PDA

View Full Version : Blister on little toe

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 07:56
WAIT! Before commenting on prevention being the best practice or that blisters are caused by "friction and moisture" or recommending whatever shoe that you like....PLEASE READ MY QUESTION.

tia!

I tend to get blisters on my heels and on the inside and end of my little toe. The problem with heels was solved with leukotape. Blisters on my little toe seem to form after about 7-8 miles of hiking on Day 1 and make hiking on subsequent days painful.

1) What do you do to deal with discomfort of a blister on the inside of your little toe (part next to toe #4)? Here's what I've done so far and it hasn't really helped: 1) wide toebox shoes 2) darn tough socks and thin sock liners 3) small amount of foot powder in the liner 4) tape around the little toe.

2) Any suggestions about how I might preemptively take precautions that will prevent blisters on the little toe. Should I NOT apply tape but instead apply lubrication (i.e. Vaseline)? Should I tape toes 4 and 5 together?

I'm wearing Altra Olympus shoes. They are sized appropriately and my foot is stable in them (not slipping in any direction). I have some very good reasons for using them and they really seem to work well and are not the cause of the blisters. I have other issues on this foot (MTP joint replacement) that the Olympus is well suited to address. The MTP joint replacement definitely has subtly altered my gait which could possibly be causing the blister formation on the other toe.

Looking for some good advice on both dealing with the blister "after the fact" while continuing to hike as well as prevention. Thanks for your help!

Seakayaker

map man
03-29-2019, 08:18
I used to be prone to blisters in some spots where my toes rubbed together until I switched to Injinji toe socks -- that took care of that problem for me.

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 08:22
Thanks....I probably should have mentioned that too. I like Injinji toe socks and wear them whenever I put on athletic shoes----so I dig 'em. However, I've also used their toe sock liners and they didn't help with this blister issue---pretty much the same result as with regular sock liners and darn toughs.

So...I think I'm still looking for something else to try that doesn't involve losing a digit.

Scrum
03-29-2019, 08:26
I don't think lub (Vaseline, Glide, etc.) is going to help for long - too much of a hot mess between the toes. Maybe try a dab of nail polish on each side.

Time Zone
03-29-2019, 08:35
You mentioned that tape around the little toe didn't help. What kind of tape did you use? I have had good luck with 3M/Nexcare cushioned waterproof tape.

Also, perhaps consider trying it around the 4th toe instead? Separating them might help, though I didn't feel Injinji toe socks worked as well for me as did the cushioned tape. They're better than nothing, but on a longer hike, I still get the friction between toes. (I wrap my "ring" toe, but the one it rubs against is not the pinky toe but the middle one).

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 08:45
I've been using Leukotape. Seems to adhere well.

Thanks for the cushioned tape idea a well as taping the 4th toe.

These are the kind of ideas I'm looking for. Any more out there?

You mentioned that tape around the little toe didn't help. What kind of tape did you use? I have had good luck with 3M/Nexcare cushioned waterproof tape.

Also, perhaps consider trying it around the 4th toe instead? Separating them might help, though I didn't feel Injinji toe socks worked as well for me as did the cushioned tape. They're better than nothing, but on a longer hike, I still get the friction between toes. (I wrap my "ring" toe, but the one it rubs against is not the pinky toe but the middle one).

Venchka
03-29-2019, 09:00
For decades I suffered with problems similar to yours.
I tried several different brands and models of footwear. Always professionally fitted. The pros would measure my feet and tell me that I was a size 9.
I got heel and toe blisters.
One day recently the lightbulb went on.
I bought my first pair of backpacking boots from a friend. Well broken in. No blisters ever.
I remember them being a little larger than I was used to. No blisters!
They were a size 10.
Fast forward.
I joined the Cool Kids Club and switched to Off Trail Runners. Ultra Raptors. Size 9 of course.
After an all day downhill in the Rockies I had purple toenails that eventually fell of.
I swapped the size 9 Ultra Raptors for 9 1/2. I wear the thinnest Darn Tough runners socks.
Problem solved.
Sorry for being long winded. It took me 40 odd years to get back to where I started.
A half size larger shoe and thin socks.
Good luck!
Wayne

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 09:07
I'm wearing size 12 in my Altra Olympus. I usually wear an 11 in other shoes. These have the right amount of room at the end so size isn't the issue. I've been using thin synthetic liner socks and *standard* darn tough hiking socks on top of them.

Your idea about thinner socks is worth trying. I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

For decades I suffered with problems similar to yours.
I tried several different brands and models of footwear. Always professionally fitted. The pros would measure my feet and tell me that I was a size 9.
I got heel and toe blisters.
One day recently the lightbulb went on.
I bought my first pair of backpacking boots from a friend. Well broken in. No blisters ever.
I remember them being a little larger than I was used to. No blisters!
They were a size 10.
Fast forward.
I joined the Cool Kids Club and switched to Off Trail Runners. Ultra Raptors. Size 9 of course.
After an all day downhill in the Rockies I had purple toenails that eventually fell of.
I swapped the size 9 Ultra Raptors for 9 1/2. I wear the thinnest Darn Tough runners socks.
Problem solved.
Sorry for being long winded. It took me 40 odd years to get back to where I started.
A half size larger shoe and thin socks.
Good luck!
Wayne

Venchka
03-29-2019, 09:21
PS:
The Ultra Raptor’s box is labeled size 10 1/2. Go figure.
My feet tell me that the shoes are size 9 1/2.
Wayne

Traveler
03-29-2019, 09:41
A couple of thoughts:

Using tape or some kind of ointment is treating the symptom and likely not the cause. However, unless something mechanical in the shoe, socks, or hiking technique can be identified, it may be the solution of last resort. I would not use ointments, they did not do much for me except making a mess and preventing a bandaid from being applied. I would stick with tape on a clean, dry toe. The problem will be doing the same with the second toe (and subsequent toes if there is casual contact between them) so they don't blister against contact with the taped little toe. Moleskin is good for this, though athletic tape tended to work best over long periods of time when I was having problems.

Thinner socks, especially at the toe might help, the two layers of socks may be compressing your little toe against the side of the second toe. Even if its occasional minor contact it does not take a lot to raise a blister or two on that sensitive skin. You may need to try several brands and/or models of socks before you find a pair that works as you need them to. Best advice there is to get them from a retailer like REI so you can return the pairs that don't work and exchange them.

Speaking of retailers, you may find some good advice from people who understand footgear and sock interaction. Several times over the years I have gone to Eastern Mountain Sport or REI to address blistering issues and have had some excellent advice along the way that had nearly instant results.

If socks are not the issue, there is obviously some kind of movement of your foot/toes in the shoe causing the issue. A different lacing technique may be all that's required to stop the movement, google "Hiking shoe lacing techniques to prevent blisters" and you will find a lot of information, some of it may apply to inter-toe blistering. Pay close attention to how the shoe moves on your feet when on level ground or going up/down a grade and see if there is minor heel movement or the ball of your foot drifts a little, or your larger toes reach the front of the toe box allowing the smaller toes to move or "scrunch up" and change how the foot moves (which sounds like it may be part of the problem).

How old are the shoes? Over the years I have found some shoes/boots I like start to cause blisters when they are at the end of their useable life. If the shoes are older or have a lot of miles on them, you may want to consider investing in a new pair. You may find moving from trail runners to trail shoes, or trail shoes to mid height boots may provide some relief.

How old are you? When I reached my mid 50s a bunch of things started happening I was not real pleased with. Heel spurs, hammer toes, and other maladies came along that required a visit with a podiatrist. He has prescribed different orthotics over time to treat these issues without surgery that have worked fairly well. Do not underestimate what a good Podiatrist can do to help your feet.

How is your technique? Downhills, especially long duration steep terrain is where I found blisters would develop in my toes until I changed my downhill technique. I got a set of trekking poles and used them to help lessen the impact of these downhills, which seemed to help.

Any one of these or combinations can cause the problem you describe, its difficult to make that assessment by yourself even if good advice is handy. If this issue does not resolve itself in a relatively short period of time with some changes in foot wear, I would recommend a Podiatrist to look at your feet and determine why the little toe wants to do what it does.

Good luck!

illabelle
03-29-2019, 09:45
Thanks....I probably should have mentioned that too. I like Injinji toe socks and wear them whenever I put on athletic shoes----so I dig 'em. However, I've also used their toe sock liners and they didn't help with this blister issue---pretty much the same result as with regular sock liners and darn toughs.
So...I think I'm still looking for something else to try that doesn't involve losing a digit.
Injinji makes toe sock liners and other toe socks that are a little thicker. I have two pair of the liners but don't use them much anymore because they're not as effective as the thicker sock.

My little toe tends to blister because of the way that it fits against the next toe. Instead of laying out flat and straight, it sort of curls, causing more rub there than between other toes. Something to separate them seems to be the answer.

The other issue is overall tenderness of the skin on my feet. If it's early in the hiking season (like it is now in late March), my feet will get sore on the first day. Later in the season, if I've hiked regularly, my feet get tougher and better able to endure. I'll plan several dayhikes, even if they're just a couple miles, before our next week-long hike.

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 09:50
I've been doing all my recent hiking where I live which is in the lowcountry of SC (near Charleston). Zero hills here so there's no uphill or downhill cause.

I am in my early fifties and had a MTP joint replacement on the problem foot about 6 months ago. This has subtly changed my gait so it could be the cause. Professional orthotics may be in my future but I'd like to avoid that if there's another solution that works.

I've had this problem with a variety of shoes so I'm convinced that they're not the problem.

For me, the takeaway from your post is to consider trying different socks and perhaps pay more attention as I'm walking in attempt to better identify the source. Both are good advice and will be done! Thanks!

A couple of thoughts:

Using tape or some kind of ointment is treating the symptom and likely not the cause. However, unless something mechanical in the shoe, socks, or hiking technique can be identified, it may be the solution of last resort. I would not use ointments, they did not do much for me except making a mess and preventing a bandaid from being applied. I would stick with tape on a clean, dry toe. The problem will be doing the same with the second toe (and subsequent toes if there is casual contact between them) so they don't blister against contact with the taped little toe. Moleskin is good for this, though athletic tape tended to work best over long periods of time when I was having problems.

Thinner socks, especially at the toe might help, the two layers of socks may be compressing your little toe against the side of the second toe. Even if its occasional minor contact it does not take a lot to raise a blister or two on that sensitive skin. You may need to try several brands and/or models of socks before you find a pair that works as you need them to. Best advice there is to get them from a retailer like REI so you can return the pairs that don't work and exchange them.

Speaking of retailers, you may find some good advice from people who understand footgear and sock interaction. Several times over the years I have gone to Eastern Mountain Sport or REI to address blistering issues and have had some excellent advice along the way that had nearly instant results.

If socks are not the issue, there is obviously some kind of movement of your foot/toes in the shoe causing the issue. A different lacing technique may be all that's required to stop the movement, google "Hiking shoe lacing techniques to prevent blisters" and you will find a lot of information, some of it may apply to inter-toe blistering. Pay close attention to how the shoe moves on your feet when on level ground or going up/down a grade and see if there is minor heel movement or the ball of your foot drifts a little, or your larger toes reach the front of the toe box allowing the smaller toes to move or "scrunch up" and change how the foot moves (which sounds like it may be part of the problem).

How old are the shoes? Over the years I have found some shoes/boots I like start to cause blisters when they are at the end of their useable life. If the shoes are older or have a lot of miles on them, you may want to consider investing in a new pair. You may find moving from trail runners to trail shoes, or trail shoes to mid height boots may provide some relief.

How old are you? When I reached my mid 50s a bunch of things started happening I was not real pleased with. Heel spurs, hammer toes, and other maladies came along that required a visit with a podiatrist. He has prescribed different orthotics over time to treat these issues without surgery that have worked fairly well. Do not underestimate what a good Podiatrist can do to help your feet.

How is your technique? Downhills, especially long duration steep terrain is where I found blisters would develop in my toes until I changed my downhill technique. I got a set of trekking poles and used them to help lessen the impact of these downhills, which seemed to help.

Any one of these or combinations can cause the problem you describe, its difficult to make that assessment by yourself even if good advice is handy. If this issue does not resolve itself in a relatively short period of time with some changes in foot wear, I would recommend a Podiatrist to look at your feet and determine why the little toe wants to do what it does.

Good luck!

Gambit McCrae
03-29-2019, 09:56
WAIT! Before commenting on prevention being the best practice or that blisters are caused by "friction and moisture" or recommending whatever shoe that you like....PLEASE READ MY QUESTION.

tia!

I tend to get blisters on my heels and on the inside and end of my little toe. The problem with heels was solved with leukotape. Blisters on my little toe seem to form after about 7-8 miles of hiking on Day 1 and make hiking on subsequent days painful.

1) What do you do to deal with discomfort of a blister on the inside of your little toe (part next to toe #4)? Here's what I've done so far and it hasn't really helped: 1) wide toebox shoes 2) darn tough socks and thin sock liners 3) small amount of foot powder in the liner 4) tape around the little toe.

2) Any suggestions about how I might preemptively take precautions that will prevent blisters on the little toe. Should I NOT apply tape but instead apply lubrication (i.e. Vaseline)? Should I tape toes 4 and 5 together?

I'm wearing Altra Olympus shoes. They are sized appropriately and my foot is stable in them (not slipping in any direction). I have some very good reasons for using them and they really seem to work well and are not the cause of the blisters. I have other issues on this foot (MTP joint replacement) that the Olympus is well suited to address. The MTP joint replacement definitely has subtly altered my gait which could possibly be causing the blister formation on the other toe.

Looking for some good advice on both dealing with the blister "after the fact" while continuing to hike as well as prevention. Thanks for your help!

Seakayaker

I would eliminate the liners. When I changed from Darn Tuff to Smartwool PhD socks with the Altra combination my blisters went away and have never come back. 3 hiking seasons now, and about 1200+ miles with no blisters.

I also would never tape toes together and I would try some body glide for lubrication.

MuddyWaters
03-29-2019, 11:34
Im going to be condescending and harsh. But only to drive home points

Get shoes and footbeds that FIT

You wont have any blisters

Until you actually listen to advice from people that hike 20-30 mpd for thousands of miles, and have never had blisters, you will wallow in your blisters and half assed remedies.

Make all the excuses you like. No brand of sock matters.

Shoes are your most important gear item. Not to be selected lightly. No one in a store can tell you what fits your foot either, its something YOU must tune into and feel. It starts by trying on dozens of prs, at home, where you can wear around for 15 min, compare directly to others

How much effort you put into footwear selection to date?
Are you overweight with feet like hams? Shoes arent made for fat feet to be squeezed into. I know some people have no choice......but they should realize their shape contributes to it, its not just" how it is ". Ive seen shoes that appeared stretched to limits, barely able to be tied, where owner needed much wider than they stuffed themself into. Then 2 pr socks and all the related crap follows.

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 11:43
Sure hope your day gets better...

Im going to be condescending and harsh.

Get shoes and footbeds that FIT

You wont have any blisters

Until you actually listen to advice from people that hike 20-30 mpd for thousands of miles, and have never had blisters, you will wallow in your blisters and half assed remedies.

Make all the excuses you like. No brand of sock matters.

Shoes are your most important gear item. Not to be selected lightly. No one in a store can tell you what fits your foot either, its something YOU must tune into and feel. It starts by trying on dozens of prs, at home, where you can wear around for 15 min, compare directly to others

MuddyWaters
03-29-2019, 11:52
Sure hope your day gets better...

Sorry, fit....is everything.

And most people foolishly simply select popular models that they hear others use. It works for some, not everyone.

Should you really listen to people who say " heres my band-aid for my poor fit? Because you are soliciting just that.

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 12:09
I never said I had a shoe fitting problem. Quite the contrary. Shoe fit is SAT. Thanks anyway. Just looking for some possible solutions to this particular problem. Mine isn't the same as most others due to other issues which I've described.

Sorry, fit....is everything.

And most people foolishly simply select popular models that they hear others use. It works for some, not everyone.

Should you really listen to people who say " heres my band-aid for my poor fit? Because you are soliciting just that.

Dogwood
03-29-2019, 12:10
Primary, and basically only foot blister location on my feet are the inside of the little toes. It's not because of current shoe fit but after decades of previous bad fit where I chose front foot boxes to narrow for my feet. My pinky toes bent under and rub up tightly against the adjacent toe. This had also affected the pinky toe nail. My toes are also extremely long. I dont want a shoe that narrows to point. A wide toe box AND a squared off toe box shape of sufficient length to address the length of all my toes is needed. My 2 and 3 toes are both longer than the big toe.

Another thing that impacted the pinky as well as 2 and 3 toes(nails, toe tip blisters, and toe tip hot spots) are not having my foot slip forward on descents.

To prevent the pinky toe inside blisters I've started wearing Injini Merino toe socks. If i have execessive interior shoe volume i may wear a thinner injini toe sock, wool or synthetic, as the liner sock under a SW or DT, etc sock.

I've also had relief using a flexy gel sleeve around the pinky toe to reduce skin rubbing on skin. This is best done preventively and with using a wide enough toe box. If not you could start getting a hot spot on the outside of the pinky toe and possibly now on the inside of the adjacent toe

MuddyWaters
03-29-2019, 12:19
I never said I had a shoe fitting problem. Quite the contrary. Shoe fit is SAT. Thanks anyway. Just looking for some possible solutions to this particular problem. Mine isn't the same as most others due to other issues which I've described.

You get blisters on your heel, and little toe, in trail runners, but continue to disavow that you have a fit problem....

OK.

Precisely why im harsh.

How many pr of shoes have you tried to solve the issue? Zero? Thats my guess.

Yeah, $120 a pop is expensive to try, thats what running warehouse and zappos are for.

Fit is more than foot go in the shoe.

Where does it rub? Where is it tight, where is it loose.

Where do it rub with swollen feet after 25 mile day?

When you find nirvana fit, you know it from moment slip new shoe on. The smallest irrtitations get worse with time.

Dogwood
03-29-2019, 12:31
It's a good pt made that you don't want excessively tight and compressed toe box areas from too thick socks or sock layerings but the reverse can happen too. Toes will more around excessively causing blisters too. While i was transitioning to better fitting shoes when my pinky toes were still badly mishapened from improper past shoe fits I thought a loose wider toe box area was the immediate answer. Too much room in the toe box area resulted in too much forefoot and toe movement and more pressure on the pinky toe tip underside that it wasn't accustomed. Now my feet and toes habe splayed out more and the force is more equally balanced on each toe.

I hope that helps

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 12:31
Thanks again.

You get blisters on your heel, and little toe, in trail runners, but continue to disavow that you have a fit problem....

OK.

Precisely why im harsh.

How many pr of shoes have you tried to solve the issue? Zero? Thats my guess.

Yeah, $120 a pop is expensive to try, thats what running warehouse and zappos are for.

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 12:35
Thanks. I think I've just got some trial and error to do. Going to try thinner socks, cushioning tape, and also normal DT hikers without liners. Will post back once I have an idea what has best worked for me.

It's a good pt made that you don't want excessively tight and compressed toe box areas from too thick socks or sock layerings but the reverse can happen too. Toes will more around excessively causing blisters too. While i was transitioning to better fitting shoes when my pinky toes were still badly mishapened from improper past shoe fits I thought a loose wider toe box area was the immediate answer. Too much room in the toe box area resulted in too much forefoot and toe movement and more pressure on the pinky toe tip underside that it wasn't accustomed. Now my feet and toes habe splayed out more and the force is more equally balanced on each toe.

I hope that helps

Dogwood
03-29-2019, 12:45
It's not just shoe fit.

I used to occasionally get heel blisters right where it transitioned to the side of the heel from poor after market ortho/footbed fit.

This same thing can happen with blisters on the bottom sides of toes and the outer sides of the big and pinky toes particularly so with Altras anatomical designs and wide toe boxes! BE CAREFUL getting footbeds that fit with altras.

Yet another thing that can cause blisters when transitioning to zero drop little to no arch support wider than previous shoe model use is ones foot and possibly mechanics can change. When having a pinky toe that has previously been mashed under the adjacent toe going to altras can be an issue. These transitions might be better approached incrementally.

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 12:59
"These transitions might be better approached incrementally"

Agreed!

Gambit McCrae
03-29-2019, 14:09
If you are getting blisters you have a fit problem. If the shoe fit like it is suppose to then there wouldn't be blisters.

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 14:45
Thanks all around for advice received. Will definitely be trying out several methods proposed here for relief!

Dogwood
03-29-2019, 15:01
I've experienced and seen it happen to others blister issues on toes occuring with proper shoe fit.

But one example are great anatomically fitting shoes combined with too thick or unbreathable of a sock in high heat or gaiters. Anatomical fit can be dialed in but if the shoe itself doesnt also vent hot spots can develop turning into blisties. Then we can choose a shoe too open a mesh to get the breathability that lets too much sand and small stones in which can lead to hot spots. Jackie O "Yogi" talks about this in her gear recs of PCT shoes for the Mojave in her PCT guidebook.

Yet, increasingly folks are moving away from these treasure chests of golden nuggets info sources mis-assuming minmalist answers are always the personal answer. That's not the path to mastery or nessarily the shortest ultimate path. Learn from what others have experinced and advise that you trust that are leaders. Learn from them what they've learned through their mistakes.

Foot comfort is not optional for a backpacker.

stephanD
03-29-2019, 15:01
A few tips:
1. your hiking shoes must be at least one size BIGGER than your regular size shoes.
2. Wear liner socks under your hiking socks to reduce friction. Your liners must be very thin and made of non cotton synthetic fabric (e.g. polyester).
3. apply a thin layer of A & D ointment before hiking and massage well into the skin. Do not massage over blisters.
4. Keep your feet dry, especially between the toes. I carry two pairs of liner socks, so i can change when one pair is wet.
5. Let your feet "breathe" at the end of the day. If you still have the energy, you may wash them with a bottle of water.

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 15:16
Thanks!

A few tips:
1. your hiking shoes must be at least one size BIGGER than your regular size shoes.

2. Wear liner socks under your hiking socks to reduce friction. Your liners must be very thin and made of non cotton synthetic fabric (e.g. polyester). ✔
3. apply a thin layer of A & D ointment before hiking and massage well into the skin. Do not massage over blisters. will try this!
4. Keep your feet dry, especially between the toes. I carry two pairs of liner socks, so i can change when one pair is wet. ✔
5. Let your feet "breathe" at the end of the day. If you still have the energy, you may wash them with a bottle of water.✔

Dogwood
03-29-2019, 15:21
Stephan is adding in another important factor in reducing hot spots beyond gear. User abilities in caring for their feet play a role.

Dry those tootsies, air them out,...If wet feet are expected read through skurkas tending to wet feet piece. The info is there if we focus away from the fluff. The How to Fix your Feet book goes into good detail. And as Muddy said get pro advice from and buy running, hiking, and backpacking shoes from those in the know, typically running stores or those with excellent foot depTS that have industy qualified and certified associates.

As hikers, runners, and backpackers our feet deserve no less.

FreeGoldRush
03-29-2019, 15:45
Two points:

1) Hike often. Weeks between hikes won’t do. Feet acclimate. I can’t explain why.

2) See Rob at Outdoor 76 in Franklin, NC. He has a long history of fixing foot issues for thru hikers. Fixed mine.

I have the same little toe blister issue just as you described. It is now manageable.

seakayaker
03-29-2019, 15:48
Thank you!

Two points:

1) Hike often. Weeks between hikes won’t do. Feet acclimate. I can’t explain why. ✔

2) See Rob at Outdoor 76 in Franklin, NC. He has a long history of fixing foot issues for thru hikers. Fixed mine. Will do!

I have the same little toe blister issue just as you described. It is now manageable.

Puddlefish
03-29-2019, 16:05
I used to get toe blisters when my feet get wet.

I found liners just added extra heat and sweat. Some sort of body glide between the toes helped, and the Injinji toe socks helped even more. Cleaning and airing my feet/toes with alcohol wipes with an extended lunch break helped harden the skin a bit, and of course the same kind of drying out your feet care in the evenings.

Never accept blister care advice from that guy on the trail with the huge weeping/shredded blisters.

Traveler
03-30-2019, 08:46
I would eliminate the liners. When I changed from Darn Tuff to Smartwool PhD socks with the Altra combination my blisters went away and have never come back. 3 hiking seasons now, and about 1200+ miles with no blisters.

I also would never tape toes together and I would try some body glide for lubrication.

I have to agree with the liners, I used to use them and the same day I forgot to bring them and went without, my toe blister issues stopped cold. They may not seem to be a culprit, but the fraction of inches they take up can make a huge difference.

Also, if you are using boots or trail shoes, you may want to take them back to the retailer and have the toe area giving you problems stretched a little. This works well with leather and some fabrics. If they are trail runners, you won't find much relief. If your retailer does not have a boot stretcher, find one who does so you can make minor adjustments.

Lastly, I have to agree with Muddy. Shoes matter a lot, so if the simple "fixes" of socks/liners and lacing don't work, you are left with the probable cause. Find a retailer you can discuss this with, get some good advice, and a return policy that would allow you to use new footgear for a few miles to see if it cures the problem.

Stay at it, these problems are solvable but can take time to wade through the process of elimination!

TexasBob
03-30-2019, 10:22
I have to agree with the liners, I used to use them and the same day I forgot to bring them and went without, my toe blister issues stopped cold. They may not seem to be a culprit, but the fraction of inches they take up can make a huge difference...................

My experience is different. Liners and a sock change solved my blister issues. The material the liner was made from made all the difference. Changing sock brands helped, adding polyester liners made things worse. Silk liners were the key. Once I started wearing the silk liners I said good-bye to hot-spots and blisters.

George
03-30-2019, 14:33
I cut out part of the insole to make room- field expediant solution that works

TwoSpirits
03-30-2019, 16:09
Try barrier wipes. You can find them on Amazon. Adhesive barrier wipes come in small little envelope similar to an alcohol prep pad. They are used as to provide a tacky adhesive base for wound dressings, and they also serve as a protective barrier for the skin.

I apply by wiping them on some of my known trouble spots (like my small toe or heel) -- wipe on a thin layer, let dry, apply another layer and let dry. This essentially becomes a second skin, and I haven't deceloped any blisters on my toes or heel when I have applied this at the beginning of the day. I have found that a couple of applications can last a few days.

If you already have developed a blister, wipe a thin film of this on the skin around the blister before taping -- it will help the tape adhere better, and protect the surrounding skin from damage or irritation from the tape.

I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but this works for me.

Five Tango
03-31-2019, 09:32
Every foot,shoe,brand and style of sock is different.You have to experiment to find your own solutions.My silk liners are just not compatible with my shoes and outer socks.However,throw an REI light wool liner sock in the mix and all is good.

Dogwood
04-01-2019, 03:30
Supinate? Could the MTP replacement have changed your pronation even if only slightly on one side? You could be favoring walking on the outside edge of that pinky toe blister foot. Are your pinky toe blisters on just the one foot or both?

I was using the Olympus 2.5 and 3 as a neutral. Where I goofed was going to zero drop from 4-5 stacks with a high arch. Altra stoCk beds are for flatish feet. They offer little in arch if going stock. First time ever in life I'm fkin dealing with debilitating PT. Ugh! I added arch support after markets but going to the zero drop screwed me up.

I mention the after market orthos because it's hard to find bought after markets that fit the Altra foot bed shape properly in the forefoot for 14 size. If you don't get that right you can start getting blisties under the toe pads and maybe between the pinky and next toe

seakayaker
04-01-2019, 07:41
First of all....thanks for actually reading my question before blaring out "it's a shoe problem". I've got 50+ yrs experience wearing a variety of shoes and have had issues with heel blisters wearing all manner of them for as long as I can remember. I'm not concerned about the heel blisters, leukotape works well for that and I'm sure there are at least 1/2 dozen other solutions that work equally well. Everyone can have an opinion about shoes...it gets more complicated and specific when talking about feet! No one has my feet (and no one has yours or anyone else's). I'm looking for those willing to share their experiences solving similar problems with THEIR feet. There's a lot feet out there and someone has a solution that will work for me.

The MTP replacement certainly could have changed my pronation on that side. That is the only side where I am experiencing blisters on the little toe. So I think this is certainly the most likely culprit, not necessarily "THE culprit" but the one that can't be ignored.

Orthotics may be in my future. I've worn prescribed orthotics for plantar fasciitis years ago. I agree that goes on the list of possible solutions

Also...I'm flat footed so I don't consider the zero drop design of Altras to be an issue. Having the problem only on one foot also lends credence to this. My Altras are sized appropriately and there's no slippage forward/back or side-to-side.

Just based on my own experience and what I've read from others here, the first things I'll try (if only due to the ease and cost of trying) will be one or a combination of the below:

* no liners (I've been using thin, synthetic liners)---several folks commented on this being the solution for them (wouldn't that be great!)
* thinner socks (going to try DT running socks)
* lubrication (Vaseline, hikergoo, etc.)
* more powder (have been using a miniscule amount...must be sure to not use so much as to cause clumping though)
* on longer hikes will definitely remove shoes and socks, clean/dry feet, and possibly even change socks

Supinate? Could the MTP replacement have changed your pronation even if only slightly on one side? You could be favoring walking on the outside edge of that pinky toe blister foot. Are your pinky toe blisters on just the one foot or both?

I was using the Olympus 2.5 and 3 as a neutral. Where I goofed was going to zero drop from 4-5 stacks with a high arch. Altra stoCk beds are for flatish feet. They offer little in arch if going stock. First time ever in life I'm fkin dealing with debilitating PT. Ugh! I added arch support after markets but going to the zero drop screwed me up.

I mention the after market orthos because it's hard to find bought after markets that fit the Altra foot bed shape properly in the forefoot for 14 size. If you don't get that right you can start getting blisties under the toe pads and maybe between the pinky and next toe

Traveler
04-01-2019, 08:39
First of all....thanks for actually reading my question before blaring out "it's a shoe problem". I've got 50+ yrs experience wearing a variety of shoes and have had issues with heel blisters wearing all manner of them for as long as I can remember. I'm not concerned about the heel blisters, leukotape works well for that and I'm sure there are at least 1/2 dozen other solutions that work equally well. Everyone can have an opinion about shoes...it gets more complicated and specific when talking about feet! No one has my feet (and no one has yours or anyone else's). I'm looking for those willing to share their experiences solving similar problems with THEIR feet. There's a lot feet out there and someone has a solution that will work for me.

The MTP replacement certainly could have changed my pronation on that side. That is the only side where I am experiencing blisters on the little toe. So I think this is certainly the most likely culprit, not necessarily "THE culprit" but the one that can't be ignored.

Orthotics may be in my future. I've worn prescribed orthotics for plantar fasciitis years ago. I agree that goes on the list of possible solutions

Also...I'm flat footed so I don't consider the zero drop design of Altras to be an issue. Having the problem only on one foot also lends credence to this. My Altras are sized appropriately and there's no slippage forward/back or side-to-side.

Just based on my own experience and what I've read from others here, the first things I'll try (if only due to the ease and cost of trying) will be one or a combination of the below:

* no liners (I've been using thin, synthetic liners)---several folks commented on this being the solution for them (wouldn't that be great!)
* thinner socks (going to try DT running socks)
* lubrication (Vaseline, hikergoo, etc.)
* more powder (have been using a miniscule amount...must be sure to not use so much as to cause clumping though)
* on longer hikes will definitely remove shoes and socks, clean/dry feet, and possibly even change socks

These problems can be vexing, though it often amazes me how effective even minor changes in footgear can be. Good luck with the approach you have laid out. If you think of it, once you have gone through the list, rekindle this thread and let us know what happened. There are a lot of folks who read the forum this can benefit.

stephanD
04-01-2019, 09:12
A few tips:
2. Wear liner socks under your hiking socks to reduce friction. Your liners must be very thin and made of non cotton synthetic fabric (e.g. polyester).
3. apply a thin layer of A & D ointment before hiking and massage well into the skin. Do not massage over blisters.
4. Keep your feet dry, especially between the toes. I carry two pairs of liner socks, so i can change when one pair is wet.
5. Let your feet "breathe" at the end of the day. If you still have the energy, you may wash them with a bottle of water.

How could i forget the most important tip?!?!?! toe nails. Untrimmed toenails are a major cause for blisters and all kind of foot pains. So my tip # 6: trim your toenails before hiking, and if your hike is over a week long, take a nail clipper with you. I have seen nail clippers in hostels for hikers to use, but.....

Deacon
04-01-2019, 10:19
I haven’t read every post on this thread so consider this.

When you stand barefoot and look at your toes, do any of them tend to turn and land under an adjacent toe? If so you may consider toe straighteners such as these.

There are several types, and some of the smaller more compact ones can benefit hiking.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4Pcs-Full-Loops-Toe-Separator-Half-Loops-Toe-Stretcher-Toe-Separator-Toe-Spacers-Toe-Stretchers-Easy-Wear-Shoes-Quickly-Alleviating-Pain-Yoga-Sports-/642387404

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

seakayaker
04-01-2019, 10:47
None of my toes appear to do as you suggest. However, my little toes have taken a beating over the years (stubbed toes!) so they're far from straight.

Those toe straighteners are interesting though and might do the trick. Will consider them.

For anyone else reading...there's a mind-blowing number of these on Amazon too. Evidently Amazon is the Baskin-Robbins of toe straighteners.

I haven’t read every post on this thread so consider this.

When you stand barefoot and look at your toes, do any of them tend to turn and land under an adjacent toe? If so you may consider toe straighteners such as these.

There are several types, and some of the smaller more compact ones can benefit hiking.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4Pcs-Full-Loops-Toe-Separator-Half-Loops-Toe-Stretcher-Toe-Separator-Toe-Spacers-Toe-Stretchers-Easy-Wear-Shoes-Quickly-Alleviating-Pain-Yoga-Sports-/642387404

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Venchka
04-01-2019, 10:56
One more shot in the dark:
At 72+ years of age I visited a physical therapist for the first time.
In less than half an hour of examination, he informed me that my left leg is 1/2” short. A simple heel lift in my left shoe corrected the problem.
Good luck! I hope you find a solution!
Wayne

Dogwood
04-01-2019, 11:52
[QUOTE=seakayaker;2242611]First of all....thanks for actually reading my question before blaring out ....

Everyone can have an opinion about shoes...it gets more complicated and specific when talking about feet! No one has my feet (and no one has yours or anyone else's). I'm looking for those willing to share their experiences solving similar problems with THEIR feet. There's a lot feet out there...[quote]

You shouldn't have to say TU to those willing to reply for entirely reading and considering your situation. That should be expected. You're welcome though.

That's so right about shoes and feet.

OwenM
04-01-2019, 17:38
I'd ditch the liners as well, but I'm not "in your shoes". In the meantime, you might try Johnson and Johnson athletic/coach tape, cut to width for that little toe. This is also what Metolius rebrands as climber's tape, and works better than other brands for whatever reason. Unlike a bandaid or some other tapes, it'll stay in place until you take it off, whenever that is.

MtDoraDave
04-01-2019, 22:22
People with a lot more experience than I have chimed in, but I understand that moisture is one of the leading causes of foot blisters.
My feet sweat a lot. A lot. Prior to a hike, for several days, I spray my feet with anti perspirant spray (aarid xxdry), and it has a carry over effect for several days once I hit the trail.

LDog
04-06-2019, 09:55

Seakayaker

I’d recommend two things. Get “Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes” by Vonhof, John. Avail on Amazon

The advice I got from that, which fixed my problem with blisters on the inside of my little toe, was to carefully trim and file toenails! His point is that sharp edges on toe nails catch on socks and cause the toe to move and rub against adjacent toes.

My dad taught my to trim my toenails straight across. Not rounded. Well, that creates sharp corners. For whatever reason, that toenail also curves up a bit. I started rounding my toenails, and filing them smooth, and my toe blister problem went away.

I also no longer scratch my wife’s legs. So there’s that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RockDoc
04-06-2019, 18:53
Read Fixing your feet for the whole low down on blisters.

MaggyS12
04-06-2019, 22:41
I had a very similar problem. Tried something called toe sleeves, on Amazon. They are silicone sleeves that fit over your toes, and prevent the rubbing....very comfortable!

Marta
04-07-2019, 00:03
Risk, the MD who wrote The Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike, made a basic point about blisters: blisters form in the presence of heat, friction, and moisture. So the question is: which of these factors are causing your toe blisters?

Things I do that helps me prevent blisters:

If the weather is going to be at all warm, I wear the most ventilated shoes I can find. My usual shoe is Brooks Cascadia. I like Altra Lone Peaks because of the wide toe box, but they seem warmer on my feet than the Cascadias. Except for boots used for snowshoeing in the winter, I never buy shoes with a vapor barrier liner, or any sort of waterproofing.

I wear very thin socks, usually a liner sock alone.

My hiking shoes are longer and wider than my normal shoes. (My most serious foot issue is a Morton's neuroma. I've had surgery, but it's a still a problem. Like your blisters, it usually starts showing up after 7-10 miles. Hot weather and the associated swelling of the feet, is a big problem. In summer I often hike in Chacos, which seems to help.)

I keep my toenails trimmed quite close, paying special attention to eliminating sharp corners on the little toenails, since they can irritate the insides of the fourth toes.

When I take a break, every hour or two, I take off my shoes, take off my socks, take the insoles out of my shoes, knock out all the sand and debris, and spread everything in the sun to dry out. I manually clean the dirt out from between my toes. A squirt of Purell really dries skin out, if that seems necessary. I try to rest with my feet at least as high up as the level of my hips. Maybe rub my feet to redistribute the blood, and reduce swelling. (This happens when it's hot out, and not raining.)

Toe socks have had mixed results for me. They come is a wide variety of thicknesses and cuff heights. Some of them have worked well. Other pairs have caused problems, riding down into my shoe, and having the fabric bunch up around my toes.

I personally haven't tried it, but I had a frequent hiking partner who puts Vaseline on her foot in spots where she otherwise gets blisters. I have to say that her feet look quite soft and not at all calloused, like most hikers' feet look. I've talked to other hikers who use Body Glide on problem spots.

Good luck solving this problem.

seakayaker
04-07-2019, 08:04
Calling this fixed....I just completed a 2 day hike on the Art Loeb Trail. No blisters on problem little toe.

Here's the combination of things that worked for me:

* Careful attention to trimming/filing nails pre-hike. I'd categorize this a "obsessive attention".
* Foot powder. Not so much as to cause clumping.
* 3M Nexcare waterproof tape around little toe. This worked better than Leuokotape to me. Remove all tape at the end of the day.
* I ditched the liner----but only the on the problem foot. I think this is key...everyone has different feet. Even the same person has different feet! So...liner+DT hiker sock on good foot and just a DT hiker sock on problem foot.
* Kept the Altra Olympus size 12 shoes. They did great. I normally wear anywhere between a 10.5 and 11.5 depending on shoe/brand.

Some of the steps above were taken as the result of advice received here (esp 3M tape and ditching liner) so thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread!

perrypt2
04-07-2019, 11:36
Glad your toe problem is better. You said you had a MTP replacement. Did you regain your normal range of motion in that joint. This type of surgery can change your foot mechanics. Since you were getting a blister on the little toe, you are shifting weight to the outside of the foot. You also remarked about having flat feet. Your metatarsal arch is probably flattened which combined with altered mechanics will cause your blister.

Consider putting a metatarsal pad under the insole of your shoe to restore the metatarsal arch. You could also be fitted with an orthotic by someone who understands hiking as well. Just remember that your footbed in your shoes are critical to happy hiking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk