PDA

View Full Version : Throw Bag Material?

Time Zone
03-13-2019, 21:02
At the risk of asking a question that is akin to, "What diesel truck is healthiest for the environment", here goes.

With respect to hanging your food bag PCT-style, what material is a good, durable one for the throw bag, particularly when the odds of it landing on a rock are pretty good?

Yesterday I had occasion to do a PCT-style food bag hang, and after some fits and starts, got what I think was a particularly good hang (as these things go). Quite a bit of luck involved in finding an ideal branch in the area. However, leading up to finding that branch, I made some failed throws at other locations, and once at the final location. At least once the throw bag landed on a rock, and I came back with a small hole in it.*

I was using one of those roll-top waterproof bags, pretty cheap ones (Outdoor Products, WM), polyurethane coated ripstop, it appears. Not a big loss, and even probably fixable to an extent.

Wondering if there's a better material to be using for a throw bag. Seemed silly in retrospect to sacrifice a waterproof stuff sack for this, but I'm not sure if there's a cheaper and more durable option. Any suggestions? Thanks.

*I think the abrasion came from the ground (outside the throw bag), since it bag had a fist-sized rock in it wrapped up in a rag and put in a ziplock so it wouldn't roll out of the rag easily. The ziplock was not punctured.

CalebJ
03-13-2019, 21:05
Any small mesh pouch capable of holding a moderately sized rock is perfectly adequate. No need for a solid material. I use the same mesh bag that holds the rope itself.

skater
03-13-2019, 21:09
I use cordura. Might be heavier than needed, but small enough to make little difference and will last for ages.

Time Zone
03-13-2019, 21:31
I use cordura. Might be heavier than needed, but small enough to make little difference and will last for ages.
I thought about cordura, as it was a preferred material for motorcycle riding gear when I was in my "ATGATT" days. Where does one buy cordura bags, or did you just make yours? Curious. Thanks - TZ

MuddyWaters
03-13-2019, 21:47
I have several.
Who cares if it gets a little hole in it.
And it doesn't need to be big
If it holds a golf ball sized rock or a little bigger that's plenty.

the one I prefer is my little z-pack line sack made of cuben

Another good free one, is the little plastic mesh sacks that garlic comes in at the grocery store. That was not real durable though.

Slo-go'en
03-13-2019, 22:19
I use my 20 oz soda bottle about 1/4 full of water. Guaranteed never to snag and always come down. You need pretty thin cord to tie around the neck though.

Still, it always takes 3-4 tries, it never goes the way I want it to go.

RangerZ
03-13-2019, 22:21
I have several.
Who cares if it gets a little hole in it.
And it doesn't need to be big
If it holds a golf ball sized rock or a little bigger that's plenty.

the one I prefer is my little z-pack line sack made of cuben

Another good free one, is the little plastic mesh sacks that garlic comes in at the grocery store. That was not real durable though.

+1 on the garlic bag. I also had the rock inside part of a plastic bag (I think to protect from abrasion).

Worked for my southern half hike last year and using it for the rest of the way this year.

I’ve carried that rock from Pittsburgh to GA and back to PA.

4eyedbuzzard
03-14-2019, 06:20
+1 on the garlic bag. I also had the rock inside part of a plastic bag (I think to protect from abrasion).

Worked for my southern half hike last year and using it for the rest of the way this year.

I’ve carried that rock from Pittsburgh to GA and back to PA.Hmmm, just makes one wonder if there is a potential market for (UL) rocks for bear bags...
...or bottles: Just fill with water and throw - bag and line included and free shipping for only $9.99 (water not included ...)

Time Zone
03-14-2019, 08:00
Maybe if you're good with cordage and knots, no bag is required? Just wrap the cord around the rock, secure it with a slippery half-hitch, and throw it.

hikermiker
03-14-2019, 08:05
I use either a garlic/shallot bag or a cheapo stuff sack from Walmart.

Slo-go'en
03-14-2019, 09:36
Maybe if you're good with cordage and knots, no bag is required? Just wrap the cord around the rock, secure it with a slippery half-hitch, and throw it.

That rarely works. I once found the perfect rock, fit in the hand nicely, wasn't too heavy or too light and had a dog bone shape so the rope didn't slide off. After I used it I contemplated for a good 2 minutes wondering if I should hold onto that rock. I then came to my senses and tossed it.

The soda bottle trick works much better.

MuddyWaters
03-14-2019, 09:55
1. If you need your flimsy water bottles to hold your water, its foolish to throw them around. Ive had a couple with holes from just 2' fall onto gravel. I baby my water bottles. They are one of the most important gear items.

2. Rock bags can be filled with dirt or gravel when no appropriately sized rocks available, or water.

3. You can stuff line in them , comes out ez and completely tangle free, keeps neatly stored in pack. But its slow . Even wrapping figure 8 introduces twists which cause some misbehavior.

TwoSpirits
03-14-2019, 10:00
I have used the silly little sack that came with my pack cover, mostly because my pack cover was always on my pack and never in that silly little sack....

Puddlefish
03-14-2019, 10:23
I can't see spending money on an item that's eventually going to get stuck in a tree. I actually sewed a tiny throw bag out of spare fabric, which cost me about nothing. When I lost that, I started just wrapping a rock with the end of the cord, reversing the direction of the wind once in a while... sure you'd lose the rock once in a while.

That worked well, until I found a site with exactly one rock and deep leaves. After searching for a rock, a stick, or anything throwable for a bit. I didn't want to risk throwing my water bottle, or fuel bottle, knife, or any other useful piece of gear. I eventually just filled a small ziploc bag with a bit of water and used that.

MtDoraDave
03-14-2019, 10:30
I just tie the cord around the rock.
Perhaps the secret to not having it come loose is to wrap the cord around the rock twice.
I prefer it to be larger than a golf ball, smaller than an orange. It needs to be heavy enough to overcome the friction of the cord sliding over the branch.

It may take a minute longer than just dropping a rock or some sand in a bag...and when fingers are numb, it becomes MUCH more difficult...hey, maybe there's something to this bag trick after all.

One concern: is the bag more likely to snag on things than the rock alone?

TexasBob
03-14-2019, 10:34
1. If you need your flimsy water bottles to hold your water, its foolish to throw them around. Ive had a couple with holes from just 2' fall onto gravel. I baby my water bottles. They are one of the most important gear items........

Good point. Seltzer water bottles are much tougher than regular water bottles because they have to withstand the pressure of a carbonated beverage and the weight difference is negligible. For 60 cents you can get a liter bottle of store brand flavored seltzer at our local store, enjoy the seltzer and have a sturdy water bottle.

RangerZ
03-14-2019, 10:46
I can't see spending money on an item that's eventually going to get stuck in a tree. I actually sewed a tiny throw bag out of spare fabric, which cost me about nothing. When I lost that, I started just wrapping a rock with the end of the cord, reversing the direction of the wind once in a while... sure you'd lose the rock once in a while.
That worked well, until I found a site with exactly one rock and deep leaves. After searching for a rock, a stick, or anything throwable for a bit. I didn't want to risk throwing my water bottle, or fuel bottle, knife, or any other useful piece of gear. I eventually just filled a small ziploc bag with a bit of water and used that.

I used to just tie my line around a rock but then sometimes I’d see the rock go soaring off without the line.

Also, for trails that can be pretty rocky, there wouldn’t be a good rock when I needed it.

Hence, the garlic bag and dedicated rock.

Slo-go'en
03-14-2019, 11:09
1. If you need your flimsy water bottles to hold your water, its foolish to throw them around. Ive had a couple with holes from just 2' fall onto gravel. I baby my water bottles. They are one of the most important gear items.

Plastic water bottles are nearly indestructible. The flimsy ones I suck the air out of them to collapse them and can do that 100's of times. Carbonated soda bottles are equally indestructible.

Don't use a hard plastic bottle like a Nalgene, I've seen plenty of those stuck in trees (plus its the wrong shape), along with knives, carabiners, plenty of rocks, rock bags and assorted hardware. Even a 6" adjustable crescent wrench! Anything small enough to wrap around a branch when you try to pull it down will wrap around that branch or get stuck.

The only incident I've had with the soda bottle was when I missed the branch but nailed by alcohol stove square and flattened it. But the stove worked fine once I uncrunched it.

ldsailor
03-14-2019, 12:01
Never used a throw bag. Tie paracord around a rock and throw. The rock rarely separates from the cord.

Five Tango
03-14-2019, 13:47
I have had great results with a small sized cheap water bottle like Slogoen has described.Something about the heft of it is just right.I've never had it want to wrap around like a bolo or get hung up either.Once I'm done I drink the potable water from the bottle and store it in the food bag.If it springs a leak from a pinhole I am sure a little tape would fix it.

MuddyWaters
03-14-2019, 13:50
Plastic water bottles are nearly indestructible.

Nope
Not nearly so.
Not when dropped on pointy rocks
Ive gotten hole in smartwater bottle that rolled out of car hatchback and fell 20" on to chat at trailhead. It came out of my pack during ride to trail. I hiked 100 miles with a leaky bottle in pretty dry conditions . With top on....and tape over hole in side, it didnt leak much. With top off, it leaked out fast.

Deadeye
03-14-2019, 14:09
I bring my Valet and let him take care of things like this.

skater
03-14-2019, 17:23
I thought about cordura, as it was a preferred material for motorcycle riding gear when I was in my "ATGATT" days. Where does one buy cordura bags, or did you just make yours? Curious. Thanks - TZ

I made mine, with materials from RipstopByTheRoll. I have plenty left. I can send you one, if you want. Just PM me with address and, if you want a specific size, desired dimensions.

Slo-go'en
03-14-2019, 17:40
Nope
Not nearly so.
Not when dropped on pointy rocks
Ive gotten hole in smartwater bottle that rolled out of car hatchback and fell 20" on to chat at trailhead. It came out of my pack during ride to trail. I hiked 100 miles with a leaky bottle in pretty dry conditions . With top on....and tape over hole in side, it didnt leak much. With top off, it leaked out fast.

Then your just unlucky. I've been throwing bottles up into trees for over 10 years and several 1000 miles without any trouble. But then, I nearly always leave town with a fresh one and it's not often it lands on a rock. In fact, it's not often it actually hits the ground unless my throw was way off.

Time Zone
03-15-2019, 11:28
I made mine, with materials from RipstopByTheRoll. I have plenty left. I can send you one, if you want. Just PM me with address and, if you want a specific size, desired dimensions.
Thanks for the kind offer! PM forthcoming.

skater
03-15-2019, 15:27
Thanks for the kind offer! PM forthcoming.

On it's way!