PDA

View Full Version : Mail Drops Vs Buying food along the way??

Jones134679
02-26-2006, 23:54
I have been doing some research (maybe not enough) but i was wondering if it was easier to mail food or just buy it from town to town. My plan as of right now is to have my girlfriend ship me food...kinda like MRE's,dehydrated,freeze-dried...I know it is going to cost alot either way i just wanna know what is easier, the only problem is i am having a problem getting shipping address to all the mail drops. Does the data book from the AT website have a list??

hammock engineer
02-27-2006, 00:29
I thought about that, but to save money I am going to buy along the way. Lots of threads about this one. Postage adds up, plus making the post office during their hours could be a pain.

But that is just how I am going to start out. Stay flexable and do what works for you.

Tinker
02-27-2006, 00:52
I thought about that, but to save money I am going to buy along the way. Lots of threads about this one. Postage adds up, plus making the post office during their hours could be a pain.

But that is just how I am going to start out. Stay flexable and do what works for you.

Doing sections, I've had the opportunity to meet many wonderful town people hitching back to my car on numerous occasions, and resupplying in town on a few. If I did a thru, I definitely wouldn't want to have to schedule my life around mail drops.

Now a bounce box, that's a different story.

From what I've heard, most people starting in late March or early April mail home their "winter" gear after finishing the Smokies, and have it mailed back to them before they hit the White Mountains (my stomping grounds) in the months of July and August. I've had it sleet on me on the third weekend of July on Mt. Bond in the Whites. "Worst weather in the world", they say.

MacGyver2005
02-27-2006, 08:51
...From what I've heard, most people starting in late March or early April mail home their "winter" gear after finishing the Smokies, and have it mailed back to them before they hit the White Mountains (my stomping grounds) in the months of July and August...

The majority of the time you definitely want to keep your winter gear until you pass Mt. Rogers.

Kerosene
02-27-2006, 08:55
Doing sections, I've had the opportunity to meet many wonderful town people hitching back to my car on numerous occasions, and resupplying in town on a few. If I did a thru, I definitely wouldn't want to have to schedule my life around mail drops.

Now a bounce box, that's a different story.I concur. If I was going to do a thru-hike, I would bounce a box with infrequently needed gear/supplies to the next big trail town that I knew I would be stopping at, regardless of the day of the week.

Tinker doesn't mention that you will get sick of some types of food over the months, and you'll end up eating a lot more than you'd expect, so even if you did mail drops you would likely have to hit the store.

kyhipo
02-27-2006, 09:47
I say go for a mix of mail drops and buying food,Its always nice to have things shipped from home ect ect.But make sure not to bank on your maildrops for sure,Have them sent to towns where you can ressupply if your drop does not come.ky

Grampie
02-27-2006, 10:04
You realy don't need to do a lot of mail drops. Don't matter what you think you will want to eat, it will change. I saw hiker box's at hostels and P.O. loaded with food that hikers didn't want.
It's nice to get some stuff from home once in a while but I wouldn't want to depend on mail drops for my primary food resupply.
Buy in towns along the way. Gives you a chance to change your menu and also get some fresh veg. and fruit.
If you plan to send supply box's. Don't send stuff too far ahead. You have to remember 80% who start will fail.:-?

Peaks
02-27-2006, 10:23
There are plenty of threads on this issue. Listen to what others have posted.

I think that one thing almost everyone agrees on: If they were to thru-hike again, they would use fewer mail drops. Must be a good reason why.

Mouse
02-27-2006, 10:27
I bought my food. But if I went again I would mail hard-to-find staples like textured vegatable protein, instant hummas, pea soup, bean soup, vegatarian chili mix.. Only a couple stores I found had them and they make a nice change from ramen and tuna.

Jack Tarlin
02-27-2006, 19:50
In most cases, you'll do just fine buying what you need as you go. This will save on postage, as well as preventing you from getting stuck eating stuff you bought in March and are sick of by summertime. There are actually very few places where it makes sense to send food by mail; youll be surprised at how many opportunities there are to buy as you go.

There are a ton of threads here at WB on the subject, just do a search on "Food", "Maildrops", or "Re-Supply."

There's also a ton of information in the "Articles" section of Whiteblaze.

As far as useful addresses go, see the Thru Hiker's Handbook or Thru-Hiker's Companion, which contain all the information you'l need on where to send mail, food, or anything else. The Companion can be viewed online at www.aldha.org

Ridge
02-27-2006, 19:58
I used mail-drops primarily, I wanted items such as coffee, power bars, etc , along with other supplies that I knew I'd use. Couldn't have done without this. In towns, stores, along the AT I purchased meats fresh fruit, eggs, stuff I'd use quickly. I bounced boxes a few times.

TACKLE
02-27-2006, 20:15
I think you could buy food as you go,it is cheaper,and less worry (about timing).On the other hand,I'm sure everyone has something special they can't find along the way.Have them sent to a town that's close to the trail,that your sure you're gonna be stopping at.But the best thing about maildrops are the letters of encouragement from friends and family.

Ridge
02-27-2006, 20:25
I don't know how folks can say it's "cheaper" along the trail. The postage for the food stuff adds some to the other supplies sent. But, I found stuff to be very high, unless in a larger market or Wal-Marts, which were few and far between. Some of the stuff I saw in small convenience stores where out of date, and very expensive.

Scaper
02-28-2006, 00:02
I bought all my food in stores along the way and did fine. Scaper Ga-ME 90