PDA

View Full Version : Nobo bubble location in mid July

Scooter7975
03-27-2019, 13:59
I want to join the very northern end of "the nobo bubble" in mid July. My research shows that the faster of the March starters will typically be starting the New Jersey / New York area during this time. Can anyone chime in and give maybe some more professional advice on where the northernish tip of the nobo bubble would be in mid July? Thank you.

tdoczi
03-27-2019, 14:01
I want to join the very northern end of "the nobo bubble" in mid July. My research shows that the faster of the March starters will typically be starting the New Jersey / New York area during this time. Can anyone chime in and give maybe some more professional advice on where the northernish tip of the nobo bubble would be in mid July? Thank you.

dont know if its enough to constitute a bubble but the leaders of the pack are home telling stories to their friends and waiting for their 2000 mile cert in the mail in mid july.

i guess to your question anywhere you go north of say mid PA youre going to run into thru hikers in mid july

MuddyWaters
03-27-2019, 14:59
Leading edge will be north of glencliff.
Its not a bubble anymore, its a long schmear, 500+ miles long

Sobos will be crossing paths with them in whites too. Record #s of each most likely. Enjoy.

map man
03-27-2019, 19:48
The very heart of the bubble would be around the CT/MA state line in mid-July. If you figure anything resembling a bubble would extend a month ahead and behind this point, then the northern part of the bubble would be around the NH/ME state line then. If you started around Gorham NH that would be close.

peakbagger
03-27-2019, 20:50
Lot of thru hikers in Gorham NH for the multi day fourth of July celebration. Many take a couple of days break before heading north. Mosquitoes are still significant in the Mahoosucs.

George
03-30-2019, 14:21
Mostly at home having knocked off

egilbe
03-31-2019, 08:19
Early nobos are battling snow in Maine in early June.

Shrewd
11-13-2019, 10:17
I was just north of Bear Mountain in New York for the 4th, started March 12th

ScottTrip
11-13-2019, 10:47
I left Springer on March 9th by mid July I was in New Hampshire. I would say I was in the bubble as many people who start around that time finish in early August.

LazyLightning
11-13-2019, 13:48
I left Amicalola march 9th, 10th on Springer. I hit the NY/CT line in the last week of July. There was no shortage of thru hikers until the 2nd week of October. Of course there were less as it went on but still plenty out there. I never even felt the bubble effect just crowded trails sometimes. Everyone kept saying the bubble is coming (from behind) but it never really felt like it I was in what everyone refers to as the bubble.

trailmercury
11-14-2019, 11:10
I left Amicalola march 9th, 10th on Springer. I hit the NY/CT line in the last week of July. There was no shortage of thru hikers until the 2nd week of October. Of course there were less as it went on but still plenty out there. I never even felt the bubble effect just crowded trails sometimes. Everyone kept saying the bubble is coming (from behind) but it never really felt like it I was in what everyone refers to as the bubble.

Can you explain a little more why you took over 7 months to complete the trail? Not being confrontational, just curious!

Grampie
11-14-2019, 21:29
I have been a caretaker at Upper Goose Pond cabin, in central Mass. for 16 years during the second week of July. The cabin was always at max captaincy during that week. By then the “bubble” is quite spread out. The cabin remains at capacity for the next 3-4 weeks and than starts to thin out.

Crushed Grapes
11-14-2019, 23:57
I was just north of Bear Mountain in New York for the 4th, started March 12th

I started the day before you from Springer, chances are we ran into each other. Also, DC resident here!

Shrewd
11-15-2019, 01:05
I started the day before you from Springer, chances are we ran into each other. Also, DC resident here!

Dude I’m just south of you between Woodbridge and Quantico

What was your trail name?

Crushed Grapes
11-15-2019, 18:52
Dude I’m just south of you between Woodbridge and Quantico
What was your trail name?

Trail name is P.Y.T. I got hurt May 6, rolled my ankle going up to McAfee Knob. Ended up coming home for 6 weeks, but eventually made it to Harpers Ferry and then flipped. I finished my hike 3 weeks ago tomorrow!

Astro
11-17-2019, 17:32
If you really want to part of the bubble for an extended amount of time you probably should try to start a week ahead of it, as hikers with months under their belt are probably going to be moving faster than you starting out.

JC13
11-17-2019, 18:31
We started in Hot Springs, May 26th and caught the tail end of the NOBO bubble this year. We hiked off and on with about 40 other people that were all headed to Katahdin. When we got off trail in Damascus on June 6th, the majority of those hikers were still with us.

Cosmo
11-23-2019, 21:09
https://www.wherearethehikers.com/about/

Cosmo

LazyLightning
11-24-2019, 01:11
Can you explain a little more why you took over 7 months to complete the trail? Not being confrontational, just curious!

Gave myself as much time as I needed (well actually ended up cutting it close at the end) to take my time and enjoy everything I can and wanted to along the way. I'm really only a 10-15 miler a day cause that's just how I like to hike - plenty of safety breaks but enjoying it all is key. I had been trying to work up a 12-13 mile average cause I thought that's what I needed, then there was a point in VA where I did the math and said "no way, I only need to average about 10 per day to finish by mid October" … so then I got to slow it down a little more ; )