PDA

View Full Version : Big Meadows Wayside - Update

Corley
03-18-2019, 08:04
:welcome Yesterday, I learned the Big Meadows Wayside will open their Camp store, gift shop and have pre-packaged food available. On April 30th they'll open the redesigned restaurant where you'll be able to look out over Big Meadows instead of the parking area.

Let me know if you need more info on this or SNP. I volunteer at the Big Meadows Visitors Center and operate a local shuttle service.

Slumgum
03-18-2019, 13:08
I will be starting April 6 SOBO from just north of SNP. I didn't see an opening date for Big Meadows Wayside camp store on the web site. Do you know a date for when the store will open? Loft Mtn. store doesn't open until May 1.
Thanks.

Corley
03-18-2019, 15:02
I will be starting April 6 SOBO from just north of SNP. I didn't see an opening date for Big Meadows Wayside camp store on the web site. Do you know a date for when the store will open? Loft Mtn. store doesn't open until May 1.
Thanks.

The Big Meadows Wayside will open their Camp store, gift shop and have pre-packaged food available on April 12th. Sorry I left this out of my original post.

Corley
03-28-2019, 18:31
I spoke with a couple of the Wayside staff today and saw their new menu. I was surprised they're not going to serve fried chicken, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, BLTS, french fries, onion rings, Navy bean soup or most of my other favorites. These staples are being replaced with "healthier" soups, sandwiches, and main dishes with ingredients like quinoa - kale - ancient grains. The new items are pricier. They're also doing away with waitress service. From what I heard I don't think the dining room will open until mid-May, but they haven't announced this yet.

tdoczi
03-28-2019, 19:48
I spoke with a couple of the Wayside staff today and saw their new menu. I was surprised they're not going to serve fried chicken, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, BLTS, french fries, onion rings, Navy bean soup or most of my other favorites. These staples are being replaced with "healthier" soups, sandwiches, and main dishes with ingredients like quinoa - kale - ancient grains. The new items are pricier. They're also doing away with waitress service. From what I heard I don't think the dining room will open until mid-May, but they haven't announced this yet.
hahaha ok i get it, getting a head start on an april fool's joke, very funny. next i suppose you'll tell us theres no more blackberry milkshakes?

(please be a horrible joke, please be a joke, ok, really?)

Coffee
03-28-2019, 21:05
Oh my god, please say you are joking ...

Corley
03-30-2019, 16:22
I wish I was kidding, but my previous post is true. Gone are the inexpensive, high calorie, and quick meals AT hikers enjoyed at the Wayside. An AT hiker in Front Royal asked me if they will still serve the hearty "hikers breakfast" that he's always enjoyed there. I didn't see their breakfast menu, so I'll check on it. But I bet it won't be on their "healthier" menu.

tdoczi
03-30-2019, 16:36
I wish I was kidding, but my previous post is true. Gone are the inexpensive, high calorie, and quick meals AT hikers enjoyed at the Wayside. An AT hiker in Front Royal asked me if they will still serve the hearty "hikers breakfast" that he's always enjoyed there. I didn't see their breakfast menu, so I'll check on it. But I bet it won't be on their "healthier" menu.
any idea on if the other waysides are following suit?

and really, do they at least still have blackberry milkshakes? that is no small matter. SNP without them... i can't even think of such a thing.

Kaptainkriz
03-30-2019, 19:34
They must not want to sell any food...I can't see this being very popular. :(

tdoczi
03-30-2019, 19:40
They must not want to sell any food...I can't see this being very popular. :(

certainly not with hikers. with people driving through the park though? who knows.

plus plenty of people are of the mindset that we just have to make people eat healthy whether its what they want or not. that someone in the NPS or with SNP would be of this mindset should shock no one. i wouldnt be surprised if they went vegan in a show of support for the green new deal.

SWODaddy
03-30-2019, 22:11

Oh brother.

Coffee
03-30-2019, 22:13
I blame the millennials and the gentrified yuppies from DC ... lol, just kidding. Well, kind of. Waysides are supposed to serve comfort food. SMH...

4eyedbuzzard
03-31-2019, 13:07
The ad is up for the 2019 Easter Sunday Brunch at Skyland. https://www.goshenandoah.com/dining/buffets/easter

Pricey. $36 + beverages + 10.3% tax + gratuities. So about $55+ with coffee and juice? Menu doesn't seem like the draconian "healthier" one being described above, but who knows if that will transfer over to the regular fare in season. Hopefully not. "I'd like a cheeseburger, a side of fries and a blackberry milkshake - with a side of statins. Something that will line my stomach - and coronary arteries." :rolleyes: :D

Coffee
03-31-2019, 13:53
Catering to the people from DC/NVA.

ldsailor
03-31-2019, 14:11

Need I say more?

Furlough
03-31-2019, 14:20
Catering to the people from DC/NVA.
A bit of stereotyping on your part I'd say. I'm from NVA and this new "healthier" menu choice is not on my radar after backpacking and/or doing trail maintenance.

I can only hope the 2 pub choices (1 at Skyland and the other at Big Meadows) have not gone the same route. Other than the Loft Mountain Wayside, those 2 pubs are where I have preferred to eat at anyway.

Furlough

Coffee
04-01-2019, 11:00
A bit of stereotyping on your part I'd say. I'm from NVA and this new "healthier" menu choice is not on my radar after backpacking and/or doing trail maintenance.

Yeah, that's fair. I lived in Arlington across the river from DC for 15 years and it's a great area but the tastes of the locals has changed quite a bit and the higher end fare is both something in demand and something that a lot of people have the disposable income to buy. Supply and demand.

Corley
04-08-2019, 18:49
April 19th is when the Wayside's camp store and gift shop are now scheduled to open per the Rangers at Byrd Visitor's Center. The restaurant is supposed to open on May 5th, but everyone I've spoken to thinks it will be closer tp May 15th or later.

Unfortunately, the hearty "camper's breakfast" won't be on the new menu either. Blackberry shakes and the frozen blackberry ice cream pie will still be available (Yeah!).

Puddlefish
04-08-2019, 19:09
I'm heading north from Bland in a month or so. I'll give the new menu a try. After a month or so hiking, I do crave the heart attack food and the high calories, but it's also nice to have a change of pace from all the crap food and have something with vitamins and fiber and vaguely healthy ingredients once in a while.

tdoczi
04-08-2019, 19:26
April 19th is when the Wayside's camp store and gift shop are now scheduled to open per the Rangers at Byrd Visitor's Center. The restaurant is supposed to open on May 5th, but everyone I've spoken to thinks it will be closer tp May 15th or later.

Unfortunately, the hearty "camper's breakfast" won't be on the new menu either. Blackberry shakes and the frozen blackberry ice cream pie will still be available (Yeah!).
i'm gladly to hear they've only gone 85% insane instead of full on crazy. any word on if the new menu will be debuting at the other 2 waysides?

SWODaddy
04-18-2019, 16:23

FYI, I'm camping at Big Meadows now and the wayside doesn't look close to opening. Ranger thought it might still be a few weeks. He said that either Loft or Lewis (can't remember which) camp store should be open.

Furlough
04-19-2019, 05:35
From the SNP Website: Mile Post Open Closed Facilities

Elkwallow Wayside
April 12
Nov. 11
Food, gifts, camping supplies

Skyland
41.7 and 42.5
April 12
Dec. 1
Lodging, food, and gifts

Skyland Stables
41.7 and 42.5
April 12
TBA
Reservations required; 540-999-2213

Big Meadows Lodge
May 8
Nov. 3
Lodging, food, and gifts

Big Meadows Wayside
TBD
Nov.11
Under renovation

Lewis Mountain Cabins and Campstore
March 28
Dec. 1
Lodging, gifts, and camping supplies

Loft Mountain Wayside
April 19
Nov. 3
Food, gifts, camping supplies.

Furlough
04-19-2019, 05:37
....and Campgrounds

Facility
Skyline Drive Mile
2019 Opening
2019 Closing
Comments

Mathews Arm
May 1
TBA
1st come - 1st served and reservations*

Big Meadows (showers/laundry)
March 29
Nov. 11

Lewis Mountain
March 29
Oct. 27
1st come - 1st served only

Loft Mountain (Campstore/showers/laundry)
May 1
Oct. 27

Dundo (Group camping only)
May 1
Oct. 27
Reservations only. Group size limited to 7-15 persons

NJH
04-19-2019, 09:19
Per their Facebook post yesterday:

It's good news/bad news once again. We were able to clear another section of Skyline Drive, so it is open from mile 0 to mile 80. However, we must delay opening of Loft Campground and Dundo Campground to May 14. Reservation holders are being contacted with options to move to Mathews Arm or refunds.