PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Shelters - Tarps

BrentF
03-17-2019, 07:37
Do people take their own tarps to cover the opening or is there a tarp(s) already there? I've seen pictures online and it seems during the winter months there is a tarp hanging from above which would at least keep out unwanted wind.

Analog_Kidd
03-17-2019, 07:54
The park usually hangs them over the opening during winter months.

Was just up at Derrick Knob a week ago during a pretty heavy storm. It helped keep us dry, and kept the wind off, but it flapped all night long and kept every one awake all night.

I don't know what their schedule is, but I have been to a few shelters in cool months and have seen them.

rmitchell
03-17-2019, 09:00
Tarps are stored in the tool boxes at the shelters. Usually installed by a volunteer maintainer. There is no set schedule to put them up or take them down.

Dogwood
03-17-2019, 14:35
Tarps are stored in the tool boxes at the shelters. Usually installed by a volunteer maintainer. There is no set schedule to put them up or take them down.

Here ya go.

HooKooDooKu
03-17-2019, 16:40

Over the years, I've slowly learned that there are many unsung heros in GSMNP that help maintain it far beyond what rangers, and trail runners.

A big shout out to all those volunteers... Thank You for what you do.