PDA

View Full Version : Wild Azalea Trail

Sue
02-27-2006, 12:36
I'm planning on hiking the Wild Azalea Trail in Louisiana at the end of March. I'll be hiking with my family and we plan to hike one way.

I am having trouble finding a shuttle. Does anyone have any information on obtaining a shuttle for the Wild Azalea Trail?

Also, has anyone hiked it? Any good information? We plan to take 4-5 days to hike it. I see where people have hiked it in less time. We might do a side hike while we are there or just take our time and enjoy being out in nature. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Our main issue, though, is finding a shuttle. I'm not having any luck. Is there a commercial shuttle? Volunteer shuttles?

Red Cake
02-27-2006, 16:59
Hi Sue,
the Wild Azalea trail is only 26 miles long. If you add the Kincade spur trail, you can squeeze another 5 miles into it. It usually takes me about 8 hours to walk the 26 miles with short breaks. There is plenty of water along the trail, however I would filter and treat it chemically as that area is low-lying and susceptible to agricultural runoff. I would be happy to shuttle you back to your car. You can email me at [email protected].

All the best,
-Bob

Seeker
02-27-2006, 20:26
i'm about an hour from Alexandria. depending on my work schedule, i'd be happy to help you out too... PM me when you get details/times.

Sue
02-28-2006, 12:27
Thanks for the reply.

We plan to get on the trail on Sunday, March 26, 2006. Morning would be best, but we are flexible.

We arrive in New Orleans Saturday afternoon and we plan to stay in Lafayette Saturday night, so we can get some good Cajun food, and organize our gear.

I am hoping we can work something out with either you (Seeker) or Bob (Red Cake). If you want to email me directly, you can email me at
[email protected]