PDA

View Full Version : how does an underquilt work with a bottom entrance hh?

toeknee
02-25-2006, 18:31
I have a HH asym and am very interested in buying an underquilt but cannot picture how one gets into the hammock with an underquilt. Is there something i'm just not getting or are there specific underquilts for the hh?

txulrich
02-25-2006, 18:47
It hangs on an elastic suspension system. You merely push it out of the way, climb in and it goes right back into position.

toeknee
02-25-2006, 18:53
so a peapod (like the one ncmts is selling) will work fine?

Hana_Hanger
02-25-2006, 18:53
I asked this same question once...it puzzled me as well.

Since the underquilts are attached with a shockcord type elastic cording it simply pushes to the side...climb in and it snaps back in place..or you can reach out and grab it and reposition where you need it.

Some come with slits to match the HH and some do not...either way it will work :)

xXIndyXx
02-25-2006, 18:58
It hangs on an elastic suspension system. You merely push it out of the way, climb in and it goes right back into position.

txulrich is right.

I have the HH supershelter under pad. The foam pad has 4 places that attach it to the hammock. 1 long elastic cord on each end that hook on the same hooks the tarp connects to. Then 1 elastic hoop on each side that the guylines for the hammock thread through. The pad its self only overlaps the hammock opening by a couple of inches (at least the way I set it up).

The nylon undercover is set up the same way as the underpad and has an elastic opening mirroring the hammocks opening.

I really hope this made sense...................it probably, did'nt.

Hana_Hanger
02-25-2006, 19:04
The Peapod is a little different it completely fits around the whole hammock like a sleeping bag.
It has drawstring closures at each end and velcro the full length of the center
this will NOT work with a HH but regular hammocks or Speer hammocks it will.

Just Jeff
02-25-2006, 19:06
A PeaPod will only work on a top entry hammock like a Speer. It won't work on a Hennessy. JRB and KAQ are the only ones for sale that'll work on a Hennessy.

toeknee
02-25-2006, 19:07
ok one last question. i remember reading a post from a guy who made and sold his own underquilts that looked awesome and were less expensive than brand name alternatives. i can't find a link to his site. if anyone could point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it, i made plans to camp for a weekend over spring break in west virginia and don't think my ****ty coleman bag is gonna do the trick on those chilly near freezing nights.

Just Jeff
02-25-2006, 19:15
That's Patrick at KAQ: http://ww.kickassquilts.com. He posts here pretty often.

Here's my KAQ page if you're interested: http://www.tothewoods.net/GearTestKAQ.html

napster
02-25-2006, 20:22
I purchase the HH SS "less the over tarp" and the elastic broke after three nites. I used the blue foam pad one nite then the thermarest the next and finally the big agnes float pad in a 35* bag. I still froze my azz off and still am tring to get a hold of someone to honor the warrenty.Its been less then a year.I got one e-mail after several attemps to get hold of someone and when I e-mail and called them back via phone I find Im still left with a broke product.

Just Jeff
02-25-2006, 20:45
Did you use those pads between the hammock and undercover? Did the bigger pads put extra stress on the elastics?

Not saying he shouldn't honor the warranty...just trying to figure out what happened.

xXIndyXx
02-26-2006, 00:47
I purchase the HH SS "less the over tarp" and the elastic broke after three nites. I used the blue foam pad one nite then the thermarest the next and finally the big agnes float pad in a 35* bag. I still froze my azz off and still am tring to get a hold of someone to honor the warrenty.Its been less then a year.I got one e-mail after several attemps to get hold of someone and when I e-mail and called them back via phone I find Im still left with a broke product.

Give us some details. Did you have too much tension on the elastic. That could easily break the cord once you put body weight on it.

I use mine w/ the underpad and a fleece blanket between the udercover and hammock, no problems.

Patrick
02-26-2006, 01:02
Thanks, Jeff.

toeknee, I get asked this question quite a bit. As others have said, getting in and out is no problem. The underquilt snaps easily back into place after getting in. After doing it a couple of times, you won't even think about it anymore.

Smee
02-26-2006, 15:12
Some of us get in through the slit in the under quilt that matches the hammock entrance slit.

napster
02-27-2006, 16:17
Did you use those pads between the hammock and undercover? Did the bigger pads put extra stress on the elastics?

Not saying he shouldn't honor the warranty...just trying to figure out what happened.

I used the pads "One at a time" directly under my bag inside the hammock.

Just Jeff
02-27-2006, 16:52
Hrm...any idea what caused the elastic to fail then?

Hammock Hanger
02-27-2006, 19:23
Some of us get in through the slit in the under quilt that matches the hammock entrance slit.

I get in the same way but have much nicer legs...:D

peter_pan
02-27-2006, 21:16
I get in the same way but have much nicer legs...:D

Hey,hey,hey,hey..... be nice 'bout them legs...:D

Pan

Seeker
02-28-2006, 11:55
I have a HH asym and am very interested in buying an underquilt but cannot picture how one gets into the hammock with an underquilt. Is there something i'm just not getting or are there specific underquilts for the hh?

the JRB quilt is slit halfway up from the foot end... it either velcros on top of the HH slit velcro, or you can velcro it to itself and push it out of the way to get it... it's warmer that way, if you need it to be. it snaps right back into place once you're in... either way, the answer to your question is "it works great!"