PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Mountains, Camerer Fire Tower question

Pringles
04-11-2019, 08:31
I was watching a VLOG, and the person said they might stay at the fire tower on Mt. Camerer. Sorry if I spelled that wrong. It’s the one on the north east side of GSMNP. Over the years, I’ve heard others talk about that. That’s not a legal site, is it? ?? This is a question, not finger pointing. Thanks for an answer.

Pringles

Gambit McCrae
04-11-2019, 08:45
It is not legal to camp there. But people do it.

Pringles
04-11-2019, 09:20
Thanks Gambit. I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure. It would be a nice place to spend an evening and a morning, but there are other nice places that are legal.

Pringles

Gambit McCrae
04-11-2019, 09:23
Thanks Gambit. I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure. It would be a nice place to spend an evening and a morning, but there are other nice places that are legal.

Pringles

A good rule of thumb I go by for GSMNP is if I cant go on the website and reserve a spot I know I cant sleep there

https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1

CalebJ
04-11-2019, 09:33
For what it's worth, you -can- stay on Mount Sterling next to its fire tower. Makes for an awesome morning wakeup.

Pringles
04-11-2019, 09:36
Gambit, It's been so long since I lived near the Smokys, I doubt I'll ever be staying there again.

CalebJ, It's the legality I was wondering about. It sounds like the official answer is no.

CalebJ
04-11-2019, 09:42
CalebJ, It's the legality I was wondering about. It sounds like the official answer is no.
And my point was that a legal option did exist just down the trail for a very similar experience.

HooKooDooKu
04-11-2019, 09:53
And my point was that a legal option did exist just down the trail for a very similar experience.
I don't know that "just down the trail" is quite the right description given that Mt Sterling Fire Tower is a whole mountain away.

But othwrwise it's a valid point that GSMNP does have a legal campsite by a fire tower.

Pringles
04-11-2019, 10:00
I'm sorry CalebJ. I didn't read carefully enough. Oops.

CalebJ
04-11-2019, 10:02
I don't know that "just down the trail" is quite the right description given that Mt Sterling Fire Tower is a whole mountain away.

But othwrwise it's a valid point that GSMNP does have a legal campsite by a fire tower.

Fair point. It's all a little relative, I suppose. Same corner of the GSMNP map.

Starchild
04-11-2019, 10:26
When I was a ridgerunner there, there was plenty of evidence of illegal nights spent in the tower, braggings on the tags people left there. Never saw anyone actually doing it however mainly because I was at my assigned shelter for the night when they would be stealthing there.

PatmanTN
04-11-2019, 13:19
Sure enough, the strong smell of urine all around the Cammerrer tower is an indicator of how often folks camp in the tower. I don't get the allure personally. It's a nice view but from that vantage you can hear the roar of the traffic below you on highway 32, the inside of the tower is dank, dingy and smelly, and as mentioned above, the outside often smells of urine from those camping inside that pee off the deck instead of walking down the steps. Just my opinion....

Ashepabst
04-11-2019, 14:02
It's a nice view but from that vantage you can hear the roar of the traffic below you on highway 32, the inside of the tower is dank, dingy and smelly, and as mentioned above, the outside often smells of urine from those camping inside that pee off the deck instead of walking down the steps. Just my opinion....

and the wind rattles the windows all night long

PatmanTN
04-11-2019, 15:10
The sunsets are quite nice though:

https://photos.smugmug.com/2017/June-2-4-GSMNP-East-loop/i-WbDSxPL/0/038b8be5/L/DSCN1854-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/2017/June-2-4-GSMNP-East-loop/i-BLQ6NGP/0/631e5603/L/DSCN1880-L.jpg

TNhiker
04-11-2019, 15:14
how often folks camp in the tower. I don't get the allure personally.

i think the allure is that (and i know its not), is that it has the "lodge like" feel to it.....

and of course, people are lazy and just dont wanna bring a tent or some other shelter and find the tower convenient....

and of course, there are those groups that just "wanna stick it to the govn't" and will break any rules/laws they feel they want to....

LazyLightning
04-11-2019, 19:51
oh yea that tower, I was thinking people are camping in the tower on the other end of the Smokies. I didn't and wouldn't camp there but this may be the nicest look out or fire tower on the entire trail imo… not that it's really high or even offering a full 360 view but it's just such a cool spot and the tower itself is awesome with the full enclosure and wrap around balcony. The view is alright to … those sunset pics above are pretty amazing. Lots of people were skipping this cause it's .6 off trail but it's actually a really nice little trail without much elevation change.

Analog_Kidd
04-11-2019, 21:51
A word of caution... That place is infested with rattle snakes. I nearly stepped on one at the base of the boulders, and I've heard similar stories from others.