PDA

View Full Version : DCF Comaprisons

fastfoxengineering
04-03-2019, 16:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS6IQm0eyJY

Here's me blabbering for 25 minutes about different DCF weights. Might be worthwhile for some folks interested in DCF gear. Goes to show you how well it holds up to lots of use.

Enjoy.. this is the start of my fame on youtube.

Dogwood
04-04-2019, 00:37
Who makes the 1.43 DCF food sack?

Thats was the first HMG pod review seen

Lots of bread bags you have. :)

fastfoxengineering
04-04-2019, 06:36
Who makes the 1.43 DCF food sack?

Thats was the first HMG pod review seen

Lots of bread bags you have. :)Thats just a zpacks food bag.

I'm a big fan of that pod for many reasons and i think its earned a place it my kit forever. It rides on top of my pack liner and contains my hygiene kit, fak, guide books, maps, electronics, etc. Good place to keep my gloves and hat. And it waterproofs everything again. For 1 ounce, i really like it. Fits all my packs well.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Recalc
04-04-2019, 08:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS6IQm0eyJYEnjoy.. this is the start of my fame on youtube.
Your off to a good start. Enjoyed your video & got a better appreciation of DCF weights.

fastfoxengineering
04-04-2019, 10:39
Your off to a good start. Enjoyed your video & got a better appreciation of DCF weights.Stay tuned. Im going to go through each of the weights in greater detail with a shorter video focusing on each one.

MikekiM
04-04-2019, 18:59
Bummer.. what happened to your vid? Is the link busted or did you pull it down?

fastfoxengineering
04-04-2019, 19:02
Bummer.. what happened to your vid? Is the link busted or did you pull it down?As i learn to navigate youtube i by accidently deleted it lol.. reuploading now. Takes an hour though

fastfoxengineering
04-04-2019, 19:47
https://youtu.be/nLsyp3wy2Fk

D2maine
04-06-2019, 06:21
https://youtu.be/nLsyp3wy2Fk

this video removed by user...:(

fastfoxengineering
04-06-2019, 09:34
this video removed by user...:(I decided to take it down and do a more in depth/scientific comparison series. Ill let you know as a post them. Making a new video today

fastfoxengineering
04-12-2019, 20:21
New Video is up and the series has began. let me know if you have any ideas or would like to see something particular

bbikebbs
04-12-2019, 22:17
New Video is up and the series has began. let me know if you have any ideas or would like to see something particular

Is there a link available?

fastfoxengineering
04-12-2019, 22:45
Is there a link available?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EpuPJSF8Uo&t=197s

chknfngrs
04-16-2019, 13:42
You should talk about cottage industry vs big box too

https://www.rei.com/product/150051/big-agnes-tiger-wall-2-carbon-tent

fastfoxengineering
04-16-2019, 14:21
You should talk about cottage industry vs big box too

https://www.rei.com/product/150051/big-agnes-tiger-wall-2-carbon-tentYou buyin? Lol

Tipi Walter
04-16-2019, 14:30
I buy alot of expensive backpacking gear---Hilleberg tents, McHale pack, WM bag---but I have yet to fall into the Cuben fiber Wishing Well. Too old school I guess.

CalebJ
04-16-2019, 14:49
I buy alot of expensive backpacking gear---Hilleberg tents, McHale pack, WM bag---but I have yet to fall into the Cuben fiber Wishing Well. Too old school I guess.
I get it for a tarp, where there's an assumption of some level of experience and all sorts of ability to flexibly customize the deployment, plus an existing prioritization of weight. It honestly makes very little sense to my feeble brain for a complete floored tent. Diminishing returns and all that. For a pack, the weight savings really don't make any sense to me at all. The weight savings vs Dyneema or other rugged materials that are significantly less expensive to use is remarkably small (1.3 ounces for the pack I typically use).

fastfoxengineering
04-16-2019, 15:02
I get it for a tarp, where there's an assumption of some level of experience and all sorts of ability to flexibly customize the deployment, plus an existing prioritization of weight. It honestly makes very little sense to my feeble brain for a complete floored tent. Diminishing returns and all that. For a pack, the weight savings really don't make any sense to me at all. The weight savings vs Dyneema or other rugged materials that are significantly less expensive to use is remarkably small (1.3 ounces for the pack I typically use).Hybrid cuben backpacks are very durable, light, and highly water resistant.

They are just expensive.

fastfoxengineering
04-16-2019, 15:03
I buy alot of expensive backpacking gear---Hilleberg tents, McHale pack, WM bag---but I have yet to fall into the Cuben fiber Wishing Well. Too old school I guess.Anything youd like to see Tipi? I have a couple sets of cuben swatches to destroy

CalebJ
04-16-2019, 15:25
Hybrid cuben backpacks are very durable, light, and highly water resistant.
They are just expensive.

Wouldn't those same attributes apply to Dyneema X (minus an ounce or so) but at a much lower price point?

Tipi Walter
04-16-2019, 15:54
Anything youd like to see Tipi? I have a couple sets of cuben swatches to destroy

Thanks for the offer---but I'm trying to wear out all the gear I already have and I don't think it's going to happen. Meaning---Too old to change.

Hosh
04-16-2019, 20:46

Well, when you start walking more than 2 miles a day, you’ll want to look in to it.

Tipi Walter
04-16-2019, 21:22
Well, when you start walking more than 2 miles a day, you’ll want to look in to it.

Must've missed my last trip report here on Whiteblaze. I pulled several 6 mile days and one 10 mile day. And even while carrying several pounds of peanut butter.
Seven miles into a Ten Mile Day.

colorado_rob
04-17-2019, 11:51
Thanks for that video, OP. My little treatise on Cuben, having now owned 2 DCF tents and numerous stuff sacks and a pack cover (all zpacks bought, alas....):

I own and have used a 0.51 zpacks solo+ tent, probably 120 nights or so, probably more, still going strong, no rips/tears anywhere. Similar story on a 0.74 DCF zpacks duplex, though fewer nights, maybe 80 or so (3 years old vs. 6 for the solo+). Though the 0.51 has held up fine, I still prefer the 0.74 of the duplex. I couldn't care less about the tents transparency or lack thereof, I just like the feel of the slightly thicker fabric of the 0.74. Just because of this feeling, I think it's worth the extra $15 and couple of ounces.

I do NOT particularly like the cuben stuff sacks, though I do continue using them (because I bought the dam things....). I only carry a few stuff sacks anyway, so the extra few tenths of an ounce for the sil-nylon sacks are OK.

I do like the zpacks DFC pack cover. For the most part, pack covers are ancillary anyway, given a mostly waterproof pack and a plastic bag inner liner I use. But at only 1.5 ounces, in the wetter climates, keeping my pack drier probably saves a bit of net weight (my measurements show a moderately wet empty pack weighs about 5 ounces more than a dry one), plus having that extra layer of waterproofness is worth the 1.5 ounces.

Bottom line, I'm a huge DCF tent fan, worth the $$$$$, if either of mine wear out, I will replace (solo+ for myself, the duplex for when with my wife). first pic shows both tents on SHR a couple years ago; I loaned the solo to a buddy who had joined us.