PDA

View Full Version : A present to myself MSR pocket rocket deluxe

Newt0556
03-07-2019, 21:26
Stopped by REI since dividends are out bought a couple things but the main one was the new pocket rocket deluxe stove. Decided I try it been looking for a stove that could simmer for cooking. Tried it as soon as I got home lite the first push of the pizzo. I had a little wind, damp and around 58 degrees. No issues with wind that little windscreen thing works. I boiled 2 cups of water with no trouble then on to see how well it simmers. I cooked up some hash browns and a couple eggs with no problems. If I get a chance this weekend I will test it with some half filled and almost empty cans of fuel to see how it does. Might even hook up a full can and see how long of a burn time i get at full blast. It does set a little higher over the fuel canister. I might buy one of those stabilizers for the fuel canisters just to help with stability. AS of now I think that MSR hit it out of the park on this one. But time will tell.

Starchild
03-08-2019, 10:13
Congrats and enjoy. MSR should be a high quality product and hoping it gives years of enjoyment and a solid build dependable feel to it.

peakbagger
03-08-2019, 11:08
It looks like an improvement but I still think it needs a hanging windscreen like I and others have posted over the years. it would be interesting to do a cook off between the original with windscreen and new deluxe without. I expect the results may be the same.

Gambit McCrae
03-08-2019, 12:25
Newt is your username lonesome dove based?

Venchka
03-08-2019, 18:12
What is Deluxe about this stove versus the Pocket Rocket 2? What does the extra $20 get you?
Wayne

TNhiker
03-08-2019, 18:28
What is Deluxe about this stove versus the Pocket Rocket 2? What does the extra $20 get you?
Wayne

on just a brief look-------the lighter thingy mabobber.......

OCDave
03-08-2019, 22:07
Wayne

In addition to the igniter, it appears to have a new burner design.

I like my MSR stoves but, $70 for a Pocket Rocket ... even spending dividend dollars seems too much.

Newt0556
03-09-2019, 06:08
Well it lets you cook/simmer for one thing. And that was a major reason I got it. The new valve/regulator whatever it is called allows it to keep a constant flame when low on fuel/ cold weather. I hope to test that this weekend. The little windscreen seems to work and it is suppose to use less fuel. And it has a pizzo lighter but ive never had one of those last long. It is also a little quieter then the other pocket rockets. We will see how it does so far I like it. Yes the price is a little steep. It is sorta like the soto americus stove which I almost bought before I saw that msr was introducing this one. I walked out with a stove, shirt, and a pair of socks for $7 and change. I think this is the least I have gotten out of rei for ever.

My name on here is a call sign I use at work. Long very Long story.

johnacraft
03-09-2019, 10:54
Wayne

It's a totally different burner design, and resembles the Soto Windmaster.

bighammer
03-09-2019, 15:34
New and improved. :sun

It does look like a much better burner, plus the ignition. (with a better protected wire)

Venchka
03-09-2019, 15:42
Thanks everyone!
I think I’ll be happy with what I have.
Wayne

SWODaddy
03-09-2019, 22:51
It's a totally different burner design, and resembles the Soto Windmaster.

I think it IS a Soto stove. The gas valve is a dead giveaway. I'd be shocked if it wasn't either made under license or by Soto altogether.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-09-2019, 23:14
not a fan of built-in ignition. Just a part to break, and I carry a lighter anyway.

pettas
03-11-2019, 11:03
Agree on not being a fan of built-in ignition. The one MSR stove I have with it, the ignition feature had a very short life; maybe two trips. I don't abuse my equipment so I was a bit surprised when it happened. I probably could have taken the stove back but other than that, it worked/works fine so I just light it with a small BIC. Not a big issue but still annoying since it cost more up front.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Starchild
03-11-2019, 12:44
I like the push button and find I use it often on my Jetboil and $10 or so Chinese knockoff of this type of stove. It's a connivence thing that I could do without but appreciate it when it's there. It has been dependable but i understand I am lucky.

bighammer
03-16-2019, 21:17
I was poking around on Amazon and decided to give one of these less expensive burners a try. For $15 and only 25 grams of weight, it might be very handy to have for shorter outings. Looking forward to picking up some fuel and trying it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758RNYT8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dogwood
03-17-2019, 16:34
Well it lets you cook/simmer for one thing. And that was a major reason I got it. The new valve/regulator whatever it is called allows it to keep a constant flame when low on fuel/ cold weather. I hope to test that this weekend. The little windscreen seems to work and it is suppose to use less fuel. And it has a pizzo lighter but ive never had one of those last long. It is also a little quieter then the other pocket rockets. We will see how it does so far I like it. Yes the price is a little steep.
Cooking and simmering on low fuel/cold weather with the previous Pocket Rocket and PR 2 at half the price was capable. Others did it. I did it. Not hard! It's a bit of marketing.
1) fuel constituents and ratios played a big role 2) elevation played a role 3), temp of the fuel, 4), 5),.....

Much of the using less stove fuel and related stove performance analysis is motivated by anal wt saving tinkering...as the OP and others have mentioned was one of their concerns. If one wants to save kit wt, more specifically consumable wt., and be less 'fuel' consuming, perhaps the major foci should be food and water? That's offered as an observation as one inclined to be an anal wt saver.

Using less fuel and stove performance has gone deep down the rabbit hole abyss.

It's a subset of over focusing on and over analyzing gear.

Observations of a recovering shopaholic, spendthrift, uber consumer, gear junkie, materialist, time mis-manager, and myopic neophyte ULer. :D

TwigBoy
03-17-2019, 20:47
I was looking at this newer model stove as it seems that the thru hikers I see blogging are using the compressed gas stoves like this. I sold my last standard model pocket rocket one because I was gifted an whisperlite int’l 600 stove 9 months ago. I used compressed gas stoves forever so I thought I’d give the whisperlite a try. Same company so that’s not an issue. I have nothing against the pocket rocket, I just want to try something different that also has high- ratings