PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Canisters Packed in pack for bus rides

Mouser999
03-23-2019, 09:47
When having to take a bus to a starting point, how do you handle fuel canisters in you pack?
Most bus companies state no fuels to be carrried while traveling.
Do you just say there is no fuel or go without until you get to your starting point and buy there?

Slo-go'en
03-23-2019, 10:22
No one is going or ask or check.

MuddyWaters
03-23-2019, 14:29
When having to take a bus to a starting point, how do you handle fuel canisters in you pack?
Most bus companies state no fuels to be carrried while traveling.
Do you just say there is no fuel or go without until you get to your starting point and buy there?
Maybe they mean gasoline cans

No one cares what you bring on a bus or train

lonehiker
03-23-2019, 15:13
I went to the Greyhound website. They are pretty explicit that fuels are not allowed in carry-on or checked luggage. Would guess that all bus lines are similar. I would guess that it is federal law. Just because they aren't checked/searched doesn't make it right to ignore the policy/law.

4eyedbuzzard
03-23-2019, 17:03
No one here is going to tell you to break the law or the bus company's regulations/policies, or at least they shouldn't, as it's a violation of this website's Terms of Service. The rules are there because a canister could potentially leak, causing health issues from inhaling the gas, or creating an explosive environment, or intensifying a fire caused by an accident or other source - especially of concern to firefighters if the bus was involved in an accident.

Gas canisters are mostly manufactured in Korea. They are shipped in cardboard boxes, usually 24 canisters to a box, stacked on pallets, loaded into maritime containers. Once offloaded, they get shipped by ground freight on trucks to warehouses and then the boxes are shipped all over the place by truck and wind up on store shelves. People even mail them (ground/surface only) in small numbers adhering to US Postal Service Regulations. How safe are they? Lots of handling and transportation is involved in getting them to your stove connection. Stuff gets moved half way around the world, exposed to heat and cold, bounced around, dropped, etc. Protected the entire time by a cardboard box. Nothing is 100% safe, but canisters are pretty damn safe.

Feral Bill
03-23-2019, 18:18
The rules put hikers who use public transport in a bind. Best to buy fuel (whatever kind) at the start of your hike. If it's not available, plan on cold meals until you get to a supply.

lonehiker
03-23-2019, 19:15
No one here is going to tell you to break the law or the bus company's regulations/policies

Two did....

Starchild
03-23-2019, 19:51
Perhaps hire a limo for your travel, it is a lot more comfy too, but be sure to check there restrictions just to make sure of they will allow it.

Mouser999
03-24-2019, 07:02
As this is going to be the first time i'm not being driven to a trail head, I was looking for info from those who have hiked longer.
I think as this point I will pick up fuel at DWG outfitter and ship a canister ahead for resupply. I have the USPS reg. paperwork for shipping fuel.
I will be staring my bus ride from Springfield MA to DWG when I go
Thanks for the assists