PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried HH AUTOMATIC FLY TENSIONER AND WATER COLLECTION SYSTEM

johnnyblisters
02-25-2006, 02:13
I sleep in a homemade speer type hammock with a homemade silnylon 8x8 tarp. Has anyone tried a water collection system like this durring a storm? If so, what were the results??? Im thinkin about picking these bad boys up and wanted a second opinion.
peace
-milkman

Seeker
02-26-2006, 02:24
i've not been back to the HH website in quite some time, but a year or so ago, they were advertising these water collection/tensioner things as 'available soon'... so they're available now?

however, after looking at the state of my tarp, and the bird poop and pollen that collects on it after a day or two out, i'm not sure i'd want to be drinking the water that comes off it... but that's just me... yes, it could be purified, but then what was the point of the collection system?

anyway, just my 2cents...

Just Jeff
02-26-2006, 02:28
You can pitch your tarp high, and it automatically lowers as the water weight fills the bottles. Plus it may save you a trip to the water source.

But I'm with you on the bird poop thing...it's an interesting idea, but I'll probably pass on this one.

Cheesewhiz
02-26-2006, 03:40
I agree on the bird poop, pollen, tree sap, and just dirt that collects on your tarp. I prefer the jacks r better tarp tensioners. You can also make them yourself very easily.

Aramis
03-22-2006, 22:10
I've used water from a tent fly a few times when stuck in a waterless area in a storm. Given the option of walking to a water source in the rain or grabbing some off the fly without getting wet, I for one will take it off the fly :)

I once spent three days on an island in Bathurst Harbour (SW Tasmania). No water at all and wind to 80 knots. The water off the pyramid tarp I was using tasted wonderful. :p

joec
03-28-2006, 15:03
I think I would still want to run it through my filter, poop or not.

rambunny
03-28-2006, 15:16
Attaching ziplocks to the end of branches sounds cleaner-how about your cooking pot outside? In 7000 miles i collected rainwateronce from a shelter roof,don't give it too much thought

SuperTroll
04-06-2006, 09:45
I use a cheap aluminum keychain carabiner to hook my nalgene bottle to the corner of the fly, water fills the bottle quickly, with no need for the Hennessey Collection funnel (It will have use for those of you who use the commercial plastic water bottes, the bottles screw into them and they provide a funnel shape to collect the water).

As for fly tensioners, I've been using small bungee cords (3MM) that keep the tarp tight, wind rain, snow, no problems...