PDA

View Full Version : Update on Fontana

Ethesis
03-24-2019, 19:51
Fontana now closes everything (including the gas pumps and the marina) on Wednesday.

Tiny resupply in the hotel lounge. The shuttle runs out of gas around noon.

We are taking a zero in Gatlinburg tomorrow.

GaryM
03-24-2019, 21:26
Seems kinda strange they would do something like that during peak bubble but hey, I ain't in charge of nuthin...
Thanks for letting us know, I will be passing through there around April 1st. I mailed a drop box to Fontana Village Resort, sure hope they will be open.

tdoczi
03-24-2019, 22:23
Seems kinda strange they would do something like that during peak bubble but hey, I ain't in charge of nuthin...

I guess (shocker) that resupplying thru hikers just isnt a big priority for them. crazy, right?

rmitchell
03-25-2019, 07:48
In the past there have been posts from folks wanting to do trail magic.

Big opportunity here.

Ethesis
03-25-2019, 08:09
The local trail association has a member who drives the shuttle.

He said that while they do a lot of business they just aren’t thinking.

So. New idea is everything closes on the same day so everyone gets time off together.

Except that means even the gas station.

So so the store remodel will take a few extra weeks, hikers don’t really start until April 1.

On the the other hand, only hotel store ever that carries tortillas and tuna in foil.

When we bought tortillas the the staff was surprised that they were selling them.

The big big hope is that the marina will be open on Wednesday at some point and will focus a little on resupply.

It is fifty feet downhill and has a sign up pushing burgers and beer at the trailhead.

I could never ever find a solar shower at the Fontana Hilton. The toilets and showers nearby are all conventional with lots of hot water.

Ethesis
03-25-2019, 08:10
The trail association is responsible for the tortillas, etc.

Warning. They don’t stock enough honey buns so get to those first.