says).

When I did my first LASH in 2016, there was a young woman hiking with a big "support" dog. She changed her trail name a number of times, but the last one I heard was Cosmo for cosmopolitan. She carried this big case of makeup and applied it daily, but I digress. She yellow blazed. It was funny because she would show up ahead of hikers and no one saw her pass. I was and still am a slow hiker and never saw her pass me. Anyway, the last time I saw her was at the NOC. I'm guessing she went home from there.

The thing is, the long distance hikers out there now definitely know whether Artemis is yellow blazing or not.

RuthN
04-15-2019, 13:02
This was the moment she lost me: https://youtu.be/GacH0_ShJIo?t=226 . How miraculous that she burst out sobbing perfectly in frame. (It was a funny story and I would have enjoyed it without the contrived crying.)

These thru-hiking vloggers really inflame passions. Many fans won't allow any criticism of their favorites, making a rational discussion of their flaws and merits impossible.

I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a living, but Scoutmaster is right that she owes it to her financial supporters to be transparent and honest. Authenticity and honesty are what make or break vloggers, whether it's having bathroom accidents or crying from fatigue or wanting to quit or just being plain scared. Without those qualities, Artemis will lose fans.

Now here is the most entertaining vlog this year - I'm waiting for their next video to find out if they're really hauling 150 pounds of gear between them or they've severely punked their viewership. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGFX0k3Kvt0

D2maine
04-15-2019, 16:34
Well, just an FYI, I’ve actually met her and talked to her and she struck me as a really nice and level-headed person. It is depressing, but predictably InterWebs, to hear the crap people have put out about her without knowing her at all and she’s doing a grand job of not letting it get her down.

good i hope she makes it!

FreeGoldRush
04-15-2019, 18:18
good i hope she makes it!
Just yesterday in her latest video she said she would never remove user comments. Today she has removed all comments. The day before she redefined "yellow blazing" and insisted she didn't do that based on her new meaning, yet she skipped about 100 miles of the trail. HYOH. But if you are going to get all emotional at the 400 mile mark it would have been appropriate to tell people about the skipped miles. She only admitted to the 100 skipped miles after the "trolls" pointed it out. She then banned them.

Sure, I hope she makes it too. But I hike to get away from such low integrity people.

SkeeterPee
04-16-2019, 14:21
I was watching her and wincing at times. She's on her 3rd tent. I am guessing product placement has something to do with, but if not she's spending a lot on the tents. I dropped her now and I see she stopped showing how man subscribers she has. Maybe she's losing too many. I also hope she makes it all the way, but I am sure it will be too much drama the whole way for me to enjoy watching it.

Astro
04-16-2019, 14:39
Just yesterday in her latest video she said she would never remove user comments. Today she has removed all comments. The day before she redefined "yellow blazing" and insisted she didn't do that based on her new meaning, yet she skipped about 100 miles of the trail. HYOH. But if you are going to get all emotional at the 400 mile mark it would have been appropriate to tell people about the skipped miles. She only admitted to the 100 skipped miles after the "trolls" pointed it out. She then banned them.

Sure, I hope she makes it too. But I hike to get away from such low integrity people.

So I assume "she makes it" includes going back and picking up those skipped 100 miles.

stephanD
04-16-2019, 17:10
Last year we had an excellent batch of AT vloggers; scoutmaster (my favorite), Evan (the guy with the tarp and sandals), hot sauce (the kid who hiked 24 hours straight), and many more. This year, not so much. So far, i'm watching only Second Chance, but he's on the PCT. I started to watch this lady out of curiosity, but i got off pretty fast.

T.S.Kobzol
04-16-2019, 17:41
I checked her out about a month ago and felt big character wobbles so I did not subscribe. Then youtube feeds me her videos from time to time and I see her doing tent “review” ? I mean one has to have some experience first to produce a credible review and she is fake so there is my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve_zavocki
04-16-2019, 17:57
I was really impressed by the quality of Artemis's videos at first and I thought she had a compelling story. A month ago, I was watching one of her videos with my 10 year old daughter and she gets to the NC/GA sign and pulls this stunt where she curses Georgia and dances around giving it the middle finger. That behavior totally surprised me and I quickly shut it down after that.

I guess I think love it, or leave it. I hope **everyone** who tries makes it, but I doubt she will, and if that happens there will be no explanation. Scoutmaster makes several good points about her in his rebuttal, and he is trustworthy to me.

This year my favorites are Craig Mains and Outdoor Adventures. I also am watching Second Chance on the PCT.

HooKooDooKu
04-16-2019, 19:01
A month ago, I was watching one of her videos with my 10 year old daughter and she gets to the NC/GA sign and pulls this stunt where she curses Georgia and dances around giving it the middle finger.
When I saw that video, half of me was laughing out loud, and half of me was saying to myself "If it's that #@m* bad, why are you out there?"

baldknobber
04-18-2019, 20:52
Well, looks like Artemis deleted her YouTube content, and disabled her channel. Seems kinda drastic because of an alleged “troll”. Thou doth protest too much comes to mind...

4eyedbuzzard
04-18-2019, 21:20
Well, looks like Artemis deleted her YouTube content, and disabled her channel. Seems kinda drastic because of an alleged “troll”. Thou doth protest too much comes to mind...Nah. All the videos are still at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClx9DNY2j1X-r-BKnzePfYA/videos Comments, however, are disabled.