PDA

View Full Version : what about fishing?

grassyknoll44
02-26-2006, 11:32
Has anyone ever brought a fishing rod along? I love fishing and I think catching some of my own food would be a cool thing to add to the experience. If not for the whole trip, then just up in Maine where I know the water on the trail is plentiful. Feel free to comment, I realize that it's just one more thing to carry, and getting liscences would suck, and that there is limited time to go fishing anyway, but does anyone else have any insight?

Dances with Mice
02-26-2006, 13:13
Once upon a time I was going to attempt the Georgia Loop for the first time, a combination of three trails, including the AT, starting at Springer Mtn. Know how you always forget to pack something? I forgot my map of the non-AT portion of the hike. But no biggee, I figured, there was a little store along the route where I could purchase a map. When I got there the only map they had was a rough map of local trout streams and the forest service roads to access them.

I could follow my route on the map because it was the long, blank area on the map - all the trout streams were running away from the ridges where I was walking. If I wanted to avoid trout streams I had chosen the perfect route.

Just sayin'.

MOWGLI
02-26-2006, 13:39
Maine is the place to hike & fish. Especially if you're interested in catching 3# Brook Trout or Landlocked Salmon. There are a many other places to fish, but logistically speaking, they are few & far between. Maine is the exception.

Pacific Tortuga
02-26-2006, 14:15
[quote=MOWGLI16]Maine is the place to hike & fish. Especially if you're interested in catching 3# Brook Trout or Landlocked Salmon. There are a many other places to fish, but logistically speaking, they are few & far between. Maine is the exception.[/quote

It is my understanding that hikers want to hurry to reach Katahdin through Maine,do many slow down and fish? I would love to wet a line with a dry fly but as a first time "wannabe" thru hiker what are the realities of not getting caught up on the adrenalin rush to summit? Do mult- time thru hikers, having been there done that take the time to fish?

Hikerhead
02-26-2006, 14:15
Has anyone ever brought a fishing rod along? I love fishing and I think catching some of my own food would be a cool thing to add to the experience. If not for the whole trip, then just up in Maine where I know the water on the trail is plentiful. Feel free to comment, I realize that it's just one more thing to carry, and getting liscences would suck, and that there is limited time to go fishing anyway, but does anyone else have any insight?

If you search "Fishing" you should find some other threads on this subject. I've never fished while on the AT but you could bring a spoll of 8lb line and some hooks and a couple of plastic worms and just use a stick for a pole. Of course you won't be making any long cast with a stick. But if "The Man" comes by, just toss the stick in the water.

MOWGLI
02-26-2006, 14:35
It is my understanding that hikers want to hurry to reach Katahdin through Maine,do many slow down and fish? I would love to wet a line with a dry fly but as a first time "wannabe" thru hiker what are the realities of not getting caught up on the adrenalin rush to summit? Do mult- time thru hikers, having been there done that take the time to fish?

I would say that few do, but a few indeed do. In 2002 there was a kid who hiked with a pole and fished a lot. But then he came on WB and encouraged people not to obtain the necessary permits. IMO, if you're gonna fish, spend the money and get the license(s). Doing otherwise is akin to shoplifting IMO.

I didn't fish because I had a deadline in '00 and was doing 20+ miles most days. If I had it to do over again, I'd bring a pole. I bought the Maine Trail Guide and map set with the intention of section hiking from Stratton to the Kennebec River with my daughter. I still hope to do so, but the lure of the Colorado Trail is pretty strong after last years 60 mile stroll.

SGTdirtman
02-26-2006, 14:48
I fish while hiking, I always buy permits for the states I am in though, you dont have to buy a yearly liscence if you live out of state you can just buy a permit for a few days which is very cheap.

I brought a pole ONCE and found it to be extremely annoying while hiking. Since it didnt fit in my pack I had to strap it to the outside and it was pretty much more hassle than it was worth.

now I just bring line, hooks, sinkers and bobbers and if need make a pole from a stick. If nothing else its usually easy to catch some sunnies which are actually good eating.

MOWGLI
02-26-2006, 14:54
I have a 4 piece backpacking flyrod. Got it for $120 at Bass Pro Shops.

woodsy
02-26-2006, 17:04
Maine has an extensive lawbook on fishing and the rules/laws vary from one body of water to the next.Not trying to deter you from fishing while on your journey.Many of the high ponds/streams and lakes are fly fishing only and you may do well using this method cause thats what the fish are feeding on come mid/late summer. The lower the water is in streams/rivers and ponds...the better your chances are of catching a snack. A 1/2 dozen flies of different sizes/colors and a rod of your choice should get you started.(collapsable rod?). I have fished much along the trail in Maine and done well in streams and ponds. We call em pan fry trout cause they often are not all that big.The ponds are apt to have larger fish than mtn.streams. The lawbooks are available with your license purchase. Good luck

Woodsy