PDA

View Full Version : Seth Warner and Congdon Shelters

brian.spigel
04-16-2019, 11:32
Howdy.

I'm trying to help a novice friend with hiking/camping/backpacking. He has the interest, but he's hesitant to go in to the back country by himself. Unfortunately we don't live near each other, so my help is limited to advice and planning assistance.

He lives near Albany, NY. I'm trying to convince him that 1 or 2 nights on the AT/LT in Vermont (just north of the Mass line) would be a good way to ease into backpacking- plenty of people to meet, safety in numbers, moderate terrain, shelters and privies, etc. I'm trying to convince him to hike 1 or 2 days north, then return south to his car in Williamstown/North Adams, Mass.

So in order to give him solid advice, I'm looking for some confirmation:
- Does the Seth Warner Shelter still exist in 2019?
- Does the Congdon Shelter still exist in 2019?
- Is there a shelter in Clarksburg State Forest, Mass (north of Mass Rt 2 and South of the Vermont line)?

Thanks,
Double D

(x-post with LT forum)

Sarcasm the elf
04-16-2019, 11:43
Both Congdon and Seth Warner shelters are listed in the 2019 ALDHA Companion. I visited both in 2017 and they were in good condition. Overall I think your recommended plan sounds good.

Two concerns to note.

1) The area is “closed” until after memorial day due to mud season so that the trail has time to dry out. I’m not sure if the closure is an actual regulation, but it’s definitely a recommendation.

2) The Greylock Community Club in North Adams is not allowing hikers to park on their property at the moment due to constructio adjacent to their lot. There will hopefully be alternate long term parking available in town this summer but the maintaining club is still working on it.

EDIT TO ADD: There is a primitive campsite (no shelter) about 2-2.5 miles north of North Adam before the VT border, but I don’t remember much about it.

full conditions
04-16-2019, 11:52
Both Congdon and Seth Warner shelters are listed in the 2019 ALDHA Companion. I visited both in 2017 and they were in good condition. Overall I think your recommended plan sounds good.

Two concerns to note.

1) The area is “closed” until after memorial day due to mud season so that the trail has time to dry out. I’m not sure if the closure is an actual regulation, but it’s definitely a recommendation.

2) The Greylock Community Club in North Adams is not allowing hikers to park on their property at the moment due to constructio adjacent to their lot. There will hopefully be alternate long term parking available in town this summer but the maintaining club is still working on it.

EDIT TO ADD: There is a primitive campsite (no shelter) about 2-2.5 miles north of North Adam before the VT border, but I don’t remember much about it.

That campsite was in good shape when I stayed there two years ago - a scattering of tent platforms and a good water source nearby. We saw a bunch of people hike by during the afternoon (I assume headed for Seth Warner) but we were the only ones to spend the night. Place dosent look like it gets heavily used.

brian.spigel
04-16-2019, 12:00
Thanks.

I'm aware of mud season. And parking was going to be my next question.

Can you recommend a source that would announce a new parking policy? Maybe their local paper or the ALDHA website?