PDA

View Full Version : Hanging wet socks on pack to dry

seakayaker
03-09-2019, 08:42
I've often seen it mentioned that it's a good idea to hang wet socks on your pack to dry.

Does anyone have recommendations about good clips or other devices to use to accomplish this?

Seakayaker

SouthMark
03-09-2019, 08:45
Safety pins.

Puddlefish
03-09-2019, 09:54
Yep, big old safety pins.

ALLEGHENY
03-09-2019, 10:07
I've often seen it mentioned that it's a good idea to hang wet socks on your pack to dry.

Does anyone have recommendations about good clips or other devices to use to accomplish this?

Seakayaker

Twelve inches or so of paracord.

Running bowline on one end and a buntline hitch on the other.

Or use what ever knots you prefer.

Learn some knots and keep in practice.

Tie your pairs of socks together and when doing group laundry at hostel they are easy to reclaim.

rmitchell
03-09-2019, 10:11
Might be best to run safety pin through pack strap instead of pack body. Like Puddlefish said use big ones, those intended for diapers. Decorative ducky heads optional.

ScottTrip
03-09-2019, 10:17
Yep, get the diaper pins ..

Puddlefish
03-09-2019, 10:22
Might be best to run safety pin through pack strap instead of pack body. Like Puddlefish said use big ones, those intended for diapers. Decorative ducky heads optional.

I didn't even think of getting the ones with decorative ducky heads! Genius!

jimmyjam
03-09-2019, 10:34
safety pins

MuddyWaters
03-09-2019, 10:51
Safety pins
All you need is 1.5-2"

beefsmack
03-09-2019, 11:22
+1 on what everyone else said. I run the pins through the sock but just put the pin "around a strap" small enough to go inside the hole of the pin itself. If that makes sense....kinda hard to explain.

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2019, 12:35
Search amazon for baby safety pins or blanket pins. You can buy huge ones that are used for horse blankets and such, but they would be overkill. 2" ones will work fine.

Venchka
03-09-2019, 15:35
If your pack has daisy chains or some other type of strap anchors as my packs have...
Velcro cable ties leftover from getting all of my cables under control.
Wayne

lonehiker
03-09-2019, 16:35
Why fiddle with something else? Simply use straps on your pack.

Venchka
03-09-2019, 18:23
My question is why did this question need asking? It does seem rather obvious.
One of my backpacks has compression straps. The perfect place for attaching wet laundry.
Cheers Y’all.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
03-09-2019, 20:29
They can be the same safety pins you use to stretch that blaze orange bandana across your pack in hunting season.

lonehiker
03-09-2019, 21:05
One of my backpacks has compression straps. The perfect place for attaching wet laundry.
Cheers Y’all.
Wayne

Why take a second pair of socks to wear? You end up having two stinking pairs of socks and on occasion both pairs are wet. I take 2 pairs of socks total. One to sleep in that is always dry and one pair that I wear that is always wet to some degree be it from rain, wet trail, or sweat.

AllDownhillFromHere
03-09-2019, 23:15
Safety pins.
Over in 1.

Heliotrope
03-10-2019, 00:53
Cheers Y’all.
Wayne

Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draggin
03-10-2019, 07:27
I use baby diaper pins they don't have any sharp edges to catch things like regular safety pins. I always secure anything that could fall off with them.

Five Tango
03-10-2019, 07:57
I put my wet socks in my slash pockets on my pants to let body heat dry them out.Liners go in the back pockets.
A small mesh bag tied to the back of the pack is also convenient and doesn't weigh much.

Furlough
03-10-2019, 11:48
Wayne
Perhaps because one size does not fit all in terms of how folks choose to manage their hike, as evidenced by the folks who replied in the affirmative IRT safety pins.

Dogwood
03-10-2019, 18:58

Cheers Y’all.
Wayne

It's also obvious my socks tend to cost between $10-20/pr and I haven't yet hit the lottery. :) It's also obvious I've lost a sock or two using one safety pin or compression strap. Use both. I'll use a smallish brass or stainless safety pin maybe even two through a webbing strap and put the sock behind a compression strap. If I lose safety pins I'll dry in the shovel pocket and at a stop dry more on a sunny rock. Damp socks can also be worn to dry through body heat facilitated when footwear are quick drying H2O low absorbing and the socks are of appropriate wt wicking merino. Drying apparel by wearing can be great way to dry damp stuff. On a hot sunny day through evaporative cooling it might be appreciated. Change out before the apparel gets sweaty. The stainless and brass don't leave rust holes. :D:)

fastfoxengineering
03-10-2019, 20:03
You guys still use socks?

Sandals are for the real hikers.

I've never lost a sock using compression straps. But it does give me anxiety lol. Im waiting for the day they dissapear.

I'm experimenting with different socks nowadays. I like DT merino. But once theyre wet... theyre wet till laundy day.

I'm gonna experiment with thin nylon for LD hiking.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Dogwood
03-10-2019, 22:18
Like yeahh man ah sandals are where its at. Yo sandals R righteous bro. ;)

Kerosene
03-11-2019, 10:00
Why fiddle with something else? Simply use straps on your pack.This is what I always have done. Of course, there's always the risk that you don't secure the sock tightly enough under a strap, but I never lost a sock that way in 3000 miles of section hiking.

ChrisMek
03-11-2019, 12:10
I forgot to buy safety pins my first time out, so in a pinch i grabbed a couple binder clips on my way out the door. They are still on my pack for the sole purpose of hanging my wet socks.

Old Grouse
03-11-2019, 14:09
This could be a fertile new area for Dutchware.

QiWiz
03-12-2019, 08:45
I use large brass safety pins. Have never lost a sock.

John B
03-12-2019, 09:00
I use large safety pins to 'hang' wet clothes from while hiking, but I've come to the conclusion that nothing gets dry in the mountains. When I wash out socks, etc. at the end of the day and 'hang' them overnight and from my pack the following day, they may be less wet by the end of the day, but not dry.

For the record, I nearly always hike the AT in spring and fall, so perhaps the humidity is too high. Also, I wear SmartWool or Wigwam socks.

Mouser999
03-12-2019, 11:43
if you go to a store that sells fabrics , look for large dress pins. Just like safety pins but much larger and stronger