View Full Version : Church for the AT? Article on 'AT Servants'

SavageLlama
02-27-2006, 12:00
Hmmm...

Hikers find mission in mountains Backpackers often eager to unburden
By Bill Osinski
The Atlanta Journal - Constitution
February 27, 2006

Oftentimes, the heaviest thing carried by hikers of the Appalachian Trail is a burdened soul.

To lighten those loads, Craig and Suzy Miles have created a ministry called Appalachian Trail Servants. Their brand of evangelizing comes after they and their volunteers have passed out buckets of trail mix and boxes of foot medicine to weary long-distance hikers.

"Most of the people who walk the trail are at a transition point in their lives," Craig said. Typically, they are young people recently graduated from college, or adults facing a crossroads such as retirement or divorce.

"They start off with questions like, 'What is my purpose in life? What am I going to do with myself now? It can be pretty scary," he said.

Surprisingly often, Suzy Miles said, people who started out seeking solitude in the wilderness will openly talk about such spiritual questions with someone they've just met.

"When you've walked through the same rainstorms with someone, and have been kept awake by the same person snoring at a campsite, then you're not really strangers," she said.

The Mileses spoke about their ministry Sunday at their home church, Mountain East Community Church in Lilburn. Their unusual mountain ministry started about three years ago when a brief prayer turned into a life-changing moment.

Craig, who grew up in Snellville and graduated from South Gwinnett High School, said he was praying for some direction in his life. At the time, he was working as a technician for an information technology company. He wanted to do something more in line with his education --- he has master's degrees in both philosophy and divinity studies.

At the end of his prayer, he glanced at a table. On it was a magazine with a cover story about missionaries who minister to hikers in China.

For Craig, the article was an answer to his prayer for guidance. He and Suzy, who was a college student at the time, decided to turn their pastime of hiking into a ministry. Rather than China, however, they chose to stay closer to home.

Suzy, a native of Dahlonega, had hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail with Craig. They'd been married only about a year, but she said she did not hesitate to support Craig's vision.

They developed a 50-page plan and presented it to officials of the North American Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. They received an endorsement, but were told they would have to raise funds on their own to make the ministry a reality.

The couple spoke at dozens of churches along the 2,175-mile Appalachian Trail, seeking financial support and volunteer workers.

This year, the third of their ministry, Craig and Suzy will leave their home near Cleveland and do a "through hike." That involves walking all way from Springer Mountain in North Georgia to the trail's northern terminus, the peak of Mount Katahdin in Maine.

Besides walking and talking with fellow hikers, the Mileses will work with the volunteers who support their ministry. These "trail angels" staff the way stations set up by Appalachian Trail Servants, usually at spots where the trail crosses a road. They offer food, drink, medical supplies, and conversation --- if it's wanted --- to the hikers.

Craig said the deep wood is an ideal setting for deep conversations.

# # #

kyhipo
02-27-2006, 12:28
I think its great and good luck to you all.ky

mingo
02-27-2006, 12:57
just a coupla more jesus freaks scamming their way through life

Sly
02-27-2006, 13:15
just a coupla more jesus freaks scamming their way through life

Hey, it's a tax write-off and the American way! ;)

Best of luck to them, it's just not my thing. I consider long distance hiking therapuetic and spritually fulfilling in itself without the need for outside intervention and guidance.

YMMV.

Singe03
02-27-2006, 13:16
Ugh, being "ministered" to by people who want to "save" me is one of the things I try to escape in the woods. I'm polite, I respect people's points of view, I'll cheerfully join in a prayer at a hostel, I had a number of conversations where the topics of religion or spirituality came up that went rather well, enjoyed talking with Rusty and a few other quite religious people along the trail, but none of them were pushy about things.

If they are as respectful of my beliefs as I would be of theres, I have no problem with it but I've encountered far too many street preachers, people with "missions" and born again zealots to not get nervious when someone uses the word "ministry" regarding my favored method of escape.

If they plan on making it known they are there to talk and just being there for people to approach, more power to them, it means they understand people are out there for different reasons and having time to reflect and sort things out on your own is a very common one. If it is going to be an in your face, active ministry, like the ones I used to see outside of concerts at the Axium and Fitgeralds in Houston, I really hope they decide that thru hiking is not their cup of tea and find another way to push their beliefs.

napster
02-27-2006, 13:19
I Love Yeshua and His Freaks...Excellent !!! Rock On !!!:jump

Sly
02-27-2006, 13:30

Jew for Jesus? :rolleyes:

kyhipo
02-27-2006, 13:41
just a coupla more jesus freaks scamming their way through lifeGod bless ya!freak on!!!

fishinfred
02-27-2006, 14:05
I met Craig in Hiawassii last year ,after reaching Dicks creek gap in a driving COLD rain ,it was my first Trail Magic ! Nothing like coming out of the woods ,freezing and soaked to see a couple guys with BAGS of fruit ,soda,and BOXES of cookies ,not to mention a free shuttle to town .There was no preaching or anything like that and I think its AWSOME what they are doing .Glad to hear that they will be hiking this year !
GOOD LUCK!
Anyone who goes out of their way to help a stinky hiker is an ANGEL in my book!
Happy Trails !
Fishinfred

Chef2000
02-27-2006, 14:46
I certainly was not at a "crossroads" in my life when I decided to hike, it was the only the only excuse I could come up with to take a year off and screw around.

Plesase do not preach to me, I will not listen.

Marta
02-27-2006, 15:11
This reminds me of that cult in New England that provides shelter to the weary, in hopes that some will fall into their clutches. For anyone who is hiking the AT in order to find answers, it seems to me somewhat nasty to cut the process short by having someone pop up and say, "Hey, don't look any further! I've already figured it out! Follow me!"

And there I was yesterday (Sunday) morning, looking out over the Piedmont from my stealth camp along the Foothills Trail, thinking to myself how much more uplifting to my spirit it is to be in the woods than to be in a church.

Newb
02-27-2006, 16:23
I guess my idea for "Backwoods Servants of the Dark Master Ministries" isn't so crazy after all!

wacocelt
02-27-2006, 17:05
Trail preachers are a great way to get me to do big miles and get out of thier vicinity. It bothers me how often a polite refusal to discuss religion only incites more discussion of religion.

I support and cherish freedom of anf FROM religion of all kinds. Be well.

Puck

Singe03
02-27-2006, 18:03
I guess my idea for "Backwoods Servants of the Dark Master Ministries" isn't so crazy after all!

I'd wear the T-shirt so long as it wasn't cotton!

Cookerhiker
02-27-2006, 18:13
My experiences on the Trail with religious discussions et al have been positive - no one was disrespectful or forcing one's own viewpoint as the only revealed truth in the universe. Last year I met 2 young Baptist ministers who were truly a delight; I noted such in my trail journal.

On the other hand, I was hitchhiking to start a day-hike/slack pack along Rt. 58 east of Damascus and I was picked up by a born-again preacher who hit on me (religion-wise) within 2 minutes. I'm comfortable talking about my faith but by the time the ride ended, our discussion had devolved such that he may have kicked me out. It wasn't sufficient to him for me to affirm my faith - I had to use his words of being "born again." When he asked me in so many words if I was "born again," I responded that I had faith in God's grace that I'd attain salvation. Don't think that was good enough for him, nor was it when I tried to explain the context of Jesus's "born again" statement (in response to a question from Nicodemus).

If I had known L. Wolf at the time, I would have sent this guy to his house!:cool:

Lone Wolf
02-27-2006, 18:23
Hell I probably know him, I may drink beer with him at Dot's. Them born agains are hypocrites.

Old Spice
02-27-2006, 18:31
I cannot even beging to express my contempt for this type of thing. It's a long story, but it makes me so mad that I can't linger long on this thread.

Frosty
02-27-2006, 19:13
I cannot even beging to express my contempt for this type of thing. It's a long story, but it makes me so mad that I can't linger long on this thread.What type of thing? Two people who did trail magic, found pleasure in helping others, and made it a life's work?

Is the Blueberry Patch included in your contempt?

The two about whom the article in Post #1 was written arranged for a shower trailer, normally used for disaster relief, to be at Trail days last year to provide free showers. (L. Wolf will remember - it was parked across from his house.)

No one likes being preached to, but before going bonkers and condemning people for being one way or another, why not first see if they are really that way?

So far, everyone has posted his pet peeve. Lots of the posts include my peeves, also. I consider myself spiritual, but not religious in the organized religion sense. I don't like religion pushed at me at all. I dislike the intolerance some highly "religious" people exhibit.

But to attribute these things to a pair of missionaries without cause is wrong.

I've met Craig and Suzy a couple times, and found them to be a pleasant young couple. Had it not been for the free showers, I would not have been aware of their mission. By the way, they were at SoRuck. Anyone have a problem there? Did you even know they were there?

Lately some of these threads have gotten pretty wild, and disrespectful toward hikers and now trail angels. Must be something in the water. Another reason for treating it, I suppose...

Tractor
02-27-2006, 19:33
...reminds me....a couple of years back I hiked a few days around a couple of preachers from South Carolina. Maybe saw them once a day, for 5 days or so. Camped at same spot a couple of times. Didn't know they were preachers until about day 5 and that was only due to a chance conversation between one and another hiker. They came to hike. Good folks with a different occupation......

Marta
02-27-2006, 20:58
What type of thing? Two people who did trail magic, found pleasure in helping others, and made it a life's work?

Lately some of these threads have gotten pretty wild, and disrespectful toward hikers and now trail angels. Must be something in the water. Another reason for treating it, I suppose...

Sorry if I seem to jump to conclusions, Frosty, but there are more than a few people in Charlotte who attempt to make every interaction a confrontation between good (them) and evil (everyone who doesn't believe exactly what they believe). Just this morning, while I was collecting the mail at the P.O., I noticed a pickup truck for a company that builds residential decks. However, much larger than the company name, was the quotation "And God so loved the world..." And this is someone who builds decks. I am instantly suspicious of, and hostile to, missionaries. Missionaries who are taking a holiday to hike the AT are one thing; missionaries who are combing the AT for lost souls...it gets my hackles up.

Disney
02-27-2006, 21:01
Don't beat it, just read it.

Frosty
02-27-2006, 21:49
Sorry if I seem to jump to conclusions, Frosty, but there are more than a few people in Charlotte who attempt to make every interaction a confrontation between good (them) and evil (everyone who doesn't believe exactly what they believe). Just this morning, while I was collecting the mail at the P.O., I noticed a pickup truck for a company that builds residential decks. However, much larger than the company name, was the quotation "And God so loved the world..." And this is someone who builds decks. I am instantly suspicious of, and hostile to, missionaries. Missionaries who are taking a holiday to hike the AT are one thing; missionaries who are combing the AT for lost souls...it gets my hackles up.I understand fully. It's such a hot button with so many people, me included. There are so many good people out there, but the ones who make the biggest impression are those who behave "holier than thou" or just push religion at you incessantly or have a super grasp of the "rules" of a given religion but no concept of spirituality.

I am as bad as the next person at jumping to stereotypes and conclusions. Probably the only reason I'm not this time is that I personally met Craig and Suzy.

A good reminder to me not to judge individuals with a group brush. I remember being annoyed at those two trolls who were ridiculing southerners in thread after thread, but what did I think? I looked at where they were from and said, "Typical New Yorkers."

Ah, well. The first step in getting better is recognizing one has a problem, eh?

Jovo
02-27-2006, 21:50
American religion (sometimes confused with Christianity) is a force in American pop culture.

John 3:16 signs in the end zone on TV.

Billboards quoting God.

Preachy bumper stickers.

Motorcycle gangs for Jesus.

Deck-builders for God's Love.

Hikers serving hikers on the AT for Christ. Yikes :-? .

Hypocrisy is not "souly" owned by born agains.

Cookerhiker
02-27-2006, 21:55
American religion (sometimes confused with Christianity) is a force in American pop culture.

John 3:16 signs in the end zone on TV.

Billboards quoting God.

Preachy bumper stickers.

Motorcycle gangs for Jesus.

Deck-builders for God's Love.

Hikers serving hikers on the AT for Christ. Yikes :-? .

Hypocrisy is not "souly" owned by born agains.

And to add to your list: baseball players who point to the sky everytime they get a base hit (It used to be only after homeruns but now it seems like every hit). I don't watch football - do players point to the heavens or say a prayer after every touchdown or sack (or other plays)?

freefall
02-27-2006, 22:49
And to add to your list: baseball players who point to the sky everytime they get a base hit (It used to be only after homeruns but now it seems like every hit). I don't watch football - do players point to the heavens or say a prayer after every touchdown or sack (or other plays)? And who are you(or anyone for that matter) to question when, how and how often an individual chooses to express thanks to their God? Granted, some probably do it for show, some are genuine but that's there business, not ours. It's not harming anyone.

Marta
02-27-2006, 23:10
And who are you(or anyone for that matter) to question when, how and how often an individual chooses to express thanks to their God? Granted, some probably do it for show, some are genuine but that's there business, not ours. It's not harming anyone.

What's weird about it is that it makes no sense. Thanking God for a home run implies that God wanted the other team to get scored against, that they're somehow less deserving of God's favor. So to me it seems as if it is harming someone; that the person giving thanks is thanking God for harming his opponent.

But I wandered far off the subject of hiking and will not continue to comment on this subject. Sorry for allowing myself to be drawn into it.

SavageLlama
02-27-2006, 23:15
Pure comedy.

http://www.atservants.org/

Mike
02-27-2006, 23:35
I agree with an earlier post, there is a huge disconnect between the stereotypical idea of western religion/Christianity and those who have had their lives transformed by Christ. I would urge anyone who has questions to look intently into the Bible. Try reading the Gospel of John.

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" -- Jim Elliot, missionary martyr who lost his life in the late 1950's trying to reach the Auca Indians of Ecuador. Jim Elliot's son now treats one of the Auca as his Grandfather. This Auca was among the party that killed his dad.

freefall
02-27-2006, 23:44
What's weird about it is that it makes no sense. Thanking God for a home run implies that God wanted the other team to get scored against, that they're somehow less deserving of God's favor. So to me it seems as if it is harming someone; that the person giving thanks is thanking God for harming his opponent.

But I wandered far off the subject of hiking and will not continue to comment on this subject. Sorry for allowing myself to be drawn into it.
TO see "getting scored against" as harmful is ridiculous. It's just a friggin' game. As a former football and rugby player, I was thankful for my ability to perform in the game. When we lost, yeah it sucked, but we didn't feel harmed. And I really doubt any God would really care who won or lost a sporting event.

Tinker
02-28-2006, 00:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by napster

Jew for Jesus? :rolleyes:

No, actually Yeshua was "Jesus'" real name. There is no word "Jesus" in the Hebrew language. Joshua, the man who took over Moses' ministry after his death had the same name. Both Yeshuas led God's people to the "Promised Land"- the first one, physically, the second, spiritually.

napster
02-28-2006, 01:05
Shalom Tinker :sun

dperry
02-28-2006, 01:06
And I really doubt any God would really care who won or lost a sporting event.

Actually, He does. He just doesn't care about it for the same reasons you and I do. :)

"Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered." (Matthew 10:29-30)

". . .the Divine Providence has no regard for that which passes away shortly, and terminates with a man's life in the world, but that it has respect to that which endures to eternity, and which, consequently has no end. " (Emanuel Swedenborg, The New Jerusalem and its Heavenly Doctrine, 269.)

Teatime
02-28-2006, 04:03
Pop Christianity is the scurge of American churches. It's even infiltrated my Catholic parish. Ah, but there is a Tridentine Latin Mass only 30 minutes away that it hasn't touched.

Newb
02-28-2006, 10:04
God is dead. I am the superman.

The Solemates
02-28-2006, 11:01
Looks like they have a good thing going to us.

Glenn
02-28-2006, 16:16
I figure for the amount of people Craig and Suzy "minister" to with trail magic, contributors are getting there money's worth. My church has 600 members and 7 on the payroll. Craig and Suzy are hiking too. They participate in every part of the hiking community. I am a Christian but am ashamed of what today's culture has done to the church. Is trail angeling my ministry? Honestly, I might do it if I were not a Christian. I preach to no one but share my beliefs when asked. Why is it so popular to bash Christians? Probably it's too easy, right?

LIhikers
02-28-2006, 16:41
I enjoy talking about religion and beliefs, as well as most anything else, as long as the word "I" is used a lot. As in, "I" belive such and such because of... Once the other folks start using phrases like" you should" or "you must" or "you have to" then all the enjoyment goes out of the conversation.

Frosty
02-28-2006, 17:48
Why is it so popular to bash Christians? Probably it's too easy, right?ready for martyrdom, are we? People bash rude and obnoxious behavior. It doesn't matter is someone is selling a car or a religion, if they are obnoxious and pushy about it, people are not gong to like it and will talk about it.

The "bashing" isn't because the rude person is a Christian, it is because they were rude. There are rude Christians, you know. And rude Baptists, Democrats, Republicans, and computer programmers.

Admittedly, if enough Christians, or used car salesmen, or republicans, or whatever group, has a large percentage of rude people, or pushy people, they will be perceived as a group to be that way.

That's where the danger lies, and what is happening some places. Some experience a rude Christian, and attribute it to all Christians, and some hear a negative comment and attribute that attitude toward all non-Christians.

Live as an example for others. Let people see the way you think life is to be lived. If someone asks, talk to them. If they like what you have, they may try the same. But you can't harrangue anyone but a fool into believing.

Not sure why I'me even posting here. I think Marta is smarter than I am. I'll leave now....

KirkMcquest
02-28-2006, 18:54
I understand fully. It's such a hot button with so many people, me included. There are so many good people out there, but the ones who make the biggest impression are those who behave "holier than thou" or just push religion at you incessantly or have a super grasp of the "rules" of a given religion but no concept of spirituality.

I am as bad as the next person at jumping to stereotypes and conclusions. Probably the only reason I'm not this time is that I personally met Craig and Suzy.

A good reminder to me not to judge individuals with a group brush. I remember being annoyed at those two trolls who were ridiculing southerners in thread after thread, but what did I think? I looked at where they were from and said, "Typical New Yorkers."

Ah, well. The first step in getting better is recognizing one has a problem, eh?

Glad to see your on the road to recovery, Frosty. Nice to know that all my work didn't go to waste.

In regards to preachers, most approach you with the word, but are easily put off by saying ' not interested'. I haven't yet met one that was too pushy or wouldn't take no for an answer. I say let'm preach, they might reach someone in need some day.

Tinker
02-28-2006, 19:19
is of the same opinion, still."

The old adage applies equally to all walks of life.

I was fooled by a cult for a number of years into thinking that I was a good "Christian".

They used the Bible to do it.

I still felt that something was missing, so I kept searching, still using the Bible.

The most eye opening thing that I saw (was shown, actually), is that the New Testament is not at odds in any way to the Old, and that The Lord is most impressed with those who are humble, (will listen to others, even when they think they know the answer).

Christianity is an extension of Judaism. The promise given to Abraham, to inherit the "Promised Land" is the same promise to Christians.

According to the Bible, those who love God will be in the eternal perfect Kingdom of Messiah, not those who do all the right things for fear of ending up in the lake of fire - that's still selfish motivation.

If, for eternity, we'll be faced every day with our God, we'd better make sure we enjoy His company now, or we certainly won't be getting it on "the other side".

God wants people to know Him, unfortunately, He doesn't have many qualified spokespeople, they're too busy altering the message for their own profit.

dperry
03-01-2006, 01:01
"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion, still."

:clap :clap :clap :clap

"From this may be evident the nature of worship that is forced and of worship that is not forced. Worship that is forced is corporeal, lifeless, vague and gloomy: corporeal because it is of the body and not of the mind, lifeless because there is no life in it, vague because there is no understanding in it, and gloomy because there is no heavenly delight in it. On the other hand, worship that is not forced, when it is genuine, is spiritual, living, clear and joyful: spiritual because there is spirit from the Lord in it, living because there is life from the Lord in it, clear because there is wisdom from the Lord in it, and joyful because there is heaven from the Lord in it. "

--Emanuel Swedenborg, Divine Providence 137

Newb
03-01-2006, 11:29
You should all read the "The Razor's Edge" by Somerset Maugham.

Tinker
03-01-2006, 11:42
:clap :clap :clap

"From this may be evident the nature of worship that is forced and of worship that is not forced. Worship that is forced is corporeal, lifeless, vague and gloomy: corporeal because it is of the body and not of the mind, lifeless because there is no life in it, vague because there is no understanding in it, and gloomy because there is no heavenly delight in it. On the other hand, worship that is not forced, when it is genuine, is spiritual, living, clear and joyful: spiritual because there is spirit from the Lord in it, living because there is life from the Lord in it, clear because there is wisdom from the Lord in it, and joyful because there is heaven from the Lord in it. "

--Emanuel Swedenborg, Divine Providence 137

This person can hike with me anytime.:welcome

God isn't dead, even if He's dead in the minds of many. Ego kills the love of God in the hearts, mind, and soul of Humankind. Most of us abhor ego in others. It's a good thing when we see and recon it dead in ourselves.

The wonders of Nature should draw us to its Creator. He, alone, can remove the haze of pride from our eyes and allow us to see his workmanship more clearly, but it our willingness to allow Him to do it which is lacking, because it costs us our ability to boast in our own intellect and works.

Frosty
03-01-2006, 12:19
Glad to see your on the road to recovery, Frosty. Nice to know that all my work didn't go to waste.
You misunderstand me. My opinion of you has not changed. You and a few others make this web site much less than it could be. It is really sad when you could make a group better if you would simply go away.

But I recognize your character likely has nothing to do with your being a New Yorker, and in truth, there are internet imbeciles a lot worse than you. I guess I can be thankful for that.

KirkMcquest
03-01-2006, 12:31
You misunderstand me. My opinion of you has not changed. You and a few others make this web site much less than it could be. It is really sad when you could make a group better if you would simply go away.

But I recognize your character likely has nothing to do with your being a New Yorker, and in truth, there are internet imbeciles a lot worse than you. I guess I can be thankful for that.

Aah, your not quite there yet. I'll be waiting for my apology, but only when your ready. Remember fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred.;)

Singe03
03-01-2006, 14:08
God wants people to know Him, unfortunately, He doesn't have many qualified spokespeople, they're too busy altering the message for their own profit.

The single best statement I've ever seen to reflect my opinion on the topic even though we probabily have very different views of the nature of God.

icemanat95
03-01-2006, 14:48
is of the same opinion, still."

The old adage applies equally to all walks of life.

I was fooled by a cult for a number of years into thinking that I was a good "Christian".

They used the Bible to do it.

I still felt that something was missing, so I kept searching, still using the Bible.

The most eye opening thing that I saw (was shown, actually), is that the New Testament is not at odds in any way to the Old, and that The Lord is most impressed with those who are humble, (will listen to others, even when they think they know the answer).

Christianity is an extension of Judaism. The promise given to Abraham, to inherit the "Promised Land" is the same promise to Christians.

According to the Bible, those who love God will be in the eternal perfect Kingdom of Messiah, not those who do all the right things for fear of ending up in the lake of fire - that's still selfish motivation.

If, for eternity, we'll be faced every day with our God, we'd better make sure we enjoy His company now, or we certainly won't be getting it on "the other side".

Yup, pretty much my understanding as well. We spend way too much time trying to exclude those we don't agree with from the Kingdom of Heaven, and not looking at the character of their lives.

God doesn't give ball players goals or touchdowns or hits or homeruns or catches that save the game. Neither are players who truly understand something of the subject thank God for a single hit or touchdown. Instead they are acknowledging the gifts that God gave them that enabled them to hit, throw, catch, kick, run, etc.

So we thank God for our gifts, and then try to be worthy of them.

D'Artagnan
03-01-2006, 17:18
I appreciate and understand what they're doing and personally believe their motives are pure. I wish them only the best.

If you have time, you might check out Vapor's 2005 thru-hike on Trailjournals (dot) com. (He's part of their effort.)

general
03-02-2006, 21:10
Hell I probably know him, I may drink beer with him at Dot's. Them born agains are hypocrites.\

they are from here in Cleveland GA. i saw a write up on them in the local news paper. i'm gonna look em up and introduce them to the kill me quick. then they'll see Jesus by god.

weary
03-02-2006, 21:31
....God isn't dead, even if He's dead in the minds of many. Ego kills the love of God in the hearts, mind, and soul of Humankind. Most of us abhor ego in others. It's a good thing when we see and recon it dead in ourselves.

The wonders of Nature should draw us to its Creator. He, alone, can remove the haze of pride from our eyes and allow us to see his workmanship more clearly, but it our willingness to allow Him to do it which is lacking, because it costs us our ability to boast in our own intellect and works.
If anyone sees any meaning in these words, please translate. They have no intrinsic meaning that I can detect. Think babble.

Weary

Skidsteer
03-02-2006, 21:52
Originally Posted by Tinker
....God isn't dead, even if He's dead in the minds of many. Ego kills the love of God in the hearts, mind, and soul of Humankind. Most of us abhor ego in others. It's a good thing when we see and recon it dead in ourselves.

If anyone sees any meaning in these words, please translate. They have no intrinsic meaning that I can detect. Think babble.
Weary

The words have meaning, Weary. But the understanding of the words has as a prerequisite that which you are not willing to perform, according to some of your past posts. The prerequisite is a step of faith. ;)

"You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it" G.K. Chesterton

weary
03-02-2006, 21:59
Originally Posted by Tinker

The words have meaning, Weary. But the understanding of the words has as a prerequisite that which you are not willing to perform, according to some of your past posts. The prerequisite is a step of faith. ;)

"You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it" G.K. Chesterton
Which, of course, poses a problem for us souls who God apparently endowed with logic, but not faith.

Skidsteer
03-02-2006, 22:18
Which, of course, poses a problem for us souls who God apparently endowed with logic, but not faith.

A state of being that I am sympathetic with, since I possess that bent myself. :)

Dances with Mice
03-02-2006, 22:47
I believe I ran into these folks (...original post...) last year at Tesnatee Gap after completing a Trail maintenace project. I had one of their drinks but declined their literature. They didn't press further, no hard sell.

I also arrived there about 10 minutes after Bramble, so it would have been hard to get an edge in wordwise anyway.

Papa Razzi
03-02-2006, 22:57
Like several others on this thread, I also met Craig and Suzy last year in Georgia. They were wonderful people, and I can't speak highly enough of them. They definitely weren't pushy evangelists. I talked to Craig a little bit about their ministry, and if I recall correctly, he said something along the lines that they'd help to take care of hiker's physical needs first, and those that had spirtual needs would in turn come to them.

dje97001
03-02-2006, 23:00
Ahh... but as all critical rationalists (or logical Positivists) know, a belief in the ultimate power (or truth) of logic is in itself not something that can be empirically tested and therefore must be taken on the basis of faith.

dje97001
03-02-2006, 23:03
see anything by Karl Popper.;):D

Sorry for the interjection...

Blissful
03-03-2006, 14:54
I talked to Craig a little bit about their ministry, and if I recall correctly, he said something along the lines that they'd help to take care of hiker's physical needs first, and those that had spirtual needs would in turn come to them.

You got that right. Can't force the idea of needing God down anyone's throat. No way, no how. I got tired of my sisters shoving the idea that "I needed God" down my throat. One of my sisters even gave me a letter telling me what I needed to supposedly "do" to be happy and get right. Yeah, sure. I said - What makes you think you know everthing and that you know everything about me? I told them to buzz off and get on with their little born-again spiritual groupie thing. I was not interested in being a conquest.

Until I was so dead drunk one night, lonely, depressed, not wanting to live, and then I sought God out. Picked up the Bible and started reading. Even asked my (gulp) sisters to pray for me. It was like waking up to a brand new world after that....everything looked different. And all that stuff I thought I couldn't live without - I could live without. I had something better. But ultimately I had to find it out for myself.

DMA, 2000
03-13-2006, 01:36
I don't watch football - do players point to the heavens or say a prayer after every touchdown or sack

Used to be like that. Now it happens after a 7 yard gain...or after tackling a receiver who just caught a pass.

MedicineMan
03-13-2006, 06:45
1. no religeon
2. no politics

Curt
03-13-2006, 15:53

I agree one hundred percent with the above statement. I am a Christian but I preach Christianity by the way I live my life and by a clean vocabilary.

Pirate
03-13-2006, 16:29
Keep preaching in Church where it belongs.

Pedestrian
03-15-2006, 10:16
\

they are from here in Cleveland GA. i saw a write up on them in the local news paper. i'm gonna look em up and introduce them to the kill me quick. then they'll see Jesus by god.

Is this a physical threat? I would like to know were this type of anger comes from.

Mini-Mosey
03-17-2006, 05:55
Well, personally, I'm extremely open to talking to them....if, as stated in other posts, they don't get so dogmatic that they try to push a viewpoint on me. There have been a couple of people I met along the trail who broached the topic of faith with me, and I was awed by it. (Both were ministers.) Hiking and being out in nature is my way of going to church.

Dances with Mice
03-17-2006, 07:17
Is this a physical threat? I would like to know were this type of anger comes from.It's a threat to buy them a drink ... he's talking about tequila.

Pedestrian
03-17-2006, 10:15
It's a threat to buy them a drink ... he's talking about tequila.
Forgive my ignorance. Please explain.

DavidNH
03-17-2006, 10:36
geez mingo.. seems you never ever cease to make condescending negative comments. I have got you on my ignore list and yet folks for some reason quote you.. (please guys just ingnore this nut).

As for these evangelzing folks..

yeah..I'll take the trail mix thanks very much. And I'll be glad to listen. If they precede to overload me with scripture I'll just move on. As I see it..a true Christian would seek to comfort and give for the joy of doing so..not simply for the purpose of conerting others to their brand of Christianity.

David

Dances with Mice
03-17-2006, 14:02
Forgive my ignorance. Please explain.I should let the General answer, but I understood the term to mean a strong alcoholic drink with lots of "t'kill ya", or even tequila neat, enough of which could cause one to see the face of Gawd. In context, post #6:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=176936#post176936

Pedestrian
03-17-2006, 14:10
Thanks Mr. Mice.
Simply my ignorance.
I don't drink so I have no knowledge these terms.
I don't even know what "tequila neat" means.
My faith in Whiteblaze has been restored.

arch_incubus
03-17-2006, 18:22
First of all, Thanks to SavageLlama for the link to their site.

Second, Part of the reason i am posting this is because the couple in question link back to this site from theirs, and i hope that they will run across this. (Didn't feel right putting something like this in a ministries guest book. So if the general consensus is that this post should be removed, i shall gladly consent.)

On to business. So long as they can take "No.", "Sorry, not interested.", "I'm already affiliated with a different Diety/Dieties." for a response, then there shouldn't be a problem. However, if listening to their schpiel is considered 'payment' for their services, they should let people know ahead of time so that they can opt out of the entire situation. I have no problem with people sharing their experiences in pretty much any area, but when it becomes preaching, that's another matter. (Apologies if i seem a little testy on this subject, but i'm an ex-minister myself and still feel bad about pushing my former beliefs toward so many others.) According to the christian 'Bible', Jesus did not force his beliefs/ways on others (with the exception of the money-changers in the temple, before someone points that one out) and even gave some advace on how to express ones faith...

Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."

So please, feel free to express your self and if someone shows interest, feel free to share your thoughts with them. Just remember that everyone has their own journey and lives their own life. Please respect that. (BTW- don't read too much into the nick. It's from Sci-Fi/Horror convention influence rather than anything 'demonic'.)

arch_incubus

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an IDIOT problem..."

weary
03-17-2006, 21:52
I agree one hundred percent with the above statement. I am a Christian but I preach Christianity by the way I live my life and by a clean vocabilary.
Well, I certainly consider myself as a spiritual person -- though only rarely as a "Christian."

Weary. 207-443-2925