PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the AT at US 19 in NC

sleepwalker
02-26-2006, 16:17
I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the US 19 area in NC. I'm planning on exiting the AT there and I'm curious as to the difficulty of getting rides, etc...

From my AT maps, there doesn't look to be anything there, it just says Wesser. Any info on this will be extremely helpful. I have a limited time to hike this year so I'm looking for the easiest extraction point.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2006, 16:33
There isn't a whole lot there.

You could conceivably hitch in either direction til you get to a larger town. There are also local shuttlers who could pick you up at the crossing or in a nearby business (To find a shuttler, check out the extensive state-by-state shuttler's list at www.atconf.org).

Another alternative is NOT to stop at 19E but instead, continue another 24 miles on the Trail til you get to Kincora Hostel in Dennis Cove. Not only could you get cleaned up there, but the proprietors, Bob or Pat Peoples, could very well shuttle you to wherever you needed to get to---your vehicle, an airport, whatever.

sleepwalker
02-26-2006, 16:52
Thanks, Jack. I'll take that into advisement. How far off trail is the Kincora Hostel...is it right on trail?

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2006, 16:57
Less than three tenths of a mile off the Trail, you can't miss it.

MOWGLI
02-26-2006, 17:16
I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the US 19 area in NC. I'm planning on exiting the AT there and I'm curious as to the difficulty of getting rides, etc...

From my AT maps, there doesn't look to be anything there, it just says Wesser. Any info on this will be extremely helpful. I have a limited time to hike this year so I'm looking for the easiest extraction point.

Well, Wesser is nowhere near 19E. The NOC is in Wesser. Where are you starting your hike, and how many miles are you thinking about hiking? If you really want to exit near Wesser, NC - you are some 270 miles south of Kincora Hostel.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2006, 17:38
Whoops, I should've picked up on that. Wrong 19! If you're getting off near Wesser, the easiest thing to do is get to Bryson City.

There are lots of local shuttlers in this area, too. I suggest you get in touch with Ron Haven in Franklin 828-524-4403 who'll be happy to help you out and can get you anywhere you need to be.

max patch
02-26-2006, 17:43
Sleepwalker (and Mowgli) are referring to US19 at Wesser which is really the NOC. This is 130 miles from Springer.

Jack is referring to US19E at Elk Park/Roan Mtn which is 380 miles from Springer.

Sleepwalker, what type of info are you looking for? NOC has everthing you need as a hiker. There is a low price sleeping accomodation there. There is a hotel across the street. The NOC has a lot of activity (rafting and biking) and I guess would be an easy place to arrange a shuttle.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

sleepwalker
02-26-2006, 19:22
Yeah, thats the wrong 19 for sure. I think the one I'm after is just NC 19 and not 19 E. I'm setting out at neels gap and, in my time frame, I beleive I'll make it to The Rt 19 that is near the rufus mtn shelter. This would be approximately 100 miles north from neels gap.

So if I understand completely, the NOC is at the intersection of the AT and Rt 19? That would be fantastic.

MOWGLI
02-26-2006, 19:30
So if I understand completely, the NOC is at the intersection of the AT and Rt 19? That would be fantastic.

That's correct. Its one of the nicest places on the trail IMO.

Albany, NY, eh? I'm a New Yorker (Orange County) and have spont lots of time in the Adirondacks. I sure miss the area. Especially the X-Country skiing.

timhines
02-26-2006, 19:34
what do you need when you get off the trail? A ride to......?

I'm a hop skip and a jump from Rufus Morgan Shelter (less than a mile from the NOC @ wesser.

Everyone above is correct, it's easy to find a ride. You can always go to the Outfitter's store and say "hey, i'm getting off the trail and I need a ride to...." and someone will give you a ride when they get off work. most likely for free--but I would tip a few bucks since gas isn't free.

sleepwalker
02-26-2006, 19:42
Albany, NY, eh? I'm a New Yorker (Orange County) and have spont lots of time in the Adirondacks. I sure miss the area. Especially the X-Country skiing.

I've spent many a summer weekend in Keene Valley and the High peaks of the Adirondacks. Glorious country. I've also spent a lot of days in your old stomping grounds, in the Catskills and one or twice around New Paltz...Minnewaska Park, I think.

I appreciate your input on my exit point. I was a little nervous about where I'd be, but that sounds easy enough.

sleepwalker
02-26-2006, 19:46
what do you need when you get off the trail? A ride to......?

I'm a hop skip and a jump from Rufus Morgan Shelter (less than a mile from the NOC @ wesser.

Everyone above is correct, it's easy to find a ride. You can always go to the Outfitter's store and say "hey, i'm getting off the trail and I need a ride to...." and someone will give you a ride when they get off work. most likely for free--but I would tip a few bucks since gas isn't free.

Tim, I would be heading to the nearest bus station or a hotel near the bus station, but if I can get cleaned up at NOC I won't need the hotel. My wife's dropping me off at neels and I gotta find my own way home. I will try to snag a ride at NOC, and I'm from NY so I'm usually a good tipper...lol.

timhines
02-26-2006, 22:09
yeah just ask at the store, someone will be more than willing to take you to Maggie Valley. I think that is the closest Greyhound bus station. But i'm not 100% sure on that.

Sly
02-27-2006, 01:17
You'll want to get to Asheville, NC which has a full service Greyhound. There's atleast a couple fairly cheap motels within walking distance.

If you feel you can keep a schedule a 1 week advanced notice (10 days over the internet or by phone) is the cheapest way to go. You'll save $40. $65 compared to $105

http://www.greyhound.com/home.asp

tiamalle
02-27-2006, 09:56
Whoops, I should've picked up on that. Wrong 19! If you're getting off near Wesser, the easiest thing to do is get to Bryson City.

There are lots of local shuttlers in this area, too. I suggest you get in touch with Ron Haven in Franklin 828-524-4403 who'll be happy to help you out and can get you anywhere you need to be.Thanks Jack,We pick people up there frequently and go to the bus station or airport.http://havensbudgetinn.com