PDA

View Full Version : Lodging Advice - NC - Deep Gap to NOC

Bschrock82
03-11-2019, 11:38
Hello all,
Trying to book some things for my 3rd leg of the AT in June. We are picking up at Deep Gap and going to end at the NOC.

We rent a car in St. Louis and drop off in Franklin, NC. Then shuttle with Ron to Deep Gap.

Need advice on best options for when we arrive at the NOC. We only need a hotel or cabin for 1 night. I have an option for one of the Nantahala Cabins, and they'll shuttle us from NOC. Haven't booked yet so hoping for advice. Not too concerned about price, just want to have a nice place to stay on the last night and some good food. Is staying in Bryson City a better option?

Also have to get back to the Enterprise in Sylva to pick up our return home rental.

Thoughts or suggestions are very much welcomed!

Thanks,
Brian

MuddyWaters
03-11-2019, 12:16
50 miles

Leave car at noc and shuttle to deep gap

Your creating problems and expense not having a vehicle at end point. The shuttles will cost as much. Stay wherever you want then.

You lose atmosphere of being on vacation if you go to town the night after finish. Honestly, i love the feel of fontana village. Good hotel, good food.

But, gps dont work good on those roads in tight mountains, so a lot to be said for just getting to major highway while daylight, and stop a few hundred mi later.

Slo-go'en
03-11-2019, 12:25
The restaurant at NOC is pretty good. They also offer lodging. If you leave your car at NOC there are several options near-by, or you can start on your way home and find a place somewhere along the way.

Bschrock82
03-11-2019, 12:38
Great advice! Saves us substantial costs returning a rental out of state and just makes life easier! Thank you!

Jeff
03-13-2019, 10:22
Check out Nantahala Lodge, one of the cleanest AT lodging options in that area...and they shuttle too.

https://www.northcarolinalogcabin.rentals/at-trail.html

capehiker
03-13-2019, 21:51
I had to get off trail at NOC and spent two days in Bryson City. I loved it and basically ate my way through the town. There’s a list of local shuttle drivers at the outfitters that will take you into Bryson City. It’s not really a hitchable route but it’s a great town if you can get into it.