PDA

View Full Version : Kayaking on the East Coast

PoppaZ
02-25-2006, 08:01
Although this isn't exactly a trail I was wondering if anyone had expierence kayaking on the east coast of New England, around RI and CT, in the summer.
I have a pair of sea kayaks that I'd love to take on an extended journey.

Thanks

MOWGLI
02-25-2006, 08:26
Although this isn't exactly a trail I was wondering if anyone had expierence kayaking on the east coast of New England, around RI and CT, in the summer.

Thanks
That would be an awesome trip. One of my favorite places in the world is Napatree Point at the RI/CT border - right near Watch Hill Lighthouse. There are some treacherous currents there, but that's what brings the big Striped Bass & Bluefish around, which is what initially brought me there.

I'd go if I could, but I can't so I shan't. Have a good time if you take the trip, and don't forget to explore the RI salt ponds and Narraganssett Bay. Bring a flyrod if you can.

Tha Wookie
02-25-2006, 11:08

Thanks

You should get in touch with Al Lepage at www.coasttrails.org (http://www.coasttrails.org) the eastern kayak trail is something they have been researching for their idea to make a trail that encircles the country.

They helped Island Mama and I tremendously to reseach our west coast trail walk. The eastern counterpart is mostly a kayak trail as I understand.

good luck!

weary
02-25-2006, 14:34
Thanks
A bit further north is the Maine Island Trail, a 325-mile route along the coast of Maine. The link below publishes a guide book and maps showing camping spots on islands on the trail, one of which is located a half mile down a tidal estuary from my house.

http://www.mita.org

Weary

Seeker
02-26-2006, 02:14
this isn't exactly what you asked for, but it's another option... hope you don't mind.

upstate new york, in the adirondacks, has tons of lakes, many of them connected by small rivers/streams... you can also circum-paddle saranac lake or raquette lake and spend a long time doing it... the fulton chain lakes (start at old forge/eagle bay area) are another popular trip with short portages... my only experience kayaking was a three-day/two overnight trip at the Sabatis Scout Camp in the Adirondacks, but i loved it... again, not sure that's what you were looking for, but since i personally don't really like visiting the ocean that much, and would rather do lakes and rivers, i thought i'd share it...

totempole99
02-26-2006, 02:31
If you have serious aspirations to do an extended trip, you may try to contact John Latecki Jr. In the past he has done an 1,800 mile trip, and is currently taking a break from a four/five year 30,000 mile trip to raise awareness for MS. Only reason I’ve heard of him is because he was caught in a hurricane in 04 and a family from my town took him until it passed. He could probably tell you anything you wanted to know about it.