PDA

View Full Version : AT Weather App?

ashmorec
03-18-2019, 18:32
I love Guthook... is there a weather app most hikers use? I can’t find one online.

Slo-go'en
03-18-2019, 19:30
Try "appalaichain trail weather" from the app store. Gives you a guess at what the weather will be like for all the shelters along the AT.

Puddlefish
03-18-2019, 20:35
I just have atweather.org bookmarked in my browser.

One Half
03-18-2019, 21:27
Try "appalaichain trail weather" from the app store. Gives you a guess at what the weather will be like for all the shelters along the AT.
Dang! Just checked it out and definitely TOO COLD for me!

MtDoraDave
03-18-2019, 21:31
I just have atweather.org bookmarked in my browser.

I've used this, too.

beefsmack
03-19-2019, 18:39
+1 on atweather.org

FreeGoldRush
03-19-2019, 20:58
+1 on atweather.org
If you get the night time low for Springer or Blood it appears to be reporting the weather down in Blairsville. The disclaimer at their website says they do not modify the NOAA forecast in any way. It would be very helpful if they put in an estimate based on the altitude of the location you requested. For example, subtracting 6 degrees per 1,000 feet of altitude difference would be handy. In any event, just be aware of your altitude.

daddytwosticks
03-20-2019, 16:20
If you get the night time low for Springer or Blood it appears to be reporting the weather down in Blairsville. The disclaimer at their website says they do not modify the NOAA forecast in any way. It would be very helpful if they put in an estimate based on the altitude of the location you requested. For example, subtracting 6 degrees per 1,000 feet of altitude difference would be handy. In any event, just be aware of your altitude.

I have experienced WARMER temperatures at elevation many times while hiking in North Georgia and North Carolina this time of year due to temperature inversions. IMHO weather predictions for the mountains are a guessing game. :)

One Half
03-20-2019, 20:00
I have gotten very good at "predicting" the weather by watching cloud formations and movements and just being in tune with temperature changes. It's not useful for long range planning but it works well when trying to figure out if you need to hustle to your destination to avoid getting drenched.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

liteweight
03-21-2019, 21:31
Another ATweather.org user

RockDoc
03-22-2019, 14:25
I found that cell reception was poor on most of the trail. So I carry a small ham radio which receives various NOAA weather stations. Works even better from remote high peaks. Also, in a real emergency cell will likely be unavailable. Ham radios will rule.

Portie
03-22-2019, 17:12
I found that cell reception was poor on most of the trail. So I carry a small ham radio which receives various NOAA weather stations. Works even better from remote high peaks. Also, in a real emergency cell will likely be unavailable. Ham radios will rule.

What ham radio do you recommend and how hard is it to keep it charged?

One Half
03-22-2019, 19:15
Don't any of you young 'uns know how to read the weather patterns? I can't be the only one on this forum that learned this. Slo - you must be "atuned" and able to read weather coming.

True Blue
03-23-2019, 03:36
www.mountain-forecast.com You can choose any mountain in the U.S. Shows weather at different elevations. Lots of info in an easy to read chart/graphic. 6 day forecast.