PDA

View Full Version : Ever wish you had an oven in the backcountry?

Cloudwalker
02-27-2006, 00:20
Tonight I put the finishing touches on my alcohol fired oven. I managed to cook four hot biscuits in less than 7 minutes. Of course my first attempt didn't turn out very well but after a tweak here and there I actually got the thing to bake.

You can check it out here: http://www.cloudwalkersbasecamp.com/alcohol_oven.html

Tinker
02-27-2006, 01:07
Here's another way to do it. I tried it, and it worked, but I haven't done it on the trail yet. (I made brownies without milk, eggs, or butter - I used oil. It turned out satisfactory, and would have been a delicacy on the trail.

Tinker
02-27-2006, 01:07
Here's another way to do it. I tried it, and it worked, but I haven't done it on the trail yet. (I made brownies without milk, eggs, or butter - I used oil. It turned out satisfactory, and would have been a delicacy on the trail.

Oops, sorry, here's the link:

http://trailquest.net/baking.html

Hana_Hanger
02-27-2006, 07:15
Wow thanks for sharing...I think you did a great job.
On a cold rainy day those hot biscuits with hmmmmm some strawberry jelly or honey with a hot cup of tea or coffee...sounds great!
Watch out when you do it on the trail....sticky fingers...who me... I did not eat those! :)

Newb
02-27-2006, 10:22
I'm working on a portable oven you can stick right into the coals of a fire.

Peaks
02-27-2006, 10:35
Bring an oven if you want to. However, most thru-hikers are out there to hike, not to camp. So, cooking is usually very basic. Most thru-hikers do not have the energy or enthusiasm to do any baking.

lbbrown
02-27-2006, 12:14
Wow thanks for sharing...I think you did a great job.
On a cold rainy day those hot biscuits with hmmmmm some strawberry jelly or honey with a hot cup of tea or coffee...sounds great!
Watch out when you do it on the trail....sticky fingers...who me... I did not eat those! :)
check out www.bakepacker.com (http://www.bakepacker.com). I've made blueberry muffins that turned out ok for my first try.

Sly
02-27-2006, 14:18
I let Little Debbie do my baking.

littlelaurel59
02-27-2006, 14:19
My son and I have used the Outback Oven over a liquid fuel stove. His scout patrol is envied by the others. It works great.

Not very practical for long distance ultralight trips (it weighs about a pound itself). After reading the above, I'm tempted to try it with an alcohol stove.:-?

snowhoe
02-27-2006, 14:57
Dont listen to peaks, if you want to cook in the back country do it. I bet if you made brownies while he was eating a half of a powerbar for dinner and saving the rest for breakfast he would love to have a piece of that brownie

max patch
02-27-2006, 15:29
Bring an oven if you want to. However, most thru-hikers are out there to hike, not to camp. So, cooking is usually very basic. Most thru-hikers do not have the energy or enthusiasm to do any baking.

Dont listen to peaks, if you want to cook in the back country do it. I bet if you made brownies while he was eating a half of a powerbar for dinner and saving the rest for breakfast he would love to have a piece of that brownie

I don't have a problem with what Peaks said. First, he said to bring an oven if you want to. Second, he correctly stated that most thru-hikers want to spend their time hiking, not camping. Very few thru hikers want to do anything more than boil some water for a Liptons.

Alligator
02-27-2006, 16:19
Not a thru-hiker specific forum either. It would be interesting to have a temperature reading for the air inside. The picture looks a bit like the biscuits may have fried. Maybe a small insert to lift the mixture off the direct flame.

Sly
02-27-2006, 16:50
You want your hot brownies? Stick your Little Debbies down your pants for a few minutes!