PDA

View Full Version : BMT and then some

Scribe24
04-04-2019, 09:11
I live near Damascus, which gives me decent opportunities to find a lot of long-distance trails in "walking distance." With that in mind, I'm planning to walk down to Davenport Gap later this year, where it's possible to jump on the Benton MacKaye Trail going south toward the southern terminus, which the BMT shares with the AT. From there I can make my way home along the AT. In total, about 1000 miles. Probably gonna head out in the middle of July. Anyone else planning a BMT thru-hike/AT loop this year?

Dogwood
04-04-2019, 11:06
The BMT/AT Figure 8 is about 508 miles. Did it several yrs ago in winter/spring while adding to the Gummy Bear(the Fig 8) the lollipop stick starting at AF SP and ending there. You're doing the Dam to Davey stick. :D Like it Scribe, pushing creative comfort zones! On the way back you can do the Creeeper, Tuscarora, or connect to Art Loeb segments to switch it up more or get some of the MST. You're thinking interconnected trail system which brings a much wider range of experiences to the horizon. It's a big beautiful east coast hiking trail system we have on the east coast. Nice to see outside of the box thinkers appreciating it. :cool:

Tipi Walter
04-04-2019, 11:55
I just spent about 10 days on the BMT in March and ran into 3 distinct BMT backpackers---guys named Plug It In, Sean and U-Turn. Anyone know U-Turn??

If you come south thru the Smokies you might run into me.

Dogwood
04-04-2019, 12:30
Dont know him but have crossed paths with U turn somewhere.

Tipi, you're entering permit land?

Tipi Walter
04-04-2019, 12:34
Dont know him but have crossed paths with U turn somewhere.

Tipi, you're entering permit land?

No, I meant WAY SOUTH of the Smokies.

JC13
04-04-2019, 13:41
I just spent about 10 days on the BMT in March and ran into 3 distinct BMT backpackers---guys named Plug It In, Sean and U-Turn. Anyone know U-Turn??

If you come south thru the Smokies you might run into me.I know Plug It In, and I know of U-turn. He had posted in the Pinhoti groups I frequent. Hope to be out on the BMT later this year.