PDA

View Full Version : Hurray! First day of spring!

Slo-go'en
03-20-2019, 13:45
First day of Spring, we made it!

Went from a low of 7 this morning to 46. Snows starting to melt. Too bad we could get another 12" of wet snow this weekend. The joys of spring in Northern NH.

TNhiker
03-20-2019, 13:57
i like to think of today as the day before my birthday....

CalebJ
03-20-2019, 15:11
i like to think of today as the day before my birthday....

Same here!

TNhiker
03-20-2019, 15:42
Same here!

going anywhere fun?

T.S.Kobzol
03-20-2019, 16:10
I still want snow on Friday because I'm doing my last ski tour of the season on Saturday somewhere above Moosehead Lake. After Sunday ... it can all melt AFAIC :-) because I'm on hiking vacation in April

CalebJ
03-20-2019, 16:46
going anywhere fun?

For my birthday? Shrine circus with my family. On Friday we're heading down to the Mount Rogers area. I should probably figure out a route plan sometime soon. You?

TNhiker
03-20-2019, 17:02
For my birthday? Shrine circus with my family. On Friday we're heading down to the Mount Rogers area. I should probably figure out a route plan sometime soon. You?

i get off work here in about an hour.....

got a hotel near the airport cause i dont like waking up early...

catch a flight to NYC tomorrow morning...

go into manhattan...

see billy joel at madison square garden tomorrow night and wander times square late night...

then friday---meet some friends for dinner out on long island...(i have a feeling i will be seeing the sun rise so it will be a late start)....dinner will be a filet mignon sandwich with lobster on top with melted cheese.........

then see KISS at nassau coliseum friday night..

head back into manhattan for saturday of maybe hitting some museums...

then a jazz show at the village vanguard.........followed by a late night comedy show.....

then if i feel up to it, since i dont fly out til 9 pm from laguardia-----i might catch the afternoon islanders game.....

depending upon if i can stash my bag somewhere...

then come back and work monday and tuesday and those nights i have the banff film festival here in town.........

peakbagger
03-20-2019, 17:43
I was up on Mt Monroe today,conditions were definitely great but still winter. Lake of the Clouds still has snow a drift to within 6" of the ridgeline. The final ascent of Monroe from the hut was tough, The trail is a ribbon of ice down low and covered with snow up high. There are a few tough steep spots before topping out.

4eyedbuzzard
03-20-2019, 18:02
I was up on Mt Monroe today,conditions were definitely great but still winter. Lake of the Clouds still has snow drift to within 6" of the ridgeline. The final ascent of Monroe from the hut was tough, The trail is a ribbon of ice down low and covered with snow. There are few tough steep spots.
White Mountains seasons:
Memorial Day to Independence Day = Spring
Independence Day to Labor Day = Summer
Labor Day to Columbus Day = Autumn
Columbus Day to Memorial Day = Winter

Joking. Kind of. But not much...

RuthN
03-20-2019, 18:04
Happy birthday!

Slo-go'en
03-20-2019, 18:06
I was up on Mt Monroe today,conditions were definitely great but still winter. Lake of the Clouds still has snow drift to within 6" of the ridgeline. The final ascent of Monroe from the hut was tough, The trail is a ribbon of ice down low and covered with snow. There are few tough steep spots.

Looked like a nice day up there. I just went on a short walk up into the woods. Snow was still hard enough for just microspikes, even though the trail wasn't especially packed down. I'm hoping the sap started flowing today at my friends sugar bush so we can make syrup this weekend.

Puddlefish
03-20-2019, 18:19
Got up to 50 the other day, my driveway flooded with a foot of meltwater. I had to shovel a path to low lying ground through a 5' snowbank, and then chip a little channel through 8" of ice to drain it, before it froze overnight and trapped my car. For my next rite of spring, I'll be removing the snow tires and putting on the all season tires. Joy!

rmitchell
03-20-2019, 20:41
Today I mowed my lawn.
Twenty six years ago on this date we were digging out of "the blizzard of 93". There were drifts 5 feet high in the smokies. Hikers were being airlifted out.
Today there is no snow in GSMNP.
Last week I saw a pair of Atlas snowshoes on the shelf at a local thrift store priced at $39.
I think they've been there a long time .

TNhiker
03-20-2019, 21:00
Today I mowed my lawn.
Twenty six years ago on this date we were digging out of "the blizzard of 93". There were drifts 5 feet high in the smokies. Hikers were being airlifted out.
Last week I saw a pair of Atlas snowshoes on the shelf at a local thrift store priced at $39.

was there still snow on the ground?

i wasn't living down here back then----and the blizzard was on the 13th...

i drove through the blizzard trying to get to a Grateful Dead concert that ended up being cancelled...

rmitchell
03-20-2019, 21:16
It went away pretty quickly in the valley. We had over a foot of snow but the ground was warm. On LeConte there were patches of snow that stayed until June.

illabelle
03-21-2019, 05:47
Today I mowed my lawn.

I remember the Blizzard of 93. Wow, what a load! Snow bent over several young pines on the back of our property. Now, 26 years later, you can still see the effects.