PDA

View Full Version : Jim & Molly Denton Shelter - Awesome!

Corley
03-25-2019, 07:28
I hiked to the Jim & Molly Denton Shelter yesterday from Manassas Gap. The recently painted shelter with sleeping platforms, solar powered shower, horseshoe pit, and other facilities were AWESOME! PATC deserves a lot of credit for providing this great facility for AT hikers.

I met a SOBO flip flop hiker who left HF 3 days ago. He plans to get to Springer Mountain by early May and return to HF to hike north. He had just drawn a half-bottle of water from the shallow stream behind the shelter. He didn't know there was a spring just south of the shelter off the AT. For SOBO hikers there's no sign pointing them to the shelter and spring at the first trail to the shelter they'll come to. Coming SOBO yesterday I saw the shelter from the trail but there wasn't a sign directing me to the shelter or spring from the AT. I'll shuttle this SOBO hiker from Swift Run Gap on Friday morning to Elkton so he can pick up his resupply box from the Post Office there.

Slo-go'en
03-25-2019, 11:21
Yep, the Denton shelter is really nice, I've stayed there a bunch of times. I like the swing on the porch. Never been there when it's been warm enough to dare use the shower though. To find the spring, I followed the pipe to the shower up the hill.

Deacon
03-25-2019, 16:53
When I stayed there in 2015 the caretakers were mowing the lawn around the shelter and trimming the bushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mateozzz
11-22-2022, 15:49
I was just at the Denton shelter and noticed there are new signs at the trail and at the shelter/picnic area. However the one near the picnic area that is supposedly pointing to the spring is confusing as it seems to indicate the spring is behind the tenting area (the arrow points up for some reason, not left or right). Unless there is a new spring I'm not aware of, the spring is a little further south down the trail. The sign at the trail points in the correct direction.

NY HIKER 50
11-22-2022, 21:13
I had a horrendous night. I moved on from there since I thought the thunderstorms were over that night. WRONG. They came around again and I got walloped. I had just washed my clothing and had to bring it all under my hammock. I could actually hear lightning sticking all around me.

MtDoraDave
11-30-2022, 16:27
I hiked to the Jim & Molly Denton Shelter yesterday from Manassas Gap. The recently painted shelter with sleeping platforms, solar powered shower, horseshoe pit, and other facilities were AWESOME! PATC deserves a lot of credit for providing this great facility for AT hikers.

I met a SOBO flip flop hiker who left HF 3 days ago. He plans to get to Springer Mountain by early May and return to HF to hike north. He had just drawn a half-bottle of water from the shallow stream behind the shelter. He didn't know there was a spring just south of the shelter off the AT. For SOBO hikers there's no sign pointing them to the shelter and spring at the first trail to the shelter they'll come to. Coming SOBO yesterday I saw the shelter from the trail but there wasn't a sign directing me to the shelter or spring from the AT. I'll shuttle this SOBO hiker from Swift Run Gap on Friday morning to Elkton so he can pick up his resupply box from the Post Office there.

The strange part of this is that most hikers, especially thru hikers, have either the AWOL guide or the Guthook/ Farout ap. Both of which will have told him where the water is.
I was there last week and got water at the spring - then got to camp to find people using the pvc pipe at the shower to get water... until it froze.